PDA

View Full Version : Gamespot: "They didn't steal from Nintendo. They actually stole from Microsoft"

mor911
05-09-2006, 07:31 AM
you're looking at here is a picture I took of gyroscopic, motion sensing controllers that Logitech and Microsoft manufactured for the PC in 1999. Yes, 1999 as in more than seven years ago.

Contary to the rapidly developing urban legend that's forming now, the idea of a motion sensing controller is not something Nintendo invented just last year. It's just as false as the Nintendo invented analog joysticks and Al Gore invented the internet fairy tales.

Found this at Gamespot and thought it was interesting.

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3blog.html?topic_id=24600407

Bruzer
05-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Yea also I dont think the cotroller works to same extent as the nintendo. I think nintendos takes into alot more information as far as angle, distance etc.. I think nintendo still will be much different.

mor911
05-09-2006, 08:51 AM
The only difference I can think of is.... You point something instead of hold something. I like the PS3's idea more. Can be used for Flight, Driving, and FPS... Hold the controller sideways and use it for golf, fishing or batting. Then it can still be used for fighting games, and action games... Nintendo limited themselves (and their gamers) in the way they can play games with the TV remote and a few buttons.

Nintendo will make good use of the remote with some "innovative" 1st party titles like:

- Mario Fishing Wii
- Super Mario Wii
- Wario Ware Wii
- Clash Bros Wii
- Metroid Prime Wii
- Zelda Wii
- Mario Tennis Wii
- Mario Baseball Wii
- <EA Titles> Wii

The hits just keep on coming.

mor911
05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
The control is really slick. The game uses the controller's internal tilt-sensing mechanisms to steer your ship. It works really well, and didn't feel jittery at all. If you hold R1, tilting the control rolls your ship. Double-tapping R2 kicks in your afterburners for a quick speed boost, and triangle converts you into and out of hover mode. The D pad on the controller is used for selecting secondary weapons, and square fires them. X is your main machine gun.
They say the controls feel good. I honestly can't wait!

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149597&pid=928383

UltraDol-Fan
05-09-2006, 09:23 AM
I hope Nintendo comes out with other "controller" variations. I would love to play a shooter with a gun, like having the controller just snap into a gun like a clip. That would be cool...

Bruzer
05-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Yea I will get a ps3 like i said I will wait till some good titles arrive. I agree though I like the idea of using it for the ps3 will open more options for many things. Many people are bashin ps3 based on price but if you take into what it includes its a pretty reasonable price and they will be losing money on the system for a while.

Agent51
05-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Yea I will get a ps3 like i said I will wait till some good titles arrive. I agree though I like the idea of using it for the ps3 will open more options for many things. Many people are bashin ps3 based on price but if you take into what it includes its a pretty reasonable price and they will be losing money on the system for a while.

I can't wait for PS3. The price doesn't bother me, and I will be getting the 60GB one. Just hearing "$600 for a videogame system" sounds nuts, but if you step back and actually take into account what you get, its DAMN reasonable. I mean, you get an HD that's 3x the size of the 360's, you get games that are what, almost 7 times the storage capacity of the 360's games (I'm roughly estimating here) and you get a BLUE RAY player, which is like $1,000 in itself in the stores right now. C'mon, $5-600 is a STEAL. Of course everyone wants it to be $400 or lower like all the other systems, but this isn;t LIKE all the other systems, it has a HUGE piece of future technology in it (the Blue Ray player).

I will be getting one at launch (assuming people don't get screwed out of presales like with the 360), I just hope it doesn;t have any probs like the 360s did. I'm not TOO worried, as I got both my original PS AND my PS2 on their respective launch days and had ZERO probs with them. In fact, my PS worked right up until the PS2 came out (then I didn't touch it ever again, lol) and my launch PS2 lasted right up until the time GTA San Andreas came out, then it FINALLY crapped out on me. The durability of the first two systems has me not as worried for the PS3 launch.

UltraDol-Fan
05-09-2006, 10:16 AM
my PS2 crapped out right when I got Guitar Hero and it was one of the original ones, I think I got it like the second week after launch. I might get a PS3, but I'll probably wait and see what happens with Blu Ray

Bruzer
05-09-2006, 10:22 AM
I know its not a bad price. I also got to get me a better graphics card for some upcoming games around that time so I will wait on ps3 when there is more titles. I would get one at launch otherwise also.

Agent51
05-09-2006, 10:24 AM
my PS2 crapped out right when I got Guitar Hero and it was one of the original ones, I think I got it like the second week after launch. I might get a PS3, but I'll probably wait and see what happens with Blu Ray

Guiter Hero = GOD :lol:

Have ya seen all the info on Guitar Hero II? It has me drooling. I wish real life was like the Jetsons right now, cuz I'd warp to November when GH2 and PS3 come out, stopping in July for NCAA and August for Madden of course, lol.

Anyway, GH2 looks SIIIIIIICK, and they added the feature that I asked for IMMEDIATELY after the first one launched, which was a 2 player co-op mode where you each play your own track (like lead, rhythm, bass) instead of just playing random parts of the same track. Also, the new 2-player VS mode sounds great, how one person can be playing it on hard and the other on easy, kind of like a handicapping system. This is great for me because most of my friends struggle on medium, some even on easy, lol, so playing against them gets boring since I have 5-starred ALL the songs on easy and medium, and all but the last section on Hard (I've gotten 4 stars on those ones). I try things like not using star power while playing left handed but without lefty switch on, and I still KILL them, lol, at least now I can try on hard or expert whil they pick easy or medium and it'll be equal, thus FUN again.

UltraDol-Fan
05-09-2006, 10:38 AM
yeah, the new co-op should be great. the only issue I've heard is if playing against someone on a different difficulty they really didn't know how to score it since the harder song would obvioulsy get more notes to play.

Medieval954
05-09-2006, 11:20 AM
you're looking at here is a picture I took of gyroscopic, motion sensing controllers that Logitech and Microsoft manufactured for the PC in 1999. Yes, 1999 as in more than seven years ago.

Contary to the rapidly developing urban legend that's forming now, the idea of a motion sensing controller is not something Nintendo invented just last year. It's just as false as the Nintendo invented analog joysticks and Al Gore invented the internet fairy tales.

Nice spin by Gamespot, and while technically true, there is no way Sony adds that to their controller if Nintendo doesn't announce their controller earlier. Nintendo didn't invent the analog stick, shoulder buttons and rumble function either, but I don't think it's coincidence that through the years that right after Nintendo announces these things, Sony seems to magically add it to their controller soon after.

Well, except for the rumble feature, Since the PS3 controller does not have rumble this time due to them losing the Immersion lawsuit.

mor911
05-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Nice spin by Gamespot, and while technically true, there is no way Sony adds that to their controller if Nintendo doesn't announce their controller earlier. Nintendo didn't invent the analog stick, shoulder buttons and rumble function either, but I don't think it's coincidence that through the years that right after Nintendo announces these things, Sony seems to magically add it to their controller soon after.

Well, except for the rumble feature, Since the PS3 controller does not have rumble this time due to them losing the Immersion lawsuit.
Are you sure it has NO rumble feature? Or does it not use the same technology behind the dynamic rumble feature of the Dual Shock?

Medieval954
05-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Are you sure it has NO rumble feature? Or does it not use the same technology behind the dynamic rumble feature of the Dual Shock?

I'm positive.

Pursuant to the introduction of this new six-axis sensing system, the vibration feature that is currently available on DUALSHOCK® and DUALSHOCK®2 controllers for PlayStation and PlayStation®2, will be removed from the new PS3 controller as vibration itself interferes with information detected by the sensor.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060509be.pdf

mor911
05-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Ah ha!

Dol-Fan Dupree
05-09-2006, 11:39 AM

my PS2 crapped out about 2 years after I bought it. I just got another one a couple of months ago. The new PS2 is so awesome and tiny. That is the only thing that might make me not get one at launch.

AquaInferno
05-09-2006, 06:46 PM
No more shock in Dual Shock????? :eek: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Agent51
05-10-2006, 02:10 AM
No more shock in Dual Shock????? :eek: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think a shaking controller doesn't really do much? I mean, maybe because EVERY SINGLE GAME uses vibration now and I'm just used to it or something, but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I'm sorry, but having a quick shake when I get tackled in Madden doesn't make me feel like I'm in the game, nt does a little shake when I tap the wall in NASCAR :confused2

If there is one place I WILL miss it, it's in NCAA Football, when they crowd goes nuts and the screen and controller shake. It doesn't feel "real", like I'm there, but in close situations against friends or online when it's down to the wre and you need that first down or FG and the screen and controller and shaking like the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, man, THAT is nerve-racking

nevadadolfan
05-10-2006, 02:46 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think a shaking controller doesn't really do much? I mean, maybe because EVERY SINGLE GAME uses vibration now and I'm just used to it or something, but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I'm sorry, but having a quick shake when I get tackled in Madden doesn't make me feel like I'm in the game, nt does a little shake when I tap the wall in NASCAR :confused2

If there is one place I WILL miss it, it's in NCAA Football, when they crowd goes nuts and the screen and controller shake. It doesn't feel "real", like I'm there, but in close situations against friends or online when it's down to the wre and you need that first down or FG and the screen and controller and shaking like the 1906 San Francisco earthquake, man, THAT is nerve-racking

I like the "shake" of the controllers. Going back to the "rumble pack" for the N64, I have always liked it. Looking back wasnt that funny how Nintendo had a rumble pack as a add on to the controller....AND it took batteries!!! Were they the first to have the rumble? Any way I like it.

Alex44
05-10-2006, 02:47 AM

I litterally get scared and start sweating....it lets me know its a huge kick and I better make it....I will miss it in certain games but for the most part its no big deal to me

Agent51
05-10-2006, 03:21 AM
I like the "shake" of the controllers. Going back to the "rumble pack" for the N64, I have always liked it. Looking back wasnt that funny how Nintendo had a rumble pack as a add on to the controller....AND it took batteries!!! Were they the first to have the rumble? Any way I like it.

I'm not sure f they were the frst, I think someone in the thread, or at least in one of the gaming forum threads, posted that PC controllers had it first, but I can't confirm o deny that fact. As far as the vibration, yea, it was OK, it added a little to games (especially NCAA like I described) but it didn't make or break games. Like I said, I COULD end up missing it, maybe I'm just so used to it that I don't notice it til it's gone, but I really don't forsee me being like "wow, this game needs vibration to be any good" lol.

I litterally get scared and start sweating....it lets me know its a huge kick and I better make it....I will miss it in certain games but for the most part its no big deal to me

Dude, I've had some games where I finish playing and I've got sweaty pits and my heart is pounding, lol. Those games mainly come with friends since we always have wager son em and stuff, but they get INTENSE sometimes.

Link
05-10-2006, 03:49 AM
Guys do more research. I know you guys won't like this but I like facts and here they are. http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html

Also, you guys do know Nintendo will have a standard controller version of the Wii? I will get the pic of it when I find it again. Again sorry, but I just want you guys to know the truth not the hype.

Agent51
05-10-2006, 05:57 AM
Guys do more research. I know you guys won't like this but I like facts and here they are. http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html

Also, you guys do know Nintendo will have a standard controller version of the Wii? I will get the pic of it when I find it again. Again sorry, but I just want you guys to know the truth not the hype.

Are you trying to tell us that the PS3's controller won't be able to perform the same way as the Wii's? If so, that has already been established and the debate is pretty much that Sony "stole" the idea for tilt sensitivity in general, not that they stole the exact capabilities of the "Wiimote" (ugh, what a dumb name :shakeno:)

Good find though :wink:

Alex44
05-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Are you trying to tell us that the PS3's controller won't be able to perform the same way as the Wii's? If so, that has already been established and the debate is pretty much that Sony "stole" the idea for tilt sensitivity in general, not that they stole the exact capabilities of the "Wiimote" (ugh, what a dumb name :shakeno:)

The Wiimote Contwoll

I like sony games and systems better than Microsoft or Nintendo nowdays......Sony would only steal a concept and improve it x10 not steal someone elses exact idea

dQbell
05-10-2006, 08:06 AM
I think when the PS3s controller is placed upright, in vertcal fashion, it vibrates, not shakes.

mor911
05-10-2006, 09:16 AM
I think I've figured out Nintendo's plan.... Sell some Wii's to fanboys and call it "Innovative" over and over again to justify the stupidity of that TV remote. Then sneak to Wii owner' homes and video tape them swinging swords and looking like absolute morons in front of their TVs... Then make millions of dollars winning America's Funniest Home Videos every week. :lol:

dQbell
05-10-2006, 09:22 AM
I think I've figured out Nintendo's plan.... Sell some Wii's to fanboys and call it "Innovative" over and over again to justify the stupidity of that TV remote. Then sneak to Wii owner' homes and video tape them swinging swords and looking like absolute morons in from of their TVs... Then make millions of dollars winning America's Funnies Home Videos every week.
:lol: I have to admit, the idea of swinging that thing around my living room would get the raised eyebrow from my wife. With this remote, Nintendo will again appeal to the 10-13 age group.

By the way, as a musician, I am completely insulted with that one guy acting like a conductor. That was a complete mess.

dQbell
05-10-2006, 09:24 AM

OMG, are they really calling it the Wiimote? :sidelol:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-10-2006, 10:02 AM
By the way, as a musician, I am completely insulted with that one guy acting like a conductor. That was a complete mess.
i'm the same way with the "guitar hero" game.

Dolfan11
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
The only difference I can think of is.... You point something instead of hold something. I like the PS3's idea more. Can be used for Flight, Driving, and FPS... Hold the controller sideways and use it for golf, fishing or batting. Then it can still be used for fighting games, and action games... Nintendo limited themselves (and their gamers) in the way they can play games with the TV remote and a few buttons.

Nintendo will make good use of the remote with some "innovative" 1st party titles like:

- Mario Fishing Wii
- Super Mario Wii
- Wario Ware Wii
- Clash Bros Wii
- Metroid Prime Wii
- Zelda Wii
- Mario Tennis Wii
- Mario Baseball Wii
- <EA Titles> Wii

The hits just keep on coming.

I can't wait. Wii and PS3 are on my list. I've always been a Sony and Nintendo fan before Microsoft. Sad to say, I only got the 360 while I wait for these two systems. With the lack luster of titles on the 360 (with the exception of some great ones) the rest are garbage. I think the Wii already has 31 total titles scheduled to be released on launch date. If that's right, that's great! Again, can't wait.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-10-2006, 11:56 AM
most launch games are pretty bad. i think it'll be even moreso for the wii, just because of the technology.

Medieval954
05-10-2006, 05:48 PM
I think I've figured out Nintendo's plan.... Sell some Wii's to fanboys and call it "Innovative" over and over again to justify the stupidity of that TV remote. Then sneak to Wii owner' homes and video tape them swinging swords and looking like absolute morons in front of their TVs... Then make millions of dollars winning America's Funniest Home Videos every week. :lol:

:sidelol:

Yeah, because playing with a toy guitar along with 80's rock tunes, dancing on a pad with arrows to 90's dance/techno and hopping around in front of a camera called an Eyetoy is much much cooler. :cooldude:

Agent51
05-10-2006, 06:00 PM
:sidelol:

Yeah, because playing with a toy guitar along with 80's rock tunes, dancing on a pad with arrows to 90's dance/techno and hopping around in front of a camera called an Eyetoy is much much cooler. :cooldude:

I will stab you in the gills if you ever make fun of Guitar Hero again :tantrum: :wink:

I give you free reign on DDR and EyeToy though :D :lol:

Medieval954
05-10-2006, 06:03 PM
:lol:

Just saying, if you're playing video games to look cool, you need a new hobby.

By the way, Guitar Hero is freakin awesome! If anyone has not purchased it, LEAVE RIGHT NOW AND GO BUY IT!!!! :D

Agent51
05-10-2006, 06:04 PM
:lol:

Just saying, if you're playing video games to look cool, you need a new hobby.

By the way, Guitar Hero is freakin awesome! If anyone has not purchased it, LEAVE RIGHT NOW AND GO BUY IT!!!! :D

GH2 in November, can't wait