PDA

View Full Version : AFC East or Miami Dolphins forum

dolphan39
03-11-2003, 02:10 PM
What is the consensus amongst Dolphans on whether this forum should be dedicated to discussing issues only about the Miami Dolphins or we should can also discuss things about other AFC East teams ?

Vote your opinion

Cranx
03-11-2003, 02:19 PM
As long as it's 'Fins related I don't mind seeing on the boards. Also, I really don't mind seeing a couple of things from other teams on here if it's something that most of us around here would have serious interest in- especially because this is the offseason and things are slow.

IMHO, I'd say that leaving things a little bit more leniant during the offseason would work, but once the season rolls around, there really isn't any room for fans of other teams to post stuff about their teams issues, signings, etc.

dolphan39
03-11-2003, 02:22 PM
I somewhat agree, but I just do not want the Phins forum to turn into a copy of the Yahoo! news page - http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/morenews - i.e. we should only have signings/cuts/rumors hear (as opposed to General NFL) if it is somehow related to the Phins. I guess I am asking do people think that anything on the AFC East is "somehow related to the Phins" ?

Thanks,

Cranx
03-11-2003, 02:28 PM
I like the activity level that having a couple of fans from other teams brings to the boards in what would otherwise be a somewhat boring offseason. I think the only problem that you mods might encounter is if the fans of other teams don't get the message that this is strictly an offseason allowance, and it will be revoked onece the preseason begins.

Perhaps is you post a sticky warning people of this it might work, otherwise, I say do what you have to do.

BTW, did you happen to notice that Dan Snyder looks a lot like a younger version of Trent Lott? Hmmmmmm....:lol:

mikefan22
03-11-2003, 02:32 PM
I love talking fins! But finding out about THE 1 DIVISON IN FOOTBALL(AFC EAST) would also be good!!

dolphan39
03-11-2003, 02:32 PM
notice that anything outside the AFC East is not an option (on the poll) - that is what General NFL is for.

Snyder looks exactly like this guy Clark I used to work with :D

Penthos
03-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Yes 39....

Since the dolphins are in the AFC east, anything that happens in the AFC east relates to the Dolphins. For example Coles being signed to the Skins is Dolphins news because he is leaving a team in our division... Spikes signing with the Bills is another example of indirect Dolphins news... On the other hand, Jake Plummer going to Denver is not Dolphins news because neither team is in our division..

Thats my opion, thanks for listening.

dolphan39
03-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 13isgr81
Yes 39....

Since the dolphins are in the AFC east, anything that happens in the AFC east relates to the Dolphins. what about a discussion on whether Travis Henry is better than Thurman Thomas hypothetically - that s/b in this forum or Gen. NFL or on the Bills insider ;) ?

Just playing devil's advocate so we can know where to draw the lines w/o confusing or pissing anybody off.

thanks

minus
03-11-2003, 03:23 PM
I think during the offseason the forum should be open to any discussion NFL related but during the season back to Dolphins related topics...

dolphan39
03-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by minus
I think during the offseason the forum should be open to any discussion NFL related but during the season back to Dolphins related topics... what offseason ? :jk:

Cranx
03-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by dolphan39
what about a discussion on whether Travis Henry is better than Thurman Thomas hypothetically - that s/b in this forum or Gen. NFL or on the Bills insider ;) ?

Just playing devil's advocate so we can know where to draw the lines w/o confusing or pissing anybody off.

thanks

I'd have to say that's over the line as there really isn't any direct correlation between that and the 'Fins. Discussing the signings, cuts, injuries, etc. of other AFC East teams does affect- if only indirectly- the 'Fins. Something that has absolutely no bearing on the 'Fins whatsoever should be kicked over to the general NFL forum which is where you come in.

Since AJ's paying you the big bucks ;) to be a moderator, I guess you- and the other mods- will have to make a few judement calls on these threads. :D

gottahavefootba
03-11-2003, 03:33 PM
I think during the offseason there should be more allowed. But to draw the line.. the bills signing Spikes is big, that should be allowed, but the bills signing joe schmo from someone's waviers is not. also on the Plummer thing to Denver, in a way that should be allowed, I mean some of us had hopes of him signing here. Just like if Griese signs with Chicago.. that would have some interest in Dolphins news and discussions.
Personaly I like having most of it here so I don't have to look around to find everything out. Guess I am just lazy..
Of course when the season starts, it's all FINS.

dolphan39
03-11-2003, 03:59 PM
here's a better example: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-billsdysonandshawmak&prov=fanball&type=lgns

should hypothetical discussions of Price's replacement be something on this board now ?

iceblizzard69
03-11-2003, 05:33 PM
As long as this board keeps its name I am fine with it. However, we should be able to include AFC East issues relating to the Fins.

ohall
03-11-2003, 06:05 PM
What is the consensus amongst Dolphans on whether this forum should be dedicated to discussing issues only about the Miami Dolphins or we should can also discuss things about other AFC East teams ?

Vote your opinion

I guess I think if you are talking about the Dolphins logically the AFC East will come up every so often.

Oliver...

IceStorm
03-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Well, I look at it like this. Why open this ONE forum up? Keep this one Dolphins only, then create another for AFC East. I'm still confused as to why people would come to a Miami Dolphins forum to talk about different teams.

If people want to talk about the Jets or the Bills, etc. then they can go to one of the many other message boards out there. Its not that difficult to comprehend.

I'm not trying to be an ass, but its just that I come here for discussion about the Miami Dolphins. Not any other team. I do not visit any other forums because of this.

So if AJ decides to open this up outside of the Miami Dolphins then I will most likely go to another Miami Dolphins board. I dont want to, not at all. I enjoy this site and board. But I don't go to an Italian restaurant if I want Chinese takeout.

Ok, thats my peace.

T-ROCK
03-11-2003, 09:03 PM
My feeling is that so long as people remain respectful it doesn't matter what team they root for... I enjoy talking football with fans of the Bills, Pats, and Jets... I mean, we have so much history...

And it's kind of like doing community service at a home for the mentally retarded... Except at the home it's easier explaining the obvious...

:lol: :lol:

dolfan87
03-11-2003, 11:10 PM
I don't mind leaving a thread about the Bills for a while, then moving it...but I don't want these forums to be a discussion board for other teams fans. They have their own place to discuss that stuff, and it doesn't need to be here.

Obviously keeping everyone informed on the happenings in the East is cool, I am just not going to leave it in the main forums for a legnthy discussion.

That's how I feel...but you guys have a big voice in what we do around here. ;)

minus
03-12-2003, 02:04 AM
Well its the offseason and is kinda hard not to find 5 topics on the same subject.Allowing post about NFL related news keep the forum going through out the offseason..Just my opinion..

dolphan39
03-12-2003, 10:05 AM
[i]That's how I feel...but you guys have a big voice in what we do around here. ;)

87 [/B] exactly, the point of this thread/poll was to determine what the majority of you would like to talk about in this forum. From the poll most of you would like to talk AFC East, it is just a question of whether that thread is about issues on an AFC East rival that only tangentially related to the Dolphins or if you are discussing how the Phins will deal w/a rival.

I like 87's idea of leaving AFC East stuff around for a while and then moving it if it is not talking Phins (not just using the word Dolphins) at all.

Also, forget about talking about other divisions, that is what General NFL is for, i.e. if you want to say Man the Phins should have signed xyx, that is :cool: , but it you are saying the Lions just signed xyz, it belongs in general NFL.

dolfan87
03-12-2003, 10:39 AM
Well, my main thing is I don't want a thread to get started by a Buffalo fan, and then all it winds up being is a discussion amoungst them.

I like reading news from the East, and discussing it...so let's just see how it goes.

RHoffman
03-12-2003, 12:42 PM
that are just Buffalo, New York or New England specific don't belong here. IF they relate to Miami fine!

I have the perfect example for the distinction.

The news of a signing is fine.

The recent thread by justafan...of how Bill's fans brought Spikes to Buffalo...has absolutely no value to a Dolphin's fan.

and should be moved...

or just deleted...just kidding...moved.

LeftCoastPhin
03-12-2003, 01:07 PM
There is to much gray area here for everyone to agree on what is Fins and what isn't or is AFC East therefore there should be a separate forum for AFC East. In the Dolphin Forum you should be able to talk about the AFC East WITHIN your post, as long as the general theme is Dolphins or how it pertains to the Phins. Anything else should be in the East forum.

dolphan39
03-12-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
There is to much gray area here for everyone to agree on what is Fins and what isn't or is AFC East therefore there should be a separate forum for AFC East. In the Dolphin Forum you should be able to talk about the AFC East WITHIN your post, as long as the general theme is Dolphins or how it pertains to the Phins. Anything else should be in the East forum. it could just go in Gen NFL - there is no need for a new forum IMNSHO

LeftCoastPhin
03-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Fine with me.

XNOUGHT
03-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Damn. This would ruin the thread. It is fun to hear about your rivals and thier demented fans.

The Forums right now are fine and having a little tension keeps people coming back to see what happens next on the soap opera.

t2thejz
03-12-2003, 10:33 PM
well it looks like we will be talkin about cheerleaders for a while:lol:

Barkman
03-13-2003, 03:58 AM
Well, I am not a Dolphan but if it were my board I would want most if not all posts to be related to the Dolphins or the AFCE and how it affects them. For example, there shouldn't be Pats or Bills fans coming on creating posts about how great they will be and how much the Phins will suck. Thats just stupid.

Surferosa
03-13-2003, 07:29 AM
Personally, I love AFC East discussions and welcome our rivals to come join the fray. The board is more active and the conversation is more diverse as a result. I would just ask fans of oppoing teams to be considerate when posting - no blatant trash talk, no shameless gloating about your team etc. You are a visitor on another teams site - act the same way youd expect us to act in one of your forums. Dont hang around just to be a nuisance.

Otherwise, anything having to do with the AFC East is relevant to the Dolphins. As such, I think we should be as open minded as possible when moderating the Main board. It creates more traffic and means that we dont have to jump from board to board in order to find a good discussion. I like conversations about Peerless Price and Takeo Spikes. I even like conversations about Jake Plummer going to Denver as its connected to the Phins pursuit of Brian Greise.

If this site had 50,000 members, I would definitely understand the need to be more hawkish when moderating the site, as Dolphins news would easilly be pushed to the second and third pages. However, since we havent reached that kind of user activity yet (though one day we will :) ), i just dont see any need for moderators to go beserk when overseeing the site.

Just my 2 cents. :cool:

FinHeavenAJ
03-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Surferosa
If this site had 50,000 members, I would definitely understand the need to be more hawkish when moderating the site, as Dolphins news would easilly be pushed to the second and third pages. However, since we havent reached that kind of user activity yet (though one day we will :) ), i just dont see any need for moderators to go beserk when overseeing the site.

Well, that is a good point. Except for one thing. If you have a few thousand members, it is much easier to put new guidelines in. However, if you have 50,000 members, the task becomes much more difficult. Basically, what I am saying is this, a good way to do things is to plan for the future. If the admins, mods, and the majority of the members feel as though there should be a seperate AFC East forum, then it may be a good idea to do it now.

One of my job tasks is to make sure the majority of the members on this board are happy.

Anyways, I'm down at my dad's house for this week... and I really don't want to spend a whole lotta time on the computer... because I really need a break from the normal every day routine. So, when I get back home, I'll think the idea over again... and go from there.

Thanks to everyone for their response, it's very appreciated.

Sincerely,
Andrew Tatum

SWS84
03-13-2003, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't mind if we were to try having this forum the AFC East and the Miami Dolphins. If for nothing else a brief trial period. This could prove benificial for a couple of reasons: 1. Some of our regular posters here from the Bills are very knowledgable and respectful and I would like to hear what they say about their own teams. 2. This may help us understand our opponents better and add a little more excitement when we play. Please Note: I am not in favor of this turning into a spam forum though. We have one of those, I believe. Not sure though as I never have been interested in talking trash.

Steve

DeDolfan
03-13-2003, 04:52 PM

Vote your opinion

Pretty much a no brainer, IMO. Should be predominately a Fins board but alot of NFL related topics particularly about the Fins is OK.

DD...................................

shasta
03-13-2003, 05:12 PM
damn.... nice picture Dedolfan!

I say AFC east, it is good to talk within your division. Makes buildup for games against one another even better.

sign Griese boys, we know Ray cannot get it done and well TKO is coming for Fiedler!!!

Bumrush
03-13-2003, 07:50 PM
I love this site. I think you guys have done an excellent job. I used to surf newsgroups and I love the fact everyone is focused on the phins with minimal trolling done by other teams.

PLEASE LEAVE THIS MESSAGE BOARD ALONE.
THE INVASION OF TROLLS WILL DESTROY FINHEAVEN!!

Barbarian
03-13-2003, 08:32 PM
I think the Mods are doing a fine job, and the way that it's currently beeing run is working fine, I voted for Mod discretion because i think that they will do whatever is in the best interest of the board.

VanDolPhan
03-13-2003, 11:01 PM
If it's a serious question you shouldn't have put jokes into the poll.

dolphan39
03-14-2003, 05:29 PM
iceblizzard69 andMigs182005 seems to me that the people have spoken and 70% want to allow AFC East talk to happen here :cool:

I would agree w/'87 that any AFC East threads completely discussed without a direct reference to the Phins s/b moved out to the Gen NFL forum after a short while...

that will be my mandate - you guys in ?

DeDolfan
03-15-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by shasta
damn.... nice picture Dedolfan!

I say AFC east, it is good to talk within your division. Makes buildup for games against one another even better.

sign Griese boys, we know Ray cannot get it done and well TKO is coming for Fiedler!!!

Why thank you ! Guess there is "hope" for you guys !! :evil: :evil: :D

DD......................................

miadphan13
03-18-2003, 01:00 AM
Miami Dolphins only because I like how the site was the first season I joined. I come here to talk about the Dolphins and discuss upcoming games with rivals.

Jaydog57
03-18-2003, 09:53 PM
I thought this was a Miami Dolphins board primarily. There's already an NFL section, so make an AFC East section. You can post all the AFC East stuff you want in there. But this is still a DOLPHINS board. What are you gonna do, put Jets, Bills, and Pats logo's and colors on here too and change the name to AFC East Heaven?:rolleyes:

Clumpy
03-19-2003, 02:50 AM
:cry: