PDA

View Full Version : Merged: 10,000 Days...

unifiedtheory
05-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Well, after waiting 5 damn years my fave band, hell, the only band that really means anything to me FINALLY released their new record today.

I know some of the TOOL fans on this board have probably had the bootleg/leaked version for weeks but I was happy as hell to wait until today to purchase it...getting the leaked version would have been like opening my Christmas presents 2 weeks before the big day.

This album is like every other TOOL album. It takes multiple listens to figure out what you are getting yourself into. This is NOT a record you put on and find one or two songs you love and play the hell out of them relentlessly. TOOL is not that kind of band, fans will know this. Hell, I still discover new and exciting things about Lateralus all the time and I've listened to it once a week for 5 years.

I'm on my third listen now and I'll just say a few things.

This is a BRILLIANT record. It is NOT a friendly record though. It is very progressive, much more so then anything they've done in the past.

It is much more guitar driven then in the past as well. Adam Jones is more out front and carries much more of the record.

MJK's vocals are more experimental then I've heard. He takes more chances on this record and, in my opinion, his heart is in this record more then any other TOOL release.

Justin's bass work continues to evolve. So much of the bass work on this record remined me of 46 & 2 on steroids.

Danny Carey is his amazing best. At times he blends into the background and just when you forget about him BANG he rises up and carries 3 minute stretches of music. The drum work on "Jambi" (track 2) knocked me out of my chair....BRILLIANT work.

The highlights for me (right now) are Vicarious, Jambi, 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2), The Pot and Right in Two. This will change over time as I get to know this record.

I know it sounds weird when I say "get to know this record" but TOOL fans will know what I am talking about. If you want instant gratification then I don't recommend buying this...TOOL is not that kind of band.

If you are looking for something that you can listen to front to back, discover new things about and, in time, get gratification from everytime you listen to it then I say buy this record.

I was'nt to crazy about Lateralus the first time I listened to it but, after a few weeks it was my favortie record ever.

I'll give 10,000 Days a 9/10 right now...In a month this will be my favorite record. I feel a lot stronger about this record after 3 listens then I did about Lateralus.

Slappy8800
05-02-2006, 09:10 PM
only 5 years? pfft

unifiedtheory
05-02-2006, 09:12 PM
only 5 years? pfft:tongue:

Slappy8800
05-02-2006, 09:15 PM
ims till waiting for chinese democracy

Dubfire
05-02-2006, 09:19 PM
UT,

I ran out during work and bough this and the new PJ. When I got there only 4 left of 10,000 days and 6 PJ. I woulda been pissed had I missed out on one of them.

Anyhow, you are right about Tool. I have not yet had the chance to listen to the entire album but it is very guitar driven which I like.

It's going to take several listens before I can fully digest it which is why this is still one of the few bands who's albums I'll actually go out an "buy" same with PJ.

unifiedtheory
05-02-2006, 09:39 PM
I bought the new Pearl Jam this morning as well...I still have not opened it.

I've heard great things about it (I LOVED Riot Act...I think I'm one of the few who did actually) and I've been looking forward to the new PJ for awhile...

That being said, it will probably stay in the wrapper until my girlfriend says "we've listened to the new TOOL 100 times in a row can we hear something different please".

Buddwalk
05-02-2006, 09:43 PM
send me a couple songs that are good to my email Buddwalk@gmail.com

I'll take a listen and post here if I like or not with evaluation of each song...I might buy the album

COMEBACKRICKY
05-02-2006, 09:51 PM
im gonna give tool a spin, some of my freinds have been recomending them, and now youve made a whole thread dedicated to their new album. hope they wont dissapoint!

Samphin
05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Picked up the album today. The local Tower had it on sale for $10. I thought it was odd due to the demand on the first day. I fully expected to pay upwards of $20 for it. That was a nice surprise.

I enjoy it. Tool is Tool. Very hard to go wrong with them. I recommend it to any Tool fan out there. Of course, Any Tool fan out there already has it.

P.S. if you are waiting for Chinese Democracy, keep waiting. I doubt Axl EVER gets his poop together long enough to finish it.

d-day
05-02-2006, 10:02 PM
(I LOVED Riot Act...I think I'm one of the few who did actually)".

won't argue with that - am i the only one who thought pearl jams last great cd was thier second one "vs." ?

Gonzo
05-02-2006, 10:04 PM
won't argue with that - am i the only one who thought pearl jams last great cd was thier second one "vs." ?

The last one I bought was the 3 disc live album from the free concert they had in Seattle. I may buy this one though. Heard great things.

Dubfire
05-02-2006, 10:05 PM

The 1st three were epic, IMO.

You didnt like Vitalogy?

Gonzo
05-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the review UT. I may actually pay for this one.

d-day
05-02-2006, 10:13 PM
The 1st three were epic, IMO.

You didnt like Vitalogy?

i guess i got a little spoiled with mother love bone - everything after vs seemed a liitte too watered down for my tastes - i like extra goo

extra goo :hi5:

unifiedtheory
05-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the review UT. I may actually pay for this one.

It's well worth it my friend...

The album artwork is so cool.

unifiedtheory
05-02-2006, 10:19 PM

I totally agree with that...

The feeling I got listening to Riot Act was "THIS is the record that should have come out after Vs.".

That is coming from a guy who loved Vitalogy.

BTW...I'm on my 6th spin of 10,000 Days...:lol:

Gonzo
05-02-2006, 10:23 PM
It's well worth it my friend...

The album artwork is so cool.

CD's are just so ****ing fragile. It's especially a problem here with the extreme heat. Even leaving them in the shade inside your car when you go to the store isn't protection enough. If anything I may just download it from itunes.

d-day
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
CD's are just so ****ing fragile. It's especially a problem here with the extreme heat. Even leaving them in the shade inside your car when you go to the store isn't protection enough. If anything I may just download it from itunes.

heat + cd = goo

GRAPEAPE
05-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Ok I love pearl JAm, here's my issue. I want to hear music not Political rhetoric. I love eddie to death but c;mon. I have the same live Cd that Gonzo was gooing about, I love it except for the fact that eddie gets all political. That being said. I still have every album and import. and I will be getting the new one this coming weekend. they are better live than on album IMO. and PS: Vitalogy did suck , and Yield wasn't much better.

dolphinfan2k5
05-02-2006, 11:29 PM
So, I've never listened to TOOL before or heard that much about them outside of here. What genre are they, I might have to take a listen.

dolfan72734me
05-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, after waiting 5 damn years my fave band, hell, the only band that really means anything to me FINALLY released their new record today.

I know some of the TOOL fans on this board have probably had the bootleg/leaked version for weeks but I was happy as hell to wait until today to purchase it...getting the leaked version would have been like opening my Christmas presents 2 weeks before the big day.

This album is like every other TOOL album. It takes multiple listens to figure out what you are getting yourself into. This is NOT a record you put on and find one or two songs you love and play the hell out of them relentlessly. TOOL is not that kind of band, fans will know this. Hell, I still discover new and exciting things about Lateralus all the time and I've listened to it once a week for 5 years.

I'm on my third listen now and I'll just say a few things.

This is a BRILLIANT record. It is NOT a friendly record though. It is very progressive, much more so then anything they've done in the past.

It is much more guitar driven then in the past as well. Adam Jones is more out front and carries much more of the record.

MJK's vocals are more experimental then I've heard. He takes more chances on this record and, in my opinion, his heart is in this record more then any other TOOL release.

Justin's bass work continues to evolve. So much of the bass work on this record remined me of 46 & 2 on steroids.

Danny Carey is his amazing best. At times he blends into the background and just when you forget about him BANG he rises up and carries 3 minute stretches of music. The drum work on "Jambi" (track 2) knocked me out of my chair....BRILLIANT work.

The highlights for me (right now) are Vicarious, Jambi, 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2), The Pot and Right in Two. This will change over time as I get to know this record.

I know it sounds weird when I say "get to know this record" but TOOL fans will know what I am talking about. If you want instant gratification then I don't recommend buying this...TOOL is not that kind of band.

If you are looking for something that you can listen to front to back, discover new things about and, in time, get gratification from everytime you listen to it then I say buy this record.

I was'nt to crazy about Lateralus the first time I listened to it but, after a few weeks it was my favortie record ever.

I'll give 10,000 Days a 9/10 right now...In a month this will be my favorite record. I feel a lot stronger about this record after 3 listens then I did about Lateralus.
Man, the best from him IMO is Ticks and Leeches.
I will be buying the cd soon, probably this coming up weekend. God, I still remember listening to Opiate and being excited about the release of Undertow. Where has the time gone?http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

dolfan72734me
05-02-2006, 11:33 PM
I guess I am just different. I really didn't like anything from PJ after TEN.:confused2

unifiedtheory
05-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Man, the best from him IMO is Ticks and Leeches.
I will be buying the cd soon, probably this coming up weekend. God, I still remember listening to Opiate and being excited about the release of Undertow. Where has the time gone?http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/dolfan72734me/46.gif
My personal Danny Carey highlight reel is Lateralus, The Patient, Ticks and Leeches and The Grudge.

All those tunes offer something different from odd timing to straight ahead kick *** power...best drummer alive in my opinion.

unifiedtheory
05-02-2006, 11:57 PM
So, I've never listened to TOOL before or heard that much about them outside of here. What genre are they, I might have to take a listen.

Progressive rock/metal. I know it can be argued whether or not they are metal ( I'll leave that debate for Pagan :wink: ).

They're just different in my opinion and like I said, they are pretty much the only band I REALLY care about.

If you want a sample go to wherever you do your downloading from (if you do....and I am not condoning it incidentially) and start with:

Stinkfist, Sober, Aenema, Opiate, Prison Sex, 46 & 2, Eulogy, Lateralus, Schism and Vicarious...those would give you a wide sampling. You might hear something you like. :D

unifiedtheory
05-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Hey, I just noticed I'm over 7,000 posts...WOW do I need a hobby. :lol:

dominizzo
05-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Congrats 7 k posts

Dubfire
05-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Ok I love pearl JAm, here's my issue. I want to hear music not Political rhetoric. I love eddie to death but c;mon. I have the same live Cd that Gonzo was gooing about, I love it except for the fact that eddie gets all political. That being said. I still have every album and import. and I will be getting the new one this coming weekend. they are better live than on album IMO. and PS: Vitalogy did suck , and Yield wasn't much better.

The other side of the coin is that Pearl Jam has won over a lor of fans because of their lyrics and yes at times many of them can be very political. Look at Vs. They were pissed of then and they are pissed off now. Who wouldnt be? Pearl Jam has always stood for something and they have nevee hidden the fact. I can understand how that may turn some people off but it's alwys been this way.

GRAPEAPE
05-03-2006, 08:41 AM
The other side of the coin is that Pearl Jam has won over a lor of fans because of their lyrics and yes at times many of them can be very political. Look at Vs. They were pissed of then and they are pissed off now. Who wouldnt be? Pearl Jam has always stood for something and they have nevee hidden the fact. I can understand how that may turn some people off but it's alwys been this way.Part of me is happy that they are firm on their stances. They do not buy into what is "pop" to sell albums. At the same time, I want to hear passionate music(which all of it is) not Eddie standing on stage teling me his views on politics, i go to a concert to hear music. I saw them at the World in Chicago in 1998-99 and Eddie stood on stage for twenty mins. and rambled on about nothing. Only people in the first 20 rows could even hear him. The whole time Mccready and Stone were tapping their feet waiting for him to stop. IMO you can get your political views accross in your music you don't have to bore the crowd to death talking. Doesn't mean I don't love PJ cause I do, I just wish Eddie would relax on the politics

Gonzo
05-06-2006, 11:48 PM
So, this is the first CD I've actually paid for in a while. They deserve it. UT is 100% correct. Everytime I listen to it is better than the last.

DearbornDolfan
05-07-2006, 01:54 AM
Well, with this enthusiastic a review I just might go out and buy the album; I like Laterallus but I never purchased it.

I heard Pearl Jam for the first time the other day and I'm an most underwhelmed. Maybe it's my preferences in music, but their music just doesn't strike me as anything special. My biggest gripe is that the lyrics aren't very understandable without a lyrics sheet in front of me; maybe if the lead singer didn't sound like he was really high on pot I'd feel differently. Well, probably not, considering I ****ing hate political music.

unifiedtheory
05-07-2006, 02:15 AM
Well, with this enthusiastic a review I just might go out and buy the album; I like Laterallus but I never purchased it.

I heard Pearl Jam for the first time the other day and I'm an most underwhelmed. Maybe it's my preferences in music, but their music just doesn't strike me as anything special. My biggest gripe is that the lyrics aren't very understandable without a lyrics sheet in front of me; maybe if the lead singer didn't sound like he was really high on pot I'd feel differently. Well, probably not, considering I ****ing hate political music.

If you've never heard Pearl Jam before then I recommend you go and buy/listen to "Ten". THAT is Pearl Jam. Everything they've done since, even though I like a ton of it pales in comparison.

lazareth
05-07-2006, 02:36 AM
If you've never heard Pearl Jam before then I recommend you go and buy/listen to "Ten". THAT is Pearl Jam. Everything they've done since, even though I like a ton of it pales in comparison.
"Ten" was such a great album...they had such a unique style that was refreshing in the grung rock genre they were lumped into.

DearbornDolfan
05-07-2006, 02:39 AM

Will do. I'll check out just about anything from somebody that likes Lateralus.

NaboCane
05-07-2006, 04:03 PM
You said Tool (http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/42359/Sounds/beavis%20butthead%20laugh.wav)...

Metal Panda
05-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Here's what I think--

It's definitely enjoyable. I like the vocals and instrumentation.

However, I don't think Tool truly have the chops to take it to the level they're trying to take it to. They're not REALLY a progressive band, and sometimes their more epic tracks meander a little bit as it's not really their forte.

However, that being said, other than the fact that they're not King Crimson, I think it's a pretty solid album on the first few listens, with a nice atmosphere. Part of me misses the songs like "Eulogy" but then again, I can play them whenever I want to.

Metal Panda
05-07-2006, 04:45 PM

I dunno, I still think Ten is my favorite but Riot Act, Vitalogy, and Vs. are all extremely solid.

Metal Panda
05-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I bought the new Pearl Jam this morning as well...I still have not opened it.

I've heard great things about it (I LOVED Riot Act...I think I'm one of the few who did actually)

It's OUT ALREADY? Jesus I'm out of the loop. Damn you, now one more thing I have to go into my wallet for. But not until I've gotten accustomed to the new Tool first.

BTW, I thought Riot Act was fantastic. I thought they eschewed a lot of their excesses and filler and concentrated on writing tight, well written songs. Eddie didn't yell as much, which was a surprise, but I was extremely impressed with Riot Act when it came out.

FinsNCanes
05-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Just curious to see if it's any good.

Rocky Raccoon
05-07-2006, 09:49 PM
I remember unified said he picked it up and he said it was fantastic

lazareth
05-08-2006, 01:02 AM
I dunno, I still think Ten is my favorite but Riot Act, Vitalogy, and Vs. are all extremely solid.
color me crazy but i actually liked vitalogy too

Dubfire
05-08-2006, 10:40 PM
"Ten" was such a great album...they had such a unique style that was refreshing in the grung rock genre they were lumped into.

Ten was and still is an incredible achievement in music.

And this new Tool album, with some time, will be there as well.

After about a week of digesting it, the wait was worth it. Both lyrically and musically.

The new Pearl Jam is really beginning to grow on me too. But 10,000 Days is better at this point IMO.

Shula Come Back!
05-08-2006, 10:53 PM
I saw that this thread is all about the new Pearl Jam and Tool albums so I thought I'd chime in...I am a big PJ fan so I like most of their work....The only LP I tought that was kind of weak was Binaural (except nothing as it seems and a couple of others)...but I will agree that their best work is of course the Ten, Vs, Vitalogy era...The new album, although not as good as those three, I feel is strong and definitely better tahn their last two and I liked Riot Act a lot.....As far as Tool goes, I just got it and am about halfway through it now...It's typical Tool...dark, heavy, long, weird....and I love it...I think by waiting so much time between albums it makes you crave their sound and I'm digging the new LP so far!