PDA

View Full Version : 15 Years.. 4 to Serve.. The Death of 100.

FIN-IN-RI
05-10-2006, 05:29 PM
What do you folks think about the judges decision? Was it fair? Do you think he should be held 100% accountable for what happened that night?

I knew a few people that died and were injured severely in the fire but nothing close though, to have known them and loved them the way their families do.

The man is genuinely remorseful for what occured that night. No one can take back what happened that night and no matter what sentence, IMO, can serve true justice or closure to the victims families.

Celtkin
05-10-2006, 05:43 PM
What do you folks think about the judges decision? Was it fair? Do you think he should be held 100% accountable for what happened that night?

I knew a few people that died and were injured severely in the fire but nothing close though, to have known them and loved them the way their families do.

The man is genuinely remorseful for what occured that night. No one can take back what happened that night and no matter what sentence, IMO, can serve true justice or closure to the victims families.

I think that given the fact that there was no malice in his actions and, as you noted, he seems truly devastated by the accident, that the sentence is fair.

Accidents, even big ones like this that caused 100 deaths, do happen.

My prayers are with the families who I hope will get some closure from this turn of the page in this chapter of their lives.

FiN.in.RI, I'm sorry for your loss. How do you feel about the sentence?

Spray Mucus
05-10-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm assuming this was the fire that broke out on stage in that little club a few years back?

I forgett the details but remember seeing it all over the news at the time.

FIN-IN-RI
05-10-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm assuming this was the fire that broke out on stage in that little club a few years back?

I forgett the details but remember seeing it all over the news at the time.

You are correct. The Station nightclub in Warwick. The man just convicted of involuntary manslaughter, the band manager, lit the pyrotechnics resulting in the fire.

Spray Mucus
05-10-2006, 05:52 PM
You are correct. The Station nightclub in Warwick. The man just convicted of involuntary manslaughter, the band manager, lit the pyrotechnics resulting in the fire.

gotcha!

yeah I remember seeing the images, what a terrible event and what a horrible way to die. :(

FIN-IN-RI
05-10-2006, 05:56 PM
I think that given the fact that there was no malice in his actions and, as you noted, he seems truly devastated by the accident, that the sentence is fair.

Accidents, even big ones like this that caused 100 deaths, do happen.

My prayers are with the families who I hope will get some closure from this turn of the page in this chapter of their lives.

FiN.in.RI, I'm sorry for your loss. How do you feel about the sentence?

Thank you, Celtikin. My heart bleeds for all of the families.

I feel that that the sentence was just, I think that any more than 4 years to serve would have been too many. He, for all intents and purposes thought that what he was doing was "safe". (how safe pyrotechnics can be in a small club is beyond me)

I believe that the fire marshall should be the one who gets the harshest sentence of all because he declared there to be no fire hazard in the club, but of course being that he is so well connected, won't even get indicted. The next harshest sentence should come to the owners of the club, the Dederians, for obvious reasons.

I really feel for Beichel (sp). His genuine remorse for the families and victims really hit home with me.

FIN-IN-RI
05-10-2006, 05:57 PM
gotcha!

yeah I remember seeing the images, what a terrible event and what a horrible way to die. :(

I was working in my hospital the night after it happend. Horrific. :shakeno:

Agent51
05-10-2006, 06:12 PM

I was still living in RI when that happened. No, I do NOT think he should be serving time. If ANYONE should be it should be the owners of the club, as the club was way over capacity and thus caused the bottleneck when trying to exit that ultimately trapped everyone and killed 100. I don't think ANYONE should go to jail, as it was an ACCIDENT, but IF you need to send someone, it should be the owners who allowed it to get over capicity.

FIN-IN-RI
05-10-2006, 06:16 PM
I was still living in RI when that happened. No, I do NOT think he should be serving time. If ANYONE should be it should be the owners of the club, as the club was way over capacity and thus caused the bottleneck when trying to exit that ultimately trapped everyone and killed 100. I don't think ANYONE should go to jail, as it was an ACCIDENT, but IF you need to send someone, it should be the owners who allowed it to get over capicity.

Oh believe me, the owners will be going. Longer than Beichel (sp) thats for sure. Micheal Derderian's trial starts 7/31.

A big part of me feels that Beichel shouldn't go to jail either. It's just such a messed up situation though.

Spray Mucus
05-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Oh believe me, the owners will be going. Longer than Beichel (sp) thats for sure. Micheal Derderian's trial starts 7/31.

A big part of me feels that Beichel shouldn't go to jail either. It's just such a messed up situation though.

I agree, Imagine living with that the rest of your life, accidently killig 100 people, then having to lose 15 years of your life for it.

I can only imagine the nightmares and remorse and how many times he told himself in his head "why did I even light that thing"...

I feel pretty bad for him.

Agent51
05-10-2006, 06:31 PM

I totally agree. I personally don't know anyone who was there, or anyone who knew someone that was there, but still, it's a sensative subject, that story ROCKED our little state.

I still don't think the guy should've gotten 4 years to serve, again, it was an ACCIDENT. I believe the owners had better go to jail or all hell is going to break lose. THEY are responsible for breaking the fire code, and the resulting 100 deaths, and don't tell me they DIDN'T know about the pyro. C'mon, I'm in the club business, and I know that when the bands are setting up the managers (and owners if they are there) are always walkign around making sure everything is to code and figuring out the best placement for things, all the way up until right before the show starts.

Agent51
05-10-2006, 06:33 PM
I agree, Imagine living with that the rest of your life, accidently killig 100 people, then having to lose 15 years of your life for it.

I can only imagine the nightmares and remorse and how many times he told himself in his head "why did I even light that thing"...

I feel pretty bad for him.

Well he got 15 but only has to serve 4, the remaining 11 are suspended, meaning he is on probation and if he screws up he goes back to serve the remaining 11.

Spray Mucus
05-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Well he got 15 but only has to serve 4, the remaining 11 are suspended, meaning he is on probation and if he screws up he goes back to serve the remaining 11.

I read it wrong, I thought it said "4 served" meaning he has already got a credit for 4 years.

either way, a terrible event for EVERYBODY involved.

sugarcane
05-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Makes me glad we own a little bar in a little town.I would hate to have to worry about sh!t like pyrotechnics.We're happy when they just sound good.

Sad day for the band manager though.The weight of the world...

Roman529
05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't think putting this guy in jail for four years is the right decision. It doesn't bring back the people who died, and it was a terrible accident. I know this guy will have to live with this the rest of his life. I think the judge could have sentenced him to maybe work somewhere for four years and donating his paycheck to the families, or some charity? They should never have jammed that many people into the club and they should have had more emergency exits. I saw Great White in the mid 80's...it is sad that the fire is all most people will remember them by. Songs like Save All Your Love, Once Bitten Twice Shy, Old Rose Motel....good tunes....takes me back to my college days.