PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Introduces First HD DVD Laptop

BAMAPHIN 22
05-11-2006, 10:47 AM
Toshiba has introduced the first laptop capable of playing next-generation, high-definition DVDs.

he Qosmio G35-AV650 supports the HD DVD format, which Toshiba helped develop, and also plays standard DVDs. Its dual drive can write data onto both standard DVDs and dual-layer discs, which can store twice as much information.

HD DVD is the first of two competing high-definition DVD formats to hit the market, with a standalone player and such movies as "Million Dollar Baby" and "Goodfellas" already out. Products in the rival Blu-ray format, backed by Sony Corp., are not expected until later this year.

The $3,000 Toshiba laptop sports 17-inch-wide screens that can display images in 1080p high-definition format. An HDMI port supports transfer via cable to high-definition TVs with 1080i resolution.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060511/ap_on_hi_te/toshiba_laptop;_ylt=AqTV1xOFw7.2Gg7.Zc6nRMes0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-

AquaInferno
05-11-2006, 12:04 PM
Look at the specs here: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.to?seg=HHO&coid=-30600

The computer isn't bad on the power aspect, but 3K for that power is too much for me, even with HD-DVD.

HysterikiLL
05-11-2006, 05:30 PM
For that price, I could just about buy a HD tv and a laptop.

mor911
05-11-2006, 05:33 PM
For that price, I could just about buy a HD tv and a laptop.The reason it's so expensive is because it has the first HD-DVD drive in it and displays at 1080p. Most HDTVs today (mine included) displays at 1080i max. A 1080p HDTV is going to cost more than $3000. :cooldude:

HysterikiLL
05-11-2006, 05:35 PM
The reason it's so expensive is because it has the first HD-DVD drive in it and displays at 1080p. Most HDTVs today (mine included) displays at 1080i max. A 1080p HDTV is going to cost more than $3000. :cooldude:

:eek: The mor is so smart. I have no idea what he just said.

So is the quality better on the laptop than on a TV?

mor911
05-11-2006, 05:38 PM
:eek: The mor is so smart. I have no idea what he just said.

So is the quality better on the laptop than on a TV? :sidelol: It just displays on a higher resolution than most HDTVs.

AquaInferno
05-11-2006, 05:39 PM
The reason it's so expensive is because it has the first HD-DVD drive in it and displays at 1080p. Most HDTVs today (mine included) displays at 1080i max. A 1080p HDTV is going to cost more than $3000. :cooldude:

I'd like a site with HDTV 101 if you got one..I am soooo behind in that deparment I know almost nothing about HDTVs. :spot: would love you if you hooked me up with a site.

HysterikiLL
05-11-2006, 05:42 PM
I'd like a site with HDTV 101 if you got one..I am soooo behind in that deparment I know almost nothing about HDTVs. :spot: would love you if you hooked me up with a site.

:yes: Me too. I've lost touch on technology and I'm only 18 years old. What is happening to me :boohoo:

mor911
05-11-2006, 05:50 PM
I actually learned all about HDTVs while shopping for mine. Crutchfield's HDTV area ha a boatload of info.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-twBWiJ1JtNd/reviews/hdtv/

Basically it works like this. Regular TVs use an interlaced image. This means that you're not seeing every line of an image, you're seeing every other line. This makes the transfer of the image easier. The resilution of a regular TV is 480i (Which 480 lines of an image interlaced -- Actually 240 lines) High Definition is an image that is NOT interlaced. The lowest HD image is 480p. This means you get a full actual 480 lines of an image.

After that it's pretty easy. 720p is the next higher quality. and then there's 1080i which is the max output of most HDTVs today.

Really awesome (plus expensive and new) TVs have 1080p support. This is ultra high godamn good lookin image R us. I've never actually seen a 1080p image in real life because DVDs don't have the capacity for a 1080p movie. Hence the reason a true HD format needs to be created.

The PS3 will be the first console to support 1080p. The 360 puts out at 1080i max, although there has to be a 1080p setup somehow for the HD-DVD drive to work. :D

AquaInferno
05-11-2006, 05:56 PM
I actually learned all about HDTVs while shopping for mine. Crutchfield's HDTV area ha a boatload of info.

Basically it works like this. Regular TVs use an interlaced image. This means that you're not seeing every line of an image, you're seeing every other line. This makes the transfer of the image easier. The resilution of a regular TV is 480i (Which 480 lines of an image interlaced -- Actually 240 lines) High Definition is an image that is NOT interlaced. The lowest HD image is 480p. This means you get a full actual 480 lines of an image.

After that it's pretty easy. 720p is the next higher quality. and then there's 1080i which is the max output of most HDTVs today.

Really awesome (plus expensive and new) TVs have 1080p support. This is ultra high godamn good lookin image R us. I've never actually seen a 1080p image in real life because DVDs don't have the capacity for a 1080p movie. Hence the reason a true HD format needs to be created.

The PS3 will be the first console to support 1080p. The 360 puts out at 1080i max, although there has to be a 1080p setup somehow for the HD-DVD drive to work. :D
Nice thanks for the link there Mor.. So one stupid question... Can I watch Blu-Ray and HD-DVD on a plain ol analog TV?

Edit: :spot: is happy... :spot: is VERY happy... I need to abuse the :spot: whenever I can after yesterday :lol:

mor911
05-11-2006, 05:59 PM
Nice thanks for the link there Mor.. So one stupid question... Can I watch Blu-Ray and HD-DVD on a plain ol analog TV?

Edit: :spot: is happy... :spot: is VERY happy... I need to abuse the :spot: whenever I can after yesterday :lol:
I'm pretty sure Sony will include some kind of down-scaling software to make it display on regular TVs... But by default, no. It's be stupid for them to exclude the 50 million non-HDTV owners from PS3 fun. But it would defeat the purpose of using blu-ray to.

Agent51
05-11-2006, 06:01 PM

I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming it would be like playing 360/PS3 on the normal, non-HDTV, where it would look better than current generation players but not as good as it is intended to be as they are made for HDTV. That's just an educated guess though, since that's the way it is with 360, and will be with PS3, tey look better than XBox and PS2 on normal TVs, but play it on a normal TV then a HDTV and its a WORLD of difference.

Agent51
05-11-2006, 06:04 PM

Crutchfield is an AWESOME site. They've got pretty good prices, a good mail-order catalogue, and they are PACKED with info. I like how when you are shopping for car audio stuff you put in the year/make/model of your car and they display all the stuff that will fit your car, very useful.

AquaInferno
05-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Listen my roommate has a nice 57" HDTV I don't even know if my PS2 games work like that, I mean I'm using the A/V jacks on the front of the TV... Am I HDTVin it or what? Madden looks nicer on the 57" compared to my 26" normal TV, but everything does cause it's so much bigger... Yeah I am clueless to HD because HD anything is so much $$$ I can't get one of those TVs till the prices drop some.

Agent51
05-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Listen my roommate has a nice 57" HDTV I don't even know if my PS2 games work like that, I mean I'm using the A/V jacks on the front of the TV... Am I HDTVin it or what? Madden looks nicer on the 57" compared to my 26" normal TV, but everything does cause it's so much bigger... Yeah I am clueless to HD because HD anything is so much $$$ I can't get one of those TVs till the prices drop some.

Well first you're not technically in HDTV because te PS2 isn't HD, nor are it's games. Second, there are a BUNCH of ways to connect to the TV, all effect the picture quality. These ways include A/V, S-Video, Composite, HDMI, etc. HDMI is considered "true" HD, but to explain all of these connections would take a lot of writing, lol. I know I'm known for long posts, but it would honestly be much easier for you to go to a site, like crutchfield, and read about it, that way if you have a question you can search it right there and have instant answers instead of waiting to post here and then wait for replies and the replies may not fully answer you etc. If you still have questions though, I'd be glad to try and help, as I'm sure Mor would too.

mor911
05-11-2006, 09:09 PM
If you are connecting to your roomies TV with standard AV jacks (red, white, yellow) you aren't using HD capabilities (neither is s-video). to make your PS2 display in HD, you'll need to get PS2 Component cables (red-S, white-S, red-V, green-V, blue-V) or HDMI. For a PS2, it probly isn't worth it to spend $60 for HDMI cables, but component cables go for about $10-$15 (mine cost me $12 at EB). The PS2 does support HD resolutions from 480p - 720p - 1080i plus widescreen.

Gran Turismo 4 supports 1080i widescreen and it looks phenomenal. Give it a try bro, you'll definitely see the difference.

WARNING - Once you play in HD, you may never want to play on a standard TV again.