PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins talking trade with several teams

elite14eva
04-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Dolphins | Talking trade with several teams
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 05:41:38 -0700
Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl">Miami Dolphins have held talks with several teams, including the Minnesota Vikings (http://www.kffl.com/team/23/nfl) and New York Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl), about trading first-round picks in this weekend's NFL Draft (http://www.kffl.com/link/159). Two NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) sources said the Vikings (http://www.kffl.com/team/23/nfl) are looking to move up to select Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler (http://www.kffl.com/player/13538/nfl), if he is still on the board when Miami selects at No. 16. Miami does not have a stated need at quarterback, but head coach Nick Saban (http://www.kffl.com/player/9162/nfl) has not discounted the possibility of taking a quarterback such as Cutler if he slips in the first round. The Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl) are included among the teams talking about trading up from their 29th overall selection because they covet a quarterback if they don't land one with their No. 4 overall pick.

newlownorder
04-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Dolphins | Talking trade with several teams
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 05:41:38 -0700
Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/22/nfl">Miami Dolphins have held talks with several teams, including the Minnesota Vikings (http://www.kffl.com/team/23/nfl) and New York Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl), about trading first-round picks in this weekend's NFL Draft (http://www.kffl.com/link/159). Two NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl) sources said the Vikings (http://www.kffl.com/team/23/nfl) are looking to move up to select Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler (http://www.kffl.com/player/13538/nfl), if he is still on the board when Miami selects at No. 16. Miami does not have a stated need at quarterback, but head coach Nick Saban (http://www.kffl.com/player/9162/nfl) has not discounted the possibility of taking a quarterback such as Cutler if he slips in the first round. The Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl) are included among the teams talking about trading up from their 29th overall selection because they covet a quarterback if they don't land one with their No. 4 overall pick.

Someone already posted this in the draft forum. I really hope we trade down, we need the picks.

Wallace758
04-27-2006, 11:04 AM
good read... i think it would be stupid if we stayed at 16..theres soo many options at 29 if we slide down there...to me all the cornerbacks are equal..so i love the idea

PAFINFAN090
04-27-2006, 11:05 AM
i definitely see trading down as a possibility due to our lack of first day picks. if they will give us their first and second round picks i think saban might jump at it. this is where it pays off that he has showed interest in taking a qb. hopefully it might scare them into trading up to get cutler.

elite14eva
04-27-2006, 11:06 AM
we need to trade down there's too many holes to fill & not enough picks to do it.

nick1
04-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Minnesota would be a good trade, we wouldn't be trading down barely and we would still be picking up a draft choice

NYFCat
04-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Would we really trade with a division rival?

matty3054
04-27-2006, 11:16 AM
if we trade down, we lose our shot at Donte Whitner, Chad Greenway, Manny Lawson, Jason Allen...just to mention a few

I SAY NO TO TRADING DOWN!!!

DUB
04-27-2006, 11:20 AM
As we saw last year it is very difficult and quite rare to trade picks. However, would be all for it.

elite14eva
04-27-2006, 11:23 AM
As we saw last year it is very difficult and quite rare to trade picks. However, would be all for it.last year was different we were picking at no.2.

ronniethetruck
04-27-2006, 11:23 AM
i guedss im for it but if huff is there at16 along with jackson then i would not do it.

NYinBostonFin
04-27-2006, 11:24 AM
if we trade down, we lose our shot at Donte Whitner, Chad Greenway, Manny Lawson, Jason Allen...just to mention a few

Any one of those guys will be there at 17 if they are there at 16. Minn wants Cutler. If you are talking about trading with the Jets I can see your point.

I would rather get more picks for Saban.....He knows what he is doing, and who knows who may slip through on draft day.

I say Yes to trading down

NYinBostonFin
04-27-2006, 11:26 AM
i guedss im for it but if huff is there at16 along with jackson then i would not do it.

Huff won't be there. If he was, Saban would jump on him.

Mcganiel
04-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Only trade down if its with the Vikings, No jets crap!

HEDAZHELAS24
04-27-2006, 11:56 AM
i know it is stupid to trade with divisional rivals but it would be a nice trade to send the 16th to the jets for the 29th and the 36th?? overall...it is probably going to depend on if cutler or someone they are interested in falls

HEDAZHELAS24
04-27-2006, 11:58 AM
manny lawson could still be there and ive heard Wimbley going has high as to the browns in the first to him being a second rounder...and you know there will be a bunch of secondary players still there....Jason Allen

Miamifin23
04-27-2006, 12:01 PM
If we could swap picks with Minnesota and get a 3rd rounder this year that would be great. Or if the Jets are dying for Cutler, we could trade down and pick up more than just a 3rd.

Minnphin
04-27-2006, 12:05 PM
It'd be a sweet irony if we got a third rounder out of the vikings for one spot in the wake of wannspeil giving them a fourth to move up one spot.

Aqua and Orange
04-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Now I reeeeeeally hope Cutler falls to us, because we would get so much leverage!!!!

fastball83
04-27-2006, 12:13 PM
saban tell us many time, he want build with veteran leadership and draftee, so if the price is right he will trade down and collect more picks for more value, he know what he is doing.

Keep the faith in saban

So.JerseySam
04-27-2006, 12:14 PM
According to the draft-pick value chart used universally by NFL teams, the difference between Miami's 16th pick and Minnesota's 17th pick is 50 points. Those 50 points would translate to an exchange of first-round picks and an additional fourth-round draft pick for Miami.
The difference between No. 16 and New York's No. 29 is 360 points, meaning the right to get ahead of Minnesota and take Cutler could potentially cost the Jets that low first-rounder, a third- and a fourth-round pick.

tylerdolphin
04-27-2006, 12:20 PM
The Vikes may not trade with us if Cutler is there. They will take the gamble on us passing him up.

PhinGeneral
04-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Only trade down if its with the Vikings, No jets crap!

This is a pretty narrow-minded approach. It all depends on what you're trading. Swapping draft picks with division rivals matters a lot less because trading draft picks is done with a value chart.

You don't trade with a division rival if you're looking to get rid of a player whose upside is higher than his market value. For example, Minnesota probably wouldn't have traded Culpepper to a division rival for a 2nd round pick. This approach is the reason Bill Polian traded Marshall Faulk to the Rams instead of the Dolphins even though Miami supposedly had a better offer on the table.

SUPERDUPER85
04-27-2006, 12:26 PM
If we trade down with Minny we'll get back that second round pick for CUlpepper thus we will have gotten C-Pep for free!

duss12
04-27-2006, 12:27 PM
i know it is stupid to trade with divisional rivals but it would be a nice trade to send the 16th to the jets for the 29th and the 36th?? overall...it is probably going to depend on if cutler or someone they are interested in falls

why would they pick cutler at 16 when they select leinart at 4

PhinGeneral
04-27-2006, 12:27 PM
If we trade down with Minny we'll get back that second round pick for CUlpepper thus we will have gotten C-Pep for free!

You're not going to get back a 2nd round pick to trade down 1 spot. The best we'd get is a 4th.

Morpheos
04-27-2006, 12:29 PM
The Vikes may not trade with us if Cutler is there. They will take the gamble on us passing him up.

Actually they would be more apt to do a trade as opposed to losing him to another team that gives us a good trade offer.

elite14eva
04-27-2006, 12:30 PM
they might not take a qb that high.

So.JerseySam
04-27-2006, 12:38 PM

:confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :shakeno:

Moo
04-27-2006, 12:57 PM

We could take Cutler and then trade him to the Vikings, ala the Manning trade.

derek
04-27-2006, 12:58 PM

Depends if another team is trying to jump in front of them.

InSabanWeTrust1
04-27-2006, 02:25 PM
if we trade with minny we still get lawson!

Miamibyrd_24
04-27-2006, 02:28 PM
I agree to the trand down factor, picking up additional pick, and still getting something good from the 1st round.

PhinsTD
04-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Depends if another team is trying to jump in front of them.

Exactly. We could even pick Cutler and play a dangerous game of poker in hopes of another team making a deal before their turn comes up on the clock.

In this draft, unless a stud you want falls, you HAVE to trade down. The reason is that so many players are rated so closely together.

PHINBRED
04-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Nick Mangold

Finascious D
04-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Here's how it will work:
Let's assume, Leinhart & Young are taken in the first 3 picks. The Jets, picking 4th, will not spend that on Cutler. They'd rather spend it on D'Brick or Mario (or a punter, it is the Jets after all). Let's also assume Cutler makes it to our pick 16, we are sitting pretty. This is the point we play the Jets against the Vikings. The Jets will know that Cutler won't make it past the Vikings, so they might be willing to trade with us. The Vikings know the Jets would be willing to trade with us, which would make them willing to trade as well. Either way, if Cutler makes it us, its conceivable that those two teams will be falling over themselves to outdeal each other for our pick. Truly excellent.

RonnieB23
04-27-2006, 03:12 PM
According to the draft-pick value chart used universally by NFL teams, the difference between Miami's 16th pick and Minnesota's 17th pick is 50 points. Those 50 points would translate to an exchange of first-round picks and an additional fourth-round draft pick for Miami.
The difference between No. 16 and New York's No. 29 is 360 points, meaning the right to get ahead of Minnesota and take Cutler could potentially cost the Jets that low first-rounder, a third- and a fourth-round pick.:yeahthat:

#16 = 1 000 pts
#29 + #71 + #103 = 963 Pts

JFoxx
04-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Here's how it will work:
Let's assume, Leinhart & Young are taken in the first 3 picks. The Jets, picking 4th, will not spend that on Cutler. They'd rather spend it on D'Brick or Mario (or a punter, it is the Jets after all). Let's also assume Cutler makes it to our pick 16, we are sitting pretty. This is the point we play the Jets against the Vikings. The Jets will know that Cutler won't make it past the Vikings, so they might be willing to trade with us. The Vikings know the Jets would be willing to trade with us, which would make them willing to trade as well. Either way, if Cutler makes it us, its conceivable that those two teams will be falling over themselves to outdeal each other for our pick. Truly excellent.
Exactly how it will work (if both teams are truly interested in him). Both deals work in our favor. As much as I hate trading with the Jets, if we just move down some in the first and get a decent second, why not. two picks in the top 36 versus one at 16. Or a free 3rd for moving down 1 spot.

FinzFan
04-27-2006, 03:41 PM
Yes, unless there is a real steal at 16, trade down with Minnesota (17) so they can get who they want, knowing that we would take him, or with the Jets (29) -- I think in either situation we get 3 picks in exchange - maybe a 4, 5 and a 7!?

Sorry for posting this here and not in the draft board.

nick1
04-27-2006, 03:45 PM
the way you get by that is we draft Cutler and then force them to trade with us

fin1
04-27-2006, 03:54 PM
Any of you Cutler lovers want to play him twice a year after having the opportunity to draft him? Just something to think about.

Caps
04-27-2006, 03:55 PM
the way you get by that is we draft Cutler and then force them to trade with us

Or let them know that another team is also interested in trading with us for him, forcing them to make a move.

finfan54
04-27-2006, 03:57 PM

Can anyone explain to me why Whitner is better than say, Greg Blue? What is it that determines that these guys who suddenly moved up some boards are better than others? I think there are plenty of Safeties out there that can do the job just fine. Darnell Bing for one. This draft is deep in CB/S.

finfan54
04-27-2006, 03:58 PM
Any of you Cutler lovers want to play him twice a year after having the opportunity to draft him? Just something to think about.

I am only afraid that the Jets take Vince Young. Cutler to me is going to be beatable. His hype will catch up to him.

MarinoForPres
04-27-2006, 03:59 PM
i like it to its not like michael huff will be there

hestar
04-27-2006, 04:51 PM
If Holmes or jackson is there I would want us to take one of them.But if the jets would wanna trade their 29th pick and 2nd rounder for our 16th.I'd be down for that..Prolly not gonna happen but,If we dont get two first day picks in return for our 16th I'd say no to it.

Lee2000
04-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Using their second 1st round pick, among other picks, to get Jay Cutler. Those rumors have been tied to Baltimore among other teams, so it is not unbelieveable that the Jets might trade up with Miami to get Cutler if he is there and it is known Minnesota would like to get him at 17. I want this trade to occur unless a top 10 guy falls (other than Cutler). I would not be shocked to see Saban take Culter and forget about Harrington. But I think Miami will attemtp to get a veteran. I saw a recent assessment of Miami's needs on NFL.com, and they listed wr, ol, and cb. I think a lot of folks are thinking in this manner. I really do believe that the guys on this board have a better picture of what Miami wants than most of the "experts" out there, such as Kiper. Any expert out there that lists nt and lb may be more in line with how Miami is viewing the draft.

Lee2000

Anthony D.
04-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Using their second 1st round pick, among other picks, to get Jay Cutler. Those rumors have been tied to Baltimore among other teams, so it is not unbelieveable that the Jets might trade up with Miami to get Cutler if he is there and it is known Minnesota would like to get him at 17. I want this trade to occur unless a top 10 guy falls (other than Cutler). I would not be shocked to see Saban take Culter and forget about Harrington. But I think Miami will attemtp to get a veteran. I saw a recent assessment of Miami's needs on NFL.com, and they listed wr, ol, and cb. I think a lot of folks are thinking in this manner. I really do believe that the guys on this board have a better picture of what Miami wants than most of the "experts" out there, such as Kiper. Any expert out there that lists nt and lb may be more in line with how Miami is viewing the draft.

Lee2000The Jets and the Vikings.They both think Cutler will be there at #16.

elite14eva
04-27-2006, 04:59 PM
cutler won't make it pass the rams.

Anthony D.
04-27-2006, 05:08 PM
cutler won't make it pass the rams.Well then let the Vikings give us thier #17 and a third round pick for our #16.Then trade our #17 with the Jets for Thier #29 and TWO more picks.

InSabanWeTrust1
04-27-2006, 05:23 PM
this is assuming cutler falls....it could easily go young to tenn, leinart to jets, and cutler to oakland instead of the recent..leinart to tenn young to oakland and cutler dropping to us. IF cutler doesnt fall, we still have leverage b/c teams like the chargers and giants might be willing to trade up for chad jackson or holmes if they are there. the chargers need a wr first round desperately b/c rivers only options are gates and LT (mccardel doesnt count) there wrs are crap. if we trade down to pick 17-23 we will still have our pick of lawson, greenway. ALL TEH CORNERBACKS AND SAFETIES AFTER HUFF ARE RANKED THE SAME!!! allen, cromartie, williams , hill, whitner they are all ranked the same so if we trade down to late 1st some of them will def be there

elite14eva
04-27-2006, 05:26 PM
personally i don't think cutler will fall that far.

InSabanWeTrust1
04-27-2006, 05:27 PM
me neither. but im really hoping jackson,ngata do and someone wants one of them badly

elite14eva
04-27-2006, 05:37 PM
out of all the teams someone has to want to trade with us i hope.

DolfanChris06
04-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Look i see it like this
Bush
Williams
Young
DBrickashaw
Aj Hawk-GB
Vernon Davis-SF
Matt Leinhart-OAK
WInston Justice-Buff
Michael Huff-DET
Haloti Ngata-Car
Jay Cutler-STL
Brodrick Bunkley-Baltimore
Chad Greenway-Phi
CHad Jackson-Denver
Manny lawson/sanantonio holmes
Trade with Jets Kameron WImbley for their 29th and 36 picks
Donte Whitner-DALLAS
whoever the fins dont take with their first-SD Sanantonio/Manny
Jimmy WIlliams-KC
Bobby Carpenter-NE
Dengelo Williams- Denver
sinorice Moss- TB
Tye Hill- Cin
Nick Mangold-NYG
Jonathan Joseph-Chicago
Lawerence Maroney- Carolina
Thomas Howard- Jax
Demeco Ryans-Minn
Lendale white-Ind
Jason Alllen-Seattle
Tamba Hali- pittsbrgh

elite14eva
04-27-2006, 06:16 PM
it would be nice if it ended up that way.

J Tes
04-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Here's how it will work:
NO shot Cutler falls to 16. NONE. Arizona is said to be leaning toward taking him at 10, and if for some reason they don't, ST.Louis will at 11. And if for some strange reason they both pass, there are 4 teams after them, that are still picking before Miami, and they all would field offers as well. Miami's best shot at trading down is with Carolina ( if D. Williams is still on the board) Pitt. and Seattle. All three of those teams don't have many holes, therefor not needing as many picks as other teams. If a player they covet is on the board, and they think that player can get them over the hump, then maybe we can work out a deal. K.C. is also possible. They are said to be high on Wimbley,so lets hope he falls. They could settle( not really) on Lawson, but Minnesota could go defense with there pick, so if one of them is gone, K.C. might get nervous and try and move up to secure one of them. This draft is definatly going to be interesting, so lets hope that some unexpected starts to fall and we can do what we all want to do and move down. If not maybe we get someone we didnt expect to be there.

Lee2000
04-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Maybe it is because I am a Georgia graduate (I do like Crowder), but I just don't trust Jackson as a first round pick. He was viewed as no better than a 2nd round pick before the combine. I am not a huge fan of the combine. I just do not want Jackson.

Lee2000

PhinGeneral
04-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Well then let the Vikings give us thier #17 and a third round pick for our #16.Then trade our #17 with the Jets for Thier #29 and TWO more picks.

If Cutler doesn't make it past the Rams, then the Jets will probably not trade up.

PhinGeneral
04-27-2006, 09:16 PM
NO shot Cutler falls to 16. NONE. Arizona is said to be leaning toward taking him at 10, and if for some reason they don't, ST.Louis will at 11. And if for some strange reason they both pass, there are 4 teams after them, that are still picking before Miami, and they all would field offers as well. Miami's best shot at trading down is with Carolina ( if D. Williams is still on the board) Pitt. and Seattle. All three of those teams don't have many holes, therefor not needing as many picks as other teams. If a player they covet is on the board, and they think that player can get them over the hump, then maybe we can work out a deal. K.C. is also possible. They are said to be high on Wimbley,so lets hope he falls. They could settle( not really) on Lawson, but Minnesota could go defense with there pick, so if one of them is gone, K.C. might get nervous and try and move up to secure one of them. This draft is definatly going to be interesting, so lets hope that some unexpected starts to fall and we can do what we all want to do and move down. If not maybe we get someone we didnt expect to be there.

While I agree that the chance of Cutler slipping to 16 isn't very good, I wouldn't go so far as to say there's no chance. Just because there's 4 teams between 11 and us doesn't necessarily mean any of them would want to move down, especially since there's probably a talent drop-off before the #29 pick. And if a team wants to trade up, like the Jets might, they would probably attempt to wait until there's a team (like Minnesota) that may take Cutler. They may like Jay, but it would cost a little more to go to 12 than it would 16, and I don't think they're so infatuated with Cutler that they'd give up more than they had to in order to get him.

PhinGeneral
04-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Maybe it is because I am a Georgia graduate (I do like Crowder), but I just don't trust Jackson as a first round pick. He was viewed as no better than a 2nd round pick before the combine. I am not a huge fan of the combine. I just do not want Jackson.

Lee2000

Amen to that. Unlike a lot of people on this board I don't grow infatuated with combine results. I just don't see him being that good either.