PDA

View Full Version : What is the greatest video game series of all time?

TrueDolFan
05-04-2006, 01:55 PM
What series do you think is the greatest ever?

Bruzer
05-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Mine would be Zelda Series or Metal Gear Solid . Great Gameplay, Great Stories they are exactly what you want from a game.

TrueDolFan
05-04-2006, 02:03 PM
I give my vote for Zelda. Final Fantasy comes in a very distant second.

mor911
05-04-2006, 02:05 PM
This is a REALLY difficult question to answer. Let's take it in stride.

A lot of people will say Zelda. It's lasted the test of time, but there's been some ugly hiccups along the way (in the form of Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker... Not to mention those CD-i Zelda games). Strong contender either way.

Mario will also be up there. Time tested, but WAY too played out and over used in my opinion. Too many spin-offs.. Plus Mario isn't even fun anymore. He's not the face of video games anymore (don't try and tell Nintento that).

Final Fantasy will be up to the top of this list. Mostly all great games (minus Mystic Quest and 11). The formula for FF games (story book with little difference when you play the game) might be getting over run by the open-ended, free-roaming RPGs of today (enter Oblivion, KOTOR, Fallout etc.).

Metal Gear will easily be a top contender. Strong story lines, great action and stealth, lovable characters can't miss. Snake has a huge set of followers.

Castlevania is another strong contender with a long list of great titles. It's downfall, is an equally long list of horrible titles... Including all of the PS2 and Xbox games.

Medal of Honor is a pretty strong series now. I hate the MoH games, but 10 gazzillion units sold can't lie.

Splinter Cell deserves a shot in here somewhere. People will argue that it's first iteration was on the Xbox... I will argue that every SC game so far has taken the genre into the next level.

There's probly 30 more titles that should be here, but that's all I can think of now. Gotta head back to work. I'll make a decision later.

Mike13
05-04-2006, 02:05 PM
There's afew that I like but my favorite series is the Zelda series.

UCFinfan86
05-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Madden :) i only play sports games o and GTA and GT

UltraDol-Fan
05-04-2006, 02:21 PM
the first that came to mind for me was Mario. I have spent many hours playing Mario games. There was a Mario for every genre: Mario RPG, Mario Kart, Mario (insert sport here)

mor911
05-04-2006, 02:43 PM
the first that came to mind for me was Mario. I have spent many hours playing Mario games. There was a Mario for every genre: Mario RPG, Mario Kart, Mario (insert sport here)Are giving Nintendo props for re-using the same IP over and over again in spin-offs? :lol:

Link
05-04-2006, 03:14 PM
The Legend of Zelda is number 1.

Mario #2, Metroid #3 Sonic #4, Donkey Kong #5.

Ok, I know I am probably the only one here that thinks this way so I am prepared for the upcoming get the Nintendo Nerd debate. :lol:

UltraDol-Fan
05-04-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm not saying I play them all (okay, I have the new Mario Golf), I'm just saying somebody is cause they keep making them :lol:

SweetLou
05-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Madden should top anyones list on here. It has become an obsession of mine and ruined many relationships. But eliminating all sport games I would have to say the "Legacy of Kain" series. I'm a big fan as u can tell by my avatar.

Zelda, the old school Sonic games(smoke the new series), Ninja Gaiden from the Nintendo days, and Mario deserve honorable mentions.

SirDrums
05-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Heroes of Might and Magic is my favorite series of all time. I can just play those games over and over and over.

Caps
05-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Currently, GTA. But taking history into account I would probably pick Zelda, they've been consistently good for over a decade.

ChrisKo
05-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Tie between Final Fantasy and Suikoden.

TrueDolFan
05-04-2006, 04:09 PM
A lot of people will say Zelda. It's lasted the test of time, but there's been some ugly hiccups along the way (in the form of Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker... Not to mention those CD-i Zelda games). Strong contender either way.

C'mon, man. Ugly? That's a bit harsh. Majora's mask was not the best game in Zelda history (you can't even count the CD-i games, the big N had nothing to do with those), but it was still a decent game. The only thing wrong with Wind Waker was the rather boring sailing section towards the end. Other than that, that was a sweet game, you gotta admit!

Bruzer
05-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I loved Majoras mask which many people do not know they were demanded another zelda game after ocarina of time. To be made within 1 year so the amount of the time they did the game its an amazing game. Yes its a little different than other zeldas but when forced to do a game in 1 year its amazing. Wind Waker many people bash but wind waker reminds me of all the other zelda games my biggest quirk with it is the constant sailing. Despite that the game is great. OOT is best in my opinion but MM and WW is not far behind.

Miami 13
05-04-2006, 04:16 PM
My vote would go to the Grand Theft Auto series. ****ing Awesome games.

Dolfan11
05-04-2006, 05:41 PM
The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Metal Gear Solid, God of War (after 2 comes out), Madden, Half Life, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, Street Fighter....I don't know, the list just keeps going.

miaD5499
05-04-2006, 05:43 PM
my favorite is by FARRRRR MADDEN...im really only into sport games and a few shooting games like gta, ghost recon, call of duty, and halo but other than that its allllllll sports games!!!!!

PeaTearGriffin
05-04-2006, 06:09 PM
If i had to do mine off the top of my head, i would say zelda, MGS, and resident evil would be my top three. When i think of series i think of titles that have more then 3 titles, so this knocks out halo and half-life(yes i know they have blue shift and all the other little games). Also i dont' count sports games because they don't make huge changes from year to year.

btw i liked wind waker

dQbell
05-04-2006, 07:16 PM
Splinter Cell for me.

FullmetalFin
05-08-2006, 03:55 AM
What about the mega man games? Am I the only one here who loved playing them? Gotta agree with Zelda as well.