PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Viper

Roman529
05-09-2006, 11:03 PM
I am having a great night. My older brother Greg came over to watch some NBA basketball with me. He showed up in a brand new 2006 Dodge Viper. It was a beautiful red color with a black soft top roof. He let me drive it around at halftime of the game. The car belongs to a caterer that my brother used to host my parent's 50th wedding anniversary this weekend. The car just flies. I think I was able to get it to 60 mph in about 4 seconds. I have driven a Corvette, and I think the Viper would smoke it. I haven't ever driven a Porsche or a Ferrari....someday maybe. :D Any of you guys ever drive/own a nice car? This car was sweet. My regular car is a Ford Explorer SUV.

Slappy8800
05-09-2006, 11:04 PM
my dream car...only i like the yellow with black stripes

unifiedtheory
05-09-2006, 11:20 PM
My buddy used to manage a Dodge lot in a Vancouver suburb and he let me take a Viper RT for a blast a few years back...it was almost scary how powerful the damn thing was....very cool.

I've driven a '69 Beaumont street rod (my buddy's old car....800 HP), my old bosses 70 1/2 Camaro RS/SS (MINT) and my ex girlfriends Audi TT (I beat the hell out of that thing...:evil:).

Myself, I've only owned a Probe GT ('94) and my old Jeep ('99 Wrangler with 35's and 9 inches of lift...I REALLY miss that thing when the sun is out).

Right now I drive a P.O.S. '95 Civic. Cheap insurence and cheap on gas. I do plan on buying something new in the next 2 years but I have no idea what it will be as of yet.

GreenMonster
05-10-2006, 12:09 AM
As a valet at some of the nicest spots in the ATL I have driven almost everything.. Many Ferrari's, Vipers, Porshe T, Mecedes SLR etc.. The fastest car I have parked was 900hp+ Twin Turbo Lingenfelter Vette.. Sweet ride.. The fastest car I have ragged out for a while was a Lawyers Z06 Vette which gets to 120 pretty quick..

ChrisKo
05-10-2006, 01:00 AM
I own a Mazda RX-7, but I've ridden in one of the fastest RX-7's on street tires.

Steve Kan's Veilside RX-7 is simply amazing. BTW< in the second video, the Miata he's racing is turbo'd, he wasn't picking on a stock Miata - http://www.importdrag.com/racers_ricstephens.shtml

Here's Steve's videos
http://www.dfw-rx7.com/video2/stevek.mpg
http://www.dfw-rx7.com/video/SteveKan/Qual-High.mpg

I've also ridden in Vettes, Vipers, Porsches.....all fun.

Slappy8800
05-10-2006, 01:03 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

:drool:

Agent51
05-10-2006, 04:26 AM
I am having a great night. My older brother Greg came over to watch some NBA basketball with me. He showed up in a brand new 2006 Dodge Viper. It was a beautiful red color with a black soft top roof. He let me drive it around at halftime of the game. The car belongs to a caterer that my brother used to host my parent's 50th wedding anniversary this weekend. The car just flies. I think I was able to get it to 60 mph in about 4 seconds. I have driven a Corvette, and I think the Viper would smoke it. I haven't ever driven a Porsche or a Ferrari....someday maybe. :D Any of you guys ever drive/own a nice car? This car was sweet. My regular car is a Ford Explorer SUV.

I HATE the new Vipers, they COMPLETELY ruined them. They USED to be my favorite car EVER, back when it looked like this:
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Now it just looks completely stupid and boxy.

On that note, I HAVE driven one, I rented one (well, I'm not 25 so my dad rented it for me) for Memorial day weekend once, and the thing is FAST. It is also very LOUD inside, lol (there was no stereo). I have also driven a Ferrari, numerous times actually (my boss owns THREE). I'd have to say, I think I prefer the Ferrari, and it is my new dream car (I've got a "Jason's Ferrari fund", lol, I WILL own one). My Boss own's a 2005 360 Modena Spyder, a 2003 360 Modena, and a 1994 348 TS. I have driven both 360s. The 2005 spyder has the paddle shifters, the 2003 has the normal stick shift. I must say that, while the paddle-shifters are kinda cool, NOTHING compares to driving a Ferrari with your standard stick. 90% of the fun of sports or muscle cars is in the shifting, and with the paddles you kinda lose that feel that you have total and completel control, it feels somewhere in the middle of a standard and an automatic. But man, flying around in a Ferrari with the stick shift manual, WOW, I can't even describe it (add that to the scenery in Hawai'i and it doesn't get any better, lol).

As far as Corvettes, eh, I don't care for them. I drove one that my dad's friend owns, and the coolest part was it had a HUD (Heads-Up Display) that projected the speed stuff up onto the windshield in a transparent orange color, it was SICK.

I've also drive the Ford GT, and that has some MAJOR power, almost on the brink of feeling like you have zero control.

I've never driven a Porsche, but I have been in one, and I don't like them at all.

I've also never driven a Lambo, and I'd love to try one out.

icephinfan
05-10-2006, 04:28 AM
We rented one in vegas, sweet.

painnotpleasure
05-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Viper has always been my dream car... awesome.

aznkioken
07-06-2006, 03:24 AM
Zo6 any day over a Viper

dolfan_101
07-06-2006, 04:00 AM
Zo6 any day over a Viper

:sidelol: no

Pagan
07-06-2006, 06:34 AM
I've also drive the Ford GT, and that has some MAJOR power, almost on the brink of feeling like you have zero control.
I got that same feeling. Almost as if you were just a passenger even though you were holding the wheel.

Kinda like climbing aboard a bull at a rodeo.

Dors156
07-06-2006, 02:58 PM
my family has a black gt mustang.it goes 150.it flies.my bro has a lifted jeep rubicon which is cool.my dream car is a 350 z

Philter25
07-06-2006, 03:32 PM
:sidelol: no Actually, if your posted age is true, and since you are 15, you have probably owned and driven in both cars and can make a comparison.

In 2006, I believe the z06 is a V8 rated at 505 hp, weighs in at 3200 lbs, and costs about 64k. Numerous sources have pegged the z06 at 3.6ish 0-60, and 0-100 in 7.9 seconds.

In 2006, the Viper is a V10 rated at 510 hp, weighs in at 3400 lbs, and costs about 84k. Numerous sources have pegged the viper at 3.9ish 0-60

The z06 handles better than the Viper, produces roughly the same exact hp, weighs roughly 200 lbs lighter, and does the 0-60 in a fraction of a second faster, AND costs 20k less.

But of course, you already knew that.

Dolfan81
07-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Yes please, ive always want a viper, but ive faced the facts that i will nvr be able to afford 1, so im gettin a mustang

dolfan_101
07-07-2006, 03:23 AM
Actually, if your posted age is true, and since you are 15, you have probably owned and driven in both cars and can make a comparison.

In 2006, I believe the z06 is a V8 rated at 505 hp, weighs in at 3200 lbs, and costs about 64k. Numerous sources have pegged the z06 at 3.6ish 0-60, and 0-100 in 7.9 seconds.

In 2006, the Viper is a V10 rated at 510 hp, weighs in at 3400 lbs, and costs about 84k. Numerous sources have pegged the viper at 3.9ish 0-60

The z06 handles better than the Viper, produces roughly the same exact hp, weighs roughly 200 lbs lighter, and does the 0-60 in a fraction of a second faster, AND costs 20k less.

But of course, you already knew that.

Actually i have driven in a Viper. On many occasions. You don't know my family biz bro. That is obvious. I'll take a Viper in a drag anyday. It's more than just HP, and Wt. It's torque, gear ratio, trans., aerodinamics. All of these effect the cars performance. A simple gear change can cut seconds out of ur 1/4 mi. ET. And i can tell u didn't know that.

Dolfan81
07-07-2006, 03:48 AM
Actually i have driven in a Viper. On many occasions. You don't know my family biz bro. That is obvious. I'll take a Viper in a drag anyday. It's more than just HP, and Wt. It's torque, gear ratio, trans., aerodinamics. All of these effect the cars performance. A simple gear change can cut seconds out of ur 1/4 mi. ET. And i can tell u didn't know that.

alrite wat is ur familes biz, and how have u driven a viper many timz at the age of 15, and no the videos games and sittin in the passengers side wit ur little fake steerin wheel wen u were five, dnt count

dolfan_101
07-07-2006, 04:00 AM
alrite wat is ur familes biz, and how have u driven a viper many timz at the age of 15, and no the videos games and sittin in the passengers side wit ur little fake steerin wheel wen u were five, dnt count

family biz. is racing. car dealing. car painting. car restoring. my grandfather is in the NHRA hall of fame. When your family is Cars, you come across amazing automobiles. and our specialties are mopars. which i seriously doubt u know what a mopar is without looking it up on google.

Dolfan81
07-07-2006, 04:05 AM
ill admit it i have no idea wat a mopar is and maybe u no wat ur talkin about but, driven a viper many timz at the age of 15, How?

dolfan_101
07-07-2006, 04:09 AM
ill admit it i have no idea wat a mopar is and maybe u no wat ur talkin about but, driven a viper many timz at the age of 15, How?

never driven just sunken into the back of my seat in one. my dad has friends. some are rich. very rich lol.

Philter25
07-07-2006, 09:33 AM

You obviously havent read any of the past car threads before....

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=108013&highlight=autocross

Read the posts I made in there and tell me I have no idea whats goin on. :lol:

If you are talking about a simple gear change, its ALSO something easily you can do in a vette. STOCK VS STOCK, a Z06 comes better equipped for the buck. Its 20k cheaper and for most americans what they would do with it, it performs better. If you wanna get into a debate about changing the gears in a Viper, what do you think I can do with 20k on a STOCK Z06? :lol: An 84k Viper, which is slightly outclassed by a 64K Z06 bone stock and the Z06 gives you 20k in your pocket.

Also, how many "seconds" do you think a gear change can cut off your 1/4 mile on a stock Viper? Be careful with your answer, its a trick question.... better go ask your father.

If you want to talk modifications, you need to take price into account. You wanna race a guy with a modded Z06 that had 20k to spend on it with a stock Viper? I dont think so.

Autocross > Drag Racing anyday of the week....... (wheres Pagan:lol: )

Pagan
07-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Autocross = Soccer
Drag Racing = NFL Football :tongue: :evil: :lol:

Philter25
07-07-2006, 09:56 AM
Autocross = Soccer
Drag Racing = NFL Football :tongue: :evil: :lol: Ahhh I put out a feeler and you pounce on it. :lol:

I can dig that analogy. Its a pretty good one if you think about the similarities......

The most popular sport worldwide (soccer) vs the most popular sport in the United States ONLY (NFL). Completely agree. :wink:

Autocross action and the plays are long and continuous and the main plays are intermittently spurted (like soccer). Dragracing you have a handful of seconds per play and then everything stops once those few seconds are over(like NFL). Completly agree. :wink:

Pagan
07-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Ahhh I put out a feeler and you pounce on it. :lol:

I can dig that analogy. Its a pretty good one if you think about the similarities......

The most popular sport worldwide (soccer) vs the most popular sport in the United States ONLY (NFL). Completely agree. :wink:

Autocross action and the plays are long and continuous and the main plays are intermittently spurted (like soccer). Dragracing you have a handful of seconds per play and then everything stops once those few seconds are over(like NFL). Completly agree. :wink:
Exactly why I made that analogy. :wink:

Neither one is better than the other. They's all good. :D

Motion
07-07-2006, 10:30 AM
I've driven a 400+hp Subaru WRX that handled like a dream. That thing was absolutely on rails!

dolfan_101
07-07-2006, 02:46 PM
You obviously havent read any of the past car threads before....

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=108013&highlight=autocross

Read the posts I made in there and tell me I have no idea whats goin on. :lol:

If you are talking about a simple gear change, its ALSO something easily you can do in a vette. STOCK VS STOCK, a Z06 comes better equipped for the buck. Its 20k cheaper and for most americans what they would do with it, it performs better. If you wanna get into a debate about changing the gears in a Viper, what do you think I can do with 20k on a STOCK Z06? :lol: An 84k Viper, which is slightly outclassed by a 64K Z06 bone stock and the Z06 gives you 20k in your pocket.

Also, how many "seconds" do you think a gear change can cut off your 1/4 mile on a stock Viper? Be careful with your answer, its a trick question.... better go ask your father.

If you want to talk modifications, you need to take price into account. You wanna race a guy with a modded Z06 that had 20k to spend on it with a stock Viper? I dont think so.

hahaha what are you a used car salesman. I was just saying. I'll take a Viper over a Z06 anyday. And depending on the gear ratio change it can take SECONDS off. And autocross is the weakest motorsport out there. Dragracing is the only motorsport worth watching.

Lappy
07-07-2006, 03:43 PM
Here's the hottest Whip!

Nobody rides like me!

http://marcus.ninjacoder.com/rx7/ (http://marcus.ninjacoder.com/rx7/)

.....actually it's a buddy's car he's the guy in the pictures we just love to make fun of this pile of dog doo.

Philter25
07-07-2006, 03:48 PM
hahaha what are you a used car salesman. I was just saying. I'll take a Viper over a Z06 anyday. And depending on the gear ratio change it can take SECONDS off. And autocross is the weakest motorsport out there. Dragracing is the only motorsport worth watching. Yup im a used car salesman..... dont insult me kid. I guess thats what I deserve for trying to have a intelligent debate with a 15 year old who claims to be an automotive guru because his family is in the business. Although the entire Baldwin family are actors, that doesnt mean Stephen automatically can. :lol:

As for your bit on the gear ratio's, as I said before, you can do the SAME thing with a Viper you can with a Z06, heck Pagan might even be considering it with his Mustang. To SHORTLY answer the trick question without going into a 5 page diatribe on gear ratios:

The stock Viper I believe is 3.07 in the rear. Upping the ratio to a 3.73 or a 4.10 will increase the torque maybe 20-30% to the rear wheels. Since you are a drag expert, you should know that. Its a simple mathematical forumla.

Also, you should probably know that you can get as much power from an engine as you want, but that doesnt mean that the car will be able to put that power to the ground. An increased ratio from 3.07 to 3.73 or 4.10 will translate to maybe .3-.5 seconds off your 0-60 time BUT will also result in a lot of rear wheel slippage from the stock wheels. It also changes your shift points so you might not hit the traps in the gear you are looking for at a high RPM...... but thats another 5 page discussion.

Without racing slicks or Rcomps, you will never see a "SECONDS" difference from a gear ratio change on stock tires with a Viper. Just a lot more wheelspin at the line.

Used Car Salesman. Out.

UltraDol-Fan
07-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Here's the hottest Whip!

Nobody rides like me!

http://marcus.ninjacoder.com/rx7/ (http://marcus.ninjacoder.com/rx7/)

.....actually it's a buddy's car he's the guy in the pictures we just love to make fun of this pile of dog doo.

Nothing wrong with that car...I had an '83 RX-7 and that thing was a beast! Wish I still had it.

Philter25
07-10-2006, 01:55 PM
RX-7 = :yes:

Actually im kinda phasing out autocross. Theres a new sport we are starting called dualcross. You do the course on 2 wheels. In 2004 when I was in Japan on travel I took out the beater for a test run and my buddy got it on video. Check this:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/49020A5C-E070-4BF6-B13E-F859A38DB45F.htm

It took awhile to perfect and you can only do it in RWD cars. You need to drift and then right when the car is about to get on edge you need to let it float and catch it in the air. I rolled the thing about 10 times before I finally got the hang of it.

dolfan_101
07-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Yup im a used car salesman..... dont insult me kid. I guess thats what I deserve for trying to have a intelligent debate with a 15 year old who claims to be an automotive guru because his family is in the business. Although the entire Baldwin family are actors, that doesnt mean Stephen automatically can. :lol:

As for your bit on the gear ratio's, as I said before, you can do the SAME thing with a Viper you can with a Z06, heck Pagan might even be considering it with his Mustang. To SHORTLY answer the trick question without going into a 5 page diatribe on gear ratios:

The stock Viper I believe is 3.07 in the rear. Upping the ratio to a 3.73 or a 4.10 will increase the torque maybe 20-30% to the rear wheels. Since you are a drag expert, you should know that. Its a simple mathematical forumla.

Also, you should probably know that you can get as much power from an engine as you want, but that doesnt mean that the car will be able to put that power to the ground. An increased ratio from 3.07 to 3.73 or 4.10 will translate to maybe .3-.5 seconds off your 0-60 time BUT will also result in a lot of rear wheel slippage from the stock wheels. It also changes your shift points so you might not hit the traps in the gear you are looking for at a high RPM...... but thats another 5 page discussion.

Without racing slicks or Rcomps, you will never see a "SECONDS" difference from a gear ratio change on stock tires with a Viper. Just a lot more wheelspin at the line.

Used Car Salesman. Out.

U call me kid i call u used used car salesman, it works out beautifully. Anyways, yes you are correct about the tire change indeed, if you are planning on putting mondo gears. We all know if u have built a car for the drag the hardest thing to do is balance RPM's, tire size, and rear axle strength. No use putting in fat gears if your gonna break an axle. But from my personal experience, i am pretty sure you can use 4.10's on a Viper with minimal tire slippage. My father had an all original 1970 roadrunner 440 sixpack, pistol grip 4-speed, with 4.10's. And on a full throttle from start to finish drag he had minimal tire slippage, on factory tires. It also definantly depends on the driver and his knowelege of his cars abilities.
</IMG>