PDA

View Full Version : Carolina looking to trade up!

TXFinFan
04-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Panthers | Team may try to trade up in the NFL Draft

Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:46:01 -0700

Steve Reed, of the Gaston Gazette, reports Carolina Panthers (http://www.kffl.com/team/10/nfl) general manager Marty Hurney admitted the team may try to trade up from the No. 27 pick in the NFL Draft (http://www.kffl.com/link/159). "We try to go into it with an open mind," Hurney said. "We like being active and trying to move if it warrants it." The Panthers (http://www.kffl.com/team/10/nfl) are in the enviable position of being very deep at several positions and they really don't have many spots to fill on their 53-man roster. If the Panthers (http://www.kffl.com/team/10/nfl) stood pat and used all eight of their current draft picks, it's highly unlikely more than three would make the roster because the team is so deep. At this point, the most obvious positions of need are running back, tight end, safety, outside linebacker and guard, but the team could go in just about any direction with the only exception being defensive tackle.

TXFinFan
04-26-2006, 08:59 AM
With the Panthers and Steelers both looking to trade up, the Dolphins are in a very good position to trade down and pick up extra picks. I also think we will field a ton of offers if Cutler drops to 16. We might even be able to get our 2nd round pick back from the Vikings so they can swap spots with us and grab Cutler.

Things are looking very bright for our draft this year. I have a strong feeling that we will trade down and still pick up someone like Chad Greenway or Bobby Carpenter.

I can't wait!

Motion
04-26-2006, 09:07 AM
We really need to trade down.

GCD960
04-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Thats cool, 2 teams opens things up for us. Possibly 3 if Cutler is still there with the vikings. What would the trade with the panthers look like? THere 1st and 2nd or less/more?

PhinFan0202
04-26-2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah if we trade down there is a possibility we could still get Santonio and maybe even get Lawson in the 2nd.

Phishstix
04-26-2006, 10:45 AM
We really need to trade down.

agreed:dolphins:

newlownorder
04-26-2006, 10:51 AM
I would much rather trade with the panthers than the steelers.

nick1
04-26-2006, 10:57 AM
trade down and we get a 2nd back than pick BPA at #27 aka Chad Greenway

TotoreMexico
04-26-2006, 11:01 AM

Or Cromartie

Bucknasty
04-26-2006, 11:03 AM
The panthers have the 27th and 58th picks = 1000 points on the value chart. That is EXACTLY the value of the our 16th . Whereas the Steelers would have to give up their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks to equal the value of our 16th, because of their late round picks. I'm not so sure they would be willing to do that in a deep draft suck as this, unless they really fell in love with Holmes or Jackson. Carolina makes much more sense. I'm sure there will be an impact player at 27 , and a decent one at 58.

Motion
04-26-2006, 11:04 AM

Not a big fan of his but I seriously doubt he'll still be available at that point.

nick1
04-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Not a big fan of his but I seriously doubt he'll still be available at that point.
maybe not, I'm not sure who will be available at that point maybe we would grab Sinorice Moss than

Montella
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
if we are able to trade down i hope we can still get manny lawson in the late 20's, if not i think thomas howard is also a good fit in the late 1st round and similar to lawson, im not sure that coach saban is looking for greenway or carpenter, they are not that pass rushing olb that coach saban is looking for and they might be gone in the top 20...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/mannylawson.html

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/olb/thomashoward.html

TractorTraylor
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
In an ideal world, Cutler would drop to 16, Miami would trade back with Minnesota and then Carolina/Pitt trades up with us once again and we stockpile some more picks.. unlikely, but still possible. Im still all for taking Holmes if hes there tho..

DcRy82
04-26-2006, 11:29 AM
if we trade down... Antonio Cromartie, Manny Lawson, Jason Allen, Sin. Moss... in that order

Motion
04-26-2006, 11:30 AM
In an ideal world, Cutler would drop to 16, Miami would trade back with Minnesota and then Carolina/Pitt trades up with us once again and we stockpile some more picks.. unlikely, but still possible.

That would be amazing.

Montella
04-26-2006, 12:49 PM
if we should get carolinas 1st and 2nd round pick for our 1st round pick that would be great for us...

#16=1000 value pts
#27(680) + #58(320) = 1000 value pts

Bucknasty
04-26-2006, 12:56 PM
They actually have the 27 and 58

Motion
04-26-2006, 01:09 PM
if we are able to trade down i hope we can still get manny lawson in the late 20's, if not i think thomas howard is also a good fit in the late 1st round and similar to lawson, im not sure that coach saban is looking for greenway or carpenter, they are not that pass rushing olb that coach saban is looking for and they might be gone in the top 20...

Jax is rumored to be very high on Howard.

Jaj
04-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Well value-wise it works out and I wouldn't be surprised if it happened. Panthers would probably like a RB the most, possibly Lendale or DeAngelo.

The Ravens are another team who's a possible trading partner.

jimthefin
04-26-2006, 04:59 PM
My hope has always been to trade down.

This is a deep draft and the strength of it is in the 2-4 rounds.

I would love to swap with Carolina and then take Nick Mangold with their 1st rounder.

finfan54
04-26-2006, 05:03 PM
My hope has always been to trade down.

This is a deep draft and the strength of it is in the 2-4 rounds.

I would love to swap with Carolina and then take Nick Mangold with their 1st rounder.

Not alot of people would like that, I however would love that! PB Center sounds like a huge winner to me.

NorFlaFin
04-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Carolina needs a RB and LB. While this years draft is deep at LB. It's unusually thin at RB.

RHoffman
04-26-2006, 09:08 PM
would have appeal to me at that point.

Honestly, I think I'd take Mangold and a second over just about anybody who would be realistically availabe at 16...

again unless someone like Huff slips.

MartinTheSNAKE
04-26-2006, 11:41 PM
am i the only person who would rather have lawson then a late 1rst and 2nd rounder?

maybe im crazy but WHY THE HELL WOULD WE PASS ON HIM? HE IS A BEAST, U DONT NORMALLY FIND SOMONE WITH HIS SIZE AND SPEED AT THE LB POSITION, i dont even no how hes not a top 10 pick, DRAFT LAWSON

ronniethetruck
04-27-2006, 12:52 AM
only way i would trade our 16th pick is if chad jackson, michael huff do make it past 15. if one of them gets up to 16 i would not hesinate on pullin the trigger nick :P

finfan54
04-27-2006, 09:05 AM
In an ideal world, Cutler would drop to 16, Miami would trade back with Minnesota and then Carolina/Pitt trades up with us once again and we stockpile some more picks.. unlikely, but still possible. Im still all for taking Holmes if hes there tho..

YES! Yes! and Yes! Cutler is the one guy who could be a draft day boondoggle! Minny is interested in Cutler yes but so is the Jets. The Jets actually can offer us better draft position with there upper second rounder. This is the one guy I am looking for to drop to 16. And there will be alot of Cutler fans dissapointed when Saban trades that pick for more picks.

kpcane
04-27-2006, 09:40 AM
Cutler will not get past Al Davis

Motion
04-27-2006, 09:41 AM
YES! Yes! and Yes! Cutler is the one guy who could be a draft day boondoggle! Minny is interested in Cutler yes but so is the Jets. The Jets actually can offer us better draft position with there upper second rounder. This is the one guy I am looking for to drop to 16. And there will be alot of Cutler fans dissapointed when Saban trades that pick for more picks.

I think most Cutler fans have realized we already got our franchise QB elsewhere and such a trade would greatly benefit the team.

Motion
04-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Cutler will not get past Al Davis

Davis needs to improve that defense.

kpcane
04-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Davis needs to improve that defense.

I think Huff and Hawk will both be gone by 7, and I don't think Ngata or Bunkley will go that high. I just have the feeling that Cutler is exactly the type of QB Davis has liked during his career.

Motion
04-27-2006, 11:15 AM
I think Huff and Hawk will both be gone by 7, and I don't think Ngata or Bunkley will go that high. I just have the feeling that Cutler is exactly the type of QB Davis has liked during his career.

Huff gone by 7? Wow, San Fran?

kpcane
04-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Huff gone by 7? Wow, San Fran?

I did think San Fran, but in my latest mock, I had him slipping past them because I had D'Brick falling. But I think Oakland would pass on Huff.

cheyannefan
04-27-2006, 05:25 PM

Carpenter played DE in the nickel package, so I'm not sure what your saying about not being a pass rusher. I hope we can trade down with the Panthers and grab him.

Hampton53
04-28-2006, 08:49 AM
If Cutler drops to us what picks would we receive if we traded down with Minny and then trade with Car/Ind/Pitt (all in need of a running back)