PDA

View Full Version : Books I should Read..

GreenMonster
05-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Guys, I love reading or listening to audiobooks most of the time and I am looking for some good new books to read.. I am reading "The Game" right now which is a great book about the worlds best pickup artists.. I have Game of Shadows also to read.. Anyone else know any good books I should pickup, I read almost anything..

Rocky Raccoon
05-07-2006, 10:10 PM
read less, more TV

:wink:

GreenMonster
05-07-2006, 10:11 PM
read less, more TV

:wink:

If there was anything good on TV I would watch it...

King Felix
05-07-2006, 10:12 PM
books? :nono:

GreenMonster
05-07-2006, 10:13 PM
books? :nono:

Knowledge is the key to money..

Rocky Raccoon
05-07-2006, 10:13 PM
If there was anything good on TV I would watch it...

:lol:

there was this one book my dad just read and he said it was amazing...I'll try to get the title for you

King Felix
05-07-2006, 10:15 PM
id read sports books like auto biographys or a book about a famous coach.

themole
05-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Guys, I love reading or listening to audiobooks most of the time and I am looking for some good new books to read.. I am reading "The Game" right now which is a great book about the worlds best pickup artists.. I have Game of Shadows also to read.. Anyone else know any good books I should pickup, I read almost anything..

I've been enjoying these.

www.docford.com/

maddendude
05-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Im keeping a list of books that im gonna read in the summer, here it is so far:
-Game of Shadows
-Baseball Between the Numbers
-Moneyball
-Baseball Hacks
-Open Target
-The Stand
-The Godfather, for the 3rd time

King Felix
05-07-2006, 10:25 PM
those bonds books

GreenMonster
05-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Im keeping a list of books that im gonna read in the summer, here it is so far:
-Game of Shadows
-Baseball Between the Numbers
-Moneyball
-Baseball Hacks
-Open Target
-The Stand
-The Godfather, for the 3rd time

I read Moneyball and if you like baseball, that book gets an A+..

King Felix
05-07-2006, 10:27 PM
moneyball? whats it about?

edit: well obviously its about baseball but is it like non fiction or fiction?

Gonzo
05-07-2006, 10:27 PM
TV has it's value, but to disregard books is a disservice to yourself.

What kinds of things are you interested in reading GM? One of my favorite kinds is historical fiction. They tell about real events through fictional characters or through fictional accounts by characters. Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield is an excellent example. It's an easy and fun read about the Battle of Thermopylae in which 300 Spartans led approximately 9,000 Greek troops against a Persian Army of over 5 million. Quite possibly the most important battle of Western civilization.

GreenMonster
05-07-2006, 10:31 PM

What kinds of things are you interested in reading GM? One of my favorite kinds is historical fiction. They tell about real events through fictional characters or through fictional accounts by characters. Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield is an excellent example. It's an easy and fun read about the Battle of Thermopylae in which 300 Spartans led approximately 9,000 Greek troops against a Persian Army of over 5 million. Quite possibly the most important battle of Western civilization.

I will have to check those out.. I love history channel shows on the military, conspiracy's, important events, and unexplained things.. 7 wonders of the world type stuff.. Sports books, and lately a bunch of self development, mind stuff.. Things to make me more productive and so forth.. I am also very interested in business and notorious characters..

TJamesW_phinfan
05-07-2006, 11:18 PM
I've been enjoying these.

www.docford.com/ (http://www.docford.com/)

:yeahthat: His fiction and non fiction are great for Florida and adventure/travel tales.

Horror ...King, Straub, Barker, older Koontz
Fantasy ...Eddings, Jordon, Salvatore, Stashiff
SciFi ...Clark, Heinlein, Asimov
Pop Adventure/Suspense ...Crichton (older stuff Eaters of The Dead, Timeline etc.), White, Ludlum

And many, many others.

Go to your neighborhood bookstore specially if you have a mom-and-pop type that is successful and has been around for a while. Talk to the people browsing and definitely talk to the owner. A good bookstore owner is an avid reader and also listens to his/her customer’s comments on books new and old. They will be able to recommend authors you may not be familiar with that are like ones you do like. A used bookstore can be a treasure chest for readers who may have missed great books their first run and or are out of print or not commonly stocked. A good used bookstore will be clean and have books that are in good shape.

Also experiment a little. Buy some stuff off the bargain rack that seems interesting if it turns out that you don’t like it after a few chapters you haven’t lost much money.

I used to own a bookstore. I got burned out on the business but still love to read. There are good movies and TV shows but none can match a well written novel or short story, to me at least. Good luck with it. :)

Megatron
05-07-2006, 11:24 PM
Still life for a Woodpecker
Stranger in a Strange Land
Journey to the East
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance
The Handmaids tale

lots of good stuff out there, here's some I thought you may have missed.

Roman529
05-07-2006, 11:25 PM
Read the DaVinci Code...good book. I also like books by Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Robert Ludlum, Clive Cussler, and LeCarre. Beats tv most of
the time.

Perfect23
05-07-2006, 11:28 PM
My prison without bars by Pete Rose.

maddendude
05-07-2006, 11:57 PM
I read Moneyball and if you like baseball, that book gets an A+..

I love baseball.

Anywhoo, from what I hear, Moneyball is about how small market teams compete with big market teams...and i heard it focuses alot on billy beane.

GreenMonster
05-07-2006, 11:58 PM
I love baseball.

Anywhoo, from what I hear, Moneyball is about how small market teams compete with big market teams...and i heard it focuses alot on billy beane.

Thats exactly what its about, but its so in depth.. I loved it..

Miamian
05-08-2006, 04:26 AM
I prefer classics, my favorite of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo. Also, Les Miserables is really good. A good historical fiction novel I read a few years ago is Black Rain, about the bombing of Hiroshima.

PassRush
05-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Kill Two Birds and get Stoned- Kinky Friedmen

The Bible- Gods friends

Mindwarp
05-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever - 3 or 4 books can't remember
Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever - 3 books
Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever Series - 1 of 4 books out

Divinci Code as someone recommended is also excellent

Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter series is also good :)

I recently Read the Chronicles of Narnia - Pretty basic you can read the series in a day.

TotoreMexico
05-08-2006, 10:19 AM
Divinci Code as someone recommended is also excellent

Lord of the Rings

I recently Read the Chronicles of Narnia - Pretty basic you can read the series in a day.

I like them:yes:

Mindwarp
05-08-2006, 10:26 AM
if you like Epic Fantasy I highly recomend all 3 chronicals of Thomas Covenant

Donaldson is really discriptive so you allways feel like your right there.

GRAPEAPE
05-08-2006, 10:27 AM
[quote=Mindwarp]

quote] I like them.
I would also add the entire Dune series By Frank herbert, then later on by his son. Dune
Children of dune
House harkonnen
House Atriedes
The Great Jihad
Lots of others.

dQbell
05-08-2006, 10:40 AM

"Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl

Probably one of the best books I have ever read. Frankl wrote other books after this, but this book is his most noted. It's a short book, but has a tremondous message. If you haven't already, check it out.

GCD960
05-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Atlas Shrugged-GREAT book.

A survey was done with the CEO's of all the Fortune 500 Companies a few years back and Atlas Shrugged was the Book that was picked the most.

It is loong book but worh it.

themole
05-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Still life for a Woodpecker
Stranger in a Strange Land
Journey to the East
Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance
The Handmaids tale

lots of good stuff out there, here's some I thought you may have missed.

Great Book!

Nappy Roots
05-08-2006, 11:31 AM
i really hate reading, but i read Moneyball, and that is a great book!

Amars
05-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Stiff: The curious life of human cadaver
The Great Influenza

These are crazy book. I enjoyed reading them. My wife is med student so she alway read these types of books.

ChrisKo
05-08-2006, 12:33 PM
I love the following 3 authors.

Clive Barker (Horror) [Fantasy with Imajica]
William Gibson (SciFi)
Brett Easton Ellis (Fiction) [Mostly Gen-X 80's stories]

miamikid92
05-08-2006, 12:55 PM
The Transall Saga

best book i've read

dolphan117
05-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Everything that Tom Clancy wrote by himself. He co-wrote some short books that weren't nearly as good though they were still readable. He writes mostly military/espionage fiction although he has done several nonfiction books as well on different branches of the military. Best military fiction writer I have ever read by a country mile.

Gonzo
05-08-2006, 01:29 PM
My personal favorites:
1984 -George Orwell
Divine Comedy -Dante Alighieri
The Prince -Machiavelli
Anything by Chuck Palahniuk (wrote Fight Club)
Anything by Umberto Eco
Anything by Thomas Pynchon
The Hitchhiker's Guide Series -Douglas Adams

I am also a huge fan of Stephen King (especially the Dark Tower Series) and Anne Rice. Koontz too, though I haven't read any newer stuff. Icebound is definetly a favorite.

The list could go on because I read a lot. The bold ones are easier reads for those that don't read often.

Miamian
05-08-2006, 02:50 PM
Atlas Shrugged-GREAT book.

A survey was done with the CEO's of all the Fortune 500 Companies a few years back and Atlas Shrugged was the Book that was picked the most.

It is loong book but worh it.
How would you describe the ease in reading it? I read The Fountainhead, also by Ayn Rand. Man, I like irony in a book, but in every other sentence was overkill.

themole
05-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Read the DaVinci Code...good book. I also like books by Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Robert Ludlum, Clive Cussler, and LeCarre. Beats tv most of
the time.

Me, Dirk, Al and Admiral Sandecker have fought the wars of NUMA together for many years.:D

GreenMonster
05-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Here are some good books I enjoyed..

Art of the Steal - Frank Abagnale
Brining Down the House, Busting Vegas - Ben Mezich
Killing Pablo, Finders Keepers - Mark Bowden
The Takedown - Rick Cowan
The Millionaire Next Door - Thomas J. Stanley
Freakonomics - Steven D. Levett.
Moneyball -

TJamesW_phinfan
05-08-2006, 04:28 PM
My personal favorites:
1984 -George Orwell
Divine Comedy -Dante Alighieri
The Prince -Machiavelli
Anything by Chuck Palahniuk (wrote Fight Club)
Anything by Umberto Eco
Anything by Thomas Pynchon
The Hitchhiker's Guide Series -Douglas Adams

I am also a huge fan of Stephen King (especially the Dark Tower Series) and Anne Rice. Koontz too, though I haven't read any newer stuff. Icebound is definetly a favorite.

The list could go on because I read a lot. The bold ones are easier reads for those that don't read often.

Divine Comedy is a whole other vein I had not considered. That was good and it reminded me how I also enjoyed Paradise Lost and Beowulf. Although depending on the translation Beowulf can be a bit tedious. Michael Chrichtons Eaters of the Dead was actully based on a true story taken from an old arabs journal from around 922 AD. Some speculate it was also based on Beowulf. The movie The 13th Warrior is based on Chrichton's novel. The Vikings were a tough lot. Something Wicked This Way Comes was good too.

Jt0323
05-08-2006, 04:48 PM
i watched a moive last night based on this book...a Time to kill...u ever read it? the moive was good...i heard the book was also good

COMEBACKRICKY
05-08-2006, 04:50 PM
2 recent books ive read are a clockwork orange and the rescue by nicholas sparks. a clockwork orange is a really interesting book, but be sure to get the 'resucked' edition which includes the previously unrelased 21st chapter. and the rescue is probaly sparks' best book. (in my opinion)

WharfRat
05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Anything by:

Elmore Leonard
Robert Ludlum
Umberto Eco
Douglas Adams

Scrap
05-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I read the whole New Testament. Pretty educational.

Anything about Gandhi or by the Dalai Llama is good.

Nick Saban's book was good.

Motivational books by Anthony Robbins are good.

I can't read fictional books. It just seems like a waste, when you can watch a movie.

TJamesW_phinfan
05-08-2006, 07:15 PM
i watched a moive last night based on this book...a Time to kill...u ever read it? the moive was good...i heard the book was also good

The book is better they always are because so much has to be changed or left out to fit into a single movie. It was written by John Grisham. He also did The Firm, The Chamber, and Pelican Brief that were also movies and more titles. He writes legal based mystery / suspense. A Time To KIll was one of if not his first novel before he made it big. He sold self published copies out of his trunk. If you find one of the original first print hardbacks it is worth a few thousand dollars or was a few years ago probably more these days.

FinFan72
05-08-2006, 07:46 PM
I read J.A. Jance Novels

Metal Panda
05-08-2006, 07:56 PM
It's Genital Warts, Charlie Brown!

GCD960
05-11-2006, 09:29 PM
How would you describe the ease in reading it? I read The Fountainhead, also by Ayn Rand. Man, I like irony in a book, but in every other sentence was overkill.

I say Fountainhead is the shorter version of Atlas Shrugged so.....

3rd and long
05-12-2006, 02:35 PM
I like a good P.I. novel. Recently I've read "Dancing Bear" by James Crumley, which is excellent. Also, "The Long Goodbye" by Raymond Chandler is exceptional.

themole
05-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I like a good P.I. novel. Recently I've read "Dancing Bear" by James Crumley, which is excellent. Also, "The Long Goodbye" by Raymond Chandler is exceptional.

Do you mean like "Travis Mcgee" by John D McDonald? If so, try this. www.docford.com

Read them in order if possible. Randy Wayne White just finished his 13th Doc Ford novel. His latest is 17 on the NYT best seller list. You will find them fun and a little educational.

dolfan72734me
05-12-2006, 04:54 PM

You would enjoy "Aztec" by by Gary Jennings. One of the best books I have read, and I have read alot.

Gonzo
05-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Anything by:

Elmore Leonard
Robert Ludlum
Umberto Eco
Douglas Adams

:yes: add those two to my list too.

Gonzo
05-12-2006, 05:00 PM
You would enjoy "Aztec" by by Gary Jennings. One of the best books I have read, and I have read alot.

I will check those out. Look like Wilbur Smith style books. Another favorite.

dolfan72734me
05-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Alot of horror authors have been named. I would also add Robert McCammon. I really enjoyed his books. Fav was called "Swansong"
For fantasy, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Also Tolkien, and not only the "LOTR" trilogy. The "Silmarillion" was excellent, as well as "The Histories of Middle Earth" books.

bullseyeguy
05-12-2006, 06:12 PM
I will add James Patterson to the list, he has some great legal thrillers....

ricky williams
05-12-2006, 06:13 PM
that was a good book. historical fiction is cool. all quiet on the western front is also good historical fiction.

earl the pearl
05-12-2006, 11:56 PM
right now i'm reading "catcher in the rye"...i like it a lot.

some of the best non fiction books i've read recently

-freakonomics *GREAT BOOK* absolutely awesome
-the fabric of the cosmos- presents a lot of really interesting theories and questions about the universe/ physics

dolfan72734me
05-13-2006, 12:00 AM
James Redfield's "Celestine Prophecy" and the follow ups to it were interesting. Graham Hancock, Zecharia Zitchin, Robert Bauval, and Carl Sagan all have some interesting books.

GreenMonster
05-13-2006, 12:03 AM
-freakonomics *GREAT BOOK* absolutely awesome

I too had this on my list of books I loved.. I could read about that stuff all day long..

like2god
05-13-2006, 12:18 AM

Fingerprints of the Gods-Graham Hancock

It's a book about man's lost history and the ruins and beliefs that they had and how that relates to our future. It ties together religions and civilizations and gives possible answers as to how we came to be. If you are into Egypt and the Pyramids, the ancient Mayans, and Humanities rise and fall, then this is a good book for you.

like2god
05-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Also, any book by H.G.Wells and Jules Verne is a good read.

like2god
05-13-2006, 12:21 AM
The Monuments of Mars- by Richard Hoagland

Another good one

dolfan72734me
05-13-2006, 12:40 AM
The Monuments of Mars- by Richard Hoagland

Another good one
:yes:

Quelonio
05-13-2006, 02:29 AM
[quote=Mindwarp]

quote] I like them.
I would also add the entire Dune series By Frank herbert, then later on by his son. Dune
Children of dune
House harkonnen
House Atriedes
The Great Jihad
Lots of others.

As much as i love the first dune book, and really like the rest of the original series. I personally feel that the ones that his son has written are teriibly written, and are fairly dissappointing... but that is just me. If you like Science Fiction, you cant go wrong with reading Ender's Game, it is the first of a series (I'm afraid I have not read the others so I wouldn't be able to tell you if they are good). Highly recommendable.

You could try Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Anansi Boys. They are fun fantasies that do not go overboard, but actually create a mythology inside america. interesting books.

I really recomend Down and Dirty Pictures if you are at all interested in history of cinema, it is a darn good history of the 90's independent movement. Now you could also read Easy Riders, Raging Bulls if your interest is more around 70's cinema.

Getting Mothers Body is an awesome book too.

YYou should really listen to miamian and read Count of Montecristo, but also give a try to queen Margot also by Salgari.