PDA

View Full Version : Divers: Galapagos Islands, anyone ever gone there?

Coral Reefer
05-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Planning a dive trip to the Galapagos Islands.
Been wanting to do the Whale Shark dives for quite a while now.

Anytime you go to a new place you run the risk of hitching up with a bad or less than satisfactory guide, hotels, etc.

Interested if any of you who are divers have been there and can recommend any hotels, dive operations, etc.

Roman529
05-12-2006, 03:17 PM
I definitely want to go there....also Easter Island, Machu Pichu, Truk, and the Great Barrier Reef.

Agent51
05-12-2006, 03:56 PM
I definitely want to go there....also Easter Island, Machu Pichu, Truk, and the Great Barrier Reef.

I've always wanted to dive the Galapagos islands, you definately gotta post us some pics when you get back.

I've been to the Great Barrier Reef and also to the Bikini Islands, those are my two "claim-to-fame" dive sites, lol. Other than those, I've pretty much just stuck to the Islands here as far as SCUBA

Den54
05-12-2006, 04:02 PM

Is Machu Pichu where the SunFish hangs out? It looks like a giant fish head with fins.

Edit: Never mind.
http://www.earthwindow.com/mola.html

Coral Reefer
05-12-2006, 10:49 PM
I guess that's a no on anyone having been there.
I never like to pick dive operations blindly in a new area.

First Finheavener to the Galapagos...... I'll have to bring along a Finheaven flag and claim an Island for AJ.

Coral Reefer
05-12-2006, 10:51 PM
I've always wanted to dive the Galapagos islands, you definately gotta post us some pics when you get back.

I've been to the Great Barrier Reef and also to the Bikini Islands, those are my two "claim-to-fame" dive sites, lol. Other than those, I've pretty much just stuck to the Islands here as far as SCUBA

Will do on the pics.
Supposed to be one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet.

I envy you on the Great Barrier Reef.
That's next on the list.

How was the Great Barrier Reef?

Amars
05-13-2006, 03:31 AM
definately a cool trip

Agent51
05-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Will do on the pics.
Supposed to be one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet.

I envy you on the Great Barrier Reef.
That's next on the list.

How was the Great Barrier Reef?

It was amazing. That's pretty much the only way to describe it, lol. BY FAR the best dives I have ever done (I went down three times in different spots). I was headed to AUS on a surf trip and I set in my mind that I wasn't leaving there without dving the GBR. They did have a problem with "Sea Stars" though, they were a type of star fish that was basically eating everything on the reef, all the coral and stuff, which was killing it. My guide showed me some of the spots they had destroyed and it was like a barren wasteland, hardly any fish, the coral was all grey and off-white, no plants. He actually tricked me and didn't tell me thats what he was showing me, and it was the first dive, so I'm all super excited, I jump in and I'm like "WTF? this sucks, where's all the cool stuff?" He started swimming around and I was just following him, the whole time thinking "you have got to be kidding me, this is LAME" but then we surfaced and went onto the boat for lunch and he explained to me, lol. I guys they send divers down everyday (the park service does) and they have these gun looking things that they stab into the sea stars and inject them with poison, which kills them. They do this to HUNDREDS of them a day, but they are multiplying so fast that they can't keep up.

I envy YOU on the Galapagos man that's been at the top of my list for a LONG time, I just never have vacation time, lol. Any time I DO get off I end up having to go on a surf trip for my sponsors, which isn't a bad deal at all, lol, but still, I wanna dive there SO bad.