PDA

View Full Version : WWII Vet returns French Thank You Certificate

PhinPhan1227
03-12-2003, 10:19 AM
They really were the Greatest Generation.

Disappointed WWII Veteran Returns Medal From France

Published: Mar 11, 2003

N EW PORT RICHEY - When World War II soldier Angelo Pizzuti received a certificate of thanks from France during a ceremony in Sims Park here two years ago, it was a moment of pride he shared with more than 300 other local veterans.
But now Pizzuti, 80, is saying no thanks to the recognition. He's upset the country he helped liberate almost 60 years ago is not supporting U.S. efforts to forcibly disarm Iraq.

``When France betrayed us, that was a terrible thing [French President Jacques] Chirac did, stabbing us in the back,'' Pizzuti said Monday.

During the weekend, he sent back the ``Thank You America'' certificate to the French Consulate in Miami with a letter expressing his dismay with the French government.

Pizzuti told how he was wounded in the hand by artillery fire in fall 1944 as he fought in the Army's 5th Infantry Division in Metz, France.

Pizzuti said he hopes letters like his will help convince Chirac that it's time to use arms against Saddam Hussein.

``When you can stand up and be a friend to the United States of America, then you can return the diploma to me.''

Lisa A. Davis

http://tampatrib.com/nationworldnews/MGAHN6IG5DD.html

WharfRat
03-12-2003, 11:11 AM
:patriot: :drinkers: Three cheers for Angelo!!!!

LeftCoastPhin
03-12-2003, 05:29 PM
I agree, I have a TON of respect for that generation of Americans. They stand alone at the top as far as I'm concerned. If our generation had half of the will, courage, morals, and conviction that generation had, we'd be in much, much better shape as a nation.

My biggest gripe is our collective lack of personal responsibity in this society, it's always the other guy's fault. But that's for a different argument...

t2thejz
03-12-2003, 06:44 PM
thats the way Angelo!!!!