PDA

View Full Version : Cingular Pulls Ringtone Deemed Offensive

BAMAPHIN 22
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Cingular Wireless pulled a ringtone from its Web site Tuesday after learning that it carried a message the company called "blatantly offensive."

The Atlanta-based cell phone company became aware of the ringtone, which uses mixed English and Spanish and threatens deportation, after an inquiry from a reporter for The Brownsville Herald.

The newspaper reported in its online edition Tuesday that the ringtone started with a siren, followed by a male voice saying in a Southern drawl, "This is la Migra," a slang term for the Border Patrol.

"Por favor, put the oranges down and step away from the cell phone. I repeat-o, put the oranges down and step away from the telephone-o. I'm deporting you back home-o," the voice continued.

Hispanic activists called the product racist.

http://articles.news.aol.com/business/article.adp?id=20060510011009990007&cid=2194

Pagan
05-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Yea, but it's fine and dandy when Nintendo releases a game that starts off with a blatently stereotypical bushy-mustached man saying "HEY! IT'S-A ME....MARIO!!!"

:rolleyes:

Personally, I find BOTH those things hilarious! :lol:

NaboCane
05-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Yea, but it's fine and dandy when Nintendo releases a game that starts off with a blatently stereotypical bushy-mustached man saying "HEY! IT'S-A ME....MARIO!!!"

:rolleyes:

Personally, I find BOTH those things hilarious! :lol:

Mario's not saying, "Ey! Putta downa da stroodle, Ima gonna deporta yoo!"

PassRush
05-10-2006, 03:07 PM
That is stupid. I am glad I dont work for that company anymore. I have Cowboys from hell as my ringtone and it is not about to change any time soon

Pagan
05-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Mario's not saying, "Ey! Putta downa da stroodle, Ima gonna deporta yoo!"
Stereotypes are stereotypes bro. The only reason why this one's any more visible is because of the old phrase, "the crying baby gets the most milk." :wink:

Timmy54
05-10-2006, 09:26 PM
i want a ring tone of a woman during climax, that would totally get the women at work all upset/

Samphin
05-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Hmmm, I am not a prude, but that does sound pretty bad. However, I suppose if people are offended by it, they don't have to download the ringtone and can simply ignore anyone that has it...

miamikid92
05-10-2006, 10:08 PM
who cares about ringtones

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Nappy Roots
05-10-2006, 10:18 PM
ummm....that seems pretty bad to me....

Clark Kent
05-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Pl
Stereotypes are stereotypes bro. The only reason why this one's any more visible is because of the old phrase, "the crying baby gets the most milk." :wink: Exactly... Plus the quote gave me a chuckle.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-11-2006, 12:42 AM
just one of the many terrible things lawyers have done to this country.