PDA

View Full Version : Howard says no to terrestrial radio return

BAMAPHIN 22
05-10-2006, 02:32 PM
No censorship, no fines, no Federal Communications Commission. It's no wonder Howard Stern announced Wednesday that there's no way he would abandon satellite radio for a return to traditional broadcasting.

"I'm very flattered terrestrial radio can't let go of me," Stern said on his morning radio show. "But I would throw up if I had to go back. I'm never going back."

The self-proclaimed King of All Media said that three companies have made overtures through his agent for a terrestrial deal, but there was no interest from his end. He did not name the companies, although radio industry expert Tom Taylor said it was no surprise that Stern would draw such attention.

"He's a terrific talent, and star talent is always going to be in demand," said Taylor, editor of the trade publication Inside Radio.

Stern, five months into a five-year, $500 million contract with Sirius Satellite Radio, said he was thrilled by the show's evolution since his January arrival. When Stern announced his move in October 2004, Sirius had about 650,000 subscribers. That figure now stands above 4 million.

"I've never been happier," Stern said. "We're flying high and doing great."

http://www.southflorida.com/news/ny-etstern0511,0,5356397.story?coll=sfe-news-headlines

AquaInferno
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Yes he'd be a gigantic fool to return to the FCC infestation known as FM radio.