PDA

View Full Version : UDFA Gerald Riggs Jr.

SKing29
05-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Well I've said it on here but I am a Tennesee Vols fan and I have seen Riggs play and he could pay great dividends on this team. Actually, at the beginning of last year some "experts" on ESPN were saying that he would be a Heisman finalist. If anyone remembers the 2004 SEC championship game, the kid was dominant running over the Auburn Defense and although the Vols lost he helped keep it close and if not for one of his 50+ yard runs being called back on a hold the Vols would've probably won the game. He did well last year until he got injured and thats why I think he went undrafted because of his injury problems, but I think because of his size he could be a pounding third down back like a TJ Duckett or maybe if he stays healthy in a few years be a sort of split back with Ronnie (not as much as Ricky was, but he would basically be a TJ Duckett). So I think Saban made a great pickup with Riggs and if he stays healthy he could do nice things for this team. Only time will tell.

COMEBACKRICKY
05-01-2006, 09:24 PM
lol yeah i was about to post a thread but saw yours. i think this guy is a very good pickup for us, he does remind me most of tj duckett. but i cant understand why he fell off at the end of the season last year? was it an injury? anywho, there are sites that say this guy might be better at the pro level then college, which is one of the few times they actually say that. and hes an "impact player" in ncaa so youve got to think there is some talent there. lol dont make fun of me cuz i use a game for referance.

***TBS kicks A@@!!! did you like the new cd? im not sure if i like it as much as their other stuff.....

finfanlover
05-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Do you guys think that Gerald Riggs Jr will make the final roster?

Silverphin
05-01-2006, 09:54 PM

He had competition. Kay-Jay is definitely not going to rollover him, so you can only imagine what the other two backs (Travis and Sammy) are going to react.

swampfox
05-01-2006, 10:06 PM
I think it depends on how he does on special teams. I think he has a shot of replacing Minor if he works out there.

COMEBACKRICKY
05-01-2006, 10:10 PM
i think he will impress

finfanlover
05-01-2006, 10:19 PM
I really liked him in college before he was injured, in the preaseason he was considered a heisman trophy candidate.

dlockz
05-01-2006, 10:48 PM

I think he will become our # 2 back sometimes this year.

uga3406
05-01-2006, 11:16 PM
can u guys give me some stats on him last year..and size wgt etc just curious...sounds like we might have ourself a goaline back the way he is being described

SKing29
05-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Ok, here are some stats about Gerald Riggs Jr. now keep in mind he only started his junior and senior years (which he missed about half of due to injury the senior year that is). Also he did do split back time in both his junior and senior years, as well as his sophmore and freshman so he is accustomed to sharing the ball. Also I just want to tell some more of his stats in the 2004 SEC Championship game, ok he had 182 yards and 2 touchdowns in this game, and had one 80 yard run and had a 70 yard run called back on a hold, so if he could've claimed that run he would have had an 252 yard 3 TD game (by the way the hold was wishy washy) now my second link has a site where you can go read the stats for Riggs at the 2004 SEC Championship game just scroll down to the Tennessee stats Riggs was very successful, but its mostly to back up my Gerald Riggs Jr. claims. Also my third link is showing that he was a 2005 Heisman candidate at the first of the 2005 year according to Yahoo Sports he was their number 5 choice. Ok here are the links, and please forgive me if they don't work because this is my first time posting a link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=134618

http://utsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2004-2005/ut12.html#GAME.IND

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=tb-handicappingtheheisman082205&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

PhinsTD
05-02-2006, 02:33 PM
I don't think Riggs makes the final roster. He's a one dimensional player coming off of injury. He lacks an elite burst, doesn't play as fast as his average 40 time, is a poor receiver and is not an accomplished blocker.

His only value is as a runner. Due to the fact that we have several RB's who are pretty good runners and offer value elsewhere as well, he'll get cut IMO. He isn't as good at ST's as Morris, Minor or Kay-Jay (who may grow into an elite ST's player).

tucker
05-02-2006, 03:08 PM
he'll be cut

wonderl33t
05-02-2006, 03:25 PM
http://www.s145155919.onlinehome.us/vols/fulmer/2005/video/09/riggs_spotlight.wmv

dominizzo
05-02-2006, 08:25 PM
KJ will get the nod over Riggs