PDA

View Full Version : With the Denver/SF trade I see the following...

Lee2000
04-19-2006, 03:34 PM
There had been speculation that Denver would use both 1s to move up and get Vernon Davis. That is out the window. I have no doubt now that a wr will be the pick at 15.
Going on what I have heard and what Jason Cole has reported via the Herald I am not so sure a defensive back will be picked. Yahoo sports also reinforces this with what I thought was a very good analysis of who Miami might pick. Their focus was on a defensive tackle or linebacker, and maybe a wr.
I am "guessing" the following guys will be the short list (not necessarily at 16):

Gabe Watson NT Michigan
S. Holmes WR Ohio State
Ernie Sims LB FSU
Chad Greenway LB Iowa
Demarco Ryans LB Alabama

There are others that could easily be placed there, but I think these 4 guys could be the hot 4. I would if pressured drop Sims because I think he may be picked earlier anyway. Jackson could be on the list, but I have a feeling Denver will pick him at 15. I believe it will come down to Holmes, Greenway, Ryans or Watson. And I am inclined to eliminate Watson and Ryans. Final guess? Greenway.

Lee2000

Mike13
04-19-2006, 03:41 PM
I think the Broncos will look for a RB with the 15th pick, and I doubt Greenway will slide to us at 16, but I would be happy as hell to have him here. I am starting to believe that Saban will take Holmes if he is avalible.

Ghetti13
04-19-2006, 03:42 PM
I don't think Saban would rate Gabe Watson that high. Too many issues, regardless of the upside. Watson is a great player, when he wants to be. I don't think Saban is a big fan of those types of guys in round one.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-19-2006, 03:50 PM
the reason this trade went down was so denver could move up and get davis.

Lee2000
04-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't think Saban would rate Gabe Watson that high. Too many issues, regardless of the upside. Watson is a great player, when he wants to be. I don't think Saban is a big fan of those types of guys in round one.

Not necessarily be picked at 16. I believe Watson could be picked lower in the rd.

Lee2000

Lee2000
04-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Denver had better ammo before the trade. I believe they would have had to trade both 1s to get up to get him. I do not see that now. They might be able to use 2s and 3s plus their one to get him, but I don't think more will be required for top 10 picks.

Lee2000

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-19-2006, 04:00 PM
according to the draft value chart, the 15th and 37th picks add up to 1580, while the 7th pick is worth 1500. fair trade. it would've been unfair actually for to go from 15+22 (1050 + 780 = 1830) to get to #6 (1600). they can throw in another 2nd rounder and trade up with green bay and be just fine.

Lee2000
04-19-2006, 04:02 PM
according to the draft value chart, the 15th and 37th picks add up to 1580, while the 7th pick is worth 1500. fair trade. it would've been unfair actually for to go from 15+22 (1050 + 780 = 1830) to get to #6 (1600). they can throw in another 2nd rounder and trade up with green bay and be just fine.

I don't argue with the chart logic, but I just think the trade was to get more picks versus trading up.

Lee2000

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-19-2006, 04:41 PM
of course i'm just speculating. i'd like to hear boomer or CK's take.

ChambersWI
04-19-2006, 08:15 PM

It's possible that they're positioning themselves to make a run at Davis, Williams, or even Bush (unlikely) or Leinart (Jake is getting up there in age).

More than likely, it means they want DeAngelo Williams, and if they can't get him are looking to trade back.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-19-2006, 09:41 PM
they could've had williams at 15 AND 22, so i doubt that's what this deal was.

Jaj
04-19-2006, 09:47 PM
The deal is to get the Vikings to trade up for Vince Young if he's there at 15 or take him outright. Javon Walker will be traded to Denver soon.

jlfin
04-19-2006, 10:14 PM
There had been speculation that Denver would use both 1s to move up and get Vernon Davis. That is out the window. I have no doubt now that a wr will be the pick at 15.
Going on what I have heard and what Jason Cole has reported via the Herald I am not so sure a defensive back will be picked. Yahoo sports also reinforces this with what I thought was a very good analysis of who Miami might pick. Their focus was on a defensive tackle or linebacker, and maybe a wr.
I am "guessing" the following guys will be the short list (not necessarily at 16):

Gabe Watson NT Michigan
S. Holmes WR Ohio State
Ernie Sims LB FSU
Chad Greenway LB Iowa
Demarco Ryans LB Alabama

There are others that could easily be placed there, but I think these 4 guys could be the hot 4. I would if pressured drop Sims because I think he may be picked earlier anyway. Jackson could be on the list, but I have a feeling Denver will pick him at 15. I believe it will come down to Holmes, Greenway, Ryans or Watson. And I am inclined to eliminate Watson and Ryans. Final guess? Greenway.

Lee2000

I would place Lawson or Carpenter ahead of Ryans

zodiak
04-19-2006, 10:47 PM
If denver wants Davis how high do you think they need to go?

Why would Denver care if Minny picks Young?

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-19-2006, 11:24 PM
if you go by the value chart, denver can trade their 1st, and the 2nd and 3rd acquired from SF to move up as high as 5, where green bay stands.

PSU Cane
04-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Gabe Watson is fat and overrated. The guy gets lazy and disappears in games. I would not take him anywhere in the first round. Too many questions with him.

You want a good Watson comparison? Jimmy Kennedy. Always overweight but dominated in college . . . when he wanted to. Only problem was, he disappeared the rest of the time. The only difference between the 2 is Kennedy was a nice guy with no off the field issues. Watson even has that to worry about.

Gbt31
04-20-2006, 12:06 PM
If the Broncos trade up to Green Bay that would be the worst move I have ever seen, plus I think we want to keep our team from last year mostly intact and get some depth, Particulary at S, WR, Dline, and TE, I think only one person that we draft will actually start next year. Most likely S if we get Jimmy Williams in first round, or Daniel Bullocks or Ko Simpson in second..San Frans second that is for Ko Simpson.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-21-2006, 11:32 AM
guess what GBT, they may have to try to trade up with green bay...

Titans | Team says no to NFL Draft trade
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:35:43 -0700

Lee Rasizer, of the Rocky Mountain News, reports the Tennessee Titans turned down the Denver Broncos' offer of two first-round draft picks for the Titans' selection at No. 3 in the NFL Draft.

Jimmy James
04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Where's Bobby Carpenter? He's the man for the job Miami has open at LB right now.

Gbt31
04-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah that was before we we made the trade with san fran, I'm thinking we were targeting Mario Williams, but enough of this talk of us trading down in order to trade up.......just stupid. The only thing I'm worried about is if we get Sanantonio Holmes instead of Chad Jackson....especially since Lelie is leaving. The only reason we should target Holmes over Jackson is if we do somehow pull off Javon Walker in the draft.