Slappy8800
05-11-2006, 05:48 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-1910322,00.html

They are 6ft wide and weigh 450lb (200kg), with countless poisonous tentacles,

Alex44
05-11-2006, 05:48 AM
woah :shock:

6ft wide? That looks WAY bigger than 6 feet more like 60

EDIT - its just the picture you posted is odd, the one in the article shows it right

Slappy8800
05-11-2006, 05:57 AM
well i see the diver was photoshopped in but still huge

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

cnc66
05-11-2006, 06:10 AM
I hear they live in the sewers of NY city too....be careful when you sit down....

inFINSible
05-11-2006, 06:28 AM
I wish more people were afraid of the ocean. :(

miamikid92
05-11-2006, 06:31 AM
ill look for them on my class trip today :wink:

Scrap
05-11-2006, 06:56 AM
I won't ever swim in a deep enough part of the ocean for that thing to be at.

Mindwarp
05-11-2006, 07:22 AM
can it play Oline?

Scrap
05-11-2006, 07:48 AM
can it play Oline?I'd have love to see it play qb a few years ago.

TJamesW_phinfan
05-11-2006, 08:14 AM
Finally a use for those giant tubs of peanutbutter they sell ar Costco!

ganooch
05-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Finally a use for those giant tubs of peanutbutter they sell ar Costco!
good one.

that is one big motherf'n jelly fish.
i could not imagine getting attacked by that thing

Agent51
05-11-2006, 08:56 AM
" for reasons that remain mysterious its numbers have surged in the past few months. "

OK, what I don't get is, why is it mysterious that their numbers "have surged" and NOT mysterious how a friggin JELLYFISH grew that big?

Lately here in Hawai'i we have had invasions of the Box jellyfish

"The most poisonous jellyfish is the Australian sea wasp, or box jellyfish, with enough venom to kill 60 people. Wearing tights is an effective defence "

Apparently this jellyfish can kill a full grown man in UNDER THREE MINUTES. They aren't around normally, but for some strange reasn the show up 4-6 days AFTER a full moon, and TONS of them show up. They have to close beaches, including the tourist hotspot Waikiki, and they have to close Hanauma Bay, which is a huge wildlife preserve where you can snorkel with all of the tropical fish and sea turtles and stuff, and they let you swim right up to them, which is awesome because in the open ocean they dart away and you barely cath a glimpse, but there they are so used to people snorkeling with them that you can pretty much touch them if you want (you're not supposed to though). Anyway, they have to close down everything for those few days that the Box Jellies invade. The thing that is really weird though is that they ONLY show up 4-6 days after a full moon, and in MASS numbers, but outside of that little timeframe they are nowhere to be seen, not a single one ANYWHERE :confused:

Rocky Raccoon
05-11-2006, 09:46 AM
I wish more people were afraid of the ocean. :(

I am, it scares me to death.

Samphin
05-11-2006, 10:17 AM
The reason they got so big is probably due to overfishing, like the article said. Jellyfish feed offf of plankton and such. So do fish. In a balanced ecosystem, there is enough for everyone. However, we (humans) have fished so much out of that area, that it has shifted the balance. Now, there is more plankton to be consumed by the jellyfish, since the fish aren't there. Thus, it grows to huge proportions.

Agent51
05-11-2006, 02:57 PM
The reason they got so big is probably due to overfishing, like the article said. Jellyfish feed offf of plankton and such. So do fish. In a balanced ecosystem, there is enough for everyone. However, we (humans) have fished so much out of that area, that it has shifted the balance. Now, there is more plankton to be consumed by the jellyfish, since the fish aren't there. Thus, it grows to huge proportions.

Awesome theory, very feasable explanation.

Agent51
05-11-2006, 03:03 PM

WOW, really? I guess growing up in and around the water and spending like 60% of my time in it and making part of my living off of it (surfing) I just can't even fathom being scared of it. I can't live without it. I can't even be away from it. Even when I go to Vegas for a week I start to go crazy and I get really ancy and everything, lol, I NEED to be near the ocean. Even back in Rhose Island I lived on an island (not like a TROPICAL island like Hawai'i, lol) and was 5 minutes from the beach.

What is it that scares you?

Gonzo
05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
WOW, really? I guess growing up in and around the water and spending like 60% of my time in it and making part of my living off of it (surfing) I just can't even fathom being scared of it. I can't live without it. I can't even be away from it. Even when I go to Vegas for a week I start to go crazy and I get really ancy and everything, lol, I NEED to be near the ocean. Even back in Rhose Island I lived on an island (not like a TROPICAL island like Hawai'i, lol) and was 5 minutes from the beach.

If he's anything like me, its the fear of not knowing whats beneath you or around you. I didn't grow up around it, so that may be part of it. Personally, I like being near the ocean, just not in it. I could definetly live near it. It doesn't get much more beautiful and beach communities are awesome.

Agent51
05-11-2006, 03:25 PM
If he's anything like me, its the fear of not knowing whats beneath you or around you. I didn't grow up around it, so that may be part of it. Personally, I like being near the ocean, just not in it. I could definetly live near it. It doesn't get much more beautiful and beach communities are awesome.

I hear ya there. It doesn't "scare" me persay, but in some places when I'm out surfing I'm definately a little on edge. Here, or other tropical places with clear water I'm fine, because at least I could SEE if something was coming (not that it would really help me, lol) but in places like Northern Califoria and such where I know there are sharks (actually, just great whites, other sharks don't scare me) and the water is all dark and stuff, I always have this little "on edge" feeling.

inFINSible
05-11-2006, 04:46 PM

Aren't there enough people in the water already?

Let the rest remain where they are.

;)

inFINSible
05-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Scares the **** out of my girlfriend too.

I can't take her out of sight of land, she'd choke me out long before we got that far away.

Agent51
05-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Aren't there enough people in the water already?

Let the rest remain where they are.

;)

In Hawai'i, and other great spots, yes, there are WAY too may people in the water, lol.

So you're girlfriend would never be able to come to Hawai'i then, because you have to fly 5hrs from Cali to here over nothing BUT water.

My mom is petrified of it too, not JUST the ocean, but pools too. She will go in to her ankles and that's it, but that fear stems from when she was pregnant with me. A few weeks before I was due she went out with my dad on theri friends boat, and the boat SANK way far out where no land was visible, and she didn't know how to swim. They got off a mayday call in time and the Coast Guard got there like 2 minutes TOPS after the boat fully sank under, but my mom has been scared to death of water ever since. Even things like flying over water, or going over bridges scares the crap out of her. She lands in Hawai'i when she comes to visit it looks like she just saw a ghost, lol. It's funny that she was pregnant with me when it happened and now she is paranoid of it and I can't get enough of it.

inFINSible
05-11-2006, 04:56 PM
In Hawai'i, and other great spots, yes, there are WAY too may people in the water, lol.

So you're girlfriend would never be able to come to Hawai'i then, because you have to fly 5hrs from Cali to here over nothing BUT water.

My mom is petrified of it too, not JUST the ocean, but pools too. She will go in to her ankles and that's it, but that fear stems from when she was pregnant with me. A few weeks before I was due she went out with my dad on theri friends boat, and the boat SANK way far out where no land was visible, and she didn't know how to swim. They got off a mayday call in time and the Coast Guard got there like 2 minutes TOPS after the boat fully sank under, but my mom has been scared to death of water ever since. Even things like flying over water, or going over bridges scares the crap out of her. She lands in Hawai'i when she comes to visit it looks like she just saw a ghost, lol. It's funny that she was pregnant with me when it happened and now she is paranoid of it and I can't get enough of it.

I don't think she'd have a problem flying over it, especially if I said something enticing like , " I got two tickets to Hawaii, wanna go? "

Agent51
05-11-2006, 05:00 PM
I don't think she'd have a problem flying over it, especially if I said something enticing like , " I got two tickets to Hawaii, wanna go? "

Yeah, thats true, lol. Does she like the beach though? I mean Hawai'i would still be fun regardless, but one of the best experiences is the beaches. It's kinda funny on my mom's part, because she's petrified of the ocean but yet she's obsessed with the beach, although she DOES stay as far away fromt he water as possible on the beach

Samphin
05-11-2006, 05:10 PM
I hear ya there. It doesn't "scare" me persay, but in some places when I'm out surfing I'm definately a little on edge. Here, or other tropical places with clear water I'm fine, because at least I could SEE if something was coming (not that it would really help me, lol) but in places like Northern Califoria and such where I know there are sharks (actually, just great whites, other sharks don't scare me) and the water is all dark and stuff, I always have this little "on edge" feeling.

There is no great white sharks in NorCal. At least no where I have surfed. :lol: Although,the water quality is horrible here...it is like that up and down the coast though. I surfed with some leopard sharks down in San Diego last year. I swear one of them knocked me off the dang board. :lol: Either that or it was the massive amounts of acohol and hot sun making me drunker than drunk and falling off all by myself.

Yeah, people are usually scared of things they no nothing about. Be it oceans, the dark, or whatever. Me? I am terrified of butterflies...yes, butterflies. Those things are vampires I swear to god.

Megatron
05-11-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm scared of rust.

inFINSible
05-11-2006, 05:19 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/Rust-1.jpg

Agent51
05-11-2006, 05:23 PM
There is no great white sharks in NorCal. At least no where I have surfed. :lol: Although,the water quality is horrible here...it is like that up and down the coast though. I surfed with some leopard sharks down in San Diego last year. I swear one of them knocked me off the dang board. :lol: Either that or it was the massive amounts of acohol and hot sun making me drunker than drunk and falling off all by myself.

Yeah, people are usually scared of things they no nothing about. Be it oceans, the dark, or whatever. Me? I am terrified of butterflies...yes, butterflies. Those things are vampires I swear to god.

There's definately Great Whites up there, in the SF area, there was a whole article about it on SurfLine a few months back

And yea, the water is pretty nasty, and dark, it just LOOKS scary, lol.

I'm scared of Spiders man. No lie, they freak me out. When chicks are around I can play it off, I'll even be the one to kill em, but when I'm all alone I'm the one getting up and moving to the otherside of the room, or if I'm laying there watching TV in the dark and I see one crawl across the wall or ceiling I will turn on ALL the lights in the room and not sit near any walls or anything, lol, and the lights will STAY on til I pass out. Oddly enough, I'm not as scared of the big spiders, like tarantulas, as I am of the little ones. I think it's because I can SEE when a big one is coming, or where it is, or I know that they can't hide in weird places. But man, the little ones, they can be ANYWHERE, and sopmetimes you can't see them ugh. I hate when you are laying there in the dark and one crawls right by your face on your blanket or something, or you see on dropping from the ceiling. Kinda sucks for me ot be afraid of spiders, since I go to a bunch of crazy spots around the world to surf and they ALL have some pretty inanse spiders. One time, in Fiji, I got bit by one, a HUGE one (not a tarantula, but the legs on this one were SO big) that was like the size of a spread hand, from thumb to pinkie. Anyway, it fell (I say it jumped and was trying to kill me, but to each his own, lol) from a tree, hit my shoulder and landed on the ground next to my foot (I was barefoot) then IMMEDIATELY climbed onto my foot. It was only THEN that I realized it was a spider (I just thought it was a leave or something when it fell) and, stupidly, I went to kick it off with my OTHER bare foot. Well, I got NAILED. Friggin hurt like a *******. Took me out for 3 days too. I got flu-like symptoms, my ears had the worst ear ache you can possibly imagine, and my braing felt like it was gonna burt out of my skull, like it was swelling, there was this intense pressure in my head. Needless to say, it didn't help to ease my fear of spiders.

Agent51
05-11-2006, 05:26 PM
I also have a friend who is afraid of broccoli. Like, she sees it and freaks out, hyperventilating, cold sweat, sometimes tears, it's crazy. I have no idea why, but it's the oddest fear I've ever seen. I've READ about some crazy ones, but as far as seeing them in person, that one is by FAR the wierdest.

Spray Mucus
05-11-2006, 05:26 PM
I'm scared of rust.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

me too!

Spray Mucus
05-11-2006, 05:27 PM
I also have a friend who is afraid of broccoli. Like, she sees it and freaks out, hyperventilating, cold sweat, sometimes tears, it's crazy. I have no idea why, but it's the oddest fear I've ever seen. I've READ about some crazy ones, but as far as seeing them in person, that one is by FAR the wierdest.

If your a Fan of CKY/Jacka$$/Viva La Bam... Rake (sp?) is deathly afraid of mustard.

Alex44
05-11-2006, 05:30 PM

OMG those things ****in freak me out

I love sharks...Id get in the ocean with one, but if a butterfly lands on me I will freak the F out

Agent51
05-11-2006, 05:37 PM
If your a Fan of CKY/Jacka$$/Viva La Bam... Rake (sp?) is deathly afraid of mustard.

Haha, I saw one, can't remember if it was in CKY/Jackass/Viva La Bam, but they threw mustard in his hair and he FREAKED. I think he started kicking in Bam's new BMW

Agent51
05-11-2006, 05:38 PM
OMG those things ****in freak me out

I love sharks...Id get in the ocean with one, but if a butterfly lands on me I will freak the F out

Swimming with, and feeding, sharks is great, I've done it numerous times. As long as they aren't great whites (and I am in clear water with good visibility) I'm cool.

Rocky Raccoon
05-11-2006, 05:58 PM

just everything that may be beneath you...that could be dangerous. Also just the waves and water itself. I just avoid the ocean as much as I can.

EDIT:

this is exactly how I feel...me and Gonzo are like 2 peas in a pod.

Megatron
05-11-2006, 06:08 PM
http://www.artshole.co.uk/arts/artists/Simeon%20Jones/Rust.jpgEEEEEEEEEEPS!!!!!!!:escape:

TJamesW_phinfan
05-11-2006, 10:04 PM
There's definately Great Whites up there, in the SF area, there was a whole article about it on SurfLine a few months back

And yea, the water is pretty nasty, and dark, it just LOOKS scary, lol.

I'm scared of Spiders man. No lie, they freak me out. When chicks are around I can play it off, I'll even be the one to kill em, but when I'm all alone I'm the one getting up and moving to the otherside of the room, or if I'm laying there watching TV in the dark and I see one crawl across the wall or ceiling I will turn on ALL the lights in the room and not sit near any walls or anything, lol, and the lights will STAY on til I pass out. Oddly enough, I'm not as scared of the big spiders, like tarantulas, as I am of the little ones. I think it's because I can SEE when a big one is coming, or where it is, or I know that they can't hide in weird places. But man, the little ones, they can be ANYWHERE, and sopmetimes you can't see them ugh. I hate when you are laying there in the dark and one crawls right by your face on your blanket or something, or you see on dropping from the ceiling. Kinda sucks for me ot be afraid of spiders, since I go to a bunch of crazy spots around the world to surf and they ALL have some pretty inanse spiders. One time, in Fiji, I got bit by one, a HUGE one (not a tarantula, but the legs on this one were SO big) that was like the size of a spread hand, from thumb to pinkie. Anyway, it fell (I say it jumped and was trying to kill me, but to each his own, lol) from a tree, hit my shoulder and landed on the ground next to my foot (I was barefoot) then IMMEDIATELY climbed onto my foot. It was only THEN that I realized it was a spider (I just thought it was a leave or something when it fell) and, stupidly, I went to kick it off with my OTHER bare foot. Well, I got NAILED. Friggin hurt like a *******. Took me out for 3 days too. I got flu-like symptoms, my ears had the worst ear ache you can possibly imagine, and my braing felt like it was gonna burt out of my skull, like it was swelling, there was this intense pressure in my head. Needless to say, it didn't help to ease my fear of spiders.

Spiders scare the living **** out of me. When I was kid I had the flu with real high fevers and was more or less hallucinating it was real quiet in the room and I heard this scritching noise below me. I looked over the edge of the bed and the was a huge brown spider coing right at me. I know now it was just crossing the floor and it never got near me but something between the fever and hearing it made me freak out. To this day except for the smallest ones if I see a spider in my house I don't go to bed until it is dead. I know it is irrational and that they are benificial creatures in pest control but I just hate them. I won't kill them outside but inside its war. Even more so after seeing pics of what happens to the area bitten by a brown recluse.

CharlestonPhan
05-11-2006, 10:13 PM
i got stung by a Portugese Man-O-War about 20 years ago... i seriously thought i had been bitten by a shark. went from wiping out on a long board to agonizing pain in an instant. the guys i was with said i was under water for about 15 seconds and they could hear me screaming. i was literally paralyzed with pain. i popped out of the water screaming and thrashing expecting a pool of blood. and the three guys i was with were all on shore looking out at me, because they thought it was a shark too.

i have never felt pain like that in my life, and ive had a ruptured disc in my lower back requiring surgery and one in my neck i refuse to get operated on, both of which paled in comparison but are none the less painful... best way i can describe it would be like thousand fire ants all biting you at once.

the tentacles wrapped around my leg and kind of candy striped it from mid thigh (thankfully not any higher) to the top of my foot, and within 20 minutes my whole leg had ballooned to about twice its normal size. it remained swollen for about 3 weeks. i had to use crutches.

idiot that i was, i just hung out at the beach house and was drinking beer for several hours with bags of ice covering my leg to keep the pain down. it hurt like fire for about 6 hours afterward.

then came, all along where the tentacle wrapped around my leg, a bunch of really nasty raised blood blisters. if i bumped into anything hobbling around it would just about bring me to tears. it was really fun when the blisters starting popping a week later.

jellyfish suck.

themole
05-11-2006, 10:14 PM
can it play Oline?

If it wants to!

Slappy8800
05-11-2006, 10:30 PM
well im glad im not alone!

themole
05-11-2006, 10:37 PM
i got stung by a Portugese Man-O-War about 20 years ago... i seriously thought i had been bitten by a shark. went from wiping out on a long board to agonizing pain in an instant. the guys i was with said i was under water for about 15 seconds and they could hear me screaming. i was literally paralyzed with pain. i popped out of the water screaming and thrashing expecting a pool of blood. and the three guys i was with were all on shore looking out at me, because they thought it was a shark too.

i have never felt pain like that in my life, and ive had a ruptured disc in my lower back requiring surgery and one in my neck i refuse to get operated on, both of which paled in comparison but are none the less painful... best way i can describe it would be like thousand fire ants all biting you at once.

the tentacles wrapped around my leg and kind of candy striped it from mid thigh (thankfully not any higher) to the top of my foot, and within 20 minutes my whole leg had ballooned to about twice its normal size. it remained swollen for about 3 weeks. i had to use crutches.

idiot that i was, i just hung out at the beach house and was drinking beer for several hours with bags of ice covering my leg to keep the pain down. it hurt like fire for about 6 hours afterward.

then came, all along where the tentacle wrapped around my leg, a bunch of really nasty raised blood blisters. if i bumped into anything hobbling around it would just about bring me to tears. it was really fun when the blisters starting popping a week later.

jellyfish suck.

I've been hit by those nasty baastuds. It feels like a white hot steel rod everywhere those purple tenicles have attached themselves. They will kill ya, ya know.

PHINATIC13
05-11-2006, 10:41 PM
I'm scared of rust.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gifhim too :wink:http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Agent51
05-11-2006, 11:07 PM

jellyfish suck.

Thankfully I've never had a run in with that particular jellyfish (even though it technically ISN'T a jellyfish). I've been stung by quite a few different species though, being a diehard surfer it's BOUND to happen sooner or later, lol.

When I got bit by that spider I described above, my leg also swelled up BAD. It was so GROSS, and it hurt because it was like my skin was gonna burst and it was all tight. I couldn't point my toes my leg was so swollen, the skin was just strecthed to tight that if I tried to point my foot (like a "standing on tippy-toes" motion) it just WOULDN'T go. Took a few days for that to go down.

Samphin
05-12-2006, 01:15 AM

jellyfish suck.

Not to nitpick, but technically, Man 'O wars are not Jellyfish. Howeve,r your premise is correct, jellyfish do suck.

I went on a booze cruise in Cabo San Lucas with my GF a few years ago. They told us the good spots for snorkeling and where to avoid the jellyfish. Well, we started to snorkel and grew completely oblivious to where we had floated off to. I bring my head up to see I am surrounding by the little *******s. However, I then notice that my girlfriend is swimming right into one. When she feels it on her head she looked up and literally had it on her face.

and since the first time since Jebus, a person walked, nay, ran on water. I have never seen anyone move that fast and then LEAP into a boat. She couldn't care less about my situation. She was on the boat with a margarita in her hand before I could say, "look out."

Luckily for me, I used my evasive maneuvers to circumnavigate the jiggly jellys and make my way back to the boat, where the bartender served me up plenty of stiff margaritas and shots for my troubles...

...everything after that is quite fuzzy.

TJamesW_phinfan
05-12-2006, 10:11 AM
She was on the boat with a margarita in her hand before I could say, "look out."

Luckily for me, I used my evasive maneuvers to circumnavigate the jiggly jellys and make my way back to the boat, where the bartender served me up plenty of stiff margaritas and shots for my troubles...

...everything after that is quite fuzzy.

:lol:

I have lived in FL all my life and used to spend a lot of time at the beach or snorkeling but thankfully never been stung by either jelly fish or man of war. In fact I rarely ever even saw jelly fish but did see a lot of man of wars. I never really was affraid to swim in the ocean even though Jaws and baracuda stories made me a little more aware of what was around me. :wink: However, in dark lakes where gators, snapping turtles, and or gar might be then I would always be a bit nervous.

As for these paticular jelly fish aren't those the waters that spawned Godzilla? :) Also when I first saw the pics of them I thought of the Simpsons and the three eyed fish and wonder if there is nuclear waste being dumped over there. But the plankton abundance mentioned sounds good or they just could be a large species by nature. An amazing thing to see whatever their origins.

Motion
05-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Wow, this should be renamed the fear thread. Jellyfish, Ocean, sharks, rust, butterflies......

:lol: The butterflies one made me laugh out loud, sorry.

Agent51
05-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Luckily for me, I used my evasive maneuvers to circumnavigate the jiggly jellys and make my way back to the boat, where the bartender served me up plenty of stiff margaritas and shots for my troubles....

LOL, that reminds me of Dane Cook:

"I am very good at eluding them, I have this hip move that the porpoises do...."

Agent51
05-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Wow, this should be renamed the fear thread. Jellyfish, Ocean, sharks, rust, butterflies......

:lol: The butterflies one made me laugh out loud, sorry.

Don't forget SPIDERS :eek:

dominizzo
05-12-2006, 01:44 PM
wooow sick stufff