PDA

View Full Version : What's the best game system for it's time ?

Scrap
04-28-2006, 01:40 PM
I'll either go with Atari 2600, or Super NES.

mor911
04-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Super Nintendo, hands down. It was the last great home console that Nintendo had. Hell, half of the Nintendo fanboy base are only Nintendo fans because they're still stuck in the days when Nintendo was cool and Mario spin-offs weren't the only games available.

Mindwarp
04-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Super Nintendo I think has to have the edge of everything. Especially when they came out with super Donkey Kong

byroan
04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
SNES, probably the system I spent the most time playing. The RPG's for it were awesome.

Majpain
04-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Snes.

mor911
04-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Super Nintendo I think has to have the edge of everything. Especially when they came out with super Donkey Kong
The Mor liked Super Walter Kong too :sidelol:

Medieval954
04-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Super Nintendo, with the Playstation 2 a close 2nd.

"16-bit" era was definitely the golden age of home consoles. I have many good memories of my Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis days. :)

mor911
04-28-2006, 02:56 PM
I guess it depends on your age group. For me, the Playstation and Playstation 2 will never touch the excitement of getting a new SNES game. Remembver when toy first saw Super Mario World, Link to the Past, or Super Metroid in Motion? Remember when you first saw Mario Kart? Remember when you found out Golbez was your brother in FF4? C'mon people.

With PS2 it's more like... GTA is cool. MGS 2 & 3 was good. FFX was cool. There was never an OMG experience liuke we used to get when we were kids. To me ofcourse. But then again, The Mor's 25. Someone that's 17 will have a completely different take.

Medieval954
04-28-2006, 03:05 PM
I guess it depends on your age group. For me, the Playstation and Playstation 2 will never touch the excitement of getting a new SNES game. Remembver when toy first saw Super Mario World, Link to the Past, or Super Metroid in Motion? Remember when you first saw Mario Kart? Remember when you found out Golbez was your brother in FF4? C'mon people.

With PS2 it's more like... GTA is cool. MGS 2 & 3 was good. FFX was cool. There was never an OMG experience liuke we used to get when we were kids. To me ofcourse. But then again, The Mor's 25. Someone that's 17 will have a completely different take.
Yeah, I guess it does depend on the age group. I'm 30, so I remember vividly going all the way back to when we had an Atari 2600 in the house. But for someone who is still in their teens, I think the PS2 is that generation's Super Nintendo, so I think when they hit our age, they'll look back on it the same way we do at the Super Nintendo.

UltraDol-Fan
04-28-2006, 04:29 PM
I spent many hours playing NBA Jam on SNES, that system owned

Link
04-28-2006, 04:33 PM
SNES was great, but I will have to go with the Nintendo 64. Reason: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Super Mario 64, DK 64, Star Fox 64 and the list of amazing games goes on. In my opinion The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is the best game ever made.

mor911
04-28-2006, 04:40 PM
The N64 got stomped on (in every way shape and form) by the PS1. Mario 64 and Ocarina of time were good. FF7,8, and 9 were better. StarFox was good, WarHawk was better. The only real killer app on the 64 was Golden Eye IMO. Not to mention when the 3/4 of the game libray ends with "64" it makes me want to puke. If nintendo would have just not been dumb and stayed with Sony, they might be the Market leaders right now.

byroan
04-28-2006, 04:42 PM
Golden Eye was awesome. I liked perfect dark as well.

UltraDol-Fan
04-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Golden Eye = Best.Game.Ever.Period

Medieval954
04-28-2006, 05:21 PM
The N64 got stomped on (in every way shape and form) by the PS1. Mario 64 and Ocarina of time were good. FF7,8, and 9 were better. StarFox was good, WarHawk was better. The only real killer app on the 64 was Golden Eye IMO. Not to mention when the 3/4 of the game libray ends with "64" it makes me want to puke. If nintendo would have just not been dumb and stayed with Sony, they might be the Market leaders right now.

Those are fightin words! :ko:

Not sure about this "stomped on" thing, but I think Playstation had a better variety of games than the Nintendo 64, which lead to it's unexpected win in the "32/64-bit" era. Though I do think the quality of Nintendo 64's best offerings did top the quality of the Playstation's best offerings (in my opinion), the sheer quantity of good Playstation games sold everyone on it. Nintendo burned a lot of bridges back then which lead to meager 3rd party support which were all to happy to go to Sony and make games on their system. There was more "bang for the buck" buying a Playstation.

Also, not sure why tacking on "64" to the end of game titles bothered you if tacking on "Super" to the front of game titles during the Super Nintendo days didn't. :huh:

And yes, Goldeneye was awesome. I hope it is offered on Nintendo's Virtual Console on the Wii. :booyeah:

mor911
04-28-2006, 05:31 PM
I still have my N64, and i can't play Goldeneye anymore. The mechanics don't work anymore. It's one of those "Legendary for it's time" games.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my N64, but I'd much rather have a PS1 than an N64 with the 5 games that actually were good.

And yes, tacking "Super" on the front of every SNES game was extremely corny, but it was the first time it had been done so Nintendo got away with it. Who knew they'd become addicted to trying to name games after the console... Wait, I can see it now. Punch-Out Wii, StarFox Wii, Zelda Wii, Super Mario Wii, Mario bowling Wii, Mario Golf Wii, Mario Tennis Wii, Mario Soccer Wii, Mario <insert your favorite spin-off here> Wii...

Shula Come Back!
04-28-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm not sure what the best is, but the old NES has to be the most popular...Every person in the world has had at least two...of course that's because it broke so easily....but everyone had one...come on, even your grandmother had one at her house just for when you visit!

Medieval954
04-28-2006, 05:41 PM
I still have my N64, and i can't play Goldeneye anymore. The mechanics don't work anymore. It's one of those "Legendary for it's time" games.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my N64, but I'd much rather have a PS1 than an N64 with the 5 games that actually were good.

And yes, tacking "Super" on the front of every SNES game was extremely corny, but it was the first time it had been done so Nintendo got away with it. Who knew they'd become addicted to trying to name games after the console... Wait, I can see it now. Punch-Out Wii, StarFox Wii, Zelda Wii, Super Mario Wii, Mario bowling Wii, Mario Golf Wii, Mario Tennis Wii, Mario Soccer Wii, Mario <insert your favorite spin-off here> Wii...

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/04/ss120Michelle20Wie204-1.jpg
"OMG, those would be cool names for games!"

Seriously though, yeah, they dropped that habit on the GameCube, though it has re-appeared sparingly on the DS. But I agree, they should avoid using "Wii" if possible as a prefix or suffix to game titles.

nevadadolfan
04-28-2006, 09:15 PM
I think it all depends on how old you are. When you are like 8-16 those are the most influential times in your life (console wise!!!) and what ever system is hot at that time you are going to be partial to, IMO. I mean you could always break down the numbers and determine which system made the biggest jump in technology and graphics, or which one sold to most games in its first year. But which sytem was the best for its time, I dont know, they are all great...For their time!! minus dreamcast (horrible timing). Myself Im 26 and I love the original NES, I mean come on super mario bros AND duck hunt on one cartridge, cant beat that!!!

DwayneWade
04-28-2006, 09:43 PM
my FAVORITE system of all time.. i dont think anyone even mentioned it.. the SEGA DREAMCAST! damn how i love that system and marvel vs campcom 2, shenmue, sonic, power stone.. too many great games!

Dolfan984
04-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Mario 64 and Ocarina of time were good. FF7,8, and 9 were better.

End of discussion when talking about PS1 vs N64

IMO it's a tie between PS1 and SNES. I remember being pretty stoked about FF7 coming out more than any game I remember. SNES did rock. Mario RPG owns your soul.

VanDolPhan
04-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Atari, Nintendo, Turbo Graphics 16, Sega Genesis, Playstation 1, XBox.

That was my run of systems. Leaning towards getting the xbox 360 as it looks like I wouldn't be able to get my hands on a PS3 until probably this time next year due.

TrueDolFan
05-01-2006, 10:15 AM
[quote=nevadadolfan]I think it all depends on how old you are.quote]

I think you hit the nail on the head. Most of the guys posting on here are a little too young to remember the glory days of the NES. Me, being nearly 30, I put my vote firmly on the NES. The Legend of Zelda, Super Mario Bros. (1,2,& 3), Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!, Contra, Mega Man 2, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, The Guardian Legend... I could go on and on.
I rest my case.

Dolfan11
05-01-2006, 09:33 PM

I would go with NES/Playstaion 2. Maybe it's my age, but both for me have brought me the most enjoyment in gaming. The only really OMG experience I ever got on PS2 was God of War, and Madden.

dQbell
05-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Intellivision started it all for me. It ran along side the 2600/5200 era and in my opinion far surpassed both.

HysterikiLL
05-02-2006, 05:02 AM
I liked the Nintendo 64. I was never a PS fan until the PS2 came out but I used to play WCW on Nintendo 64 a lot. That game was so gangsta.

My first console ever was the Sega Mega Drive with built in Alex The Kid :yes:.

zach13
05-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Intellivision started it all for me. It ran along side the 2600/5200 era and in my opinion far surpassed both.

Stole my thunder. Intellivision kicked butt.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-07-2006, 02:26 AM
SNES has the best good game to bad game ratio for any system ever.

Bruzer
05-07-2006, 08:30 AM
I would agree snes.

I was a nintendo 64 person. I loved zelda and I haven't found a game I liked more yet. I never liked FF series and still don't I also don't like halo. I got a different taste than most people. I had a playstation late in its life but thats when I played metal gear solid and hooked me on playstation.

Mike13
05-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm not sure what the best is, but the old NES has to be the most popular...Every person in the world has had at least two...of course that's because it broke so easily....but everyone had one...come on, even your grandmother had one at her house just for when you visit!

It broke easily? Maybe this is the exception but my NESs still runs like its new.