PDA

View Full Version : Any Tom Waits Fans?

Maynard the Hammer
05-08-2006, 12:46 AM
i think he is pretty obscure. i got to him in degree of seperation way.

ih8brady's avatar is of actor yaphet koto, who played in the great tv show homicide: life on the street, which reminded me of a tom waits song called "cold cold ground" that was played at the end of a season finale. it was a pretty powerful scene that stuck in my mind

i got the album that "cold cold ground" was on named frank's wild years. pretty odd music and distinct vocals, but it has a certain quality to it.

if anyone has opinions of waits, i'd like to hear it :)

NaboCane
05-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Waits is one of the true geniuses working in music. A lot of folks are put off by his voice, which I admit is just god-awful. But the thing is, when you hear a cover of any of his songs done by anyone who can sing well, you realize that this eclectic, wondeful man could have a career much like Kris Kristofferson, who wrote a lot of songs you've heard but didn't know were his.

I can get past the voice now, but I'd still love to hear a tribute album - no, a box set - to Waits done by different artists. In particular I'd be interested to hear what diverse artists like, say, Dr. Dre and Counting Crows could do with his songs.

Check out Sarah McLachlan's Freedom Sessions album; it's an album of studio cuts for her third album, and there's some neat experimental stuff there. On one cut she covers Waits' 'Ol 55. It's a beautiful, heartfelt rendition.

Gonzo
05-08-2006, 01:57 AM
Waits is one of the true geniuses working in music. A lot of folks are put off by his voice, which I admit is just god-awful. But the thing is, when you hear a cover of any of his songs done by anyone who can sing well, you realize that this eclectic, wondeful man could have a career much like Kris Kristofferson, who wrote a lot of songs you've heard but didn't know were his.

I can get past the voice now, but I'd still love to hear a tribute album - no, a box set - to Waits done by different artists. In particular I'd be interested to hear what diverse artists like, say, Dr. Dre and Counting Crows could do with his songs.

Check out Sarah McLachlan's Freedom Sessions album; it's an album of studio cuts for her third album, and there's some neat experimental stuff there. On one cut she covers Waits' 'Ol 55. It's a beautiful, heartfelt rendition.

Exactly my stance on him. He is awesome. Did you see him in Coffee and Cigarettes with Iggy Pop?