PDA

View Full Version : Drink companies pulling sodas out of schools

BAMAPHIN 22
05-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Companies agree only to sell water, juice, milk and diet soda

The nation's largest beverage distributors have agreed to halt nearly all soda sales to public schools, according to a deal announced Wednesday by the William J. Clinton Foundation.

Under the agreement, the companies have agreed to sell only water, unsweetened juice and low-fat milks to elementary and middle schools, said Jay Carson, a spokesman for former President Bill Clinton. Diet sodas would be sold only to high schools.

Cadbury Schweppes PLC, Coca-Cola Co., PepsiCo Inc. and the American Beverage Association have all signed onto the deal, Carson said, adding that the companies serve "the vast majority of schools." The American Beverage Association represents the majority of school vending bottlers.

The deal follows a wave of regulation by school districts and state legislatures to cut back on student consumption of soda amid reports of rising childhood obesity rates. Soda has been a particular target of those fighting obesity because of its caloric content and popularity among children.

"It's a bold and sweeping step that industry and childhood obesity advocates have decided to take together," Carson said.

A man who answered the phone at Cadbury Schweppes' London headquarters said no one was available for comment. Calls seeking comment from the other distributors were not immediately returned early Wednesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/diet.fitness/05/03/softdrinks.schools.ap/index.html

Buddwalk
05-03-2006, 12:24 PM
we havnt had sodas in our schools for over 2 years now

Noodle Arm
05-03-2006, 12:29 PM
I graduated at the right time. Sodas in school....no such thing as FCAT (those here in FL. know what I'm talking about)...could leave school property during lunch breaks (those trips to BK were fun!)...very few "wanna-be-ghetto" kids. Ahhh the good ol' days :cry:

Mephistopheles
05-03-2006, 12:48 PM
When I was there, we were not allowed to leave school grounds during lunch hours. There was a Taco Bell, Burger King, McDonalds, KFC, Wendys, and Miami Subs right by the school.

:fire:

Bobby Humphrey
05-03-2006, 01:03 PM
When I was in school they built a fence to keep us in. fortunately for us they only built the fence with 2 sides to it.

miamikid92
05-03-2006, 03:24 PM
i've never had soda in my school before

UltraDol-Fan
05-03-2006, 03:39 PM
in 1997 my school signed a contract with Coca-Cola to only sell their products, then used the money for astro turf. Idiots

Finfan8
05-03-2006, 05:39 PM
thats g@y

AquaInferno
05-03-2006, 06:04 PM
i've never had soda in my school before
Nor will you ever, they're usually in the HS only, and by the time you get there health nuts will have taken over the world.

Samphin
05-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Smart move PR wise for the soda manufacturers. It makes them look concerned about today's youth and their health. Meanwhile, they are still lining their pockets with the waters and juices they are selling at the schools.

Silverphin
05-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Thank god I'm class of '06.

MARINO1384
05-03-2006, 08:19 PM
That's stupid it's not going to help with obesity. Kids will just go home and put twice as much junk in thier body.That diet soda is worse for you.......who knows what the heck kind of chemicals are in there.

Jimi
05-03-2006, 09:20 PM
My high school still has em so i dont care.

Roman529
05-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Next they should pull the tacos, pizza, and greasy stuff off the menu and serve more fruit and veggies. Then there should be a one hour manditory PE class for all the students.

miamikid92
05-03-2006, 09:29 PM
Nor will you ever, they're usually in the HS only, and by the time you get there health nuts will have taken over the world.:mad: