PDA

View Full Version : some help with images please

cnc66
04-23-2006, 10:28 AM
I have some scans I made in Palm Beach of some old photo collections. They were scanned as a "TIF". Now that I have them home home I would like to change the type of file they are so I can move the images say to photobucket...which will not accept a TIF file. So, my question is, how do I change file types from TIF to one of these... gif, jpg, jpeg, png, bmp, swf

I do not understand the fundimental differences between the files either, so if there is one I should chose over another I would appreciate that help too.

thanks

Sethworld
04-23-2006, 10:45 AM
gif - small in size, not great for photos
jpg, jpeg - these are the same, great for photos and the web
png - Also really good choice
bmp - Windows format, not really great for anything
swf - This is a Flash file... not an image file.

To covert you need an image manipulation software... Photoshop, GIMP, etc.

cnc66
04-23-2006, 10:58 AM
gif - small in size, not great for photos
jpg, jpeg - these are the same, great for photos and the web
png - Also really good choice
bmp - Windows format, not really great for anything
swf - This is a Flash file... not an image file.

To covert you need an image manipulation software... Photoshop, GIMP, etc.

thanks Seth, I appreciate the explanations. So, without one of those programs I am stuck? I do not have photoshop, obviously the system that scanned the images did. Is the process time consuming or difficult? I ask because I have a friend with photoshop, could I give her a cd, have her convert, burn a new one in the new format and send it back?

Jt0323
04-23-2006, 01:02 PM
if u want u can download gimp for free
http://www.gimp.org/

Sethworld
04-23-2006, 01:47 PM
The process is super easy. You can also use Microsoft Photo Editor that comes with XP.

cnc66
04-23-2006, 01:54 PM
ok, JT, thanks, I appreciate the link.

Seth, thanks, If I am unsuccessfull with the gimp thing I can have a friewnd mess with them.

thank you both.