PDA

View Full Version : Church

iceblizzard69
03-09-2003, 10:59 PM
How often do all of you go to church, or temple, or the mosque, or whatever religion you are? Also, what religion are you? I wonder how many religions we got over here at finheaven.

I never go to church, and I mean never. I haven't been there in like 8 years, and that was for a funeral. I was born Catholic but I am pretty much an atheist except I celebrate Christmas.

Sniper
03-09-2003, 11:27 PM
I try to go every Sunday. I probably miss one Sunday every 3 or 4 months for some reason or other (like traveling). I'm Roman Catholic.

That being said, I think belief in God, Creator etc. is more of an inner, spiritual thing than an organized, group thing.

Dajesus
03-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Oh man did you open a can of worms! There is nothing i hate more in any society than organized religion/ more so churches. I won't go off on why becuase I realize some people need them, and I don't want to insult anyone's beleafs. To answer your question I have been inside of a church 3 times. First time to get babtized(didn't have controll over that.) 2nd time for my grandmother's funeral. 3rd time sisters wedding. I hope to never see anohter one again.

iceblizzard69
03-09-2003, 11:54 PM
I wasn't even baptised, I only went to church for a funeral and thats it really.

Kamikaze
03-10-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69
...except I celebrate Christmas.

You mean Gift Day! Or Festivus!

dolfan06
03-10-2003, 07:02 AM
i go about twice a month on the average. i don't go when we're camping, but i work that around the second sunday of the month when i walk security in the church parking lot! things are getting pretty bad, when you have to have security at a church. haven't caught anybody yet, but i hate a theif about as much as anybody! i carry a big manzanita walking stick, and if i catch somebody breaking into a car, he better hope the police get there in a hurry!;) :rolleyes:

Barbarian
03-10-2003, 07:07 AM
Well, instead of Christmas, I celebrate Yule.

I'm a Celtic Pagan.

I don't go to church, but I do have an alter at my house that I pray at on occasion and during the Sabbats.

dolfan06
03-10-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Barbarian

I'm a Celtic Pagan.

I don't go to church, but I do have an alter at my house that I pray at on occasion and during the Sabbats. i don't go to church as often as some, but when i'm camping, i feel i couldn't be closer to God than when we're in the mountains and in the pines!

one week without Jesus, makes one weak!

dolfan06
03-10-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by dolfan06
i don't go to church as often as some, but when i'm camping, i feel i couldn't be closer to God than when we're in the mountains and in the pines!

one week without Jesus, makes one weak! can't get back to sleep. got a leak fixed in our trailer and i come home to find another in the water supply in the bathroom.

I HATE PLUMBING! now i know why they charge so much!:rolleyes:

Scrap
03-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Dajesus
Oh man did you open a can of worms! There is nothing i hate more in any society than organized religion/ more so churches. I won't go off on why becuase I realize some people need them, and I don't want to insult anyone's beleafs. To answer your question I have been inside of a church 3 times. First time to get babtized(didn't have controll over that.) 2nd time for my grandmother's funeral. 3rd time sisters wedding. I hope to never see anohter one again.

Out of curiousity, how did you come up with your screen name.It seems a bit ironic to this post.

Scrap
03-10-2003, 10:21 AM
I am a baptist, but I don't attend church very often.

i go about twice a month on the average. i don't go when we're camping, but i work that around the second sunday of the month when i walk security in the church parking lot! things are getting pretty bad, when you have to have security at a church. haven't caught anybody yet, but i hate a theif about as much as anybody! i carry a big manzanita walking stick, and if i catch somebody breaking into a car, he better hope the police get there in a hurry!;) :rolleyes:

I can see the headlines now:"Church Staff Beats Troubled Teen"

Dajesus
03-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by va dolfan
Out of curiousity, how did you come up with your screen name.It seems a bit ironic to this post.

Dajesus is from the movie "The Big Lebowski", and ironicly enought I take my spititual beleafs from that movie as well. "I am nialist, I beleave in nothhing."

Scrap
03-10-2003, 04:01 PM
I've seen that movie, but it's been a while, so I don't remember much about it.

Kamikaze
03-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Dajesus is from the movie "The Big Lebowski", and ironicly enought I take my spititual beleafs from that movie as well. "I am nialist, I beleave in nothhing."

That's nihilist. :D Nihilists believe in nihilism. :D

WharfRat
03-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by chicagodolphan
That's nihilist. :D Nihilists believe in nihilism. :D

:lol: good point Chi...

if you choose nothing at all, you still have made a choice....

Kamikaze
03-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by WharfRat

Which is why nihilists should kill themselves, otherwise they're not nihilists. :lol:

Dajesus
03-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by chicagodolphan
Which is why nihilists should kill themselves, otherwise they're not nihilists. :lol:

Congrats you get the ironic humor. There was a bit of sarcasim in my post. I actully don't really have set of spirtiual beleafs. I figure no one has any idea what will happen when the fat lady sings, so to devote your self to beleaving or non beleaving is kind of a waste of time. I am leaving it kind of open. I think as humans the only way to live is to try to get as much happiness out of your life with out sacrifricsing anyone else's happiness. To steal a phrase from the late Jim Morrison "I am going to get my kicks before the whole $hit house goes up in flames."

Chauncey
03-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Yule go blind...

dolfan06
03-10-2003, 11:15 PM
Dajesus is from the movie "The Big Lebowski", and ironicly enought I take my spititual beleafs from that movie as well. "I am nialist, I beleave in nothhing." if you have holidays from work, you must believe in something!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Chauncey
03-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Yup, I'm a Northern Baptist Hacedic Hare Hindu Muslim Shinto Branch Davidian Witness.

With all of the holidays associated with the above, I believe the next time I have to go to work is 2008 ;)

Barbarian
03-11-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Chauncey
Yup, I'm a Northern Baptist Hacedic Hare Hindu Muslim Shinto Branch Davidian Witness.

With all of the holidays associated with the above, I believe the next time I have to go to work is 2008 ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dolfan06
03-11-2003, 09:39 AM

With all of the holidays associated with the above, I believe the next time I have to go to work is 2008 ;) ya know how to pick up a branch davidian chick?

with a dust pan!:D

Scrap
03-11-2003, 10:08 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

inFINSible
03-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by WharfRat

Does that mean Rush are nihilists?

inFINSible
03-11-2003, 12:07 PM
if you have holidays from work, you must believe in something!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

yeah....I believe in taking advantage of any paid holidays I can get......:lol:

Peebs
03-11-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Barbarian

I'm a Celtic Pagan.

I don't go to church, but I do have an alter at my house that I pray at on occasion and during the Sabbats.

Are you really neo-pagan? Wicca? :up: I have a good friends that's a High Priestess.

I was born jewish, never practiced unless invited to a relatives house during holy days, never take a Jewish Holiday off. I'm not fond of certain aspects of the religion.

Soooo I'm more of a Unitarian. I'm thinking of joining a Universal Unitarian church here. They accept ANYBODY (Jews, Catholics, Christians, Muslim, Hindu's, those with alternative lifestyles....) they judge no one.

Anyhoo there is a cool site that asks questions about your beliefs and spirituality and runs your answers to 37 differnet religions and lists which match your beliefs.
Sometimes we are brought up in one religion but it doesn't actually match our true beliefs.

It's www.beliefnet.com Go to "Belief o' matic" and answer the short but very thought provoking quiz

iceblizzard69
03-11-2003, 05:27 PM
I scored 100% as Unitarian Universalism.

Here are my full results:

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Neo-Pagan (94%)
3. Liberal Quakers (92%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (90%)
5. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (86%)
6. Secular Humanism (83%)
7. New Age (78%)
8. Mahayana Buddhism (77%)
9. Orthodox Quaker (77%)
10. Bahá'í Faith (65%)
11. Jainism (64%)
12. Taoism (61%)
13. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (59%)
14. Reform Judaism (57%)
15. Sikhism (56%)
16. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (55%)
17. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (52%)
18. Nontheist (51%)
19. Hinduism (48%)
20. Jehovah's Witness (47%)
21. Orthodox Judaism (47%)
22. New Thought (46%)
23. Scientology (46%)
24. Islam (44%)
25. Seventh Day Adventist (38%)
26. Eastern Orthodox (30%)
27. Roman Catholic (30%)

Funny how my birth religion (Roman Catholic) is last on the list.

Peebs
03-11-2003, 05:32 PM
Pretty cool test huh?
For some of my friends who are very deep in their faith, their religion came out either #1 or #2.

But for those fence sitters like me it was a real eye opener!

Blizzard! I got the same 1, 2 and 3 except mine was #1 Unitarian #2 Liberal Quaker and #3 Neo-pagan.

iceblizzard69
03-11-2003, 05:40 PM
It wasn't that eye opening to me since I am an atheist, but I didn't expect Catholic to be last. I wasn't surprised to see the Buddhist religions so high, but was surprised to see nontheist so low (18th). I also thought that Islam would be a little higher.

Peebs
03-11-2003, 05:45 PM
But you do understand that having a belief in god and being spiritual can be (for some people) two different things. That's why Buddist, Unitarian, Paganism ranked very high for you.

inFINSible
03-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Mine was Neo pagan .....new age....and Mahayana buddhism. In that order......that was a cool test.....

PhinPhan1227
03-11-2003, 05:50 PM
Also came up as, " 70 - 79 Questioning Believer – You have doubts about the particulars but not the Big Stuff" on the other test.

1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (83%)
3. Reform Judaism (77%)
4. Orthodox Quaker (76%)
5. Unitarian Universalism (75%)
6. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (66%)
7. Bahá'í Faith (65%)
8. Eastern Orthodox (61%)
9. Roman Catholic (61%)
10. Seventh Day Adventist (56%)
11. Orthodox Judaism (54%)
12. Sikhism (53%)
13. Islam (50%)
14. New Age (50%)
15. Neo-Pagan (50%)
16. New Thought (47%)
17. Mahayana Buddhism (41%)
18. Scientology (41%)
19. Theravada Buddhism (40%)
20. Secular Humanism (40%)
21. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (37%)
22. Taoism (34%)
23. Hinduism (34%)
24. Jainism (32%)
25. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (31%)
26. Nontheist (25%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (14%)

iceblizzard69
03-11-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Peebs
But you do understand that having a belief in god and being spiritual can be (for some people) two different things. That's why Buddist, Unitarian, Paganism ranked very high for you.

Thanks, I figured that was the reason. :up:
I have thought for a while that if I was to be associated with any religion, it would be buddhism, so it really didn't surprise me that I got both buddhist religions high on the list. However, Unitarian seems like a cool thing.

Kamikaze
03-11-2003, 07:11 PM
Mine came out pretty much how I thought, but I was surprised how far down nontheist went for me.

1. Unitarian Universalism (100%)
2. Secular Humanism (98%)
3. Liberal Quakers (90%)
4. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (85%)
5. Nontheist (74%)
6. Theravada Buddhism (70%)
7. Neo-Pagan (68%)
8. Taoism (56%)
9. Bahá'í Faith (53%)
10. New Age (49%)
11. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (46%)
12. Mahayana Buddhism (45%)
13. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (43%)
14. Orthodox Quaker (41%)
15. Reform Judaism (41%)
16. Jehovah's Witness (32%)
17. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (32%)
18. New Thought (32%)
19. Sikhism (32%)
20. Jainism (30%)
21. Scientology (26%)
22. Seventh Day Adventist (18%)
23. Hinduism (18%)
24. Eastern Orthodox (11%)
25. Islam (11%)
26. Orthodox Judaism (11%)
27. Roman Catholic (11%)

dolfan06
03-12-2003, 12:55 AM
i think the jewish faith is better, a rabbi has to give up pork where a priest is married to the church. what marriage has to offer is a whole lot better than pork!:up:

Peebs
03-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Don't ever doubt the power of bacon! ;)
But I do believe the Catholic Church needs to make consessions to allow priests to marry. One, you would get more men going into the seminary. Two, you can still serve god and have a family. Same goes for Nuns.

PhinPhan1227
03-12-2003, 10:57 AM
Don't ever doubt the power of bacon! ;)
But I do believe the Catholic Church needs to make consessions to allow priests to marry. One, you would get more men going into the seminary. Two, you can still serve god and have a family. Same goes for Nuns.

Blame St Paul....I'm pretty sure he was gay...;)

dolfan06
03-13-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Blame St Paul....I'm pretty sure he was gay...;) is there some reference to that effect?:rolleyes:

PhinPhan1227
03-13-2003, 11:00 AM
is there some reference to that effect?:rolleyes:

Of course I'm 99% kidding with that comment. The 1% stems from his views on marriage, and the fact that he was basically an evil person before "finding God". Just sounds like repressed homosexual tendencies resulting in anger and self loathing. He then finds God and becomes a nicer person, but still represses ALL sexuality since those repressed tendencies are still present. Basically it's his fault that the Catholic Church requires it's priests/nuns to take vows of celebacy. Of course, ALL of that is my personal interpretation, pure opinion on my part.

inFINSible
03-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Funny thing......I showed my girlfriend this test....she took it and had the exact same top three as I did.....:D

FinFan72
03-15-2003, 12:49 AM

With all of the holidays associated with the above, I believe the next time I have to go to work is 2008 ;) :lol:

Barbarian
03-15-2003, 10:53 AM
Are you really neo-pagan? Wicca? :up: I have a good friends that's a High Priestess.

I was born jewish, never practiced unless invited to a relatives house during holy days, never take a Jewish Holiday off. I'm not fond of certain aspects of the religion.

Soooo I'm more of a Unitarian. I'm thinking of joining a Universal Unitarian church here. They accept ANYBODY (Jews, Catholics, Christians, Muslim, Hindu's, those with alternative lifestyles....) they judge no one.

Anyhoo there is a cool site that asks questions about your beliefs and spirituality and runs your answers to 37 differnet religions and lists which match your beliefs.
Sometimes we are brought up in one religion but it doesn't actually match our true beliefs.

It's www.beliefnet.com Go to "Belief o' matic" and answer the short but very thought provoking quiz

Thanks for the link Peebs. The test had me pretty much nailed dead on. :) I was really inrigued to read about some of the religeons that I knew nothing about that came up so high on my list though, it was really good reading... well, I guess, I'll show my list as well now...

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. New Age (88%)
3. Unitarian Universalism (77%)
4. Mahayana Buddhism (76%)
5. Reform Judaism (74%)
6. Sikhism (72%)
7. Liberal Quakers (69%)
8. Jainism (66%)
9. New Thought (64%)
10. Bahá'í Faith (63%)
11. Hinduism (63%)
12. Scientology (63%)
13. Theravada Buddhism (62%)
14. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (55%)
15. Orthodox Judaism (55%)
16. Islam (46%)
17. Taoism (44%)
18. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (43%)
19. Secular Humanism (42%)
20. Orthodox Quaker (38%)
21. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (27%)
22. Nontheist (27%)
23. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (26%)
24. Eastern Orthodox (20%)
25. Roman Catholic (20%)
26. Seventh Day Adventist (17%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (8%)