PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't the DNC calling for James P. Moran's head?

PhinPhan1227
03-13-2003, 11:38 AM
They rose up en-mass to call for Trent Lotts resignation(as they and others should have) after Lott made racist comments, but have been either silent or defensive of racist comments made by Senator Moran. Sounds a bit disingenuous to me. While I'm sure that his remarks stem more from ignorance than true racist feelings, I'm sure the same can probably be said of Trent Lott. What I find interesting is that the DNC apparently felt that Lott was a disgrace to the office of Senator for his comments, but that Moran's merely warrant an apology.

In his self defense Moran made this comment....

“I’m insufficiently cautious in the way I express myself,” said Moran, the former mayor of Alexandria, Va. “I tend to be too blunt and too graceless.”

So basically, I stand by everything I've said, I just said it too bluntly.

"Among the lawmaker’s actions in recent years that have prompted Jewish fury:

• On the eve of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon’s visit to Washington in June 2001, Moran told a national convention of the American Muslim Council that the Israeli leader was “probably seeking a warrant from President Bush to kill at will with weapons we have paid for”;

• In 2001, the lawmaker was also forced to return $2,000 in political campaign contributions from Abdulrahman Alamoudi, the former executive director of the American Muslim Council, because of remarks Alamoudi made in support of Palestinian terrorist groups;

• In 1994, Moran told the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee that the killing of 29 Muslims by an Israeli doctor, Baruch Goldstein, was “not committed by a lone individual but collective acts of complicity in a pervasive injustice.”

In the latest controversy, Moran told a town hall meeting with constituents March 3, “If it were not for the strong support of the Jewish community for this war with Iraq, we would not be doing this,” according to the Virginia-area Connection newspapers."

Excerpts from JTA

http://www.jta.org/page_view_story.asp?strwebhead=Lawmaker%3A+Jews+will+oppose+me&intcategoryid=3

LeftCoastPhin
03-13-2003, 01:06 PM
I dont see how that is racist and even though I may not agree with what he said, I dont find fault with it. Our society has gotten pretty sensitive.

PhinPhan1227
03-13-2003, 01:15 PM
You don't see blaming the war with Iraq on Jews as being racist? You've just lumped a group of people together and said that they're trying to send US troops off to die for their own personal reasons. If I was a Jew(which I am to some extent...at least the Jews think so..:)), I'd be about as offended as I was by Trent Lotts comments.

LeftCoastPhin
03-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Well, the fact of the matter is the Jewish Lobbyists probably have more effect on our middle east policy than any other group. But that's cool, we SHOULD protect Israel. This is the root of a lot of conflicts, but are we suppose to turn our back on Israel? Of course not.

He exaggerated a lot but there is truth to what he said.

PhinPhan1227
03-13-2003, 01:31 PM
Lol...and an argument could be made for Trent Lotts comments as well. But the heart of the matter is that if the comments were made by a Republican, the DNC would have fallen all over themselves, and NBC would be running 3 segments a night discussing peoples reactions to such "inflamatory" comments. But becuase he's a Democrat he gets a pass. Hypocracy.

LeftCoastPhin
03-13-2003, 01:35 PM
Ahhhhh, well I can't speak intelligently on which party gets a pass, I dont pay close enough attention to it. But what you're saying makes sense, as the media always seems to pick a side and never represent things equal.

iceblizzard69
03-13-2003, 05:19 PM
I don't know what this guy is talking about. I know a lot of Jews who are against this war and I know like one who supports it.

PhinPhan1227
03-13-2003, 05:39 PM
Actually, there are a few, especially ones who are concerned about Israel. But that just highlights the point that it was a racist comment.

iceblizzard69
03-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Also, that site seems to try to link support for Palestinians as being anti-semetic, which it isn't.

Also, I think that site is total bull****, this is part of their article:

“Moran’s empathy for people who are suffering has expressed itself as antagonism for the state of Israel and the people of Israel,” said Moline, who led the call for Moran’s resignation this week.

Yeah, that may be true, but Palestinians are mostly in poverty and they are a lot worse of right now, and more of their innocents are being killed (triple the amount).

Moran may be anti-Semetic, but that article is trying to make people pro-Israeli as well, and it is biased (well, it is a Jewish website and the article deals with anti-Semetism, so I don't blame them). However, I think you could find a more accurate article from a newsource like Reuters or the AP. If Moran is anti-Semetic, then shame on him, but linking anti-Semetism with being pro-Palestinian is wrong.

PhinPhan1227
03-13-2003, 06:17 PM
While one does not automatically equate with the other, there certainly are a large number of people who support the Palestinians because of anti-semitic feelings. There are other articles on the issue, but that one had the most background information in one source.

iceblizzard69
03-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
While one does not automatically equate with the other, there certainly are a large number of people who support the Palestinians because of anti-semitic feelings. There are other articles on the issue, but that one had the most background information in one source.

Ok. I am in the middle, I think both should live side by side, but people like to say I am pro-Palestinian because I say the occupation must end, they are way worse off, more in poverty, and Israel soldiers kill triple the amount of them (innocent ones) then Palestinian terrorists kill innocent Israelis.

I personally know a few pro-Palestinian people and they aren't anti-Semetic. I am personally very far from being anti-Semetic, but I don't like Israel, and I HATE their radical leader.

Ok, back to this congressman....