PDA

View Full Version : 49ers just traded for the Broncos 22nd pick

PhinsPhan
04-19-2006, 01:05 PM
49ers traded their 2nd and 3rd round draft choices to the Broncos for the 22nd pick in the draft.

Does anyone think this is a manuever to try and move up and grab Reggie Bush? It would make sense, RB is a concern for the 49ers and he is the best player and also from California.

Dolfan11
04-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Could be. But if the you can get a 2nd and a 3rd for the 22nd pick in the first round, there's no doubt in my mind that we can get a 2nd and two 3rd's/2nd, 3rd, and 4th/a late 1st and a 2nd or 3rd. IMO, I think that would be the best situation for us, to trade down and get picks.

Motion
04-19-2006, 01:10 PM
Well thats definitely gonna make things interesting. Wish we could trade down and pick up a 2nd!

MiamiMan147
04-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Why would the 49ers do that trade today? They entire roster is a need and they need all the picks they can get. If they're targeting someone, they should have waited till draft day to make sure that player is still there.

PhinsPhan
04-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Yeah, those 49ers picks were also high in each of their respective rounds.

I am sure we would be better off if Saban had more later picks because he still probably knows alot of the guys through his recruiting process at LSU. Everyone knows the first rounders it is the late rounders that people are not always sure on.

Also with the depth at corner and OLB this year we could still get a very talented player in the 2nd. Finally, if Whitner or Cromartie are likely to be our picks we could trade to the 2nd and still have a shot at them if they slip.

Motion
04-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Why would the 49ers do that trade today? They entire roster is a need and they need all the picks they can get. If they're targeting someone, they should have waited till draft day to make sure that player is still there.

Maybe their stocking ammo to move up to the top 3ish. I agree though they need all the picks they can get.

PhinsPhan
04-19-2006, 01:15 PM

That's why it could make sense for Reggie Bush. He is the one player you know where he is going to be taken.

TXFinFan
04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2413928

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The San Francisco 49ers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=sfo) now have two first-round picks in this month's NFL draft.
The Niners acquired the 22nd overall selection in the draft from the Denver Broncos (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=den) on Wednesday for picks in the second round and third round.

The Broncos will receive the 37th and 68th overall picks in the deal.

The Niners own the sixth overall pick in the draft as well as No. 22 in the first round.

The New York Jets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyj) are the only other team with two first-round picks in the April 29 draft.
The Broncos now own seven picks in the first four rounds. They have the 15th overall selection after moving up from 29th in a deal with Atlanta.

Denver had acquired the 22nd overall pick from Washington in a trade last April.

TXFinFan
04-19-2006, 01:17 PM
That's why it could make sense for Reggie Bush. He is the one player you know where he is going to be taken.

They don't have enough ammo to get the #1 spot.

PhinsPhan
04-19-2006, 01:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2413928

Thanks for the link I just saw it on NFL Network.

Also:

I don't think the 49ers are that bad. Their defense played quite well last year and I am sure they can do it again. They also have a decent core of olinemen and their supposed QB of the future. What they are in real need of is a game changer and playmaker on offense. Antonio Bryant is a nice receiver but he is not a game changer. Kevan Barlow is a nice running back but not a game changer. Eric Johnson is a nice TE but not a game changer. That is why they might need someone like Reggie Bush. The other option is they could position themselves for Mario Williams, but that doesnt seem to address their needs and he could go anywhere in the top 5 making it risky to trade up now.

PhinsPhan
04-19-2006, 01:22 PM
They don't have enough ammo to get the #1 spot.

I don't have a chart out but I would think the 6th, 22nd and a 4th or 5th round draft pick or maybe a 3rd rounder next year would be enough ammo.

The Texans are known to want to trade down, they don't have a need for RB and yet it seems they are going to be practically forced to take Reggie Bush. They would be better off trading down to the 6th and picking up additional picks. Although if the Texans trade down I still think the best pick for them would be D'Brickshaw, who I don't see being there at 6.

MiamiMan147
04-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Making a trade for equal value doesn't give you any more ammunition for trading up. Then again, maybe its Houston's preference to pick up an extra 1st in any trade and they've already told SF this.

The #6 and #22 wont be enough to trade up to #1. They'd have to throw in next year's 2nd and 3rd, or even next years 1st for the value to be there. The gap in value between 1 and 6 is huge.

Values from NFLDraftCountdown.com
1 = 3000
6 + 22 = 1600 + 780 = 2380

Even if these arent the exact values that Houston and SF use, that's still a huge gap.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-19-2006, 01:47 PM
this is NOT a deal for san francisco to trade up, it's for DENVER. mario williams and vernon davis...they'll try to get one , watch!

Nappy Roots
04-19-2006, 01:54 PM
this is NOT a deal for san francisco to trade up, it's for DENVER. mario williams and vernon davis...they'll try to get one , watch!

it doesnt make sense to give up a first for a 2nd and 3rd then. two 1sts' would be more enticing(cant spell) i would think.

Either 49ers want to move up for DBrickashaw, or they are going to stay put IMO. They have alot of holes, 2 first round guys who could start right away for them would be a nice addition.

TXFinFan
04-19-2006, 01:55 PM
I think the 49ers want Vernon Davis and then a Corner with their other 1st rounder. 2 HUGE needs for them.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-19-2006, 01:59 PM
it doesnt make sense to give up a first for a 2nd and 3rd then. two 1sts' would be more enticing(cant spell) i would think.
the broncos now have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. 2 in each of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. with the 15th pick, they could easily make a deal to move up 7 and make a deal with oakland to get davis. i bet denver initiated this deal so they could get san fran's 6th, so they settled for this. i can totally see them doign this. denver really doesn't need 7 picks that high.

Nappy Roots
04-19-2006, 02:02 PM
I think the 49ers want Vernon Davis and then a Corner with their other 1st rounder. 2 HUGE needs for them.

yea. Now that they have another pick, they dont HAVE to go defense with their first. so getting Vernon Davis or possibly Winston Justice would be good to go along with a CB like Tye Hill at 22.

they have alot of options. i like the trade for the 9ers, not the broncos though.

Nappy Roots
04-19-2006, 02:04 PM
the broncos now have 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. 2 in each of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. with the 15th pick, they could easily make a deal to move up 7 and make a deal with oakland to get davis. i bet denver initiated this deal so they could get san fran's 6th, so they settled for this. i can totally see them doign this. denver really doesn't need 7 picks that high.

i guess your right. after lookin at the value chart the 15th pick, and 22nd pick would of been to much for the 7th pick. still think its a good trade for the 9ers

Jaj
04-19-2006, 02:05 PM
For the Broncos it was somewhat stupid in the fact that they won't get a WR/RB combo from the 1st round. I'm not sure if the RB they want will be available at their 2nd round pick but it's always possible(Lendale or Addai). Now with the Lelie situation and Javon Walker situation a swap is possible.

Motion
04-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Another factor could be that Denver wanted an extra 2nd or 3rd to trade for Javon Walker. They are very interested in him. I haven't heard GB's asking price though.

Nappy Roots
04-19-2006, 02:07 PM
For the Broncos it was somewhat stupid in the fact that they won't get a WR/RB combo from the 1st round. I'm not sure if the RB they want will be available at their 2nd round pick but it's always possible(Lendale or Addai). Now with the Lelie situation and Javon Walker situation a swap is possible.

whats going on with Lelie, i havent heard bout that?

PhinsPhan
04-19-2006, 02:42 PM

Denver can find a running back anywhere. I think they are better off taking one a bit later.

Motion
04-19-2006, 02:43 PM
whats going on with Lelie, i havent heard bout that?

He wants to be a #1 WR somewhere and is holding out of offseason condtioning programs in hopes of being traded.

Jaj
04-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Denver can find a running back anywhere. I think they are better off taking one a bit later.

Again with this theory... Well tell me this if Denver can get a decent RB and make him good what's to say they can't make a good RB GREAT. Besides the value at RB is not in the 2nd round it's in the late 1st.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-19-2006, 02:52 PM
denver's biggest needs are DE and TE. RB and WR can wait...

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-19-2006, 03:14 PM
i guess your right.
:yes:

after lookin at the value chart the 15th pick, and 22nd pick would of been to much for the 7th pick. still think its a good trade for the 9ers
:yes:

this is a good deal for both teams. san francisco won't give up their top 10 pick and denver can move up and grab a playre they're targeting, which COULD make another player drop to us.

Roman529
04-19-2006, 03:40 PM
I also think this was a good deal for both teams. San Fran probably has more needs than anyone in the NFL and it is going to be another tough year for the 49ers. Shanny always seems to make a lot of shrewd moves for the Broncos but they have had a lot of guys that have been total busts for them over the years.