PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive Demo Available on XBL

dQbell
05-10-2006, 08:04 AM
It's about 483 MBs. They're calling it a MOOR: Massively Open Online Racer.

EDIT: By the way, the demo lets you play online across 40 miles, and they point out that it is a work in progress and does not represent final code.

Agent51
05-10-2006, 08:33 AM
It's about 483 MBs. They're calling it a MOOR: Massively Open Online Racer.

EDIT: By the way, the demo lets you play online across 40 miles, and they point out that it is a work in progress and does not represent final code.

This game is the reason I bought a 360 right now instead of waiting.

UltraDol-Fan
05-10-2006, 09:11 AM
i tried to download it last night but it was taking forever, I'll hopefully get it tonight

dQbell
05-10-2006, 09:16 AM
This game is the reason I bought a 360 right now instead of waiting.

Yeah, it's pretty neat. I played it for a little bit, then let my 2 year old mess with it. Kinda funny.

I like the inside the car view. It seems to run fairly well. There were a few guys online, but I didn't bother racing anyone. My only gripe is that there are some jaggies. Also, the character models have that choppy look to them. I would expect them to clean that up. I look forward to playing it more this afternoon. It's fun.

mor911
05-10-2006, 09:18 AM
It's a cool game. The inside car view is awesome (Shelby looks 100% legit). But the demo has some crashing bugs when playing online. I'm sure that'll be ironed out prior to launching the game. When's it release?

Agent51
05-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Yeah, it's pretty neat. I played it for a little bit, then let my 2 year old mess with it. Kinda funny.

I like the inside the car view. It seems to run fairly well. There were a few guys online, but I didn't bother racing anyone. My only gripe is that there are some jaggies. Also, the character models have that choppy look to them. I would expect them to clean that up. I look forward to playing it more this afternoon. It's fun.

I have still yet to have the time to DL the demo, I can't wait. BTW, I wanna know what's going on with this game, because for the longest time the release date has been June 20th and now a bunch of the message boards over at IGN are saying SEPTEMBER, yet the IGN preview page still says June :confused: I'm gonna be pretty pissed if I just bought a 360 now for this game in a month and it gets pushed back 4 months :fire:

UltraDol-Fan
05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
June 20, 2006 hopefully.
http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/747/747892.html

Dolfan11
05-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Can someone help explain this game a little more. You make a character, and your main objective is to race. Yet, you can buy houses, cars, bikes, parts, clothes? Is there anything to beat? I'm thinking this is like the Sims, with racing.

UltraDol-Fan
05-10-2006, 10:52 AM
I think of it like World of Warcraft with cars in Hawaii. Everyone plays online at the same time, you all drive around, and you can organize races and whatnot, I think by flashing your lights at other cars and challenging them to a race.

Agent51
05-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Can someone help explain this game a little more. You make a character, and your main objective is to race. Yet, you can buy houses, cars, bikes, parts, clothes? Is there anything to beat? I'm thinking this is like the Sims, with racing.

From what I've gathered:

You create your driver and I THINK when playing online you can go into bars and resaurants to challenge other racers, along with challenging while driving (probably by flashing the headlights).

You buy houses to store cars, because like in GTA, each garage is only so big. Also, the houses allow you to change clothes/looks etc too. It's cool because you go to actual real estate agencies and look at houses. It's also cool because you can own property all over the island, from the STUNNINGLY beautiful North Shore to the city of Honolulu and everything in between. It's be crazy if MY house was in there, lol

In terms of buying cars, like the real estate you go to the individual manufacturers dealerships (Lambo, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc) to buy those cars. You can brows the cars and sit inside them, roll up and down the windows (and the top if it's a convertible), honk the horn, rev the engine, and check out the radio (not sure if all of this is available in the demo, haven't gotten to DL it yet). In terms of buying parts, when at the dealership you have all the options of REAL life. SO when you go to buy a Ferrari from the dealer you can only pick the colors/interiors/rims that are option to add in REAL life, which keeps it SUPER realistic. I'm not sure if you can go to a place after and add "aftermarket" rims or change the interior or paint that way, but these are all pretyt amazing cars by some GREAT manufacturers, so the "factory" stuff itself is usually just as cool as aftermarket. I HAVE read that you can buy engine/part upgrades, but they are like the Need For Speed series ones, where it's just "level 1, level 2, level 3" and so on.

In terms of offline story, I'm not sure if there is an actual linear story, of if there is just a series of races/challenges to complete to become the best in Hawai'i. I DO know there are missions aside form just racing. The two I know of are where you have to drive someone to a certain place and where you have to deliver someone's car to them at a certain place. Tese events are, naturally, timed, and you can lose them not only by running out of time but by taking too much damage to the car. This seems like a cool little twist to change it up from STRICTLY racing.

For online play, I'm not sure if there is any sort of goals, but I do know of a cool feature where it displays the top 10 (or some number) players in a certain categorey in your area. For example., you can choose to see the top 10 players in your skill range, the top 10 players period, 10 of your friends etc etc. Again, not sure if 10 is the actual number, but this is a cool feature. Also a REALLY cool online feature is the ability to AUCTION your car off. There is a photo mode, although not much has been said about it, so we don't know if it's like PGR's or not, but you take pics of your car and the put it for auction online. I believe there are two different ways to sell it. One is "quick" sell and they have a set price for the car. You can also set your own "starting" price if of the auction and then other players can start bidding on your car. This way obviously may take a lot more time, but it will net you more money than the "quick auction" way. The money your car fetches in auction goes into your in game bank account, to use towards new cars/real estate/etc.

I have also heard rumors that they will be adding some more cars in the future for download and there is even talks of some "rare" cars being added, meanign they would put a car up for auction and only have a certain number of them, so once they are bought, they are gone, meaning not EVERY gamer would get the super rare cars like they would the normal car updates. I personally LOVE that idea (until I lose out on some AMAZING car, lol, then I'll prolly ***** about it), it really gives you a sense of trying to accomplish something with your money, plsu you'd have a sort of "status symbol" in the game should you score one of these "rare" cars since you and maybe a handful of other players, out of THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS, would be the ONLY ones with that particular car.

This game sounds IN-FRIGGIN-SANE, lol, I cannot wait for it, and it BETTER come out June 20th like IGN says and not be pushed back to September like some message boards are saying now.

Dolfan11
05-11-2006, 02:51 PM
From what I've gathered:

You create your driver and I THINK when playing online you can go into bars and resaurants to challenge other racers, along with challenging while driving (probably by flashing the headlights).

You buy houses to store cars, because like in GTA, each garage is only so big. Also, the houses allow you to change clothes/looks etc too. It's cool because you go to actual real estate agencies and look at houses. It's also cool because you can own property all over the island, from the STUNNINGLY beautiful North Shore to the city of Honolulu and everything in between. It's be crazy if MY house was in there, lol

In terms of buying cars, like the real estate you go to the individual manufacturers dealerships (Lambo, Mercedes, Ferrari, etc) to buy those cars. You can brows the cars and sit inside them, roll up and down the windows (and the top if it's a convertible), honk the horn, rev the engine, and check out the radio (not sure if all of this is available in the demo, haven't gotten to DL it yet). In terms of buying parts, when at the dealership you have all the options of REAL life. SO when you go to buy a Ferrari from the dealer you can only pick the colors/interiors/rims that are option to add in REAL life, which keeps it SUPER realistic. I'm not sure if you can go to a place after and add "aftermarket" rims or change the interior or paint that way, but these are all pretyt amazing cars by some GREAT manufacturers, so the "factory" stuff itself is usually just as cool as aftermarket. I HAVE read that you can buy engine/part upgrades, but they are like the Need For Speed series ones, where it's just "level 1, level 2, level 3" and so on.

In terms of offline story, I'm not sure if there is an actual linear story, of if there is just a series of races/challenges to complete to become the best in Hawai'i. I DO know there are missions aside form just racing. The two I know of are where you have to drive someone to a certain place and where you have to deliver someone's car to them at a certain place. Tese events are, naturally, timed, and you can lose them not only by running out of time but by taking too much damage to the car. This seems like a cool little twist to change it up from STRICTLY racing.

For online play, I'm not sure if there is any sort of goals, but I do know of a cool feature where it displays the top 10 (or some number) players in a certain categorey in your area. For example., you can choose to see the top 10 players in your skill range, the top 10 players period, 10 of your friends etc etc. Again, not sure if 10 is the actual number, but this is a cool feature. Also a REALLY cool online feature is the ability to AUCTION your car off. There is a photo mode, although not much has been said about it, so we don't know if it's like PGR's or not, but you take pics of your car and the put it for auction online. I believe there are two different ways to sell it. One is "quick" sell and they have a set price for the car. You can also set your own "starting" price if of the auction and then other players can start bidding on your car. This way obviously may take a lot more time, but it will net you more money than the "quick auction" way. The money your car fetches in auction goes into your in game bank account, to use towards new cars/real estate/etc.

I have also heard rumors that they will be adding some more cars in the future for download and there is even talks of some "rare" cars being added, meanign they would put a car up for auction and only have a certain number of them, so once they are bought, they are gone, meaning not EVERY gamer would get the super rare cars like they would the normal car updates. I personally LOVE that idea (until I lose out on some AMAZING car, lol, then I'll prolly ***** about it), it really gives you a sense of trying to accomplish something with your money, plsu you'd have a sort of "status symbol" in the game should you score one of these "rare" cars since you and maybe a handful of other players, out of THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS, would be the ONLY ones with that particular car.

This game sounds IN-FRIGGIN-SANE, lol, I cannot wait for it, and it BETTER come out June 20th like IGN says and not be pushed back to September like some message boards are saying now.

Thanks bro for the excellent info. The game really sounds incredible now, and based on that I'll be looking to pick it up. One concern I do have though. What if you have some a-hole online who is bored and doesn't care. He decides to just crash into you for no apparent reason. This sucks, because you're going to have to dish out the cash to repair the car. Any word on how they would penalize or compensate either party in this case? Or just do nothing at all?

Pagan
05-11-2006, 03:23 PM
PLEASE tell me that it's not just exotics, and that they have old muscle cars too....PLEASE! :lol:

Agent51
05-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks bro for the excellent info. The game really sounds incredible now, and based on that I'll be looking to pick it up. One concern I do have though. What if you have some a-hole online who is bored and doesn't care. He decides to just crash into you for no apparent reason. This sucks, because you're going to have to dish out the cash to repair the car. Any word on how they would penalize or compensate either party in this case? Or just do nothing at all?

No car damage, for this very reason. I am STILL waiting for a game to feature expensive, licensed cars that get dynamic damage, meaning damage where you actually hit, and in accordance to what it would be in real life. However, for something that is THIS focused on online play I think the decision not to get damage works. Another cool "safety" feature they have is, when you enter a race online, you warp to your own world. That is a bad explaination, but it's the only way I can describe it, lol. Basically, say you roll up to someone to race, but he has like 3 bddies around or something. Well, when you enter the race, you will still be in the same place and everything, except NO other users will be there, just you and the people in the race (and AI traffic of course). This is AWESOME. THis means that you can race some guy who has a bunch of friends driving around just to try and slam and disrupt you so he wins the race, inflating his stats and money.

Agent51
05-11-2006, 03:49 PM
PLEASE tell me that it's not just exotics, and that they have old muscle cars too....PLEASE! :lol:

Have no fear Pagan:
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/testdriveunlimited20060502025809913-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/testdriveunlimited20060501025748578-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/testdriveunlimited20060501025802171-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/testdriveunlimited20060501025803436-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/testdriveunlimited20051111025358342-1.jpg

Agent51
05-11-2006, 03:54 PM
and....:
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/testdriveunlimited20051111025400248-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/testdriveunlimited20051111025401623-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/testdriveunlimited20051111025430414-1.jpg

(not a mustang, but I saw you post about one of these once)
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/testdriveunlimited20051111025419263-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/testdriveunlimited20050518034842912-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/pree32005testdriveunlimitedscreens200505-1.jpg
:up:

UltraDol-Fan
05-11-2006, 04:43 PM
finally finished downloading the demo...it looks good. The multiplayer experience definitely sets this one apart. The only gripe I had was I was parked in the rode for a little bit playing with the windows and whatnot and some AI car bumped me a little bit when going by, then the cops came and gave ME a ticket. :(

Agent51
05-11-2006, 05:43 PM
finally finished downloading the demo...it looks good. The multiplayer experience definitely sets this one apart. The only gripe I had was I was parked in the rode for a little bit playing with the windows and whatnot and some AI car bumped me a little bit when going by, then the cops came and gave ME a ticket. :(

Well, was the ticket for parking in the middle of the road or was it for a hit and run? If it was the former, it was justified, if it was the latter, you've got a civil case :D

Agent51
05-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Bad News, it's delayed until SEPTEMBER 12th :fire:. IGN still lists it as June 20th, but everywhere else, including Game Informer and EB Games. There isn't a release date on the official website, and I have yet to DL the demo, soes it have an OFFICIAL release date in the demo anywhere?

*EDIT* Nevermind, just watched a trailer on the official site and it said available SEPTEMBER. Man, I am PISSED right now, the game was ORIGINALLY supposed to be out in JANUARY!

UltraDol-Fan
05-15-2006, 07:14 PM
lame

Agent51
05-15-2006, 07:26 PM
lame

VERY.

CRAP! I just read on the Test Drive official site that the demo is "available for download May 8th-May 14th"!!!! I'm not home right now to check, and won't be for like 2 days, but can anyone with a 360 tell me if the demo is still available!? I STILL have yet to get a chance to DL it, and I'm going to be PISSED if the demo isn't available anymore AFTER just finding out it was delayed 'til September! If it isn't still available, is there anyone to connect with another user over XBL who DOES have it and DL it from them?

xDOLPHINSx
05-15-2006, 09:35 PM
I downloaded it earlier today, at around 4 central. I dunno if that helps.

Agent51
05-15-2006, 09:40 PM
I downloaded it earlier today, at around 4 central. I dunno if that helps.

Yea, it does, cuz today is the 15th and the site said 8th-14th, lol, so they must've just named those dates because it was the week of E3 or something. Thanks for the info man, how is the game BTW?