PDA

View Full Version : Ahmad Brooks

FerrisBueller
05-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Does anybody know any news about this guy? Is he going to be in the supplemental draft this year?? And would you consider spending a future pick on him? I like him, I think he could be a beast at ILB or OLB...

Montella
05-03-2006, 01:32 PM
i don't know anything new, but i think that he will declare fot the supplemental draft and i hope that we can get him with a 3rd or 4th round pick, he is a great talent and deserves a chance, now that i read so much about him, i really hope he ends up with us, he can play all lb positions and has very good speed and makes plays all over the field...

MiamiDolphins34
05-03-2006, 01:47 PM
I hope we get him we need more playmakers at LB.

icephinfan
05-03-2006, 03:43 PM
i don't know anything new, but i think that he will declare fot the supplemental draft and i hope that we can get him with a 3rd or 4th round pick, he is a great talent and deserves a chance, now that i read so much about him, i really hope he ends up with us, he can play all lb positions and has very good speed and makes plays all over the field...

Yeah no doubt, I hear good things on this guy as far as a football player, as far as draft picks,A high pick, let's just say I hope we get him like Wright with a 5th pick.

miadfins
05-05-2006, 08:29 PM
i would consider spending a 2nd rounder on him. he can really fill the olb holes for years

Dors156
05-05-2006, 10:43 PM
i would only give up a third for him.im kind of sick of us giving up our second:lol:

Boomer
05-06-2006, 06:45 PM
We were discussing Ahmad in the VIP. I was asked whether I thought Nick would spend a 1 or a 2 on him.

"I don't know and as I won't be part of the evaluation process, then it's impossible to say.

But I would want answers on the following:

* How is the weight issue?
Brooks has ballooned weight at times, especially last year. Can he keep that under control? What is the reason for that? He allegedly only did 3 weeks of work pre-season last year. Why?

* How are the injuries?
As a junior he struggled mighitly with knee, ankle and back problems. You'd want the most stringent tests possible to make sure he was OK. The right knee specifically, after that bone growth regeneration and the cyst removal.

* How is he mentally?
The REAL story has yet to come out with regards his indiscretions. Drugs and disappearing for days on end only to return with no excuse or reason as to where he was, are what's been mentioned, but I suspect there's much more to it than that. Just how much more? That's what I'd want to know. He WAS charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession in 2003 and received six months probation, and the charge was later dropped. But what else?

Then in August '04, he then missed two practices to deal with "personal issues," and spent the preseason and the first game as a backup to Rich Bedesem, for reasons the University has never explained. One Virginia reporter said: "one former U.Va. defensive starter said Brooks always seemed to be dealing with a personal issue, but Groh kept the issues private."

There were strong rumours about his commitment level and his lack of conditioning, as I mentioned. As the same Virginia reporter said: "No one would just dismiss a player from a team for just one incident. For coach Groh to make such a harsh decision, it had to come from a lot of different events."

But that risk/reward that I mentioned.......wow. USA Today Defensive Player of the Year in high school, Butkus Finalist as a SOPHOMORE, the ability to play MLB, WLB and SLB in a 4-3 and a 3-4 as a three down defender. I liked Daryl Blackstock as a very good linebacker coming out last year, but every time I tried to grade him, I was just blown away by Brooks. Just a phenomenal player. 6-4, 258, alleged 4.47 speed (that's college ranking sped, but even then you're looking at 4.67), can make plays on the perimeter, works off blocks, works through trash, gets really good depth on his drops, can blitz off the edge - I've seen him line up as a defensive end at times - can cover a back or a TE and just has an inate ability to be around the ball. I remember seeing him as a freshman against Florida and he was absolutely staggering. Aggressive, about 12 tackles, guy was everywhere. And then watched the Bowl game against Pitt to get my last look at Larry Fitzgerald, he had a sack, a pick, he was flying all over the place.....you just can't quantify talent like that, instinct like that. And I tell you what else he does....he intimidates. He has THAT ability to take over a game because of his sheer prescence, the way Ray Lewis could at the very height of his talent.

No word of a lie, people complained because he was almost TOO athletic for the Cavs because he WANTED to make every play, make every tackle, as well as doing his own job, which he did anyway.

Like I said, if I got that straightened out and was absolutely convinced of his personality and his health and his commitment, then you'd be left with a very difficult decision."

Dors156
05-06-2006, 08:15 PM
We were discussing Ahmad in the VIP. I was asked whether I thought Nick would spend a 1 or a 2 on him.

"I don't know and as I won't be part of the evaluation process, then it's impossible to say.

But I would want answers on the following:

* How is the weight issue?
Brooks has ballooned weight at times, especially last year. Can he keep that under control? What is the reason for that? He allegedly only did 3 weeks of work pre-season last year. Why?

* How are the injuries?
As a junior he struggled mighitly with knee, ankle and back problems. You'd want the most stringent tests possible to make sure he was OK. The right knee specifically, after that bone growth regeneration and the cyst removal.

* How is he mentally?
The REAL story has yet to come out with regards his indiscretions. Drugs and disappearing for days on end only to return with no excuse or reason as to where he was, are what's been mentioned, but I suspect there's much more to it than that. Just how much more? That's what I'd want to know. He WAS charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession in 2003 and received six months probation, and the charge was later dropped. But what else?

Then in August '04, he then missed two practices to deal with "personal issues," and spent the preseason and the first game as a backup to Rich Bedesem, for reasons the University has never explained. One Virginia reporter said: "one former U.Va. defensive starter said Brooks always seemed to be dealing with a personal issue, but Groh kept the issues private."

There were strong rumours about his commitment level and his lack of conditioning, as I mentioned. As the same Virginia reporter said: "No one would just dismiss a player from a team for just one incident. For coach Groh to make such a harsh decision, it had to come from a lot of different events."

But that risk/reward that I mentioned.......wow. USA Today Defensive Player of the Year in high school, Butkus Finalist as a SOPHOMORE, the ability to play MLB, WLB and SLB in a 4-3 and a 3-4 as a three down defender. I liked Daryl Blackstock as a very good linebacker coming out last year, but every time I tried to grade him, I was just blown away by Brooks. Just a phenomenal player. 6-4, 258, alleged 4.47 speed (that's college ranking sped, but even then you're looking at 4.67), can make plays on the perimeter, works off blocks, works through trash, gets really good depth on his drops, can blitz off the edge - I've seen him line up as a defensive end at times - can cover a back or a TE and just has an inate ability to be around the ball. I remember seeing him as a freshman against Florida and he was absolutely staggering. Aggressive, about 12 tackles, guy was everywhere. And then watched the Bowl game against Pitt to get my last look at Larry Fitzgerald, he had a sack, a pick, he was flying all over the place.....you just can't quantify talent like that, instinct like that. And I tell you what else he does....he intimidates. He has THAT ability to take over a game because of his sheer prescence, the way Ray Lewis could at the very height of his talent.

No word of a lie, people complained because he was almost TOO athletic for the Cavs because he WANTED to make every play, make every tackle, as well as doing his own job, which he did anyway.

Like I said, if I got that straightened out and was absolutely convinced of his personality and his health and his commitment, then you'd be left with a very difficult decision."

from what you said about his concerns and good values id give up a third for him or maybe a second

HysterikiLL
05-06-2006, 08:55 PM
I'd give up a second for him. This guy is incredible.

PhinsTD
05-06-2006, 11:28 PM
I honestly think it would take at least a second to get him. He has a ton of injury and personal problems though (as Boomer has already detailed better than I could have).

Dolfan2788
05-07-2006, 02:41 AM
I'd give up a second, considering that we are going to have a good season I think we should take the risk and give up our 2nd rounder for him now.

I don't see us getting that type of player in the second round with a #60-70 pick.

bullseyeguy
05-07-2006, 03:28 AM
I hope we could and would get him for a 2nd, but there are 15 other teams out there who could be thinking the same thing...Im sure soemone will take him with a second, unless there is a real issue that scares teams off....

Phinsfan1980
05-07-2006, 04:04 AM
I think a 2nd is too high... I would say a third at the very highest

PhinsTD
05-07-2006, 04:17 AM
I think a 2nd is too high... I would say a third at the very highest

Basically the team will have to make that decision as to whether or not it's worth the risk, because I doubt you get him in the 3rd.

He has too much talent to fall that far for a pick that isn't this year, yet you get to use him this year.

unifiedtheory
05-07-2006, 01:45 PM
With Brooks' issues I'd give up a 5th...and no higher. Let someone else overpay for the guy.

If he turns into what he could and should be and someone else gives up a higher pick then we can say "can't win 'em all" but if he turns into a mega-headache we'll be glad we missed on him.

I'm torn on this. I like Jimmy Johnson's idea of "you can take the big risk and win big or you can play it safe". The one thing I do want to see is Saban going into a draft with our full allotment of picks.

Mike13
05-07-2006, 02:26 PM
God damnit! Am I the only one here who is tired of giving up draft picks?

unifiedtheory
05-07-2006, 03:40 PM

If we acquire players for said draft picks we are not "giving them up".

Caps
05-07-2006, 04:00 PM
I really want to get him, but I'd have to see some workouts before I decide what's worth giving up for him. When is the Supp. Draft this year anyway?

Boomer
05-07-2006, 05:36 PM
Last year's was mid July. You'd be better served getting your hands on game film rather than workout tape.

Caps
05-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Last year's was mid July. You'd be better served getting your hands on game film rather than workout tape.
I've seen him play about 3 times and I'm very impressed with his ability. I only want to see some workouts(recent ones) because I've heard he's had issues with his weight and his health and I want to see how he looks as of right now.

Alex44
05-07-2006, 06:49 PM

Technically we are drafting a player...thats kinda what you do with the picks

Mike13
05-07-2006, 10:18 PM
I would like a full set of draft picks for next year, thats all I want to see.

Ferretsquig
05-07-2006, 10:43 PM
I highly doubt anyone gives up a first day pick for the guy. Its a similar situation to that of Hollings a few years ago, when the Texans blew a second rounder. I really think that made teams leery of drafting these incredibly athletic idiots who cant seem to find a way to stay on the football field.

Boomer
05-08-2006, 02:59 AM
I highly doubt anyone gives up a first day pick for the guy. Its a similar situation to that of Hollings a few years ago, when the Texans blew a second rounder. I really think that made teams leery of drafting these incredibly athletic idiots who cant seem to find a way to stay on the football field.

I'm sorry, but in no way shape or form does the drafting of Tony Hollings compare with the skill set of Ahmad Brooks.

Minibull
05-08-2006, 09:27 PM

Great information, thanks! After going through the Ricky fiasco, I'd hate to get his long-lost brother in attitude :rolleyes: . But I do say that Saban would be the best coach in the league at finding what motivates him and pushing his buttons. I say the 'Fins would only go as high as a fourth rounder for him.

Ferretsquig
05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
I'm sorry, but in no way shape or form does the drafting of Tony Hollings compare with the skill set of Ahmad Brooks.

Yeh Hollings had a 10 cent head and Brooks has the 2 cent version. I realize you draftnicks love to salivate over a player like Brooks who is an amazing athlete, but noone will give up a high pick for an idiot. I'm confident it wasnt just the weed that got him kicked off the team. This had been building up for a while. I'll trust Groh's judgement on this one. If hes willing to part with a player with those gifts there are some serious issues.

Boomer
05-09-2006, 02:58 AM
Yeh Hollings had a 10 cent head and Brooks has the 2 cent version. I realize you draftnicks love to salivate over a player like Brooks who is an amazing athlete, but noone will give up a high pick for an idiot. I'm confident it wasnt just the weed that got him kicked off the team. This had been building up for a while. I'll trust Groh's judgement on this one. If hes willing to part with a player with those gifts there are some serious issues.

And Hollings was a 10 cent player and Brooks is a $100 bucks guy if we're doing the financial comparisons.

You use Hollings as an example, then say no-one would give up a high pick for an idiot. Yet Hollings was a 2nd rounder in the Supplemental Draft. I don't get it.

What I do agree with is that there is more to the Brooks story than we've been led to believe, unless it is just repeat offences in extremis.

phinfan77
05-09-2006, 10:49 AM
First- who was hollings?

Saban has done a wonderful job of keeping players focused and committed, even troubled ones like Boston(didn't have a problem before the re-injury) and williams. If the front office evaluates brooks as a troubled but correctable talent i'm all for giving up the a draft pick.

I seem to recall this time last year when manuel wright was in the Supp. and many posters, (and some reports, i think)
thought he would only be had for a 2nd. I understand Brooks is a more dominant player at this time, but the market definately was lower than expected.
Is a fourth round pick possible to get brooks? it is an early first day, and we would be ahead of 16 teams using the same round. Also many people here complain that a fourth round pick, unlike joe toledo, should be able to start or contribute in their first year. Will brooks be able to do that?

Ferretsquig
05-09-2006, 02:57 PM
And Hollings was a 10 cent player and Brooks is a $100 bucks guy if we're doing the financial comparisons.

You use Hollings as an example, then say no-one would give up a high pick for an idiot. Yet Hollings was a 2nd rounder in the Supplemental Draft. I don't get it.

What I do agree with is that there is more to the Brooks story than we've been led to believe, unless it is just repeat offences in extremis.

The point is Hollings and players like him have made nfl GMs gunshy. He has done nothing for the Texans after having such high expectations. I think nfl gms are very leery of giving up a high pick for anyone in the supplemental draft. I highly doubt he would go before the 4th round.

Boomer
05-09-2006, 03:58 PM
First- who was hollings?

Saban has done a wonderful job of keeping players focused and committed, even troubled ones like Boston(didn't have a problem before the re-injury) and williams. If the front office evaluates brooks as a troubled but correctable talent i'm all for giving up the a draft pick.

I seem to recall this time last year when manuel wright was in the Supp. and many posters, (and some reports, i think)
thought he would only be had for a 2nd. I understand Brooks is a more dominant player at this time, but the market definately was lower than expected.
Is a fourth round pick possible to get brooks? it is an early first day, and we would be ahead of 16 teams using the same round. Also many people here complain that a fourth round pick, unlike joe toledo, should be able to start or contribute in their first year. Will brooks be able to do that?

Tony Hollings was a Georgia Tech running back who was the nation's leading runner in 2002 before tearing his ACL and the meniscal cartilage in his right knee against BYU. He was academically ineligible and thus jumped ship, ran a 4.47, repped 17 on the bench, jumped 37 inches and the Texans gave up a 2 for him in the Supplemental Draft.

In his 3 year career he has 49 carries for 149 yards.

As for the Wright/Brooks comparison, as a freshman and a sophomore, Brooks looked like a once in a decade linebacker. Wright did not.

If Brooks meets the criteria I set out on page 1 then he SHOULD go much higher than a 4. I wouldn't be surprised, if he checks out, to see him go for a 1 or a 2. And if Brooks is healthy and in shape, then yes, he should contribute early and often.

Boomer
05-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I highly doubt he would go before the 4th round.

That's where we'll have to agree to disagree, suffice to say that there has been plenty of supplemental successes.

MF19
05-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Boomer do you have a link to game tape of brooks

Boomer
05-10-2006, 02:34 AM

Sorry mate, not online. Just game film here at home.

Ferretsquig
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
I caught up with Ahmad Brooks the other day. The former UVa. All-American linebacker has kept a pretty low profile since rumors began swirling last winter about him being thrown out of Virginia. Brooks says he had been talking with coach Al Groh and athletic director Craig Littlepage about being allowed back into the program, and he believed he had a good shot. Then in late March, Brooks logged on to ESPN.com and learned the school had dismissed him (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=2387780). The reason, he was later told, was due to the cumulative effect of his irresponsibility. He had missed too many classes and workout sessions. Liberty and Hampton, a pair of local I-AA schools, had called, but Brooks wasn't interested in transferring. He was convinced that whatever issues NFL scouts had, he would have to face at some point.

It seemed to be quite the fall for a guy many had once projected as a top-10 draft pick. After all, Brooks, the son of former Redskins D-lineman Perry Brooks, was a guy scouts had been marveling at for a few years. Back in 2004, despite weighing 260 pounds, he actually doubled as a returnman. As a linebacker, he notched eight sacks and made 90 tackles. He could've turned pro then, but didn't. Brooks didn't feel 100 percent healthy. He had a cyst behind his right knee, which was removed last March and forced him to miss the first three games of the 2005 season. When Brooks returned, he was sluggish and way out of shape. He sat out the Cavaliers' bowl game because of a sore back. Rumors began to swirl that Brooks was about to get booted from the program. The rumors ranged from a supposed positive marijuana test (in 2003, Brooks pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor marijuana charge and spent six months on probation) to him blowing off workouts.
Brooks and OhioState's Mike D'Andrea were the most hyped linebackers in their high school class. And that was something Brooks couldn't get out of his mind as he sat in an Atlanta-area apartment alone watching the NFL draft. He says one thought kept coming back to him: That should've been me. Brooks is part of a package we ran in the next issue of ESPN The Magazine. The article focuses on how a guy with baggage can try to build back his credibility. Regardless of his potential, it won't be easy.

About a month ago, Brooks' agent Greg Williams sent him down to Duluth, Ga., to train with Competitive Edge Sports' Chip Smith, the guy who got former NCAA exile Mike Williams ready for his pro day last spring. "I knew Ahmad needed to show people rather than me trying to sell somebody something," Williams said.
Brooks arrived in Georgia in April, he says, weighing more than 285 pounds. "The first day, he puked seven times," Smith said, but added that Brooks kept going.
CES's nutritionist changed Brooks' diet, cutting out all salt and sugar and late-night binging. Brooks started eating breakfast -- something he seldom did before. Smith's rule: Workouts begin at 9. If you're late, you're gone. "He's usually here 45 minutes early," Smith says. One month into the training, Brooks is down 10 pounds and hopeful that he can get to 260 for his pro day. (That'll take place at UVa., about two weeks before the supplemental draft. On June 16, the NFL will tell him the date.) He's also picking the brains of NFL vets Nate Wayne, E.J. Johnson and Hannibal Navies, who are training at CES as well.

Brooks realizes everyone doubts him. He knows after Maurice Clarett flopped, it's not a good time to be seen as a gamble. He stopped counting how many times he heard the word character on the draft show. To his credit, Brooks doesn't blame anyone else for his downfall at UVa. "I put myself in this boat," he said. "I know I've let a lot of people down -- I was the one who did the damage to my reputation and my family's reputation, but the first way I can prove that I'm not who they think I am is by showing them. By action."

Given the outcomes of other players who seemingly have less baggage, I didn't like Brooks' chances in the supplemental draft, even if he showed up in terrific shape. But after speaking to him the other day, he sounded very contrite -- especially when we talked about his feelings for Groh. Brooks explained how he had apologized to him before he left. "I really felt like I had let him down," he said. "I mean, I came to the school to change that program around and get them to a national championship, and that obviously didn't happen."

Of course, saying the right things now is the easy part. Hopefully for Brooks' sake and those linked to him, he has finally grown up.

(from Bruce Feldman's blog on ESPN)

Even if he can get from a 285 lb slob to a sleek 4.4 running 245 pound linebacker in a couple months the real test is going to be when teams interview him and his former coaches. I can assure you no team will even consider giving up a pick for him unless they know everything he did while at UVA and how/why he is never going to do it again. With Saban taking all these risks on headcases they may decide to take a flyer on him, but only with a late round pick. I doubt teams like NE and Carolina would even consider drafting him.

Boomer
05-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Nice find.

nick1
05-10-2006, 10:49 AM
when is the supplemental draft?

MiamiDolphins34
05-10-2006, 07:17 PM

In july.

SR 7
05-16-2006, 02:38 AM
In july.

july what?

PhinsTD
05-17-2006, 08:31 PM
I don't believe the NFL has set an exact date yet have they?

HysterikiLL
05-17-2006, 09:31 PM
My opinion is that with Saban's crack team of expert evaluators, we'll get a good look at him. I love this kid, but he still needs to prove himself. If he can get his weight down and get into great shape, I'd sell the farm for him.

SR 7
05-18-2006, 01:18 PM
My opinion is that with Saban's crack team of expert evaluators, we'll get a good look at him. I love this kid, but he still needs to prove himself. If he can get his weight down and get into great shape, I'd sell the farm for him.

i think there is more to this vfrom Saban then we know. I mean cmon guys, saban took on Wright when he was overweight and still soo darn young. Brooks i believe is older, 2. is trying to get into shape, 3. we did almost ntn to pick up a SOLB via FA other then Hodge a back up and did ntn in the draft so this makes me believe we MIGHT take a shot at this guy.

Queen_Crunked
05-18-2006, 06:50 PM

From NFL.com ....

(May 18, 2006) -- For those of you experiencing a little post-NFL Draft withdrawal, there's good news: The 2006 Supplemental Draft is just around the corner.

This years' supplemental draft is tentatively scheduled for July 13. Rules of the supplemental draft stipulate that it has to take place at least 10 days prior to opening of the first training camp.

Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the eight playoff teams.

The first time the supplemental draft came into play was in 1977, when Al Hunter, a running back from Notre Dame, was selected in the fourth round by the Seattle Seahawks.

Of course, in order for a team to select someone, it must have that choice available in the following year's regular draft -- and that's the pick it will give up to make the supplemental pick.

Some of the names you may recall that have been selected in supplemental drafts through the years include linebacker Brian Bosworth, a first-round pick of the Seahawks in 1987; Washington State QB Tim Rosenbach, taken by the Cardinals in 1989; Miami QB Steve Walsh, also taken in 1989 by the Dallas Cowboys; and Duke QB Dave Brown, who was selected by the Giants in 1992.

More recently, San Diego defensive tackle Jamal Williams was a second-round supplemental pick in 1998, and he's become a terrific run-stuffer for the Chargers.

The paperwork hasn't officially been filed yet for this year's supplemental draft, but there are at least two players who will get a close look from scouts around the league:

Ahmad Brooks, LB, Virginia: A national defensive player of the year coming out of high school, Brooks had an outstanding 2004 season for the Cavaliers in 2004, but got hurt last year.

Jason Berryman, DE, Iowa State: At about 240 pounds, he's probably a linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. His Pro Day is already set for June 6 at Iowa State, and we'll have reports on that.

Of course, NFL.com will have news on these and other players who file for the supplemental draft, so rest easy. There's more draft analysis on the way!

(http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397)

Philter25
05-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Im actually suprised some people would go that high on Brooks. I dunno, it seems that BEFORE the supp draft, a player's value might be overshot. IIRC last year a lot of reports were saying Miami or Cincy might take Manny Wright in the 3rd..... and that was a few days before the draft. Now Im not trying to compare Manny Wright to Brooks. Personally, I would throw a 3rd or 4th at Brooks. When healthy and without all the problems, he easily can be a 1st round pick. However looking at the total picture, we desperately need help at LB. 2-3 years down the road, the only guy we will have here is Crowder. It would be nice to pick up a young guy who can jump into the mix for a bargain, as we did with Manny Wright. Of course he would haveto sit down and have a confess-all with Saban and clear up all his problems. With our LB corps and considering we offered Marcus Vick a contract, who IMO has WAY more problems than Ahmad Brooks, I would bet that we do at the least take a look at him.

dolfan3431
05-20-2006, 09:25 AM
he is a 6'4 beast but is he a OLB or ILB

hof13
05-20-2006, 10:10 AM

This footage link of a Brooks sack was posted in the zoo
http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=142760 (http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=142760)
:

http://www.ejbdotcom.net/content/2804.html

Very impressive.

Boomer
05-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Very reminiscent of the Lavar leap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4GoBoY7DdA&search=lavar%20arrington

Bjorn
05-20-2006, 12:53 PM
he is a 6'4 beast but is he a OLB or ILB

He can play both.

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showpl...hmad%20Brooks* (http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.php?key=Ahmad%20Brooks*)

Pros: Great size, speed, jumping ability, and athleticism - the whole package when it comes to physical attributes. Terrific coverage and pass rushing skills. Sideline to sideline type of linebacker that can chase down the fastest of running backs and cover TEs and RBs well. Very hard hitting while being a good wrap-up tackler as well. Good at stuffing the run up the middle. Trained in the 3-4 scheme under Al Groh (former Parcells/Belichick protege) so should be able to come in and start immediately for any 3-4 team. With his speed, athleticism and pass rush skills, should be able to handle any LB spot inside or outside. Can take over a game with his defensive play.
Cons:Had minor knee surgery during the offseason, came back and sprained his ankle. Returned out of shape and not fully healed from ankle sprain. Not producing much this past season because of injuries because he's only played in about half the season. Questions could be raised about his work ethic from this past season. Although a disciplined player for the most part, tends to freelance once in awhile. In 2003, was caught with marijuana but no other reported incidents since.

Winbaby#23
05-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Very reminiscent of the Lavar leap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4GoBoY7DdA&search=lavar%20arrington Boomer, what round do you think he will go in the supplemental draft, and do you think Saban will try and draft him??

SR 7
05-21-2006, 04:39 AM
Im actually suprised some people would go that high on Brooks. I dunno, it seems that BEFORE the supp draft, a player's value might be overshot. IIRC last year a lot of reports were saying Miami or Cincy might take Manny Wright in the 3rd..... and that was a few days before the draft. Now Im not trying to compare Manny Wright to Brooks. Personally, I would throw a 3rd or 4th at Brooks. When healthy and without all the problems, he easily can be a 1st round pick. However looking at the total picture, we desperately need help at LB. 2-3 years down the road, the only guy we will have here is Crowder. It would be nice to pick up a young guy who can jump into the mix for a bargain, as we did with Manny Wright. Of course he would haveto sit down and have a confess-all with Saban and clear up all his problems. With our LB corps and considering we offered Marcus Vick a contract, who IMO has WAY more problems than Ahmad Brooks, I would bet that we do at the least take a look at him.

PERFECTLY SAID.

Montella
05-21-2006, 12:28 PM
the patriots seems to be very interesting in drafting brooks, maybe with a 1st round pick and also interested in trading for donnie edwards... :fire:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=140160

Caps
05-21-2006, 12:50 PM
If they want to spend a 1st on Brooks then they can have him.

Boomer
05-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Boomer, what round do you think he will go in the supplemental draft, and do you think Saban will try and draft him??

Depends whether he meets the criteria I set out earlier in this thread. If he's fit, healthy, his weight is in check and his head is in check, then he's a top 7 pick at worst.

hof13
05-23-2006, 07:00 PM
5/23 Brooks update:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397

Brooks is tentatively scheduled to hold a workout for pro scouts on June 2 at the University of Virginia. Cavaliers head coach Al Groh, along with Brooks' position coach and trainer, will be on hand to talk to the NFL personnel guys before the workout.

Brooks has been training in Atlanta with Chip Smith. As of yesterday, his weight was 274 -- he has a target weight of 265 for the workout. Brooks, who played linebacker in college but might project as a Julius Peppers-type defensive end in the pros, missed six games with a right knee injury last year...

Ferretsquig
05-24-2006, 12:33 PM
....mabey I'll adjust that prediction from 5th rounder to undrafted. 274 and hes going to try to drop 10 pounds in a week? What an idiot. How do you blow this one chance? He had months to work with a personal trainer. Oh well...

Mike13
05-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Boomer, who does he remind you of?

t2thejz
05-27-2006, 07:26 PM
....mabey I'll adjust that prediction from 5th rounder to undrafted. 274 and hes going to try to drop 10 pounds in a week? What an idiot. How do you blow this one chance? He had months to work with a personal trainer. Oh well...
Thats not too much heavier than Shaun Merriman.

SR 7
05-27-2006, 09:35 PM

uhh he dropped 10 lbs in a month and he was 274 about a week ago so tahts another 3 weeks he has.

Boomer
05-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Boomer, who does he remind you of?

A more athletic Ray Lewis.

phinfan77
05-28-2006, 10:17 AM
boomer,
going by thread logic here, but if you say he's a top 7 pick if all criteria are met, and other teams, the patriots being mentioned, are high on him. he is ready to play in an nfl scheme b ecaus he learned under groh and looks like a more athletic ray lewis. Olb is our biggest need.

i could see paYING A SECOND FOR THIS GUY. a first if that's what it took.

Boomer
05-28-2006, 05:28 PM
boomer,
going by thread logic here, but if you say he's a top 7 pick if all criteria are met, and other teams, the patriots being mentioned, are high on him. he is ready to play in an nfl scheme b ecaus he learned under groh and looks like a more athletic ray lewis. Olb is our biggest need.

Dude, I'm not sure if there's a question in there or not. I can't really make sense of what you're trying to say.

Kdawg954
05-28-2006, 07:35 PM
boomer,

A first?? Man I remember Brooks in a few games, and I have seen the Lavaresque leap, but to give up a first for the guy?? I mean he seems to have work ethic problems, had a marijuana conviction and injury problems, and u would take all that baggage than wait for a clean cut guy to fall for us next year. Its a chance I wouldn't make for our 1st or our second. You guys have somehow managed to make me think a third might be ok, if and only if he is impressive at his workout, but anything more than that is absurd.

Marino13fanboy1
06-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Uhh....no more than a 5th for this guy......he's not worth anything higher at this point. Check out this from Jason Cole's column in Miami Herald.

Qjason-did you mention ahmad brooks is in the supplemental draft? isnt that guy a flat-out stud from uva, and worth a 2nd rd pick in the supp?
kevin, palm beach gardens., fl 6/01/06
AWe've talked about him. He was very good a couple of years ago. However, knee injuries, weight problems (he was up to 285 pounds about a month ago) and off-field issues (think Ricky) have killed his value. I think he's more along the lines of a 5th rounder. Jason Cole 6/01/06

hof13
06-02-2006, 07:16 PM
Uhh....no more than a 5th for this guy......he's not worth anything higher at this point. Check out this from Jason Cole's column in Miami Herald.

Qjason-did you mention ahmad brooks is in the supplemental draft? isnt that guy a flat-out stud from uva, and worth a 2nd rd pick in the supp?
kevin, palm beach gardens., fl 6/01/06
AWe've talked about him. He was very good a couple of years ago. However, knee injuries, weight problems (he was up to 285 pounds about a month ago) and off-field issues (think Ricky) have killed his value. I think he's more along the lines of a 5th rounder. Jason Cole 6/01/06

The latest as of 5/31: http://kffl.com/player/13597/nfl (http://kffl.com/player/13597/nfl)

49ers | Team may take a shot with A. Brooks
Wed, 31 May 2006 05:59:04 -0700
Matthew Barrows, of the Sacramento Bee, reports the San Francisco 49ers (http://www.kffl.com/team/32/nfl) will consider making a bid for former Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks (http://www.kffl.com/player/13597/nfl) in the July 13 supplemental draft, personnel director Scot McCloughan said Tuesday, May 30. Brooks will hold a workout for pro scouts at the Virginia campus June 22 and is preparing for the event at Competitive Edge Sports, an Atlanta-based outfit run by Chip Smith. Smith said Brooks now weighs 268 pounds, five or so more than his playing weight at Virginia. He also has begun to shed the maturity issues that plagued him at Virginia. Smith said Brooks has recovered from the injuries that cut short his 2005 season and estimates he will run the 40-yard dash in the 4.5-second range.

So he's down to 268 - and SF has an interest in him. Since they're in a lower pool than us, that means we'd have to give up a pick at least one round ahead of them.

Also, Cole's information is incorrect. He was 285 at the beginning of April. He was around 276 at the beginning of May.

Ronnieisabeast
06-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Wasn't Brooks suppose to have his workout today? Does anybody know how he did.

hof13
06-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Wasn't Brooks suppose to have his workout today? Does anybody know how he did.

It's actually scheduled for June 22 - not June 2. Sorry - I think I stated it incorrectly earlier.

Ronnieisabeast
06-03-2006, 09:02 AM
It's actually scheduled for June 22 - not June 2. Sorry - I think I stated it wrong earlier.That's fine. No big deal

Mike13
06-04-2006, 12:56 PM
The supplemental draft is on July 13th right?

SR 7
06-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I am willing to give up a pick for this man. He seems lke he is getting back on track ala RW was but he doens't have the money issues of 8.6 mill or depth that he's in and he hasn't played in the league to say oo he has the money so he'll come for a couple years and leave. I really want the guy if he can come and perform.

hof13
06-04-2006, 05:06 PM
The Bucs will be sending people to his pro day:

Buccaneers | Team will attend Brooks’ Pro Day
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 08:54:12 -0700
The St. Petersburg Times reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers (http://www.kffl.com/team/35/nfl) general manager Bruce Allen said the Bucs will attend Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks (http://www.kffl.com/player/13597/nfl)' Pro Day workout, expected to be June 22, and interview him as they would a regular draft prospect. As noted earlier, Brooks will be in the NFL (http://www.kffl.com/team/77/nfl)'s supplemental draft July 13.

hof13
06-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Gil Brandt 6/7 Update:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9447397

As of June 7, his weight was 264 -- he has a target weight of 265 for the workout -- and ran a 4.52 in the 40-yard dash, according to his agent

PhinsRDbest
06-12-2006, 07:46 PM
When I thought he was declaring this year for the draft I thought the Dolphins should use a 2nd on him so I would not mind if they used next years second. Him and Crowder together would be a dream. He is the perfect replacement for Junior. The future of the defense would be limitless with him, Crowder, Wright, Wright, Allen, Poole, Daniels, and Roth. WWWOOOO!!!!

hof13
06-15-2006, 05:57 AM
When I thought he was declaring this year for the draft I thought the Dolphins should use a 2nd on him so I would not mind if they used next years second. Him and Crowder together would be a dream. He is the perfect replacement for Junior. The future of the defense would be limitless with him, Crowder, Wright, Wright, Allen, Poole, Daniels, and Roth. WWWOOOO!!!!

Adding Brooks to the defense would be pretty awesome.

Looks like the Sporting News agrees with you on the second:

The early word on Virginia LB Ahmad Brooks is he is expected to be a second-round pick in the July 13 supplemental draft. He would fit in best as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme, though he's gifted enough to play end in a 4-3. The question is which team will want to take a chance on his character. Brooks is not likely to get a glowing recommendation from the people at his former school.

Canadi-Phin
06-24-2006, 03:05 PM
If Saban's mental health guy gives Ahmad the okay, I think we spend a 4th if we feel we can get him for that if not then a 3rd at the highest. His talent is huge, he was a kid making mistakes. I think lots of us have done that. He would be a great OLB for us coming from Groh's system.

Boomer
06-25-2006, 06:14 PM
The Dolphins are VERY interested in Brooks. I think they'll be looking in the 3/4 area for him. High first talent in round 3..............

PhinsRDbest
06-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Just a phenomenal player. 6-4, 258, alleged 4.47 speed (that's college ranking sped, but even then you're looking at 4.67)
Uncanny:eek:
By Gil Brandt (http://www.nfl.com/writers/brandt)
NFL.com Senior Analyst
He ran three times, timed at 4.68, 4.75 and 4.74 in the 40

SR 7
06-27-2006, 06:44 AM
The Dolphins are VERY interested in Brooks. I think they'll be looking in the 3/4 area for him. High first talent in round 3.............. what is his speed like or close to? S. merriman? Arrington? speed that is

Boomer
06-27-2006, 07:57 AM
what is his speed like or close to? S. merriman? Arrington? speed that is

He has football speed. He plays quicker, he doesn't get caught in trash.

RichmondWeb
06-29-2006, 07:40 AM
Miami might as well use the 16th(???) pick in the third round for this guy, after all next year's third round pick will be #32 which is more like a 4th round pick anyway. Using the pick now is like trading up half a round for free.

caneaddict
07-03-2006, 02:35 PM
When exactly is the supplemental draft?

Boomer
07-03-2006, 04:39 PM
July 13th

Finsfan79
07-03-2006, 09:51 PM
not soon enough

Bowl_Bound
07-06-2006, 11:18 AM
He has football speed. He plays quicker, he doesn't get caught in trash.

What do you think about the kid from Jr college, I think his name is Dixon. His physical numbers, speed, vert etc are unreal.

Boomer
07-07-2006, 01:24 PM
What do you think about the kid from Jr college, I think his name is Dixon. His physical numbers, speed, vert etc are unreal.

His numbers are very ordinary. The pre-workout 'hype' numbers sounded great. When he actually worked out, he was pretty mediocre.