PDA

View Full Version : Madden NFL 2007 (XBOX 360) Preview

Phins28
05-05-2006, 08:37 PM
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/705/705376p1.html

Medieval954
05-05-2006, 09:25 PM
You can play as any player on the field now. Sounds cool. NFL Superstar Hall of Fame mode sounds interesting too. One of the unlockables better be Marino. :D Team-specific defenses finally arrive. Took long enough.

The Future

While these are some of the main new features of Madden (both current and next gen), EA Sports still has plenty of secrets left to reveal about their titles. Like a good coach, they don't want to show their complete gamelan…not just yet.
Good idea or the competition might steal some of their ideas.

Oh wait...

DolphinsD1
05-05-2006, 09:27 PM
The highlightstick seems very intersting........ Introducing the Highlight Stick. Now when you're playing with someone like Parker or Tiki Barber, press the right analog stick in any direction and you'll see an animation where the smaller back will duck, spin, or squirt out of a tackle. You'll even be able to combo moves with the stick, piecing together a juke left with a hop step backwards (down on the right analog stick) to leave defenders eating turf. This will add an advantage to the elusive runners, not just the backs with bulk. The Truck Stick animations still exist for the bigger backs, but now you'll see a lot more variety of running moves with the addition of the Highlight Stick......

But here is a question will we still have a button to manually juke and spin or will those buttons be used for something else?

Agent51
05-05-2006, 09:37 PM
You can play as any player on the field now. Sounds cool.

I haven't read the article yet (the page isn't loading for some reason), so forgive me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you ALWAYS play as any player on the field? Or wait, do you mean on OFFENSE? Like you can control a WR and run his route or be a linemen or something? THAT is cool.

DolphinsD1
05-05-2006, 09:40 PM
On bump and run coverages, the cornerback will actually chuck the receiver and smack him in the chest, impacting the way he runs his route. When you throw the ball deep, you'll see more realistic safety play and help coverage.

Its about time the cornerbacks get physical, on the older maddens on bump and run the CBs just basically stand in the WRs way and then let them run by.

DolphinsD1
05-05-2006, 09:45 PM
"But that's not all. There is also a new feature called Madden Live Opponent. This means when you're playing your franchise and you see one of your friends online, you can challenge your friend to take over the next opponent in your schedule. Think you talk a lot of smack now, break up your friend's undefeated record and the trash talking might never stop."

Finally be able to play a franchise game online wothout going through the hassels of setting up a spawn game...it finally sounds like EA is making a effort to put out a good madden game..

Medieval954
05-05-2006, 09:48 PM
I haven't read the article yet (the page isn't loading for some reason), so forgive me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you ALWAYS play as any player on the field? Or wait, do you mean on OFFENSE? Like you can control a WR and run his route or be a linemen or something? THAT is cool.
Basically, yes.

After selecting a running play, you will be able to cycle through your offensive players as they get into position at the line. Select the player you want to control, that's right, control, and after the ball is snapped, the camera zooms in on the fullback, tackle, guard, center, tight end, or even wide receiver that you decided to possess.

dQbell
05-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the link. It looks pretty promising, and it's good to see they are adding the much needed depth to the 360 version.

Phins28
05-05-2006, 09:54 PM
You can play as any player on the field now. Sounds cool. NFL Superstar Hall of Fame mode sounds interesting too. One of the unlockables better be Marino. :D Team-specific defenses finally arrive. Took long enough.

Good idea or the competition might steal some of their ideas.

Oh wait...

I love the team specific defense. There's also the new NFL Draft Scouting system and a college allstar game. I hope the add gang tackles .

Agent51
05-05-2006, 10:37 PM
OK, the link worked finally. Here's my thoughts:

1 - It's all cool that they revamoped the running and everything, since that is mostly what I do (I struggle in the passing game, lol). However, to have a SEPERATE mode just to be able to be the blockers seems pretty dumb to me? That is how the article makes it out anyway, like that mode is sperate from anything else. It would be MUCH better to just have you be able to do that in anythign from an exhibition to online to franchise games.

2 - I hope the current-gens have the new combine-esq mini camp. I'm SO sick of the lame one thats there now. I HATE Madden on 360, I've always thought the controls felt more "loose" than on the PS (plus I always hated those black and white buttons, which are gone now, thank god). I am still getting NCAA and Madden for the PS2 this year, but I still wanna see that new mini camp in there.

3 - The new superstar mode sounds like it's actually worth playing, so I might be willing to give it a shot agian this year (as long as they don;t somehow change my white NCAA HB to black in the import again, lollol). The one thing this article didn;t state that I wanna know is if jersey numbers get retired, and if retired numbers are excluded. And for ALL modes, not just this Hall of Fame mode. IDK WHY Madden hasn't done this yet, FEVER had it in their crappy series from the first incarnation YEARS ago. I'm SO tired of drafting some rookie QB in the late rounds that turns out to be a 67 overall but yet he is wearing #13 when we head into mini camp :fire:. I think they should have all the already retired numbers around the league NOT available for rookies or to change any current player's number to, make it THAT much more realistic. Also, like in FEVER, you should be able to retire jersey numbers in franchise mode, and ESPECIALLY in this new Hall of Fame mode, since that's usually what happens when you make the Hall of Fame.

4 - The field deterioration and the dirtying of jerseys and helmets is cool. Hopefully it's REALLY dynamic like they say and not like in the current version where the middle of the field turns a lighter brown at the same time every game and mud/grass shows up on the ame exact spots on all the players at the same time, lol.

Overall it sounds MUCH better than last years, and even though I am still prolly sticking to PS2 for my NCAA and Madden this year, I am excited because it's a sign of things to come (for when I get PS3). I'll also probabaly rent Madden for the 360 just to check out the mini camp thing and all that if they aren't included in the current gen versions.

Pagan
05-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Superstar mode only for current gen? That sux. :(

HysterikiLL
05-06-2006, 12:44 AM
:eek:

Two weeks ago I declared that I thought NCAA 07 would be the best football game of all time. It seems now that it will still be, but only for about a month.

HysterikiLL
05-06-2006, 12:51 AM
That's why the main goal of NFL Superstar Hall of Fame mode was to put the emphasis back on the superstar, both on and off the field. That means when you create your player, you only play as that player in games. So if you create a wide receiver (http://sports.ign.com/articles/705/705351p2.html#), you actually play only as the receiver, complete with a different camera angle showcasing your player, with special moves tied to the right analog stick for every position. That means you don't call the play (you're not the coach). You don't throw the ball (you're not the QB). And you don't play defense (you simply watch the game and cheer for the D to play strong). For those gamers who don't want to watch the defense, you do have the option to take over the D and play that side of the ball like a normal game, but if you decide to watch, the gameplay is sped up so you don't have to sit and wait too long.

THAT was what we wanted!

HysterikiLL
05-06-2006, 12:55 AM
In terms of additions to franchise mode, you'll now be able to scout collegiate prospects with a new NFL Draft Scouting system as well as a College All-Star game. There is also a new feature called Franchise Player Roles that will show how different players impact their teams throughout the season. And for the first time, you'll finally be able to get your Ron Rivera-on with team-specific defensive playbooks.

In-season scouting and getting a chance to play with the guys before you draft them is the number 1 thing I've been hoping for all along. It seems Madden are FINALLY GETTING IT RIGHT.

:lol: @ those who said they won't upgrade anything now they are the monopoly.

HysterikiLL
05-06-2006, 12:57 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/maddennfl07firstlook20060505024926361000-1.jpg:hump:

PeaTearGriffin
05-06-2006, 01:06 AM
im still reading some of this but are they going back to the SNES style where you ran and stuff to get ratings?

HysterikiLL
05-06-2006, 01:29 AM
im still reading some of this but are they going back to the SNES style where you ran and stuff to get ratings?

It seems that when you create a guy you go to the combine to get all your stats by doing bench reps, running the 40 etc.

gramos0621
05-06-2006, 01:40 AM
looks great!!cant wait!!!

Agent51
05-06-2006, 01:41 AM
It seems that when you create a guy you go to the combine to get all your stats by doing bench reps, running the 40 etc.

which they FINALLY included (I can't believe it took em this long) and I HOPE it's for current-gen versions too. I have a 360 but I'm getting NCAA and Madden for PS2.

I'm also wondering if the combine thing is just in the superstar mode or if it's in franchise too. I think it'd be awesome if in the superstar mode you went to the combine BEFORE the draft and could raise your stock, or if during the scouting mode in franchise you can choose to do the drills with your 15 prospects, or watch the drills or sim them and see if their stock rises or falls.

I also hope that free agent signings get moved to BEFORE the draft. It is SO annying that it's after the draft, especially if a guy you want at a position you need gets taken in the draft, or you hold out for FA, and then turns out someone outbids you for him in free agency, then you are screwed. Also, I hate when you see a guy you REALLY want in FA and then you go to sign him but your roster is full, so you either have to forget it or release a guy for a cap penalty to sign him. If free agency were BEFORE the draft then you could sign your guy then instead of drafting, and signing, that 7th round QB who transfers over to a 67 and is the 3rd or 4th stringer.

And I think when you create a player you should be able to put him into the draft instead of having them signed in free agency.

HysterikiLL
05-06-2006, 03:48 AM
which they FINALLY included (I can't believe it took em this long) and I HOPE it's for current-gen versions too. I have a 360 but I'm getting NCAA and Madden for PS2.

I'm also wondering if the combine thing is just in the superstar mode or if it's in franchise too. I think it'd be awesome if in the superstar mode you went to the combine BEFORE the draft and could raise your stock, or if during the scouting mode in franchise you can choose to do the drills with your 15 prospects, or watch the drills or sim them and see if their stock rises or falls.

I also hope that free agent signings get moved to BEFORE the draft. It is SO annying that it's after the draft, especially if a guy you want at a position you need gets taken in the draft, or you hold out for FA, and then turns out someone outbids you for him in free agency, then you are screwed. Also, I hate when you see a guy you REALLY want in FA and then you go to sign him but your roster is full, so you either have to forget it or release a guy for a cap penalty to sign him. If free agency were BEFORE the draft then you could sign your guy then instead of drafting, and signing, that 7th round QB who transfers over to a 67 and is the 3rd or 4th stringer.

And I think when you create a player you should be able to put him into the draft instead of having them signed in free agency.

:yes: to all of that.

The scouting thing will be good because you can cover all your bases before free agency. It'd be cool to have the draft in the middle of FA so if somebody slipped in the draft you could sign them before making a big name signing.

They probably will only have the combine in superstar, but the college All-Star game should give player rankings or at least an insight..

HugeFinFan
05-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Wow, First thing I'm doing is making a HOF LT in Superstar Mode. I got your back Duante! :yes:

SweetLou
05-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Oh man this is gonna be the best version of Madden ever! Last year was the year of the pass in Madden and this year is the year of the run in Madden. The new highlight stick and better blocking schemes made run-heavy guys like me happy. Plus the unlocking of 160 HOF players in Madden intrigues me. They better have ole Danny boy!

Dolfan11
05-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Looks and sounds great. I play on 360, so the abundance of features their adding really sounds great. I only really have two concerns.

(1) Will we be able to fully edit our players? Everything from position/#/information/attributes/equipment? Is there long hair, dreadlocks? I really care about that, and hope it's implemented.

(2) Will all the teams uniforms be included? Like in the current-gen? Throwbacks and alternates.

Another question I have on the 360. With the mini camp with all the "combine" like drills, will we be able to see the top college prospects do these drills in the offseason prior to the draft? Will we be able to take control of our favorite college player coming out of college, and work him through these drills to better his stock?

And I REALLY hope the hall of fame feature makes the 360.

Dolfan11
05-06-2006, 11:58 AM
It's nice that we have Fred Beasley as our FB to open up the holes for Ronnie. Should be fun!

UCFinfan86
05-06-2006, 01:59 PM
seems really cool, the new superstar mode sounds cool, and i like the combine like thing

banzaitrey
05-06-2006, 04:37 PM
So will all of this be available on the Ps2 or only XBOX 360 and when Ps3 comes out...I will be buying this game for ps2 and ill have it for ps3 when it comes out because i am sure ill have one of those also...

Dors156
05-06-2006, 08:53 PM
whats gen:confused:

Silverphin
05-06-2006, 09:53 PM
whats gen:confused:

Generation.

Current Gen - PS2, Xbox, Nintendo Gamecube

Next Gen - PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii

footballer
05-06-2006, 10:07 PM
yea, the 360 madden was poo compared to the ps2's.... i hope they speed up the gameplay and tighten the controls....oh, and plz let me choose my camera next time..

UCFinfan86
05-07-2006, 12:37 AM
One thing they didnt add whcih would be cool is if you can have a pratice squad for when injuries you can call them up or just to put your 7th round rookies or something, also NFL Eurpoe would be cool to

Dolfan11
05-07-2006, 05:07 PM
The ability to trade future draft picks would be nice.

Mike13
05-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Sounds cool, I like the new drills they will be putting in.

xDOLPHINSx
05-13-2006, 04:07 PM
"It's about being able to establish a running game as part of your offense, and make it a realistic way to dominate opponents by pounding them with players like Alexander and Ronnie Brown."

That's my favorite part, Ronnie is gettin respect. :)

dolphan13
05-14-2006, 06:11 PM
How good will Culpepper be?

Dolfan11
05-14-2006, 06:37 PM
How good will Culpepper be?

I think he'll get a 93 rating. His accuracy/power will probably stay the same, while his awareness will get a slight bump. His speed will take a hit.