PDA

View Full Version : National DNA databse...Pro or Con

PhinPhan1227
03-12-2003, 10:46 AM
Virginia now has a policy where they take DNA along with fingerprints whenever someone is arrested(instead of just when convicted which is what most other states do). The DNA record is expunged if the person is not convicted, but first it's run through the database to see if anyones looking for that DNA in another case. Some people see this as a civil rights violation, but I disagree. We take fingerprints when someone is arrested and run them through THAT database, why is DNA any different? They take a swab of mouth cells, so it's not any more invasive than fingerprints. Honestly, I'd love to see a national DNA database, but I'm sure the ACLU would go apesh!t. Just seems to me that for the ability to catch criminals, and identify runaways, and John/Jane Doe's, you're giving up no more than you do to get a drivers licence. Just my opinion as someone who had to be fingerprinted to join the military.

iceblizzard69
03-12-2003, 05:32 PM
I think it is a good idea to have a national DNA database. If they took their DNA and compared it when they are arrested, they may be resposnsible for a crime somewhere else where they wouldn't be caught. I don't know how you could be against this, it is for putting criminals behind bars and people who stay out of trouble aren't affected.

PhinPhan1227
03-12-2003, 05:54 PM
People who are against it generally cite privacy issues, and the potential for abuse by companies who may discriminate against those with genetic defects(insurance companies, companies wanting to avoid hiring those with chronic illnesses). My view is that this information will eventually become public anyway, and the risk is outweighed by the reward of being able to identify repeat criminals BEFORE they become repeat criminals. Imagine if we could prevent any serial rapists/killers from getting past that first victim.

LeftCoastPhin
03-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Privacy is overated and often the root of hypopracy. We want to be safe, and you'd bet we want to know if our neighbor is a child molestor but we get pissed if people know things about us like if we bought a toaster last week! I am in favor of the DNA database.