PDA

View Full Version : An interesting view of liberals and conservatives

Sniper
03-10-2003, 12:00 AM
http://www.davesloan.com/journalism/liberal_conservative.html

I suppose there could be something to this.

SWS84
03-10-2003, 09:16 AM
Interesting, but I don't agree with much he has said about conservatives. For me and those I know who are conservative giving to those in need is no problem. Not everyone who goes to our church is conservative, but several are. We are very active in Habitat for Humanity, the Crop Walk (which supports world hunger) and we directly support a couple of small churches that feed the poor. One in Brazil and the other in Puerto Rico. From what I have seen, political ideology hasn't stopped anyone from digging deep into their pockets to support these organizations. I would say, and maybe this is what he meant, that I usually don't support additional taxes and tons of government programs to help those in need. I would rather do it through our church locally. I realize we need to have some government programs to help people, but I don't want most of our budget to go to programs like that. I think right now 60% of our budget goes to social security and government assistance programs. I really don't think I would support raising the percentage even more. I believe for those who need a helping hand we should be proactive locally throught our churches and local organizations for those who aren't interested in church.

Steve