PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever experience a tornado?

SCall13
05-08-2006, 07:25 PM
I have this fascination with weather, especially tornados. Just curious if anyone has experienced one. By experienced one, I don't necassarily mean did one hit your home. I just mean have you seen one, chased one, ran from one, took shelter from one....
I have experienced a few. The most recent was 3 summers ago when we had a train of severe storms move through. I actually watched a tornado from about 300 yards away. It was pretty amazing. I'm sure alot of you guys who are from the mid-west area have alot of tornado experience....

FIN-IN-RI
05-08-2006, 07:36 PM
I never have but when I was younger I was very scared of them even though they never come around here..

I'm with you though, I love the weather and all of its phenomenae... I'm a big fan of thunderstorms. Fun stuff when no one gets hurt. :yes:

cnc66
05-08-2006, 07:57 PM
first close call was hurricane Cleo. Came down the block wrecking things and jumped over our house and got a tree in the front yard before moving on tearing up roofs had throwing cars around.

1998? One that sounded so much like the trains that passed by that I almost got hurt. I had the slider open, I was coercing some wild kittens into eating inside. The train sound got louder and louder and all of a sudden leaves and dirt start flying into the house from the six inch gap in the door. The stuff came in in the same shape as the opening. As I ran to the door to shut it everything outside started slamming into the walls and door, I turned and ran away and around a corner to escape what i thought was surely to be 40 square feet of broken glass coming in, but the door held. The noise became unbelievable loud, I opened the front door as the noise diminished but I was to early, it returned in the front, snapped a thirty foot palm and threw coconuts all over. Broke a car window, dented my truck bed, hit the house right next to my stoopid head. Finally it ceased...25 seconds of terror. My fascination and stupidity almost got me hurt.

I had a waterspout cross the river a quarter mile to my south last summer, I took some pics but they did not turn out very good.

SCall13
05-08-2006, 08:11 PM
first close call was hurricane Cleo. Came down the block wrecking things and jumped over our house and got a tree in the front yard before moving on tearing up roofs had throwing cars around.

1998? One that sounded so much like the trains that passed by that I almost got hurt. I had the slider open, I was coercing some wild kittens into eating inside. The train sound got louder and louder and all of a sudden leaves and dirt start flying into the house from the six inch gap in the door. The stuff came in in the same shape as the opening. As I ran to the door to shut it everything outside started slamming into the walls and door, I turned and ran away and around a corner to escape what i thought was surely to be 40 square feet of broken glass coming in, but the door held. The noise became unbelievable loud, I opened the front door as the noise diminished but I was to early, it returned in the front, snapped a thirty foot palm and threw coconuts all over. Broke a car window, dented my truck bed, hit the house right next to my stoopid head. Finally it ceased...25 seconds of terror. My fascination and stupidity almost got me hurt.

I had a waterspout cross the river a quarter mile to my south last summer, I took some pics but they did not turn out very good.

That's an awesome story. Pretty intense. I lived in Charleston, SC when Hurricane Hugo hit. IT spawned alot of twisters, but I didn't see any. Hell, Hugo was bad enough. An interesting tidbit: In my backyard we had a shed, Hugo ripped the shed away. I never saw it again. But 95% of the sheds content was still sitting almost exactly like it was sitting inside the shed. That was the weirdest thing.

I fished alot in Charleston, even sometimes with storms approaching. I saw alot of water spouts. They are pretty cool to watch.

Maynard the Hammer
05-08-2006, 09:14 PM

I had a waterspout cross the river a quarter mile to my south last summer, I took some pics but they did not turn out very good.whoa

Roman529
05-08-2006, 11:06 PM
My dad retired from the Air Force at McConnell AFB in Wichita, Kansas in the mid-70's.....a tornado came right over the base one evening right as the sun was going down. I could see the transformers exploding from about 2-3 miles away. Another tornado hit the town of Derby, Kansas a few years ago and I think it totalled the town. I have only seen one tornado here in Colorado Springs....about 20 years ago....it came down but did not touch the ground. I have been in two hurricanes, but no floods, or earthquakes.

byroan
05-08-2006, 11:08 PM
I love storms as well. Everytime one is happening here, I'm sitting at a window watching it. :lol:

lazareth
05-08-2006, 11:35 PM
i've seen a twister in the distance before but that's it...living near the coast of NC we go through at least one hurricane a year it seems

Samphin
05-08-2006, 11:56 PM
The company I work for at one time, was developing a "Tornado Proof Room." Actually, it was/is real hush/hush stuff. However, I was able to sit in on testing one day. In fact, I got to launch a and 8 foot 2x4 100mph through walls, windows, etc. You think a fastball is fast at 100 mph.

icephinfan
05-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Not a tornado, but a few wicked earthquakes!!!

dolfan72734me
05-09-2006, 03:09 AM
3 twisters and many waterspouts

LtDan
05-09-2006, 07:26 AM
I lived for 5 1/2 years in Wichita, Kansas....dead in tornado alley and never actually saw one. Had some tear up some things in the area but never saw one. Not that I am complaining!

Miamian
05-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Do you remember the tornado that touched down in downtown Miami about 5 years ago. I used to work on the 12th floor of the Government Center and I'll never forget seeing it form. You first saw leaves swirling through the air even that high. Then a couple hundred feet above and next to the building the weather was churning with around. It looked as if an enormous invisible hand were stirring it like a stew and you couldn't help but stare at it. Then you could see the funnel, a perfect cone, coming down, magnificent and terrible at the same time.

cnc66
05-09-2006, 03:21 PM
yea, I think the helicopter video from that is still around.Awesome viewing position, in a chopper.

cnc66
05-09-2006, 03:24 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/19970512miami-1.jpg

TotoreMexico
05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/weather/tornado/cities/1997-05-12-miami.jpg

:eek:

Miamian
05-09-2006, 03:30 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/weather/tornado/cities/1997-05-12-miami.jpg
That's the one.

cnc66
05-09-2006, 03:32 PM
That's the one.

where were you relative to it in that shot?

dolphinkev
05-09-2006, 03:36 PM
i have see a tornado in southern georgia,experianced floods and blizzards growing up in ohio. felt and earthquake in arkansas, saw a volcano erupt in the phillipines & too top it all off i lived in homestead fl during hurricane andrew and lost everything i owned. all of these i experianced will i was on active duty in the air force.

Miamian
05-09-2006, 03:41 PM
where were you relative to it in that shot?Do you see the Metrorail on the extreme left (west) side of the picture? The building is just to the west of that. The tornado had moved east for a few minutes when that shot was taken.