PDA

View Full Version : American Idol....what's your opinion?

JPhinfan86
05-13-2006, 05:26 AM
American Idol is currently in it's fifth season correct? Out of those five seasons, only one of the 'winners' has had what you could loosely call a successful career. That individual being Kelly Clarkson, a person who has won awards for singing songs she didn't write. She'd better write a thank-you letter to every 12 year old girl (and Primetime :lol:) in the nation.

Now, for what it's worth, the Grammy's have been slowly losing my respect. Part of that slide includes the nomination of a song that spells b-a-n-a-n-a BANANAS! ('Holla Back Girl) and this only adds to it. It's bad enough they gave her the award, but Kelly in-turn managed to knock on the show that got her there....whatever. American Idol has been suspected many many times of not even counting a large number of the votes that are cast and it was later proven to be true. NOW THAT'S HOW AMERICA DECIDES THE OUTCOME....crazy.

One of my favorite bands wrote a song about the FOX hit summarizing everything I see this contest as being. See the lyrics to Chevelle's "Get Some" (When I bought the album I thought the song was about gettin' some tail....however it makes more sense in that context :chuckle: ). http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/chevelle/getsome.html

With the poll I've included, drop a line after you vote explaining what you think if ya don't mind.

bullseyeguy
05-13-2006, 05:36 AM
Why do the choices have to be so far apart? My opinion doesnt fit any of those categories...
I satrted watching because it was fun to laugh at the horrible people, then I kept watching cause there were a few who I liked..I think its a TV show aimed at entertaining people, and it does a good job doing that....

JPhinfan86
05-13-2006, 06:37 AM
Why do the choices have to be so far apart?

Well, it just seems to me that on the whole people either see the show through to the end or they can't stand it. Obviously, if you haven't heard of it, then you just haven't. I just posted options based on that.

Also, I can say that the first year I did find some degree of humor in the horrible auditions. However, I may be a skeptic but it seems that in the fifth season people are going to these auditions with no intent of actually trying to advance. They go on simply to get a laugh. Fox makes the claim that there are preliminary auditions held before contestants even reach the floor in front of Randy, Simon and Paula. They allow them through so they have those bad auditions....before they realized they had something it was cool. Now people are looking to be the next "William Hung" who made a pretty penny off of his album even though he was a horrible vocalist. :dunno:

Metal Panda
05-13-2006, 09:53 AM
It's junk. they're always looking for one mode of singer--the type that excessively uses melisma (those WHOA OH OOOO OH runs), and goes extremely over the top with their performance.

I've heard in the audition process many wonderful vocalists get rejected and told they're "too Broadway".

The selection process is a joke as well.

and the popularity of Idol winners is bound to wane because people move onto the next winner. Yea, Kelly Clarkson's still popular, but Ruben and Fantasia will be forgotten within a few years.

Noodle Arm
05-13-2006, 10:17 AM
but Ruben and Fantasia will be forgotten within a few years.

Who? :dunno: :tongue:

Fantasia supposedly sold "millions" of copies of her album...but do you know anybody who owns it? Can you name one of her songs? I sure can't.

Carrie Underwood has actually done very well for herself, but it's only been limited to the country music scene.

Ruben is too busy eating the sandwich he's named after.

Clay Aiken actually did well too, but his time may have passed. He'll probably end up on Broadway.

What really pissed me off is what they did to Bo. It was pretty damn obvious the guy was meant to release a southern rock album...but what to the producers do instead?...they make him record an album of "lite rock" and ballads so sappy, it'll give you diabetes just listening to it.

JPhinfan86
05-14-2006, 02:51 AM
One of the biggest things going on right now related to the contestants has nothing to do with an actual winner. After Chris Daughtry was apparently 'shockingly' eliminated recently he's come in the running for a pretty big job. Little did I know that the band Fuel (songs like Hemmorage, Bad Day and Last Time) is in need of a new lead singer. I don't know how this came to be but I plan on looking into it. It's been said that Daughtry is the person the band has immediately contacted. I've heard it 3 times (twice on rock radio) today so there could be something to it.

JPhinfan86
05-14-2006, 03:05 AM
http://www.fuelweb.com/
Well, it took me exactly 30 seconds of searching. :lol: Here you go, from a blog on the official site:

All right. Check it out. Here's the deal.

Normally, obviously, we would never even think about anyone from Am Idol as a singer for Fuel. However, ever since Chris sang Hemorrhage on the show, we began paying attention. Sorry, the show's not my thing, but at least most of the finalist can sing and aren't Britney Spearing it up there. However, Chris in my opinion has carried himself well on the show and has stayed true to his rock side, which is a serious credit to him considering the format. We have found some great guys through the audition process and in fact, were already headed in other directions when Chris unexpectedly got voted off the show. The phones started ringing. So now what? I think anyone would say that we would at least have to entertain the idea of Chris and Fuel. The websites have been flooded with support for the idea ever since he sang Hemorrhage from most of you. So that is what we are doing. We are entertaining the idea and the offer to Chris was that we would be willing to entertain him as an option. However, there is a lot to discuss and be decided. Is it right for us? Would it be the right thing for Chris? Would he even be able to get out of the contractual obligations to Am Idol? Would we be able to get things squared with Sony? So nothing is cut and dry, even if both camps thought it was right thing to do, it still might be impossible to work out all the details. Chris and I have discussed the possibility before and we are still entertaining the idea. Either way, never fear, we are coming with a great lead singer very soon who we are very excited about and rolling out a record this year.

Rocky Raccoon
05-14-2006, 03:08 AM
http://www.fuelweb.com/
Well, it took me exactly 30 seconds of searching. :lol: Here you go.

what happened to their original singer?

JPhinfan86
05-14-2006, 03:13 AM
I haven't a clue what happened to the original....this is all new to me. I will find out though because I've liked these guys for a while now (I own 3 of their albums, Sunburn, Something Like Human and Natural Selection).

Gonzo
05-14-2006, 03:19 AM
Option 4, I love it because it keeps people occupied while I take over the world...one thread at a time.

NMNB
05-14-2006, 03:27 AM
none of the above. How about "It's a stupid show that I don't care about and would never watch"?

JPhinfan86
05-14-2006, 03:43 AM
what happened to their original singer?
Well here's a piece of it from the same site, the bands official site:

Fuel officially announces the departure of Brett Scallions as lead vocalist

Brett Scallions joined Fuel in 1994 and after signing a recording contract with Epic Records, the group released their debut record "Sunburn" in 1999 and achieved instant platinum success following the hit singles "Shimmer" and "Bittersweet." Since then the group have released 2 more records; "Something Like Human" which reached double platinum status on the heels of the hit single "Hemorrhage" & the Grammy nominated "Natural Selection" on which they enjoyed their highest ranking top 40 song ever with "Falls On Me" in 2004. Fuel has enjoyed total worldwide album sales of 4 million copies to date.

"Brett's a great guy, a long time friend, and we wish him well" says guitar player Carl Bell, who remains as Fuel's songwriter and lyricist. "It was a very amicable split, we've had some great times and we will miss him."

So far everything I've seen indicates that Brett was the one that left but it sounds like they were on good terms.

Rocky Raccoon
05-14-2006, 03:47 AM
Well here's a piece of it from the same site, the bands official site:

thanks man :D

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-14-2006, 04:21 PM
none of the above. How about "It's a stupid show that I don't care about and would never watch"?
:yes:

i've still yet to watch this show for more than 2 seconds. no talent at all.

Scrap
05-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Many people audition, and voters decide the winner. The only way the winner CAN be bad, is if the majority of voters are idiots. The type of person who wins is the type of person the voters are apparently looking for.

Scrap
05-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Carrie Underwood has actually done very well for herself, but it's only been limited to the country music scene.

:lol: That's her genre. I understand the confusion as to why she hasn't made a rap album yet though.

Metal Panda
05-14-2006, 05:36 PM
and half the time the voters are looking for things that have little to do with talent.

some of the people on that show have technical flaws that are heavily apparent. it's about marketing and image more than talent.

not that they're not "talented", because they are, but during the audition process I hear some people with phenomenal talent get cut...some of them more talented than the people who make the final cut.

NaboCane
05-14-2006, 06:07 PM
American Idol is just another piece-of-crap exercise in meanness intended to feed and satisfy the new "Culture of Mean" that we've generated in this society.

It's an offshoot of the more blatantly mean originals like "Weakest Link," and "Survivor," and "The Apprentice;" pseudo-competitions whose true purpose is to broadcast and glorify the humiliation and degradation of regular, everyday people.

Why? For the perversely cathartic enjoyment of an audience comprised of people frustrated by the iniquities of their own daily existence, combined with their own inability - or lack of willingness and courage - to affect positive, substantive change in their circumstances.

It's another way - along with video games with murderous and often villainous content - to create an outlet for people's urges to be mean, without actually having to have the guts to confront the real problems in their lives, and the real people that they see as their tormentors.

We're becoming a nation of passive-aggressive *******s who delight in the misery of others instead of trying to rise above our circumstances to celebrate the richly-abundant good that surrounds us.

Scrap
05-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Marketing, and image do mean a lot. It's American Idol. They aren't going to turn away extremely talented people unless they don't fit certain criteria. That's part of keeping it a good show. Sometimes I don't understand why certain ones don't make it to Hollywood, but that's just the way it goes. Maybe they rubbed Simon, Paula, and Randy the wrong way.

Noodle Arm
05-14-2006, 06:24 PM
:lol: That's her genre. I understand the confusion as to why she hasn't made a rap album yet though.

Yeah but do you really think the producers were looking for a country star? I seriously doubt it...besides that what that Nashville Star show is all about. More likely than not they saw Carrie as a clean slate that they could mold into a pop/country lite type of singer who could appeal to fans of those generes (mainly teens/young adults with a mix of the older crowd), but it seems she'll be a country singer and nothing more. She'll sell records...but not as many as she would've (and the producers would've wanted) if she went into a more pop/Kelly Clarkson-clone type of route

d-day
05-14-2006, 08:39 PM
American Idol is just another piece-of-crap exercise in meanness intended to feed and satisfy the new "Culture of Mean" that we've generated in this society.

It's an offshoot of the more blatantly mean originals like "Weakest Link," and "Survivor," and "The Apprentice;" pseudo-competitions whose true purpose is to broadcast and glorify the humiliation and degradation of regular, everyday people.

Why? For the perversely cathartic enjoyment of an audience comprised of people frustrated by the iniquities of their own daily existence, combined with their own inability - or lack of willingness and courage - to affect positive, substantive change in their circumstances.

It's another way - along with video games with murderous and often villainous content - to create an outlet for people's urges to be mean, without actually having to have the guts to confront the real problems in their lives, and the real people that they see as their tormentors.

We're becoming a nation of passive-aggressive *******s who delight in the misery of others instead of trying to rise above our circumstances to celebrate the richly-abundant good that surrounds us.

lot of good comes from the show too...

Nappy Roots
05-14-2006, 09:09 PM
i hate this show personally. dont watch it, but eh, to each its own i guess.

Scrap
05-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Yeah but do you really think the producers were looking for a country star? I seriously doubt it...besides that what that Nashville Star show is all about. More likely than not they saw Carrie as a clean slate that they could mold into a pop/country lite type of singer who could appeal to fans of those generes (mainly teens/young adults with a mix of the older crowd), but it seems she'll be a country singer and nothing more. She'll sell records...but not as many as she would've (and the producers would've wanted) if she went into a more pop/Kelly Clarkson-clone type of route
I don't think they are looking for country singers, but that's what they got. (and a good one at that)

As for how many records she'll sell, I'd say she'll do best in the genre she enjoys. Country just happens to be that genre. I'm not a big country fan, but that's just her thing.

Scrap
05-14-2006, 09:11 PM

We're becoming a nation of passive-aggressive *******s who delight in the misery of others instead of trying to rise above our circumstances to celebrate the richly-abundant good that surrounds us.Do you really believe that ?

Rocky Raccoon
05-14-2006, 09:41 PM

wow nice post

Metal Panda
05-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Do you really believe that ?

Nah, I'm sure he typed all of that because it was an exercise on "Mavis Beacon"....

Pennington's Rocket Arm
05-15-2006, 12:25 AM
yeah i do remember seeing that as an example in the mavis beacon notebook thing. strange how fitting it is to this thread...

Nappy Roots
05-15-2006, 12:27 AM
yeah i do remember seeing that as an example in the mavis beacon notebook thing. strange how fitting it is to this thread...

nice new sig! :clap:

glad you took that UF crap down

:barf:

JPhinfan86
05-15-2006, 03:32 AM

So......I guess it's safe to say we can chalk you up for option #2 eh? :foundout: :lol:

JPhinfan86
05-15-2006, 03:38 AM
With the whole "Chris possibly joining Fuel" thing...it's a possibility that Idol will screw Chris over with the consuming contract each contestant signs (winners and runners up alike). They may tell him that the band would have to re-name itself to break it's contract with Epic then sign with them so they benefit from the whole thing. I don't know if that's a plausable loophole or a route "Fuel" would even take but I just don't see Idol as doing the honorable thing by allowing him to do as he wishes in his own self interest. Because where there's a dollar to be made..............

NaboCane
05-15-2006, 01:43 PM
So......I guess it's safe to say we can chalk you up for option #2 eh? :foundout: :lol:

:lol: