PDA

View Full Version : Technical Computer question (CD/DVD Burner)

SCall13
05-07-2006, 08:27 AM
I have a question for you computer geniuses out there: I have always burned CDs and DVDs. Problem is, now my DVD/CD burner won't recognize when I insert a blank CD. It recongizes blank DVDs fine. If I start to burn audio CDs, I'll insert a blank CD and it will simply spit it out and ask me to insert a blank or RW CD. It's weird. I know I never went in a changed any hardware configurations - at least not that I recall. Has anyone else ever had this problem and or/ know how to fix it? Thanks in advance....

cnc66
05-07-2006, 08:32 AM
I had a similar problem that went away on it's own...mostly. I do not know why but it spit out the DVD on me, not the CD.

FIN-IN-RI
05-07-2006, 09:09 AM
I have a question for you computer geniuses out there: I have always burned CDs and DVDs. Problem is, now my DVD/CD burner won't recognize when I insert a blank CD. It recongizes blank DVDs fine. If I start to burn audio CDs, I'll insert a blank CD and it will simply spit it out and ask me to insert a blank or RW CD. It's weird. I know I never went in a changed any hardware configurations - at least not that I recall. Has anyone else ever had this problem and or/ know how to fix it? Thanks in advance....

Have you tried different media? Sometimes there are a few blank CDRs in a lot that you buy that are corrupted.. Either try a different disc or try a different brand.. That's my advice but I'm sure there are other options if you have already experimented with the above.

cnc66
05-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Have you tried different media? Sometimes there are a few blank CDRs in a lot that you buy that are corrupted.. Either try a different disc or try a different brand.. That's my advice but I'm sure there are other options if you have already experimented with the above.

that was my conclusion, that it was the disks themselves..frustrating tho as I am very intimidated by all this.

thanks for responding.

SCall13
05-07-2006, 09:23 AM

The weird thing is, I had burned like 3 or 4 when it happened. It actually stopped working while I was still burning that same night. I thought, at first, that I might have just had a few bad CDs in the pack I bought, but I have tried 10 different ones just to see if that might have been the problem. Unfortunately, it apparently isn't. But thanks for that idea.

Link
05-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Don't take this for fact, but sometimes when you burn a few cds and dvds the laser can get hot or overheated and that can cause it to not read. I am not sure if thats what is happening to you because it sounds like you have tried again since then. What I would do is contact the maker of the computer or the drive if it did not come with the computer.

FIN-IN-RI
05-07-2006, 05:42 PM
The weird thing is, I had burned like 3 or 4 when it happened. It actually stopped working while I was still burning that same night. I thought, at first, that I might have just had a few bad CDs in the pack I bought, but I have tried 10 different ones just to see if that might have been the problem. Unfortunately, it apparently isn't. But thanks for that idea.

I was thinking too..SOmetimes the software will act up.. are you using the same program to burn DVDs as you do CDs? Try a complete uninstall of that program.. maybe it would help narrow the problem down..:confused:

I would use a seperate burner for CDs than DVDs too but that is just me.. too much burning can make the laser and other components of the hardware act a lil crazy.