PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Giants, Arrington reach agreement in principle!

TXFinFan
04-22-2006, 11:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2417903

The Giants and former Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5031) have reached agreement in principle. The deal is for seven years, $49 million.

ncdolfan
04-22-2006, 11:28 AM
Just heard on ESPN Radio - Giants and Arrington agree to contract terms this morning. He thinks the deal is for 7 years, $49 million.

Firemedic18
04-22-2006, 11:31 AM
It's about time.

TXFinFan
04-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Oh well, enjoy being 10 minutes early for every meeting Lavar!

EBMisfit
04-22-2006, 11:32 AM
The 'Phins will survive.

EightyTwenty
04-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Good. The guy never really played up to his "potential" anyway...not sure why everyone was all hot to get him over here...

iixivmmiii
04-22-2006, 11:47 AM
i love how all of you talk about how amazing lavar would be with the dolphins if we signed him, and as soon as he doesn't/goes to the giants, everyone talks about how he wasn't really that good.... i just want you all to know, that you make laugh, a lot.... hahaha

phinMikeDC
04-22-2006, 11:48 AM
yes, no more Lavar talk. I always thought it would be nice if we could get him for a reasonable deal, but that wasn't the case. The Giants overpaid and they'll get the same weak *** production out of him that the Redskins did.

Dolfan1000
04-22-2006, 11:53 AM
Thats a lot of money. Wow.

The Postons are good.

cnc66
04-22-2006, 11:54 AM
i love how all of you talk about how amazing lavar would be with the dolphins if we signed him, and as soon as he doesn't/goes to the giants, everyone talks about how he wasn't really that good.... i just want you all to know, that you make laugh, a lot.... hahaha

no, you are hearing from the guys who really never did want him...the "other" guys will lay low until they are sure no-one remembers and then they will be amongst the "don't want him crowd." Think about it...way to soon to hear from them. I didn't want him at the asking price, and I am fine with him elsewhere....specially killing Deadslow thus fanning the t.o./deadslo saga that will surely happen.

oldfinfan
04-22-2006, 11:55 AM

The Giants and former Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=5031) have reached agreement in principle. The deal is for seven years, $49 million.

good...one less thread to clutter the forum !!

iixivmmiii
04-22-2006, 11:56 AM
no, you are hearing from the guys who really never did want him...the "other" guys will lay low until they are sure no-one remembers and then they will be amongst the "don't want him crowd." Think about it...way to soon to hear from them. I didn't want him at the asking price, and I am fine with him elsewhere....specially killing Deadslow thus fanning the t.o./deadslo saga that will surely happen.

ok

Miamifin23
04-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Oh well, woulda loved to have him here but we'll be alright w/o him, I think this might change our draft perspective. I think OLB and S are our 2 biggest needs, and I would select the best player available at those 2 positions.

MonkeyDog
04-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Never needed or wanted the head case. He's the typical high priced baby that we didn't need crying and making excuses why he can't live up to his over-inflated contract. Nice investmen G-men.....suckas

phinatic8818

its tru man god knows wat kind of smack ppl would have been talking if we landed drew instead of daute i wanted lavar and its a dissapointment to see him go but im not gonna talk smack nick knows what hes doing

JJW1339
I really don't believe he was ever going to come to Miami. Every interview I heard he would say how he would like to play against the Redskins. In order to do that he would need to stay in the NFC. He is a very good player but for $7-$8 mill a year, I really don't think he is worth that kind of money.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
if i knew he'd get a deal like that i would never have wanted him.

Pepper2Chambers
04-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Whoever claims that they aren't pissed needs to shut up. The guys 27 big and fast. I understand that the contract is high but everyone on the board would still be talking **** and I doubt he will get all of that money. If Saban wanted him he must pretty good.

iixivmmiii
04-22-2006, 12:00 PM
its tru man god knows wat kind of smack ppl would have been talking if we landed drew instead of daute i wanted lavar and its a dissapointment to see him go but im not gonna talk smack nick knows what hes doing

agreed

Phins28
04-22-2006, 12:01 PM
I wanted Arrington with the Dolphins, man this sucks. Lets hope Hodge and Spragan step up.

POTHEAD
04-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Wow !
Sounds like the Giant's got desperate. And over paid.
Saban a very smart move.

Dolfan1000
04-22-2006, 12:02 PM
I wouldnt be surprised to see us visit with Tommy Polley or Nick Griesen this week.

Mike13
04-22-2006, 12:03 PM
This sucks we could have used a LB like him. Well life goes on we can always get a LB in the draft. I really wanted him here so we could go BPA in the draft, well that can still happen.

POTHEAD
04-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Ok,
The poker game with Arrington has just ended. But, Saban still playing poker on another table with Matt Millen.
Got to love it !

trate121hb
04-22-2006, 12:06 PM
listen the guy wouldve been great here...i really do think that and i was all for having him here but im glad atleast that we can now move on....i think we definitely need a LB in either round 1 or round 3.....

J Tes
04-22-2006, 12:09 PM

Good. Now we can stop all this Arrington talk. He's a very good player and would have been a great addition to this team, but this situation was getting really annoying.

BrazForPhins
04-22-2006, 12:10 PM
Overpaid.

CrunchTime
04-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Thats where he wanted to go from the start all things being equal.The other clubs were just pawns in his effort to get a better contract.

Smoke
04-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Im glad we didnt pay him that much. Would've been nice to have but there are some good options in the draft.

nighttrain76
04-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Then lets get Chad Greenway or Ernie Sims @ #16. I think most of the draft will be on the defensive side. How about taking that money that was offered to LaVar and pick Ty Law or Woodson for a one or two year deal with alot of bonuses.

Just my thoughts on a Saturday afternoon.:goof:

csabe
04-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Oh well, Glad Saban didn't overpay at least even though it would have been nice to get him.

TRUDOLFAN54
04-22-2006, 12:25 PM
oh well let him go up there do we play them this year cuz if we do i can't wait for ricky or ronnie to run him over......:fire:

danephin
04-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Arrington would have been sweet, no doubt about it. But I still think we're fine with Crowder, Thomas, Hodge and Spragan. We don't necessarily have to go LB in the 1st round, but we definitely need to get an LB in the 3rd or 4th though. I'd like to go WR in the 1st, maybe Safety. I really do think Hodge will turn out to be a hell of a player for us. When the season rolls around, he should be starting ahead of Spragan.

Marino13fanboy1
04-22-2006, 12:41 PM
$7 million a year is WAYYYYYY too much for Arrington - especially since he's a guy who didn't or wouldn't work along with the defensive schemes in Washington (neither Marvin Lewis or Greg Williams could get him to buy into their D).

We'll draft a LB and be just fine, but this is a little setback for our 3-4 schemes. We could go 4-3 just fine with what we have now, but it'll be more difficult now unless JT (and either Roth or Bowens) are really ready to tear things up as OLBs.

Anthony D.
04-22-2006, 01:32 PM
It is good that this is over.Now Saban can pull off another Channing Crowder in the 3rd round.That would be sweet!

Sean0617
04-22-2006, 01:37 PM
way yoo much money for him. I am glad the phins did not increase there initial offer. 5 Mil a year for this guy would have been a decent price, but 7 mil a year for a guy who has bad knees and has never lived up to expectations is a little steep. At least we can all move on now

SamBoSqueezy
04-22-2006, 01:39 PM

all i can say is hell yeah to that dude i agree 100%

FinFan72
04-22-2006, 01:45 PM
I only wanted him if we could get him at around 4-5 million a year but i knew that would never happen

SeahawkFinFan
04-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Overpaid.

This is what's annoying about the NFL: you can never tell what a contract actually is when it's announced since the contracts aren't guaranteed. For all I know, the guy's cap number is 2 mil this year, and the deal is severly backloaded and filled with performance incentives and he'll never see 3/4 of the money...maybe not so applicable with such a high profile signing, but you guys know what I mean.

Dredd1050
04-22-2006, 01:47 PM
oh well let him go up there do we play them this year cuz if we do i can't wait for ricky or ronnie to run him over......:fire:

AFC East plays NFC North, so no they don't play them this year.

thecoordinator
04-22-2006, 01:55 PM
i wont lie i would have loved to get lavar, especially in the beginning. however, the more and more he demonstrated that it wasn't about winning and the "team" but all about the money, i began to care less and less to the point now that i'm actually glad we didnt sign him

DolphinDevil28
04-22-2006, 01:59 PM

Nope. Not here.

I wanted LaVar very badly.

However, I don't think I'll lose sleep over it. What this does, in my eyes, is open up outside linebacker as possibly the most likely target at pick 16 in the draft. We could go defensive back, outside linebacker or wide receiver. I wouldn't be surprised at any of those positions.

I'd say defensive tackle, but only if Brodrick Bunkley or Haloti Ngata were available, and I don't think they will be.

I want Santonio Holmes, but I can really, really see us taking Kamerion Wimbley. I think he fits our D perfectly.

Montella
04-22-2006, 02:08 PM
it's good that saban won't gave him the money he was looking for. he had done nothing the past 2 years and 7 million a year is way too much. lavar will see which team is better by the end of the season and then he realize that he gets more money in frozen ny, but we got the better team here in sunny miami... :cooldude:

Prime
04-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Nope. Not here.

I wanted LaVar very badly.

However, I don't think I'll lose sleep over it. What this does, in my eyes, is open up outside linebacker as possibly the most likely target at pick 16 in the draft. We could go defensive back, outside linebacker or wide receiver. I wouldn't be surprised at any of those positions.

I'd say defensive tackle, but only if Brodrick Bunkley or Haloti Ngata were available, and I don't think they will be.

I want Santonio Holmes, but I can really, really see us taking Kamerion Wimbley. I think he fits our D perfectly.

I think that Arrington would've been our ticket of drafting either Chad Jackson or Santonio Holmes with the 16th pick. Now that he has signed with the Giants, I think that we will focus on defense with our 1st pick and then maybe a WR in the 3rd or 4th round. I don't know too much on Wimbley, but I read a nice report on him over at nfldraftcountdown.com. As long as we will get either Santonio Holmes, Jason Allen, Chad Greenway, Bobby Carpenter or Manny Lawson, then I will be fine with our pick.

phinphan11
04-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Ok,
The poker game with Arrington has just ended. But, Saban still playing poker on another table with Matt Millen.
Got to love it !

know when to fold them....

Sethdaddy8
04-22-2006, 02:20 PM

You were like the 6th or 7th post on this thread. I'd say maybe 2 posts before yours were slightly negative, but not bad by any means. You obviously had this redunant and cynical remark waiting in the wings. You could have atleast waited for 20 or 30 posts before making it...because it was irrelevant at the point you posted it. And to be honest, most of the people on here are right. For 5 million a year, that's a fair gamble on someone who could have an amazing impact. But don't forget about the downside...for seven million a year, he has been underachieving throughout his career, save one season, and he very well may continue that trend in the Giants defensive system which is inferior to Miami's.

Roman529
04-22-2006, 02:26 PM

I'm still laughing as he wanted too much money....he is also damaged goods, and he is also too old...no we can focus on younger guys who are not living off their rep (like Lavar is). Yeah, he is going to love Coughlin who runs practice and meetings like a boot camp.

Sethdaddy8
04-22-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm still laughing as he wanted too much money....he is also damaged goods, and he is also too old...no we can focus on younger guys who are not living off their rep (like Lavar is). Yeah, he is going to love Coughlin who runs practice and meetings like a boot camp.

Yeah and Saban is a regular *****cat right?

When's the last time Coughlin made a player cry???

And why are you quoting him? He is ripping people with your opinion.

DolfanChris06
04-22-2006, 03:10 PM
between all the FEELY FIEDLER and Cutler threads!!!! this year all the LAVAR, Manny Lawson noise!

ASUFinFan
04-22-2006, 03:50 PM
We offered him decent money, either way we can fix the outside linebacker position through the draft for alot cheaper than he was going to be.

like2god
04-22-2006, 03:55 PM
I posted this in another thread, but here it goes....
Thank god, now we can all move on!
About a month ago I was all for signing Lavar, but after a month of these threads of people overstating his abilities I had a change of heart. The guy is a talented INDIVIDUAL (key word). He is a beast when he can rush the QB to get a sack, other than that there isn't much to talk about. He is known for taking plays off and not being in position on defense when he isn't blitzing, which isn't something that we need on this team, a zillion sacks or not. And the way Lavar and his agents negotiated told me all I needed to know about him. YES it's a business (don't bother with that arguement, please :shakeno: ) I understand that, but the guy isn't worth that much money to this team. He is recovering from an injury and has shown a poor attitude when he was in Washington. I, like many here, thought that Saban's leadership could turn the guy around, make him focus and become an all around defensive player. I would rather the Dolphins draft a young player like Lawson or Greenway who can be taught and will be a PART of a team concept. Flame me if you will, just my opinion.

jlfin
04-22-2006, 04:51 PM

"all of you"? Doesn't include me and I'm part of "all of you", therefore, "all of you" is really "some of you".
Your generalizations make me laugh, because it was only a fraction of the posters here who thought he would be amazing.
Those who say he wasn't that good or over rated are those who were never high on acquiring him in the first place. :lol: :lol:

elite14eva
04-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Giants | More on Arrington deal
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:21:36 -0700
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/9">ESPN.com's John Clayton (http://www.kffl.com/link/125) reports agent Kevin Poston didn't say how much was guaranteed in LB LaVar Arrington (http://www.kffl.com/player/1917/nfl)'s contract, but New York Giants (http://www.kffl.com/team/26/nfl) general manager Ernie Accorsi indicated that it includes performance bonuses. To get the $7 million-per-year, Arrington and the Giants (http://www.kffl.com/team/26/nfl) agreed to load the deal with incentives. Arrington, who will get a $5.25 million signing bonus, will receive a base salary worth around $3.7 million a year. With reachable incentives, Arrington can make $5 million a year and with maximum performance, he can take the deal to $49 million if he completes the seven years of his contract.

PALMA
04-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Obviously he will never see all 49 million. We don't need this free-lancing, bone on bone knee, propensity to make a bonehead play, constant reassurance that he’s the man, linebacker on our team. Good luck LaVashed up.

It’s a shame we didn’t get him, but if Saban absolutely needed LaVar he likely would have tried harder. We attempted to get a favorable deal for ourselves in the process of getting a good player, but it didn’t work out. That’s fine and chances are plans 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d, etc., etc., are already in the works.

LaL08Kb12004
04-22-2006, 07:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2417903, lavar arrington has inked his contract with the giants at 7 yrs 49 mil. Not about the money my @ss. I personaly see how selfish this guy is after signing a huge contract with the giants

XXXSURTAINXXX
04-22-2006, 07:30 PM
You just scraped the scabs off the wound. Brace For Shock!!!!!

Fresh
04-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah, thanks for posting news that we've known for over 3 hours now.

LaL08Kb12004
04-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah, thanks for posting news that we've known for over 3 hours now.

my thread got moved

gintsfan23
04-22-2006, 07:35 PM
Please read the TOS. Personal attacks are not allowed here.

You guys make me laugh. The deal was incentive laden and it's not 7 mil a year numbskulls...

To get the $7 million-per-year, Arrington and the Giants agreed to load the deal with incentives, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported. Arrington, who will get a $5.25 million signing bonus, will receive a base salary worth around $3.7 million a year. With reachable incentives, Arrington can make $5 million a year and with maximum performance, he can take the deal to $49 million if he completes the seven years of his contract.

LoveoFTheGaMe
04-22-2006, 07:39 PM
this posted on a giants fan site....

To get the $7 million-per-year, Arrington and the Giants agreed to load the deal with incentives, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported. Arrington, who will get a $5.25 million signing bonus, will receive a base salary worth around $3.7 million a year. With reachable incentives, Arrington can make $5 million a year and with maximum performance, he can take the deal to $49 million if he completes the seven years of his contract.

Only $5.25 mil bonus, this is crazy ...how could we not get this deal done!

Sorry that my first post is about a player that we lost .....but i felt the need to report this.

heres the link:http://bigblueinteractive.com/petescorner2/forum_display.cfm?F1_ID=186915

FanMarino
04-22-2006, 07:43 PM
You guys make me laugh. The deal was incentive laden and it's not 7 mil a year numbskulls...

Numbskulls? sorry missed the rest of ya post. what did ya say? oh yes. incentives.

Montella
04-22-2006, 08:27 PM
$7 million-per-year is way overpayed, he have done nothing the last 2 years...

icephinfan
04-22-2006, 09:27 PM
$7 million-per-year is way overpayed, he have done nothing the last 2 years...

:yeahthat: :yes: