PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Pacino Movie

CChambers7284
05-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Whats your faborite al pacino movie

d-day
05-11-2006, 06:39 PM
got to go back a few years for me when it comes to pacino - the guy like nicholson, deniro has become somewhat of a caricature of himself as of late when it comes to actual acting - for my money, movies like serpico and the very underrated dog day afternoon, was al pacino at his best

Agent51
05-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Heat, by far.

IMO, the Godfather movies are highly overrated. Same with Scarface, it's a good movie, but it's not the greatest thing on Earth.

Any Given Sunday was a great movie, but not Pacino's best. Same thing with Devil's Advocate.

wpgfishfan
05-11-2006, 06:48 PM
My favorite movies on that list are

Donnie Brasco
GF 1
GF 2

I voted for Serpico because Pacino was awesome in that role

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-11-2006, 07:11 PM
well, if the question is what's the best movie here that pacino was in, i'd go with godfather. but his best acting was in "the insider"....very hefty and script-driven role, it's not easy to do, but he was great.

FinFan72
05-11-2006, 07:14 PM
I Think the Devils Advocate was his best work

Noodle Arm
05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
got to go back a few years for me when it comes to pacino - the guy like nicholson, deniro has become somewhat of a caricature of himself as of late when it comes to actual acting - for my money, movies like serpico and the very underrated dog day afternoon, was al pacino at his best

Agreed. All Pacino does now is mainly buldge his eyes and yell. He's still good, but he's coasting. Nicholson is basically playing Nicholson in all his roles now...and when was the last time Deniro had a role that actually required acting?...I think it was Copland almost 10 years ago. (Very underrated move btw)

Oh and Scarface is an extremely overrated film.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Oh and Scarface is an extremely overrated film.
well said....pretty much just liked because it's cool to like it. it didn't do that great when it came out and didn't get popular at all until the late 90s, mostly from just rappers and that whole scene.

de niro was really really great in heat with pacino.

Agent51
05-11-2006, 07:44 PM
well said....pretty much just liked because it's cool to like it. it didn't do that great when it came out and didn't get popular at all until the late 90s, mostly from just rappers and that whole scene.

de niro was really really great in heat with pacino.

YES. Actually, yes to your whole post, because Scarface is super overrated, as I already said. But yea, De Niro was great, I think he was actually better than Pacino in that movie. That is SUCH a great movie all around, now this thread is gonna make me go watch it, lol.

In_Flames
05-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Devils Advocate was my favorite film from him...

CirclingWagons
05-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Panic In Needle Park (1971)..featuring a young Al Pacino and Raul Julia. If you look carefully you'll catch a cameo of Paul Sorvino as well

HysterikiLL
05-11-2006, 08:45 PM
It has to be The Godfather Pt. II for me in terms of individual performance. Pt. I was Brando's show, and while I felt De Niro out-acted Pacino in Pt. II, Pacino was excellent at playing a very central role without taking over the film. Another role I liked was '...and Justice for All'.

Dolfan984
05-11-2006, 08:48 PM
It has to be The Godfather Pt. II for me in terms of individual performance. Pt. I was Brando's show, and while I felt De Niro out-acted Pacino in Pt. II, Pacino was excellent at playing a very central role without taking over the film. Another role I liked was '...and Justice for All'.

hey you get on AIM :P

Metal Panda
05-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Godfather by a country mile.

Scarface is hideously overrated. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the movie and it's massively entertaining, but it's essentially a comic book gangster film with lots of one-liners. The story (adapted from the Muni classic which I still haven't seen) suffers in Pacino's--all of a sudden he goes from on top of the world to falling apart in the blink of an eye for no apparent reason other than to move the plot along to get to the big finale (which is admittedly entertaining).

I've always felt Carlito's Way is superior to Scarface. A more likeable and dynamic character, a more engaging story, a suspenseful ending, and a great atmosphere.

Metal Panda
05-11-2006, 10:23 PM
I Think the Devils Advocate was his best work

:eek: . His best work?

That phoned in performance, better than his Michael Corleone?

Dear God...that to me is like saying Anthrax peaked with Volume 8: The Threat is Real.

Boone
05-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Scarface

Tony Montana: I got ears, ya know. I hear things.
Frank Lopez: Yeah? What do you hear about Echevierra and the Diaz brothers? What about them? What about Caspar Gomez? What is he gonna do when you start moving 2000 keys?
Tony Montana: **** Caspar Gomez! And **** the ****in' Diaz brothers! **** 'em all! I bury those cockroaches!

Tony Montana: What you lookin' at? You all a bunch of ****in' *******s. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be? You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your ****in' fingers and say, "That's the bad guy." So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie. Me, I don't have that problem. Me, I always tell the truth. Even when I lie. So say good night to the bad guy! Come on. The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again, let me tell you. Come on. Make way for the bad guy. There's a bad guy comin' through! Better get outta his way!

Tony Montana: You wanna **** with me? Okay. You wanna play rough? Okay. Say hello to my little friend!

Roman529
05-11-2006, 11:50 PM
I think Serpico was probably his best performance, but I really like the movie Insomnia with Hillary Swank and Robin Williams set in Alaska. It wasn't his best performance but I liked this movie.

Maynard the Hammer
05-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Godfather by a country mile.

Scarface is hideously overrated. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the movie and it's massively entertaining, but it's essentially a comic book gangster film with lots of one-liners. The story (adapted from the Muni classic which I still haven't seen) suffers in Pacino's--all of a sudden he goes from on top of the world to falling apart in the blink of an eye for no apparent reason other than to move the plot along to get to the big finale (which is admittedly entertaining).

I've always felt Carlito's Way is superior to Scarface. A more likeable and dynamic character, a more engaging story, a suspenseful ending, and a great atmosphere.i agree. the godfather is simply the best movie ever made

im not a fan of scarface or carlitos way

honorable mention to donnie brasco

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-14-2006, 04:23 PM
let's not forget glengarry glen ross, either.

NaboCane
05-14-2006, 04:52 PM
:( Just one???

No way. Top 5:
Serpico
G-II
G-I
Heat
G-III
Scent of a Woman
Carlito's Way.And there it is. What? What was that? Seven...? OK, so it's seven...what are you, some math genius or something? Ju wanna **** with me? Okey. Ju wanna play rough? Okey. Say hello to my leettle friend!

ih8brady
05-14-2006, 06:21 PM
I don't think much of Al Pacino. A good actor with some really good performances, som in great movies too, but in the end a poor man's Cagney. The Godfather I and II, Dog Day Afternoon, Heat and And Justice for All stand out asthe best films he's been in with, IMO, Dog Day Afternoon as the best performance. I really hate the fact that he's trying to remake Rififi one of the greatest films ever and the best heist film. Leave the classics alone, Al. Oh, and Scarface wasn't even good, let alone great IMO. About as convincing as a Cuban as Al Jolson was a black man.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-15-2006, 12:14 AM
if pacino did a coen brothers movie i'd die. perfection.