PDA

View Full Version : Peebs...question concerning malpractice limits...

PhinPhan1227
03-11-2003, 01:27 PM
As someone who works in benefits admin, I'd like to hear your opinion on malpractice limits, and their impact on insurance/doctors costs.

Peebs
03-11-2003, 04:35 PM
I do believe that states should pass laws on the amount a jury can award in a malpractice suit. There needs to be a cap. Insurance for a OB/GYN in NY is in the six figure range. Many can no longer afford it.

But then again I believe that the court system is FLOODED in "personal injury" cases. Everytime I'm called for jury duty I am always picked for a personal injury case :rolleyes: YES people are injured in situations that could have been avoided BUT it seems EVERYONE and their uncle is suing someone.

PhinPhan1227
03-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Are you ok with the Federal Govt passing limits?

Peebs
03-11-2003, 04:44 PM
It would be a State by State legislation not a federal....

PhinPhan1227
03-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Wouldn't you be concerned about some states suffering because they may have a stronger trial lawyer lobby? As it is now, you've got doctors closing up shop and moving to states with stricter limits to find relief from their insurance premiums. Why would you be opposed to a Federal limit?

Peebs
03-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Why are you asking me? Do I look like a State Assembly person or State Senator?
I won't even make Capitol hill. Doctor's have enough lobbyests and physician orgs to handle lobbying duties on the State Level. They have already organized.

PhinPhan1227
03-11-2003, 05:17 PM
I'm asking you because you're involved in the field, and I believe your experience there would be greater than mine. I also wanted to see wether you supported the DNC or the Preisdent on this issue.