PDA

View Full Version : Best grunge band of the 90's..

HysterikiLL
05-09-2006, 01:41 AM
I said the 90's, because I'm not counting this horrible hippy Nickelback crap..

dolfan72734me
05-09-2006, 01:45 AM
I had to say soundgarden, then Pearl Jam. I think all of them did some good and did some bad. One of the best lp's ever though was singles.

Agent51
05-09-2006, 01:47 AM
Not a grunge fan, but I have to say Soundgarden. Nirvana is one of THE most overrated bands in HISTORY IMHO. I never really cared for Pearl Jam, but Alice In Chains was pretty good

bullseyeguy
05-09-2006, 01:49 AM
Nirvana invented grunge....But all those bands are great!

Samphin
05-09-2006, 01:52 AM
It is Nirvana. Stop the madness. It can't be anyone BUT Nirvana. End of poll. The fact that Cobain killed himself in 94 yet his songs are still played in heavy rotation on modern rock stations is a testament to their influence.

dolfan72734me
05-09-2006, 01:54 AM
It is Nirvana. Stop the madness. It can't be anyone BUT Nirvana. End of poll. The fact that Cobain killed himself in 94 yet his songs are still played in heavy rotation on modern rock stations is a testament to their influence.
Or a testament to just how much todays sations and music suck:lol:

d-day
05-09-2006, 01:59 AM
for my cash...

alice in chains
soundgarden
mother love bone

nivana didn't invent grunge - they just were the first to make a splash on mtv

unifiedtheory
05-09-2006, 02:48 AM
for my cash...

alice in chains
soundgarden
mother love bone

nivana didn't invent grunge - they just were the first to make a splash on mtv
Mudhoney, Green River, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr.....they were the bands that paved the way for the bands you listed in the poll.

D-Day is right, Nirvava did not "invent" grunge...they were just the first band to make money playing that style of music. Green River (who later became parts of Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone and Mookie Blaylock who later became Pearl Jam) were the first "grunge" band. In fact their singer coined the term.

To be honest, the only band I consider "grunge" from the poll in Nirvana. In the 90's it got to the point that anyband from Seattle, no matter what they sounded like got called "grunge".

Alice in Chains was a metal band, as was Soundgarden in my opinion. Pearl Jam has always been a straight ahead rock band in my opinion.

My fave is Alice in Chains...and it is not even close. I love all the bands listed in the poll but none of them touch Alice.

BTW...don't utter the word "Nickelback" in the same sentence as the bands listed in this poll. Nickelback is ****! They are so bad I can not even describe it. The fact that the singer Chad Kroeger started a label so he can expound upon the world his idea of what "music" is (Default, Theory of a Deadman) says a lot about what people are willing to listen to. My buddy was gonna drop his sorry *** at a bar 2 years ago and got "interupted" by Chad's gang of bodyguards. I've never seen a guy have such a big mouth and not be willing to back it up in the least. A no talent hack is the only way to describe him...

bullseyeguy
05-09-2006, 03:16 AM
Let me rephrase, Nirvana revoltionized grunge, and made it something marketable...In that sense I guess you could say they reinvented grunge....

LtDan
05-09-2006, 07:17 AM
there is no "best grunge band". That's like saying you are the smartest kid on the short bus

cmax13
05-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Not a grunge fan, but I have to say Soundgarden. Nirvana is one of THE most overrated bands in HISTORY IMHO. I never really cared for Pearl Jam, but Alice In Chains was pretty good

agent, you hit the nail on the head. i couldn't have said it better myself.

Philter25
05-09-2006, 08:35 AM
Nirvana. Does everyone really consider Soundgarden and Pearl Jam grunge?

GRAPEAPE
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Never Liked Nirvana, and I am disgusted that we STILL have to listen to that 3 chord crap on the radio daily. Cobain offed himself 10 years ago and people still act like they went fishing with him yesterday. I voted PJ. In this order

PJ
Alice in Chains
Soundgarden

Noodle Arm
05-09-2006, 09:11 AM

I didn't...especially Peral Jam. I always thought of them as a great 70's influenced rock band. But I think they're most identified with grunge (more so than Nirvana) simply because they helped kickstart the whole plaid shirt, torn jeans and boots look....and that every singer, post 1992, tried to sound like Eddie Vedder. :shakeno:

poornate
05-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Pixies....

Agent51
05-09-2006, 09:50 AM

I don't, but for the sake of the 4 options provided, I just chose the band I LIKED the best, not necessarily who I thought was the best "grunge" band (especially, as others have already pointed out, they aren't all grunge bands).

If I voted for best "grunge" band, JUST on that list, and based on influence not on personal tastes, I would vote Nirvana, for numerous reasons. They made it mainstream, we are still stuck with their "music" today, and they are really the only 100% "grunge" band on that list, lol.

McDuffie81
05-09-2006, 10:27 AM
I said the 90's, because I'm not counting this horrible hippy Nickelback crap.. Alice in Chains by a mile......at least.....

Walking25
05-09-2006, 10:41 AM
alice in chains.....
another band that
weren't grunge but they were one of the best of the 90s

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/Stone20Temple20Pilots2020Tiny20Music20So-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

IMO

Mike13
05-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Soundgarden, Chris Cornell is one of the best singers out there IMO. Cobain was a hell of a songwriter though.

Noodle Arm
05-09-2006, 10:55 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/Stone20Temple20Pilots2020Tiny20Music20So-1.jpg

I was one of the few who actually loved this album. After I listened to it the first time...I immediately played it again. That never happens with me. "Seven Caged Tigers" is an underrated gem.

STP never got any respect from critics and a lot of rock fans since they were considered a "rip-off" band. One thing's for sure, they were a great singles band.

Rocky Raccoon
05-09-2006, 11:04 AM
there is no "best grunge band". That's like saying you are the smartest kid on the short bus

:sidelol:

I said Pearl Jam because I can't stand Nirvana or Alice In Chains

NaboCane
05-09-2006, 11:14 AM
Mudhoney, Green River, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr.....they were the bands that paved the way for the bands you listed in the poll.

Screaming Trees, Mother Love Bone...

D-Day is right, Nirvava did not "invent" grunge...they were just the first band to make money playing that style of music. Green River (who later became parts of Mudhoney, Mother Love Bone and Mookie Blaylock who later became Pearl Jam) were the first "grunge" band. In fact their singer coined the term.

To be honest, the only band I consider "grunge" from the poll in Nirvana. In the 90's it got to the point that anyband from Seattle, no matter what they sounded like got called "grunge".

Alice in Chains was a metal band, as was Soundgarden in my opinion. Pearl Jam has always been a straight ahead rock band in my opinion.

My fave is Alice in Chains...and it is not even close. I love all the bands listed in the poll but none of them touch Alice.

BTW...don't utter the word "Nickelback" in the same sentence as the bands listed in this poll. Nickelback is ****! They are so bad I can not even describe it. The fact that the singer Chad Kroeger started a label so he can expound upon the world his idea of what "music" is (Default, Theory of a Deadman) says a lot about what people are willing to listen to. My buddy was gonna drop his sorry *** at a bar 2 years ago and got "interupted" by Chad's gang of bodyguards. I've never seen a guy have such a big mouth and not be willing to back it up in the least. A no talent hack is the only way to describe him...

Green River was first? I thought it was the Screaming Trees; but then again, you seem to be very knowledgeable in this arena, so I'll defer to you. I've become a fan after the fact, due to my girl's involvement with a lot of those guys as a merchandiser, way back when they weren't all so famous.

Such a backlash against Nirvana here; you know, yes, their music itself is simplistic - but that was kind of the point, wasn't it? If you start to deconstruct it and subject different parts of it to harsh light, then yes it's a messs. But their music is much, much more than the sum of its parts. Cobain's lyrics stand as some of the best poetry from that period in music, and it showed us something, a social condition to which we otherwise would have been oblivious...one which, by the way, foretold the jaded apathy and disenfranchisement which, ironically, now informs those who criticize them the most.

Cut 'em some slack. Poets and pioneers rarely get it 100% right, but they clear the path for those who do. And there's tremendous value in that courage to do something that hadn't been done before.

And BTW - Alice, no contest. But maybe this thread should have been titled "Best Seattle Band of the 90's" instead of grunge... :wink:

edit: and yes, Nickelback does suck donkey ***.

Buddwalk
05-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Im not a grunge fan either but im going to say soundgarden with alice in chains a close second

I never cared much for nirvana

Mindwarp
05-09-2006, 11:22 AM
:yeahthat:

Walking25
05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
I was one of the few who actually loved this album. After I listened to it the first time...I immediately played it again. That never happens with me. "Seven Caged Tigers" is an underrated gem.

STP never got any respect from critics and a lot of rock fans since they were considered a "rip-off" band. One thing's for sure, they were a great singles band.

my fav was tiny music
as well

u need to get their thank you album it has all their singles (cd+ dvd) the dvd has 3 hrs of music

u will thank me later.......

TotoreMexico
05-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Pearl Jam
Soundgarden
Alice in Chains

Philter25
05-09-2006, 12:14 PM
I don't, but for the sake of the 4 options provided, I just chose the band I LIKED the best, not necessarily who I thought was the best "grunge" band (especially, as others have already pointed out, they aren't all grunge bands).

If I voted for best "grunge" band, JUST on that list, and based on influence not on personal tastes, I would vote Nirvana, for numerous reasons. They made it mainstream, we are still stuck with their "music" today, and they are really the only 100% "grunge" band on that list, lol.

Well doesnt the poll say "best grunge band"? Not "who do you like the best"

I like Pearl Jam the best, but I dont consider them grunge. Hence I didnt vote for them and voted for Nirvana which is really the only grunge band on there.

Philter25
05-09-2006, 12:16 PM
But maybe this thread should have been titled "Best Seattle Band of the 90's" instead of grunge... :wink:

Bada bing. :yes:

Agent51
05-09-2006, 01:02 PM
Well doesnt the poll say "best grunge band"? Not "who do you like the best"

I like Pearl Jam the best, but I dont consider them grunge. Hence I didnt vote for them and voted for Nirvana which is really the only grunge band on there.

Yes, but in that case wouldn't it be a rigged poll since Nirvana is the ONLY "grunge" band on there?

If the author was counting those four bands as grunge, then I say Soundgarden was the best band. They weren't the most influential (that would go to Nirvana, of the four) but they put out the best music, with Alice In Chains a close second

DanStillStands
05-09-2006, 01:10 PM
PEARL JAM Plus they are the only ones still going today!

Roman529
05-09-2006, 01:21 PM
NIRVANA....just because they were grunge and the other bands kind of split off into other stuff.

My brother saw Alice in Chains in Seattle in a small bar before they made it big. I have always liked their stuff.

Soundgarden with Chris Cornell is the band I liked most of the ones you mentioned. Spoonman and Black Hole Sun are awesome songs....Chris still is rocking with Audioslave, and is one of the best ever singers and frontman.

Pearl Jam and Eddie Veder also rocked.

Each band had a different sound....but I still liked Soundgarden the best out of the groups mentioned.

Noodle Arm
05-09-2006, 01:38 PM
One of my first concert going experiences was going to a Van Halen concert at the Miami Arena back in '91 (I was 11)...the opening act was Alice in Chains. They flat out rocked.

PHINATIC13
05-09-2006, 01:48 PM
Nirvana,no other band in this poll fits in category imo.

Muck
05-09-2006, 01:54 PM
The hate on Nirvana = hilarious. I don't buy it for a second. If you were in middle school or higher when they got big.....you were all about them. If you were 10 when Kurt killed himself, you're almost disqualified IMO.

The effect that band had on music was enormous. Things changed almost overnight. They pretty much were the bullet that exploded the heart of what was the hairspray "metal" era. I don't know that we've had another band come along and change the landscape of rock music like that in the 15 years since then.

Say what you like about their music. Everyone has their own taste. But to say that Nirvana was "one of the most overrated bands in history" is like calling the Henry Ford's assembly line "much ado about nothing".

OT: The live Muddy Banks CD is still one of my faves.

Nickelback has their pluses in my book. Their songs are fun to play. I enjoy many of them. I don't necessarily care for the guy's crude lyrics though. Same reason I have little respect for most of hip hop. But that's another thread.

Anyway, AIC and Nirvana were my absolute fav Seattle bands, though I dug so many more and saw so many of them live. AIC has the longest staying power with me, though Dave Grohl has rocked us like a hurricane the last 12 years or so with Foo Fighters.

Philter25
05-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Yes, but in that case wouldn't it be a rigged poll since Nirvana is the ONLY "grunge" band on there?

:yes:

The hate on Nirvana = hilarious. I don't buy it for a second. If you were in middle school or higher when they got big.....you were all about them. If you were 10 when Kurt killed himself, you're almost disqualified IMO.

The effect that band had on music was enormous. Things changed almost overnight. They pretty much were the bullet in that exploded the heart of what was the hairspray "metal" era. I don't know that we've had another band come along and change the landscape of rock music like that in the 15 years since then.

Say what you like about their music. Everyone has their own taste. But to say that Nirvana was "one of the most overrated bands in history" is like calling the Henry Ford's assembly line "much ado about nothing".

Agreed. Only Unplugged > Muddy Banks.

Dolfan984
05-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Ug am I the only one who can't stand Pearl Jam? The dude sounds like the guy from Creed. They play that garbage so much on the radio and it sucks sooo sooo bad.

Noodle Arm
05-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Ug am I the only one who can't stand Pearl Jam? The dude sounds like the guy from Creed. They play that garbage so much on the radio and it sucks sooo sooo bad.

Actually the dude from Creed sounds like the guy from Pearl Jam....and yes...you're the only one. :tongue: :wink:

Dolfan984
05-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Actually the dude from Creed sounds like the guy from Pearl Jam....and yes...you're the only one. :tongue: :wink:

Yeah that's what I'm told. I know PJ came first. Still the guy from Creed sounds like the guy from PJ, and that is horrible. I know I'm not the only one either. The band isn't that terrible itself, the singer totally ruins it for me.

GRAPEAPE
05-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Yeah that's what I'm told. I know PJ came first. Still the guy from Creed sounds like the guy from PJ, and that is horrible. I know I'm not the only one either. The band isn't that terrible itself, the singer totally ruins it for me.I can see where some don't like Eddie. He has a unigue voice that's all ove the map on differnet albums. I prefer his singing to the rest of the "chris Daughtery's" of the world. Scott Weilan, and Cornell can sing their ***** off too, I am just partial to PJ i guess.

Noodle Arm
05-09-2006, 02:26 PM
I can see where some don't like Eddie. He has a unigue voice that's all ove the map on differnet albums. I prefer his singing to the rest of the "chris Daughtery's" of the world. Scott Weilan, and Cornell can sing their ***** off too, I am just partial to PJ i guess.

Have you heard their new album? I dunno...I just don't think it's as good as all the reviews would lead you to believe. Maybe a few more listens will help.

GRAPEAPE
05-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Have you heard their new album? I dunno...I just don't think it's as good as all the reviews would lead you to believe. Maybe a few more listens will help.I still haven't been able to listen to the whole thing at one time just individual songs here and there. This weekend, that's on my list

bullseyeguy
05-09-2006, 02:53 PM
I will never forget when I found out Cobain was dead, I was in 8th grade french class, and we were watching channel 1 news, for those of you who dont know what it was/is, a small news program for school kids that they played in home room. At that time, Nirvana was my life, I listened to them all the time, had the posters the stickers, everything...When they said on the news that he was found dead in an apartment, I actually ran out of the classroom and cried....

DrAstroZoom
05-09-2006, 02:57 PM

The effect that band had on music was enormous. Things changed almost overnight. They pretty much were the bullet in that exploded the heart of what was the hairspray "metal" era. I don't know that we've had another band come along and change the landscape of rock music like that in the 15 years since then.

Nickelback has their pluses in my book. Their songs are fun to play. I enjoy many of them. I don't necessarily care for the guy's crude lyrics though. Same reason I have little respect for most of hip hop. But that's another thread.

Anyway, AIC and Nirvana were my absolute fav Seattle bands, though I liked dug so many more and saw so many of them live. AIC has the longest staying power with me, though Dave Grohl has rocked us like a hurricane the last 12 years or so with Foo Fighters.

Nirvana was the most influential and easily the most iconic, but they were not the best. When you talk the total package, you have to give it to Soundgarden.

IMO.

NaboCane
05-09-2006, 02:58 PM

Anyway, AIC and Nirvana were my absolute fav Seattle bands, though I liked dug so many more and saw so many of them live. AIC has the longest staying power with me, though Dave Grohl has rocked us like a hurricane the last 12 years or so with Foo Fighters.

Nice post.

Grohl is terrific, he's the one guy out of all of them who's found a way to genuinely enjoy his success and continue making good music. Very cool guy in person too, per gluv. A close second is Vedder, but he only uses his fame to get laid. Which, albeit a little sad, is OK I guess...except when it's your girl he's trying to make.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-09-2006, 03:19 PM
nirvana and pearl jam are pretty unlistenable, so as a toss-up between AiC and soundgarden, i went with the latter. i always loved chris's voice.

but they aren't even "grunge," so....whatever.

Dolfan984
05-09-2006, 03:20 PM
I can see where some don't like Eddie. He has a unigue voice that's all ove the map on differnet albums. I prefer his singing to the rest of the "chris Daughtery's" of the world. Scott Weilan, and Cornell can sing their ***** off too, I am just partial to PJ i guess.

Yeah dude if they kept the band and got a different singer I probably wouldn't turn off the radio when I hear them. I haven't heard the new album because my bias forbids it. :lol:

DanStillStands
05-09-2006, 03:35 PM
I still haven't been able to listen to the whole thing at one time just individual songs here and there. This weekend, that's on my list

Severed hand and Marker in the sand. Two great songs off the new PJ album.

miamikid92
05-09-2006, 03:42 PM
nirvana :woowoo:

Roman529
05-09-2006, 03:54 PM

I was at my nephew's house and one of his little friends made a comment when a Nirvana video came on that the drummer looks a lot like the lead singer in Foo Fighters.....I didn't say anything to him. :D

Shula Come Back!
05-09-2006, 05:08 PM
I would have to say Pearl jam is the best band in the poll....Aren't they the only ones who are still around and successful....of course Nirvana might be too if....Anyway, Pearl Jam is more like just a great rock band that happened to emerge during that era...I'm not sure if any of the bands even liked that label. I also think Pearl Jam would've had success in any era...60's, 70's, maybe not 80's so much, 90's , or now!

dolfan72734me
05-09-2006, 05:17 PM
Yeah that's what I'm told. I know PJ came first. Still the guy from Creed sounds like the guy from PJ, and that is horrible. I know I'm not the only one either. The band isn't that terrible itself, the singer totally ruins it for me.
Ten is one of my favorite LP's of all time. I just didn't like much of their stuff afterwards.
But when Ten came out...wow, what a good time that was.
Same thing with Nirvana. The only LP I cared about was Nevermind. Nothing after that really impressed me.

dolfan72734me
05-09-2006, 05:23 PM
I will never forget when I found out Cobain was dead, I was in 8th grade french class, and we were watching channel 1 news, for those of you who dont know what it was/is, a small news program for school kids that they played in home room. At that time, Nirvana was my life, I listened to them all the time, had the posters the stickers, everything...When they said on the news that he was found dead in an apartment, I actually ran out of the classroom and cried.... I cried when I found out that Shannon Hoon had died. We were on our way to New Orleans to see the concert when we heard the news. I know Blind Melon wasn't in the same genre of these bands, but IMO, NOBODY could hold a candle to them.

Noodle Arm
05-09-2006, 05:28 PM
I wonder what Pagan thinks of all this :D :lol:

d-day
05-09-2006, 05:46 PM

this cd has always been my stp fix, especially and so i know - scott weiland produced and helped write the band i used to play in's cd 2 years ago - it was originally produced creed's producer, not sure what his name is, but the guys weren't happy with the sound and his influence on the music - it's pretty trippy listening to both versions of the cd side by side - with scott giving the music so much more depth and personality

d-day
05-09-2006, 05:51 PM
might be a bold statement to all the kurt cobain fans here but imo, david grohl > kurt cobain everyday of the week and i wouldn't be surprised if dave had more input in nirvana's music and sound then is given credit for...

Muck
05-09-2006, 05:51 PM
I cried when I found out that Shannon Hoon had died. We were on our way to New Orleans to see the concert when we heard the news. I know Blind Melon wasn't in the same genre of these bands, but IMO, NOBODY could hold a candle to them.

Blind Melon was a cool *** band. Mouthful of Cavities was my favorite song. That and Tones of Home. :)

dolfan72734me
05-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Blind Melon was a cool *** band. Mouthful of Cavities was my favorite song. That and Tones of Home. :)
Listen man, I got the window open, hear the cats?...Listen....
:yes:

Noodle Arm
05-09-2006, 07:03 PM
this cd has always been my stp fix, especially and so i know - scott weiland produced and helped write the band i used to play in's cd 2 years ago - it was originally produced creed's producer, not sure what his name is, but the guys weren't happy with the sound and his influence on the music - it's pretty trippy listening to both versions of the cd side by side - with scott giving the music so much more depth and personality

That's cool d-day. Were you still in the band at the time? Did you meet him?

Today I was bored at home sick, so I popped in an old VHS tape...I didn't know what was on it. Holy crap I'm so glad I did! It was a back to back marathon of MTV Unplugged that aired in '94 featuring STP, Pearl Jam and Nirvana (also had the 10,000 Maniacs one, I know whatever...I still think it was a good show :tongue: ) The Nirvana one is classic, STP were great (it was just before Purple came out) and the Pearl Jam one rocked! Plus it was good seeing Eddie Vedder fall off a stool :chuckle:

It was also great watching the commercials. "Come in and buy the new 1994 Ford Escort!" oh and the MTV Buzz Bin commercial that featured hot new bands like Lisa Loeb ("Stay") and Live ("Selling the Drama") :lol: It also had those MTV commercials with the dirty taxi driver who harassed the people in the back.
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/moveon-1.jpg

DolphinDevil28
05-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Alice In Chains.

"Down in a Hole" is one of the greatest songs of all time.

unifiedtheory
05-09-2006, 08:01 PM

"Soup" is a BRILLIANT record in my opinion. "Galaxie" is the very essense of what a "mainstream, radio" rock song should be...short and to the point. I left me wishing they had written it 4 minutes long...:lol:.

They were coming into their own when Hoon passed on...

BTW...the Nirvana bashing in this thread is pretty funny. Like Muck said, if you were between the age of 13-20 when Nevermind came out you owned that record and you loved that record...don't even lie about it. If you truly did'nt then you were probably listening to crap anyway.

Best song on that record and the best Nirvana song is "Lounge Act". It simply kills everything they ever did in my opinion.

unifiedtheory
05-09-2006, 08:03 PM

I'd love to know what you listen to...actually....forget about it. Thanks for adding meaningless input to a pretty good thread though.

dolfan72734me
05-09-2006, 08:34 PM
"Soup" is a BRILLIANT record in my opinion. "Galaxie" is the very essense of what a "mainstream, radio" rock song should be...short and to the point. I left me wishing they had written it 4 minutes long...:lol:.

BTW...the Nirvana bashing in this thread is pretty funny. Like Muck said, if you were between the age of 13-20 when Nevermind came out you owned that record and you loved that record...don't even lie about it. If you truly did'nt then you were probably listening to crap anyway.

Best song on that record and the best Nirvana song is "Lounge Act". It simply kills everything they ever did in my opinion.
Oh man, SOUP was a masterpiece, IMO. I can only imagine where they would have gone if not for the loss of Shannon. BTW, ever listen to the band Unified Theory, with some of the BM members. Abandon Jalopy is another of the same. Great bands.

Samphin
05-09-2006, 08:58 PM
might be a bold statement to all the kurt cobain fans here but imo, david grohl > kurt cobain everyday of the week and i wouldn't be surprised if dave had more input in nirvana's music and sound then is given credit for...

:shakeno:

It is a bold statement, however, it is a wrong statement. Grohl is talented...and funny, but he doesn't hold a candle to Cobain imo. Cobain wrote tons of songs, without so much as getting credit for them. Almost the entire libray of Hole was written by Cobain without credit. He just gave them to Courtney and let her take full on credit.

Cobain also could play both ways with his guitar and often times played a right handed guitar, left handed. Not easy to do.

Personally, I am not even sure if Dave Grohl was Nirvana's top drummer. You can make a case for Chad Channing if you wanted too.

Samphin
05-09-2006, 09:03 PM

The effect that band had on music was enormous. Things changed almost overnight. They pretty much were the bullet that exploded the heart of what was the hairspray "metal" era. I don't know that we've had another band come along and change the landscape of rock music like that in the 15 years since then.

Anyway, AIC and Nirvana were my absolute fav Seattle bands, though I dug so many more and saw so many of them live. AIC has the longest staying power with me, though Dave Grohl has rocked us like a hurricane the last 12 years or so with Foo Fighters.

:yes: on the Nirvana part. I also enjoy From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah. I am a big Nirvana fan. Have been for as long as I can remember. You are dead on about their influence and standing. People like to bash them almost so they don't look like a member of the flock. So they can say they are different.

Everyone knows Nirvana songs. The fact that unreleased stuff is still seeping its way out and stands out well above most of the stuff today is a testament to how talented they were.

Not a big Foo Fighters fan, although some of their stuff is ok. It just sounds too poppy for me, but we all have our own tastes.

d-day
05-09-2006, 09:21 PM
:shakeno:

It is a bold statement, however, it is a wrong statement. Grohl is talented...and funny, but he doesn't hold a candle to Cobain imo. Cobain wrote tons of songs, without so much as getting credit for them. Almost the entire libray of Hole was written by Cobain without credit. He just gave them to Courtney and let her take full on credit.

Cobain also could play both ways with his guitar and often times played a right handed guitar, left handed. Not easy to do.

Personally, I am not even sure if Dave Grohl was Nirvana's top drummer. You can make a case for Chad Channing if you wanted too.

Not a big Foo Fighters fan, although some of their stuff is ok. It just sounds too poppy for me, but we all have our own tastes.

kinda sums up your reply here - but again imo david grohl is a much better and more accomplished musician and song writer than k.c. ever was - and playing nirvanas guitar parts upside down isn't that big of an accomplishment - i could fart kurts guitar parts just as easily - it was prolly written that way anyway

Dolphin1184
05-09-2006, 09:23 PM

Dave Grohl is awesome. I really like the Foo Fighters. My favorite song from them is probably Best of You. I like how he can both sing and scream. And I heard he made an entire album by himself. The songwriting, drums, guitars, etc were done by him, then he got a band for tour in the beginning.

Metal Panda
05-09-2006, 09:27 PM
bleach rocked

dolfan72734me
05-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Dave Grohl is awesome. I really like the Foo Fighters. My favorite song from them is probably Best of You. I like how he can both sing and scream. And I heard he made an entire album by himself. The songwriting, drums, guitars, etc were done by him, then he got a band for tour in the beginning.
They did a really good remakes of Gary Numan's "Down in the Park". I like that one alot.

Agent51
05-10-2006, 03:48 AM

I don't like Pearl Jam either, don;t care for their singer or their music. And I HATE that "Jeremy" song

LtDan
05-10-2006, 06:24 AM
I'd love to know what you listen to...actually....forget about it. Thanks for adding meaningless input to a pretty good thread though.I listen to all 80's heavy metal for the record. Music was ruined IMO by Nirvana. If only Cobain had put that shotgun in his mouth a few years earlier. And you are quite welcome for my input. It is my opinion so screw you!

Metallica, Slayer, Savatage, Exodus, Testament, Hammerfall, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax, Armored Saint, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Dio, AC/DC, Queensryche, Whitesnake, Kamelot, EdGuy, Ratt, LIVESAY.....get the picture!

cnc66
05-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Alice and Chains...my buddy told me Cantrell is putting them back together, I hope so. I saw Cantrell at Coral Sky on his first solo tour after AnC and the were so so...not yet polished. They DID play Rooster and Would so I was in heaven...Day's of the New and Metallica weren't bad either...

Ohio Fanatic
05-10-2006, 07:12 AM

HaHa, spoken like a true person just old enough to be out of the X-generation.

I don't care who invented grunge. Nirvana, soundgarden and pearl jam represented grunge in the 90s. IMO, Nirvana's songs were a little better.

AND WOO-HOO, finally got 2000 posts.:clap: :party:

Samphin
05-10-2006, 08:24 AM
Alice and Chains...my buddy told me Cantrell is putting them back together, I hope so. I saw Cantrell at Coral Sky on his first solo tour after AnC and the were so so...not yet polished. They DID play Rooster and Would so I was in heaven...Day's of the New and Metallica weren't bad either...

Cantrell is putting them back together. I heard they start touring soon in fact.

Muck
05-10-2006, 06:32 PM

Oh man, you said it. Lounge Act is my favorite song off that record. It encompassed everything Nirvana was. And Kurt's screaming in that song is awesome. The second half of that cut is Nirvana in a nutshell.

As for BM.....man, it was over way too soon.

Muck
05-10-2006, 06:45 PM

Yup. The first Foo Fighters album. He recorded the entire album over six days in October 1994. It was originally just going to be a demo tape. But it got a response and he ended up releasing it as the Foo Fighters first album.

Muck
05-10-2006, 06:51 PM
One thing that I really love about Dave Grohl are the lyrics he writes. In this day, it's pretty rare for mainstream music to be considered clever. But that's exactly what he is. You listen to his words in Best of You and you can't help but be impressed.

Dolphin1184
05-10-2006, 06:55 PM
One thing that I really love about Dave Grohl are the lyrics he writes. In this day, it's pretty rare for mainstream music to be considered clever. But that's exactly he is. You listen to his words in Best of You and you can't help but be impressed.

I couldn't have said it any better Muck.

HysterikiLL
05-10-2006, 06:56 PM
I listen to all 80's heavy metal for the record. Music was ruined IMO by Nirvana. If only Cobain had put that shotgun in his mouth a few years earlier. And you are quite welcome for my input. It is my opinion so screw you!

Metallica, Slayer, Savatage, Exodus, Testament, Hammerfall, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax, Armored Saint, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Dio, AC/DC, Queensryche, Whitesnake, Kamelot, EdGuy, Ratt, LIVESAY.....get the picture!

Cheap livesay plug :lol:

Muck
05-10-2006, 06:57 PM
I listen to all 80's heavy metal for the record. Music was ruined IMO by Nirvana. If only Cobain had put that shotgun in his mouth a few years earlier. And you are quite welcome for my input. It is my opinion so screw you!

Different strokes I suppose.

I feel like Nirvana SAVED music. And the ozone.

unifiedtheory
05-10-2006, 08:17 PM

Well,I thank you for your kind words. Asking for someone to take their own life earlier...good one. Now I know how you got to over 5,000 posts....such riveting input.

Ruined by Nirvana? Nirvana was a breath of fresh air in a VERY stale time for music in my opinion.

A TON of the bands you listed were not affected in the least by Nirvana's rising. Blaming one band for another band turning into trash is questionable to say the least. I mean honestly, when were Slayer, Maiden, Megadeth etc. ever on the radio to begin with? They were TOTALLY different genre's. Some of the bands you listed did their best work in my opinion during the Seattle music years. Some of them were garbage to begin with so I don't see how one band getting big affected them.

Nirvana filled a niche. Just like Metallica used to.

You're right. You are free to your point of view, just like I am free to mine. I was trying to say, if there is a thread and you have nothing to add but insults and a point of view that is totally disagreeable to what is being discussed then why even go in the thread? I despise the NBA with every fibre of my being but I don't go into the NBA threads to disturb what is going on...I let it go.

HysterikiLL
05-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Different strokes I suppose.

I feel like Nirvana SAVED music. And the ozone.

I agree. Different generations will always have different opinions and those with different beliefs are what makes music so powerful in a global context. I feel that Nirvana did so much for that era and even today ignites that powerful feeling inside of me.

A lot of people felt that Nirvana, and grunge in general was non-progressive and just helped fuel a generation of angry suicidal white kids, but that was because we only ever heard about the ****ed up kids in school killing people and self-mutilating and blamed grunge, kind of like how a lot of people blame Hip-Hop today.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-11-2006, 12:45 AM
there hasn't been good popular rock bands since the 70s. the 80s was terrible and the wave of crap influenced by nirvana is even worse. i don't see why someone should get credit for influencing horrific music.

Slappy8800
05-11-2006, 12:51 AM
there hasn't been good popular rock bands since the 70s. the 80s was terrible and the wave of crap influenced by nirvana is even worse. i don't see why someone should get credit for influencing horrific music.4 words for ya:

guns and mother****ing roses

Metal Panda
05-21-2006, 06:16 PM
there hasn't been good popular rock bands since the 70s. the 80s was terrible and the wave of crap influenced by nirvana is even worse. i don't see why someone should get credit for influencing horrific music.

bah. while a lot of the bands Nirvana inspired were crap, Nirvana's Bleach, and Nevermind were classics, as well as Incesticide.

Quelonio
05-21-2006, 07:32 PM
For me it begins and ends with Mudhoney... Touch me I'm sick is one of the best songs I have ever heard, and tha tis without even going later and bringing up Generation Genocide, good Enough, If I think, Into your Shtick... And also reading Mark Arm interviews is hilarious...

Sonic Youth of that time was pretty grungy, but then they kinda moved into the alt rock thing... and I dont like them anymore. But you most definetley should have included the Screaming Trees and STP (they are grunge, they are not from seattle, but they are grunge).. heck the first albums of the Smashing Pumpkins should put them into the discussion.

I just dont understand why grunge has to be from seattle???

I liked Nirvana, just not as much as most of the other bands around. I certainly don't like the Foo fighters, but I liked Grhol in queens of the stone age

Metal Panda
05-21-2006, 07:44 PM
For me it begins and ends with Mudhoney... Touch me I'm sick is one of the best songs I have ever heard, and tha tis without even going later and bringing up Generation Genocide, good Enough, If I think, Into your Shtick... And also reading Mark Arm interviews is hilarious...

Sonic Youth of that time was pretty grungy, but then they kinda moved into the alt rock thing... and I dont like them anymore. But you most definetley should have included the Screaming Trees and STP (they are grunge, they are not from seattle, but they are grunge).. heck the first albums of the Smashing Pumpkins should put them into the discussion.

I just dont understand why grunge has to be from seattle???

I liked Nirvana, just not as much as most of the other bands around. I certainly don't like the Foo fighters, but I liked Grhol in queens of the stone age

I liked the first Foo Fighters album a lot. A lot of good pop sensibilities, and not sterile like the next 5 or so albums that came after. The Colour and The Shape is when the downfall began.

Agent51
05-21-2006, 09:11 PM
4 words for ya:

guns and mother****ing roses

YES. To say the 80s were terrible is RIDICULOUS. Motley Crue, GNR, Ozzy's solo career, etc, all came in the 80s, not to mention the whole "hair metal" era, which, while you may not liek the image, or even the lyrics music, you can't deny that the hair bands had GREAT guitarists.

lazareth
05-22-2006, 12:55 AM
wow...i don't know what else to say...nirvana, soundgarden, pearl jam, alice...i liked all of them...a lot...still do

i like classic rock, heavy metal, nu metal, alternative, grunge, 60's rock, some country, some rap, classical...i could post all night with all the bands, songs, genre's etc that i like...i like most music though i prefer metal-ish stuff the best

still, if it sounds good and it makes me smile, cry, bang my head, think, or feel just a little then i can dig it...even if your band is cheesy or a clone or not very talented

just not a big fan of musak, polka, anything with a sitar or yodeling

dominizzo
05-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Vedder and Pearl JAm Rocks

Walking25
05-22-2006, 02:17 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/B000021XR501_AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_-1.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000021XR5/ref=dp_image_0/102-5444092-4541713?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=5174&s=music)

this album rocks

This album features the group in an identity crisis, of sorts. The band was obviously still staggering from the departure and return of Scott Weiland, who was probably still hooked on the unique sort of sound he had created on his solo album. The result is one of STP's most uneven albums. But despite its uneven nature, this album stands strong. This time around the group scored three big hits - and they illustrate the group's identity crisis beautifully. We've got the awkward, melodic grunge of Sour Girl, which is very different from any other STP hit but still very good. No Way Out is a bit unusual because it sounds like many of the up-and-coming copycat grunge bands of the late nineties-early twentieth century (Sevendust, Godsmack, etc.) However, STP's take on these stylings is better than the bands who devoted their entire career to trying to sound that way. The only hit that really has that classic STP sound to it is the opener, Down, which sounds like it could easily have come from the Core sessions. There are plenty of good tracks here. Many of which, like Heaven And Hot Rods, feature the band's classic stylings that Core and Purple featured so extensively, while songs like Glide don't really sound like anything the band had done prior to this album (the closest thing to these songs is some of the work on Tiny Music... the third album.) But STP is one of the few bands in rock and roll that can take an identity crisis and make a good album out of it. The uneven nature of the release actually creates diversity, and the album that preceeded this showed just how diverse the group could be. I'm glad Scott Weiland came back to the band after his solo album, because if he didn't, this album would never have seen the light of day. Four out of five stars.

All of STP's albums, for the most part, are still readily available in stores, which is appropriate since they were one of the ultimate bands of the nineties grunge movements. No. 4 corrects the error that Purple and Tiny Music... made, and prints the tracklist on the back of the CD case (I'm not sure why they didn't put it on those two albums, but I won't get into that here.)

No. 4's uneven nature doesn't stop it from being another strong effort in STP's catalogue. If you're a fan of the group, this is an album that you need to add to your collection. I wouldn't recommend this one for newbies (they should start with Core or Purple), but if you're already a fan of the group, you'll really be able to appreciate this one. Though not the band's best work, this one still holds its own.

JPhinfan86
05-22-2006, 04:02 AM
The only album Nickelback ever put out that sounded anything remotely "grunge" was their first ever album "Nickelback: Curb", a very blatant rip-off of Pearl Jam's style. That album was before they had Roadrunner as their label but it is now sold under just that label.

I voted for Alice In Chains in this poll, there's just something about their music that I got into. I don't mind Nirvana I 'spose but I only own an album because my older bro had it, "Nevermind". If it meant that we'd never have to watch Courtney Love lift her gross, bruised legs above her head at a public ceremony I would be OK with Nirvana never having made it big. Yes, she's that gross.

JPhinfan86
05-22-2006, 04:05 AM
I'd love to know what you listen to...actually....forget about it.
:sidelol: I'm sure Manallow has a place in that collection...is that how you spell his name? Manalow?

JPhinfan86
05-22-2006, 04:10 AM
I would have to say Pearl jam is the best band in the poll....Aren't they the only ones who are still around and successful....
Well, they are still around but I think the jury's still out on "successful". Has anyone picked up the new album?

JPhinfan86
05-22-2006, 04:23 AM
Nickelback has their pluses in my book. Their songs are fun to play.
One thing I can say about that first album I spoke of in my last post is that the song "Left" is a bad@ss song to play..fast fingers. If anyone wants to hear it i'll try to send the song to your e-mail address.

Also on that album is the ORIGINAL version of the song "Just For" that later appeared on "Silver Side Up". It's definitely a crappy version, mostly from a lyrical stand point. Almost like Chad has a speech inpediment. :lol:

Den54
05-22-2006, 06:19 AM

Its always been my vision to see Chris Cornell join the band ever since Lane died. I know it won't ever happen but I can dream.

Den54
05-22-2006, 06:26 AM
On rainy days I break out the Singles cd and drift away.
Breath by Pearl Jam is outstanding.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-22-2006, 08:40 AM
nickelback is very talented. (http://www.sendspace.com/file/wffjs0)
(http://www.theweb****e.net/nickelback.htm)

unifiedtheory
05-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, they are still around but I think the jury's still out on "successful". Has anyone picked up the new album?

I bought it when it came out but had not listened to it until this weekend (10,000 Days was on full time repeat but my g/f finally got me to listen to it).

I think it's great. Not as good as "Riot Act" (I loved that record), but a very good record none the less.

Did you just doubt whether Pearl Jam was "successful"?

I am not going to get into another pissing match in this thread so I'll let that one go...

unifiedtheory
05-22-2006, 01:54 PM
On rainy days I break out the Singles cd and drift away.
Breath by Pearl Jam is outstanding.

My 2 fave Pearl Jam songs are on that record. That and "State of Love and Trust" are brilliant.

The remixes of those two songs that are one "RearViewMirror....the best of Pearl Jam" are sweet.

unifiedtheory
05-22-2006, 01:55 PM
nickelback is very talented. (http://www.sendspace.com/file/wffjs0)
(http://www.theweb****e.net/nickelback.htm):sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

Quelonio
05-22-2006, 01:56 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000021XR5.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000021XR5/ref=dp_image_0/102-5444092-4541713?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=5174&s=music)

this album rocks

This album features the group in an identity crisis, of sorts. The band was obviously still staggering from the departure and return of Scott Weiland, who was probably still hooked on the unique sort of sound he had created on his solo album. The result is one of STP's most uneven albums. But despite its uneven nature, this album stands strong. This time around the group scored three big hits - and they illustrate the group's identity crisis beautifully. We've got the awkward, melodic grunge of Sour Girl, which is very different from any other STP hit but still very good. No Way Out is a bit unusual because it sounds like many of the up-and-coming copycat grunge bands of the late nineties-early twentieth century (Sevendust, Godsmack, etc.) However, STP's take on these stylings is better than the bands who devoted their entire career to trying to sound that way. The only hit that really has that classic STP sound to it is the opener, Down, which sounds like it could easily have come from the Core sessions. There are plenty of good tracks here. Many of which, like Heaven And Hot Rods, feature the band's classic stylings that Core and Purple featured so extensively, while songs like Glide don't really sound like anything the band had done prior to this album (the closest thing to these songs is some of the work on Tiny Music... the third album.) But STP is one of the few bands in rock and roll that can take an identity crisis and make a good album out of it. The uneven nature of the release actually creates diversity, and the album that preceeded this showed just how diverse the group could be. I'm glad Scott Weiland came back to the band after his solo album, because if he didn't, this album would never have seen the light of day. Four out of five stars.

All of STP's albums, for the most part, are still readily available in stores, which is appropriate since they were one of the ultimate bands of the nineties grunge movements. No. 4 corrects the error that Purple and Tiny Music... made, and prints the tracklist on the back of the CD case (I'm not sure why they didn't put it on those two albums, but I won't get into that here.)

No. 4's uneven nature doesn't stop it from being another strong effort in STP's catalogue. If you're a fan of the group, this is an album that you need to add to your collection. I wouldn't recommend this one for newbies (they should start with Core or Purple), but if you're already a fan of the group, you'll really be able to appreciate this one. Though not the band's best work, this one still holds its own.

That was my first STP album... I completely loved it. I still think it is their best (their worst being Shangri la dee da, which is damn awfull). It is so irregular it is punky and soo good

Walking25
05-22-2006, 02:34 PM
That was my first STP album... I completely loved it. I still think it is their best (their worst being Shangri la dee da, which is damn awfull). It is so irregular it is punky and soo good

[Download] STP Unreleased Outtakes 1999-2001 Mp3's - Mastered (http://www.belowempty.com/smf/index.php?topic=852.0) « 1 (http://www.belowempty.com/smf/index.php?topic=852.0) 2 (http://www.belowempty.com/smf/index.php?topic=852.25) 3 (http://www.belowempty.com/smf/index.php?topic=852.50) 4 (http://www.belowempty.com/smf/index.php?topic=852.75) 5 (http://www.belowempty.com/smf/index.php?topic=852.100) »

here u go some b -sides

BE GOOD
05-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Pearl Jam, but all my favorite bands are from the 70's.

JPhinfan86
05-23-2006, 05:02 AM
Did you just doubt whether Pearl Jam was "successful"?

I am not going to get into another pissing match in this thread so I'll let that one go...
No no no no no. He said STILL successful. So until I heard something positive about the NEW album, "STILL" successful wasn't a fact. :lol:

Pearl Jam rocks, good stuff....whoever said the song "Jeremy" sucked is outta their mind (while not my fav by them it's still good). I think it's ridiculous for someone to say a band isn't 'successful' simply because they don't like them....that's not always entirely the point.

Den54
05-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Was CandleBox considered Grunge? I always liked them.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-23-2006, 10:16 AM
yeah i liked candlebox, too. seemed a bit too heavy at times for grunge.

PhinfanUK
05-23-2006, 02:51 PM
alice in chains edge it over pearl jam for me, but only because I thought all of AIC's stuff was great whereas Pearl Jam's later stuff kinda sucked

NaboCane
05-23-2006, 03:51 PM
yeah i liked candlebox, too. seemed a bit too heavy at times for grunge.

Candlebox was definitely metal.

Shula Come Back!
05-23-2006, 05:09 PM
alice in chains edge it over pearl jam for me, but only because I thought all of AIC's stuff was great whereas Pearl Jam's later stuff kinda sucked

Almost everypne's stuff seems like it sucks after 10 years!!! If AIC would've been around that long, everyone would have thought the same of them too!!! I don't agree however. I love AIC and probably would've liked their later stuff and I really like the last two PJ albums. I think it's just really tough for a band to impress you after you heard their sound for a few albums....and everyone who copies it!

Den54
05-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Candlebox was definitely metal.

Nahhh I don't think they fall into the metal catagory.
Hard Rock maybe.

FinsNYanksFan13
05-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Alice in Chains. Staley was one of the most underrated song writers in music history!

Walking25
05-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Layne Staley with his other group....

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/169048-1.jpg

d-day
05-24-2006, 12:36 AM
http://members.lycos.nl/pjdiscography/related/images/mad_season/ms_cdnk1089.jpg

http://images.fattvideos.com/pi/f/169048.jpg

do you have this?!

Walking25
05-24-2006, 12:39 AM
YES I DO :wink: VCR tape sooner or later they should release it on DVD

unifiedtheory
05-24-2006, 12:40 AM
http://members.lycos.nl/pjdiscography/related/images/mad_season/ms_cdnk1089.jpg

http://images.fattvideos.com/pi/f/169048.jpg

Is that a VIDEO!!!!!!!

I HAVE to track that down...

unifiedtheory
05-24-2006, 12:40 AM
YES I DO :wink: VCR tape sooner or later they should release it on DVD

OMG....to Google I go....

Walking25
05-24-2006, 12:43 AM
seriously I think STP Purple stands up to Nevermind & Pearl Jam Ten & Alice in chains Dirt & Soundgarden superunknown. they should be on the list...

Walking25
05-24-2006, 12:51 AM
OMG....to Google I go....

hey Limewire Has it . download limewire off of Epirate.net

to get the whole show

& here u go
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_season_live_at_the_moore/

d-day
05-24-2006, 12:53 AM
what about a cd walk - do you have the show on cd? :pray:

unifiedtheory
05-24-2006, 12:53 AM
D-Day is as giddy about this as I am....

d-day
05-24-2006, 12:55 AM
D-Day is as giddy about this as I am....

:lol: - you know it brother

i remember you being a mad season freak - the most underrated album i own and one of my all-time faves...

d-day
05-24-2006, 12:56 AM

bump

Walking25
05-24-2006, 12:59 AM

i could get it together somehow, but u would be cheating yourself if u never got to watch it....

c'mon Layne is playing Guitar in it man

that says it all.. I might be able to copy it to a Dvd-r.

His'nBeatYour'n
05-25-2006, 06:36 AM
Came into this thread really late...
I voted Soundgarden as they were my favorites at the time, overtaking PJ with the release of Superunknown.

But since I still go to shows, it is hard for my favorite band to be a "dead" one. PJ and TOOL have taken over for me. Then they go and release new albums on the same damn day making me listen to both of them on rotation non-stop.

I'm going to see PJ in Jersey on June 3rd, saw them live for the first time last tour (twice) best two concerts I've ever been to. New album has yet to grow on me, not quite understanding the critical hype it has received. I don't think it is "their best album in years" but time will tell.

As I said, the new TOOL and PJ albums came and were constantly traded for each other in my car. That was until I picked up the new RHCP double album, I was really blown away by them, best double album since Use Your Illusion, and far more consistent. Not as bloated as the Foo's "In Your Honour" Now I have 4 discs in constant rotation.

Nirvana opened the door to so much great music being played in heavy rotation on MTV. Something neither Guns N Roses, Metallica, or Janes Addiction, were able to do. Before Nirvana, Poison and Warrant were dominating "rock" music. Before Nirvana, there wasn't even a modern rock station here in NY, or most markets. It was a great run until about the time the Spice Girls dumbed it all down for everyone.

Very happy to see Blind Melon and Madseason getting some love here too.:D

Not much else new that I love as much as all that 90's "grunge" and alternative.

Kings of Leon
System of a Down
Incubus

But that is about it.