PDA

View Full Version : What do we do about Devin Hester?

South Florida
04-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Here's my deal.

Every time I watched him with the ball in his hands, I had dreams of him bathed in aqua and orange.

He didn't make the progress I thought he'd make during this past season, but I only see that and his decision to leave early as a huge opportunity.

I don't know how to grade him.

I know he won't (shouldn't) be around in the 3rd round.

I don't see how we could trade down with Chad Jackson, Santonio Holmes or Jimmy Williams still being available, but if it meant that we'd acquire a 2nd with which to snag this little slot/nickle/return man for next year (until developed, of course), I think I'd have to do it.

Anyone agree with me?

He's definitely raw. But more so, he's a threatening player from anywhere on the field at any position.

Watch this video:

http://media.putfile.com/devin-hester

SpencerFS
04-23-2006, 03:05 PM
i agree he is very raw and no real postion yet but ive seen one game of him and i was really impressed id like to see him at Wr/Cb. His combine numbers dont show how fast he really is on the field

Alex44
04-23-2006, 03:25 PM
I wouldnt take him before the 4th or 5th round in this draft

He has some serious speed, but he doesnt KNOW how to play any real positions, so if you take him your takeing a guy who will be a return man for 3-5 years before you get anything at any other position

There is more to playing reciever than just running fast and catching balls, he needs to learn the technique behind it

I dont think he will play corner in the NFL, because most his skill comes with the ball in his hands

South Florida
04-23-2006, 03:27 PM
I dont think he will play corner in the NFL, because most his skill comes with the ball in his hands

Good point, only, they CAN PUT the ball in his hands in the NFL.

That's why I want him.

miadfins
04-23-2006, 03:33 PM
He isnt a second rounder and if we spend a second or a third it will be a big mistake with all the holes we have and age problems

Crowder52
04-23-2006, 03:35 PM
2nd rounder for a return man? That's not even feasible.

Alex44
04-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Good point, only, they CAN PUT the ball in his hands in the NFL.

That's why I want him.

Id take him as a reciever/returner, but in the second round you want a guy that is going to make a semi-immediate impact on your team, for a return man I dont think you do that, especially when your already low on draft picks, and we would have to trade for the second round pick we would be using

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-23-2006, 04:13 PM
hopefully we do nothing...

Troysif
04-23-2006, 04:47 PM
we dont do anything he isnt our problem and hopefully never will be

Ghetti13
04-23-2006, 05:32 PM
I feel Hester will be drafted alot earlier than some think. Possibly as high as 32 to the Steelers. See, this kid is so explosive with the ball in his hands that some team will rightly take an early flyer on him. Worst case scenario is that he constantly changes the field position by returning kicks and punts and takes three or four bubble screens to the house every year.

He is a player who should have been playing wide receiver, not corner at Miami. There was no reason for him to be on the defensive side of the ball. Now, I realize there have been some rumors that he is dumb as a box of rocks, and if that is true, then yes, he is not worth a first day pick.

However:

If he is of average intelligence and capable of reading defenses from the receiver position, he is going to become an outstanding wide receiver in the NFL.

I would love to have him on the Miami Dolphins. He is easily the second most explosive offensive threat in this draft. I expect him to be long gone by the time Miami picks in the third round. But, if he isn't, I would not be shocked if Miami does not hesitate.

He will be a wide receiver, not a corner in the NFL. Do doubt about it.

TotoreMexico
04-23-2006, 05:38 PM
2nd rounder for a return man? That's not even feasible.

Besides we don't have a 2nd

Dors156
04-23-2006, 06:40 PM
i would definately take him in the fourth.no doubt about it.i think with saban focusing on db's in practice so much hester could be a good nickle corner.plus he could help out welker to in returns because of his injury

Flyer22
04-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Worst case scenario is that he constantly changes the field position by returning kicks and punts and takes three or four bubble screens to the house every year. Sounds like a best case scenario. 3 or 4 screen pass TDs a year? He only had 8 career TDs in college (1 rushing, 1 fumble return, 4 punt return, 2 kick return, and 0 receiving). How can you expect him to take 3 or 4 screen passes for TDs every year in the NFL?

Ghetti13
04-23-2006, 07:26 PM
The draft is about projecting a players skill set the the NFL. On rare occasions this projection has little correlation to production. Most notably when a position change is involved.

I think his skill set lends itself to immense big plays at the receiver position.

dominizzo
04-23-2006, 07:31 PM
I wouldnt take him before the 4th or 5th round in this draft

He has some serious speed, but he doesnt KNOW how to play any real positions, so if you take him your takeing a guy who will be a return man for 3-5 years before you get anything at any other position

There is more to playing reciever than just running fast and catching balls, he needs to learn the technique behind it

i think he sucks

Mr.305
04-23-2006, 09:45 PM
i think he sucks

U dnt watch the hurricanes much do you???

:dolphins:

Crowder52
04-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Besides we don't have a 2nd

Yea but this dude, if read his post, wants to trade down to pick up a 2nd to burn on Hester.

Crowder52
04-23-2006, 10:07 PM
I feel Hester will be drafted alot earlier than some think. Possibly as high as 32 to the Steelers. See, this kid is so explosive with the ball in his hands that some team will rightly take an early flyer on him. Worst case scenario is that he constantly changes the field position by returning kicks and punts and takes three or four bubble screens to the house every year.

He is a player who should have been playing wide receiver, not corner at Miami. There was no reason for him to be on the defensive side of the ball. Now, I realize there have been some rumors that he is dumb as a box of rocks, and if that is true, then yes, he is not worth a first day pick.

However:

If he is of average intelligence and capable of reading defenses from the receiver position, he is going to become an outstanding wide receiver in the NFL.

I would love to have him on the Miami Dolphins. He is easily the second most explosive offensive threat in this draft. I expect him to be long gone by the time Miami picks in the third round. But, if he isn't, I would not be shocked if Miami does not hesitate.

He is not of average intelligence, unfortunately. He couldn't even qualify for college and had to sit out a year while trying to get his grades or test scores up. Let me tell you, you need like a 750 SAT to qualify for college football and I don't think he got that.

Awsi Dooger
04-23-2006, 10:40 PM

However:

Very good post. Hester is the type of player who inevitably gets taken much earlier than projected. It's the default to early opinion aspect. Last offseason I remember thinking, and posting, that Reggie Bush, Devin Hester and Ted Ginn were the three most explosive players in college football. There wasn't exactly widespread disagreement. If I had to put one of them on the goal line 100 yards away and say score, our season depends on it, I would pick Hester.

Admittedly, last year he declined and was hurt. Too much backpedal early in the year, trying to take everything the distance. But he can be a terrific combo as a spot player at RB and WR, instant points and that's incredibly vital in the NFL. Just look at the Super Bowl, where the Steelers were generally outplayed but made the big plays when they were available while the Seattle skill players did not.

DcRy82
04-23-2006, 11:19 PM
i think he sucks

What an intelligent reply :shakeno: He may not be the brightest crayon in the box, but he has more athletic talent and ability in his pinky toe than you or anyone else who shares your opinion.

i am a Canes fan, but i wouldnt spend any better than a 4th on him. so i'm not a homer, but at the same time i would love to see him returning kicks AND punts for us... dont give me that "wes welker for president" stuff.. wes is a good position player for us and he works hard and has every dolphin fan's respect (especially after he kicked extra points for us two years ago) but i would give Wes away if we could take hester in the 5th... the reason "he sucks" this past season was for two reasons: one, he was hurt and had nagging injuries. and two, people were SCARED to put the ball in his hands. Teams simply punted or squib kicked away from him. he could be just as good or better than daunte hall... but like i said i wouldnt spend any better than a 4th or 5th on him.

caneproud117
04-23-2006, 11:22 PM
One word, safety. He's athletic, has great closing speed and is a sure tackler. However, he's not a big hitter. So I could see him at FS as a roamer making picks. He's definately a great special teamer but we all knew that. Unfortunately he'll be gone late 2nd to early 3rd before we pick. If we go LB in the first round, I wouldn't mind picking him up if he's there in the 3rd. The 3rd round is where you go after guys with huge potential.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-23-2006, 11:45 PM
One word, safety. He's athletic, has great closing speed and is a sure tackler. However, he's not a big hitter. So I could see him at FS as a roamer making picks. He's definately a great special teamer but we all knew that. Unfortunately he'll be gone late 2nd to early 3rd before we pick. If we go LB in the first round, I wouldn't mind picking him up if he's there in the 3rd. The 3rd round is where you go after guys with huge potential.
hester? a safety?

Awsi Dooger
04-23-2006, 11:57 PM
I can't see him at safety. Actually, I did see him at safety briefly and it was a disaster. His first play on defense was against La Tech in 2004. I attended the game and watched Hester specifically when he trotted out on defense. He was very hesitant and took the wrong angle and blew the play so decisively it gained something like 55 yards.

If Hester plays defense it has to be CB where his natural competitiveness and athletic ability is in focus, not safety where his frail frame and lack of toughness and smarts would make him a liability.

He'll be used on offense. Someone who makes creative use of slots and motion could really find something in Hester. He's an absolute blur to the outside.

caneproud117
04-24-2006, 07:42 AM
I can't see him at safety. Actually, I did see him at safety briefly and it was a disaster. His first play on defense was against La Tech in 2004. I attended the game and watched Hester specifically when he trotted out on defense. He was very hesitant and took the wrong angle and blew the play so decisively it gained something like 55 yards.

If Hester plays defense it has to be CB where his natural competitiveness and athletic ability is in focus, not safety where his frail frame and lack of toughness and smarts would make him a liability.

He'll be used on offense. Someone who makes creative use of slots and motion could really find something in Hester. He's an absolute blur to the outside.

It was a disaster because they just threw him out there. I'm talking about teaching this kid up. Not to mention the kid is tough, he took hits and was a flying bullet at the edge on special teams.

You might be right about him not being able to pick up the complexities of the position but IF he could he has the speed and acceleration and tackling ability to make a difference back there.

Awsi Dooger
04-24-2006, 02:26 PM
It was a disaster because they just threw him out there. I'm talking about teaching this kid up. Not to mention the kid is tough, he took hits and was a flying bullet at the edge on special teams.

You might be right about him not being able to pick up the complexities of the position but IF he could he has the speed and acceleration and tackling ability to make a difference back there.

Yeah, it's true they just tossed him out there. The game was in hand so they experimented and it was funny to watch. I can still picture Devin looking hesitantly to the outside instead of covering his assigned territory. His steps were basically up and down in the same place until the ball was caught and he chased it, taking the wrong angle. I was actually very surprised later in the year when he was playing decently at corner.

kpcane
04-24-2006, 02:56 PM
i am a Canes fan, but i wouldnt spend any better than a 4th on him. so i'm not a homer

uh...according to some people on this board you are. I said I would spend a 4th on him, and was called a homer.

Meanwhile, Gators fans are calling for Chad Jackson in the first while we have Chambers and Booker, and holes on the o-line, OLB, and the secondary....go figure.

kpcane
04-24-2006, 02:57 PM
we dont do anything he isnt our problem and hopefully never will be

If we don't draft him, he will be our problem.

SpencerFS
04-24-2006, 04:01 PM
imagine him as a Running back

kpcane
12-12-2006, 12:47 PM
and another bump for the fun of it

Martel
12-12-2006, 02:27 PM
Egg meet face.

Face, this is egg.

Finch83
12-12-2006, 03:41 PM
i think he sucks

:shakeno:

nick1
12-12-2006, 04:04 PM
you guys should have known better, we Cane fans knew he was going to be good. like I said earlier in the year he is the best returner in the league

Pennington's Rocket Arm
12-12-2006, 04:06 PM
you guys should have known better, we Cane fans knew he was going to be good. like I said earlier in the year he is the best returner in the league
yes but you cane fans "know" every player from Thug U will be good. occasionally, one actually IS good, so you look smart. i guess.

nick1
12-12-2006, 04:09 PM
yes but you cane fans "know" every player from Thug U will be good. occasionally, one actually IS good, so you look smart. i guess.
occasionally? ever heard of Andre Johnson, Willis McGahee, Clinton Portis, Frank Gore, Ed Reed, Sean Taylor, D.J.Williams, John Vilma, I could go on. all were not long ago drafted

Motion
12-12-2006, 04:25 PM

:lol:

nick1
12-12-2006, 04:26 PM
I'll just say this, UM puts out more NFL players than any other university and alot of them are top players

Motion
12-12-2006, 04:27 PM
I'll just say this, UM puts out more NFL players than any other university and alot of them are top players

Honest question......

Do they really keep stats on stuff like that?

nick1
12-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Honest question......

:tongue:

305TillIDie
12-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Honest question......

Do they really keep stats on stuff like that?you bet :D

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/12/neonu-1.gif

Motion
12-12-2006, 04:37 PM
I'm serious though :D

That'd be interesting to see how all the schools stand.

nick1
12-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I'm serious though :D

That'd be interesting to see how all the schools stand.
might be somewhere on the internet, you can find almost anything :wink:

kpcane
12-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Yeah didn't you hear us raving about kelly jennings, marcus maxey, leon williams, and rocky mcintosh (all guys drafted last year)?

That's absolutely hilarious that you say that occasionally one of our players is good. To add onto the other guys list, I guess Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Dan Morgan, Edgerrin James, Santana Moss, Jeremy Shockey, Bubba Franks, Kellen Winslow should be added. We produce the most talent of all of college football, and as a college football and NFL fan, you should know that.

MiamiFan1354
12-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Hester will just end up being like Daunte Hall.. No one is going to kick to him anymore, and he'll fade away..

Alex44
12-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Hester will just end up being like Daunte Hall.. No one is going to kick to him anymore, and he'll fade away..

Then he will have another effect on the game, when teams try to kick away from someone they generally make more bad kicks than good ones and give up field position.

If you think Daunte Hall still doesnt have a huge effect on a game your wrong

miamiron
12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
i think he sucks

Good call on Hester:sidelol:

Mike13
12-12-2006, 07:43 PM
Hester is a stud.

Dolfan11
12-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Honest question......

Not sure if this list is complete, but it looks like it. Inside the left box that looks like an outline, click on 8.2.3 National Football League (NFL) for the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Miami#National_Football_League_.28NFL.29

Here's the list for UF NFL players, but it doesn't divide it be current or former NFL players. You have to scroll down a little bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Florida_alumni

Comparing the U's list to the Gators', I'm guessing you guys need to impliment the "Thug" into UF so you're school might just produce a tad more NFL players. :wink:
If that list is accurate, there's only about 15 current NFL players from UF compared to the U's 30+.

Motion
12-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Not sure if this list is complete, but it looks like it. Inside the left box that looks like an outline, click on 8.2.3 National Football League (NFL) for the list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Miami#National_Football_League_.28NFL.29

Here's the list for UF NFL players, but it doesn't divide it be current or former NFL players. You have to scroll down a little bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_University_of_Florida_alumni

Comparing the U's list to the Gators', I'm guessing you guys need to impliment the "Thug" into UF so you're school might just produce a tad more NFL players. :wink:
If that list is accurate, there's only about 15 current NFL players from UF compared to the U's 30+.

Can't be too accurate, I could name 15 right off the top of my head.

Skeet84
12-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Can't be too accurate, I could name 15 right off the top of my head.

We will be adding a few more after this year! :evil:

kpcane
12-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Doesn't matter how many Florida has, the point is they will never produce NFL stars the way Miami has. That's why it was ridiculous that UF girl up there was saying that we occassionally put out good players. Last time I checked the University of Miami is called NFL U, not the University of Florida.