PDA

View Full Version : I hate everything associated with Treo 650s

PassRush
04-17-2006, 01:06 PM
Thats right, you heard it here first. Passrush hates Palm One Treo 650s and all treos for that matter. Every day I have a customer walk into the store with a Treo problem. Here I am, sitting, trying to figure out why some rich Boca blueblood cannot recieve G-Mail(or several other e-mail services for that matter) on his treo. I can tell everybody why, right now. TREO 650S ARE THE WORST SMARTPHONE EVER MADE. The design is great, everything else sucks. The GPRS/EDGE conection is inconsistant and a pain to work with, it is not UMTS compatible, the bluetooth hardly ever works and the screen is way too delicate to be a touchscreen. Instead of the Treo, I would recomend any other smart phone, at the moment the best option is the DMS Cingular 8125.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, you are not alone, I expect less than 50% of the posters here to have any idea what a Treo 650 is, let alone the technical terms I showed off in this post.

If this thread does not interest you, feel free to discuss how much you hate your cell phone provider in general

GreenMonster
04-17-2006, 01:17 PM
I own a PPC-6700 and it owns Treo's.. I agree those 650's are pieces, and on top that people that buy them have no clue how to use them.. I totally understand your pain, its like when I go to the sprint store and no more about all there PDA phones than they do..

tucker
04-17-2006, 01:29 PM
i was about to buy one too..like today buy one

PassRush
04-17-2006, 01:35 PM
i was about to buy one too..like today buy one

Dont, there are better options than the Treo. Look into the HP Ipaq or 8125.

Nappy Roots
04-17-2006, 02:04 PM
I own a PPC-6700 and it owns Treo's.. I agree those 650's are pieces, and on top that people that buy them have no clue how to use them.. I totally understand your pain, its like when I go to the sprint store and no more about all there PDA phones than they do..

:yes:

i had the new blackberry, its a piece. i hated it. PCC-6700 is amazing compared to that thing.

tucker
04-17-2006, 02:29 PM
i was also looking at the 8125..thats nice phone too...

FinHeavenAJ
04-17-2006, 03:01 PM
two people here at work own these. they are trash. i would estimate that I spend about 1-2 hours a week per phone trouble shooting them. it constant breaks or has problems.

Worst. Phone. Ever. (AND they have sprint service!!!!!!! jeez)

NaboCane
04-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Im sorry, but you're all smoking crack.

The Treo 650 is a classic, a phone/PDA that has consistently providedly 2/3 of the people who work with me - and my wife - flawless, impeccable, reliable service for the last 2 years, since its beta testing here.

I have to believe that it's the service that's making it lousy in each of these cases. Especially Sprint, AJ, they haven't gotten anything right since they were strictly a long distance company. :rolleyes:

Here's how bad Sprint is: 6 years ago I ate a $250 phone and over $200 in broken contract fees, just to get out from under that company's lousy coverage and horrible, horrible customer service.

FinHeavenAJ
04-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Definitely a valid point. Many times services put restrictions on phones. For example, Verizon loves their own technology and sometimes will make phones not fully capable of its full potential. Does that make any sense :lol:

FinHeavenAJ
04-17-2006, 03:11 PM
BTW - while I don't have it, I like the Samsung i730.

NaboCane
04-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Thats right, you heard it here first. Passrush hates Palm One Treo 650s and all treos for that matter. Every day I have a customer walk into the store with a Treo problem. Here I am, sitting, trying to figure out why some rich Boca blueblood cannot recieve G-Mail(or several other e-mail services for that matter) on his treo. I can tell everybody why, right now. TREO 650S ARE THE WORST SMARTPHONE EVER MADE. The design is great, everything else sucks. The GPRS/EDGE conection is inconsistant and a pain to work with, it is not UMTS compatible, the bluetooth hardly ever works and the screen is way too delicate to be a touchscreen. Instead of the Treo, I would recomend any other smart phone, at the moment the best option is the DMS Cingular 8125.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, you are not alone, I expect less than 50% of the posters here to have any idea what a Treo 650 is, let alone the technical terms I showed off in this post.

If this thread does not interest you, feel free to discuss how much you hate your cell phone provider in general

The Treo wasn't built to be EDGE-compatible, it's retroactively been made compatible through switch software enhancements. And those simply don't work as well as the real thing. And it was never designed to be UMTS-compatible, UMTS simply wasn't deployed on any network before last year - the Treo 650 was designed over 4 years ago.

You can't fault a phone for not being able to perform tasks it wasn't designed for. And that email thing? That's an internal issue that keeps going round-and-round among IT, switch software, and the email providers. It's not the phone's fault, evidenced by the fact that we had the same issues here at first with that function, but have since ironed it out and it's seamless at present.

The real problem? Yours being as mature a market as it is, there's quite a lot of old legacy equipment deployed on sites that hasn't been upgraded yet, because in a market like that (bellsouth was one of the first to provide widespread analog cellular service all over Florida) it's a daunting - and VERY expensive undertaking. They don't tell you that at the store level, because they want you to be all about the positives and just sell.

GreenMonster
04-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Definitely a valid point. Many times services put restrictions on phones. For example, Verizon loves their own technology and sometimes will make phones not fully capable of its full potential. Does that make any sense :lol:

Verizon's 700palm high speed internet is much slower than Sprints EVDO network.. I live in downtown Atlanta so I am always in an EVDO network area and it rocks.. I have gotten over 800kbps downloads on my phone at dslreports, something that the verizon 700p only dreams of.. A guy did a side by side comparison and the Verizon network phone fell far, far behind..

PassRush
04-17-2006, 03:19 PM
Im sorry, but you're all smoking crack.

The Treo 650 is a classic, a phone/PDA that has consistently providedly 2/3 of the people who work with me - and my wife - flawless, impeccable, reliable service for the last 2 years, since its beta testing here.

I have to believe that it's the service that's making it lousy in each of these cases. Especially Sprint, AJ, they haven't gotten anything right since they were strictly a long distance company. :rolleyes:

Here's how bad Sprint is: 6 years ago I ate a $250 phone and over $200 in broken contract fees, just to get out from under that company's lousy coverage and horrible, horrible customer service.

It is not so much the network but the entire interface of the phone has so many design flaws they very seldom are problem free. Sure, about 25% of the Treo users I deal with on a daily basis are very, very happy with it but the other 75% hate it. I for one, cannot stand it. There are so many other options as far as smartphones go. Besides, if you are going to use a smartphone isnt it a better idea to have a phone that runs on a Windows operating system? Personaly, I used to have an MPX220 and I then upgraded to an Audiovox SMT 5600 and loved both of them. The 8125 probably the best on the market right now

NaboCane
04-17-2006, 03:28 PM

Exactly. Look at the new Treo 700 as a good example (offered only by Verizon right now). Word is filtering back now that since its market release, of all the functionalities advertised for it maybe 50% actually work. That's not to mention that the ones that do work don't work 100% as advertised.

The problem is a typical one when there's a leap in technology as great as the one from 2G to 3G, which all carriers are implementing since last year; the first equipment for that technology will have some bugs.

Verizon's EVDO technology for 3G is nice in and of itself; the problem is one of signal robustness. Verizon operates strictly in the 1800-1900Mhz spectrum; that part of the frequency spectrum has the advantage of having the clearest, prurest voice signal, but it comes at the price of decreased robustness of the signal compared to the carriers that can transmit in the 850-900Mhz frequency spectrum as well as 1800-1900. That lower frequency range means that the signal is so robust that it can shoot through solid concrete, or trees, or the majority of the obstacles to coverage. 1800-1900 by itself is simply limited by its nature.

You think all this is complicated? Wait until late next year, when the first rumblings of 4G come rolling across the mobile landscape...:evil:

NaboCane
04-17-2006, 03:35 PM
It is not so much the network but the entire interface of the phone has so many design flaws they very seldom are problem free. Sure, about 25% of the Treo users I deal with on a daily basis are very, very happy with it but the other 75% hate it. I for one, cannot stand it. There are so many other options as far as smartphones go. Besides, if you are going to use a smartphone isnt it a better idea to have a phone that runs on a Windows operating system? Personaly, I used to have an MPX220 and I then upgraded to an Audiovox SMT 5600 and loved both of them. The 8125 probably the best on the market right now

I have an MPx220 that I've been using for 2 years, and unfortunately it's on its last legs...I'm pretty hard on my phones. I'm about to upgrade, and I'm hating life. I love the windows mobile platform and the interface is the most intuitive I've used, and that covers a lot of ground. So I'm holding out to see if my MPx will hold out until the new Motorola Q hits; that is going to be the sweetest, hottest little phone/PDA. UMTS-compatible out of the gate, blackberry-type capabilities - it'll be the first truly, fully-integrated-functionality handset on the market. All in a sexy little package that weighs less than half the Treo's and smaller dimensions than even the new blackberry.:D Can't wait.

PassRush
04-17-2006, 05:24 PM
The Treo wasn't built to be EDGE-compatible, it's retroactively been made compatible through switch software enhancements. And those simply don't work as well as the real thing. And it was never designed to be UMTS-compatible, UMTS simply wasn't deployed on any network before last year - the Treo 650 was designed over 4 years ago.

You can't fault a phone for not being able to perform tasks it wasn't designed for. And that email thing? That's an internal issue that keeps going round-and-round among IT, switch software, and the email providers. It's not the phone's fault, evidenced by the fact that we had the same issues here at first with that function, but have since ironed it out and it's seamless at present.

The real problem? Yours being as mature a market as it is, there's quite a lot of old legacy equipment deployed on sites that hasn't been upgraded yet, because in a market like that (bellsouth was one of the first to provide widespread analog cellular service all over Florida) it's a daunting - and VERY expensive undertaking. They don't tell you that at the store level, because they want you to be all about the positives and just sell.

Excelent points, Nabo. Yes, I did go overboard when I brought UMTS into this discussion because you are right, UMTS was not even in planning when the 650 was released. I do, however, fault Palm for half assing it on the Edge capabilitys, as it was well in design paralel to the Treo. While your argument on the e-mail is valid I believe that the phone, and more acuratly, Plam has to be held at least somewhat responisble for not flashing the necesary software to the unit. I have no idea if such a software, or any solution for that matter is in existance but the bottom line is that it is a glitch that should have been resolved is still a inconveniance. You make great points but in the end, the Treo is inferior to other handsets in some of the most important departments