PDA

View Full Version : I'm Looking For A New Computer

Rocky Raccoon
05-13-2006, 02:48 PM
what kind of computers do you guys have? What brand should I be looking in to? I just need something basic for home.

discuss

EDIT: and money is tight these days...so something fairly cheap but still solid :wink:

FinHeavenAJ
05-13-2006, 04:08 PM
Don't... I repeat... DONT... get an emachines.

Look into Dell's basic entry level machines. Only thing I would say is keep the RAM above 512.

For $479 you get 512 MB and a 15" flat panel. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DB110C&s=dhs

Miamian
05-13-2006, 04:56 PM
A friend persuaded me to buy an AMD. I've been happy with it.

MNFINFAN
05-13-2006, 05:55 PM

Look into Dell's basic entry level machines. Only thing I would say is keep the RAM above 512.

For $479 you get 512 MB and a 15" flat panel. http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DB110C&s=dhs
This is my business, though I sell B2B, don't get a Celeron processor. Must be a Pentium 4 or an AMD. Me personally like the AMD processors. As AJ says 512MB RAM is bare minimum, I would get a Gig if possible. Decent video card and you are set.

Rocky Raccoon
05-13-2006, 07:59 PM

that is the exact one I was looking at before and really liked it. Right now I'm leaning towards getting that one. All though I would like something a little cheaper.

Roman529
05-13-2006, 09:29 PM
You can't go wrong with Dell. I just bought my first Dell laptop about a year ago (a Dell Ispiron 1000)....I think I ended up paying around $500 for it....it has a nice 15.4" screen, 40GB, it weighs alot (around 6 pounds) but I have never had a problem with it (the only knock I might have with Dell's laptops are the batteries won't get you more than maybe two hours on a charge, but I always have mine plugged into an outlet). I love laptops as I can kick back on my couch and watch my shows and sports.

unifiedtheory
05-13-2006, 09:35 PM
If you want cheap...build your own.

I'll never buy an "off the shelf" computer again.

That being said, it is quite stunning what you can get now a days for around $500.00.

ponchovilla
05-13-2006, 10:48 PM
I agree that Dell is the best way to go. I have a Dell Xps. Dual Processor, 3.0 Ghz. 1 gig ram, Win Xp, 19 inch flat panel monitor. Was a great deal. Paid around 1400 for it. But have a Dell Credit card. No interest for 18 months. They said i would get it in 2 weeks, 4 days later it arrived at the house. Great site to customize what you want. My in laws have bought a few comps in the 600 to 750 range and have had nothing but great reviews about them. Just saying Dell is reliable.

bullseyeguy
05-13-2006, 11:26 PM
Dell, Dell, Dell, I have 2 of them....

bullseyeguy
05-13-2006, 11:28 PM
If you want cheap...build your own.

I'll never buy an "off the shelf" computer again.

That being said, it is quite stunning what you can get now a days for around $500.00.Yeah building your own is the best way to go, and pretty easy too...Some people are too scared to try though, and I can understand why...

ponchovilla
05-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I let someone build my first comp. During set up(did not know at the time), he cracked my motherboard, took my jumper tabs(i could not set cd and cdr to master slave) and then when I bought the the keyboad, mouse and monitor, it cost me more than i could have spent at Gateway at the time.

HysterikiLL
05-14-2006, 01:11 AM
I let someone build my first comp. During set up(did not know at the time), he cracked my motherboard, took my jumper tabs(i could not set cd and cdr to master slave) and then when I bought the the keyboad, mouse and monitor, it cost me more than i could have spent at Gateway at the time.

My mom had hers built by this guy who looked like a pirate. He was bald with gold teeth and dirty. He had all this software that hacked into her system and got all her records when she forgot her password...he was really dodgy.

I have a Dell Inspirion 5150. It's solid, had it about two years almost and only had a few problems -- screen crapped out once but they fixed it within a week for free.

Quelonio
05-14-2006, 01:22 AM
I have a Power Mac G5 with a Double processor that runs at 2.7 GHZ... but they are really expensive, as a matter of fact almost all macs are sort of expensive (unless you go mini) but they are so damn good, I mean once you go mac, you never go back....

Miamian
05-14-2006, 02:22 AM
I probably should point out that I won't buy Gateway ever again. I had one that kept getting fatal OD and OE errors and found out that they're a common problem. Their customer support recommended patches that never worked.

Gonzo
05-14-2006, 02:34 AM
As for building another computer, that is what I am going to do right after buying a laptop (still researching, because I have time too). Just a warning about the no interest for (enter certain amount of time here), usually, if you don't pay it off before that time, you get hit will all the interest that accrued over that time. If it's a year, thats a lot of money.

For those next to a university and interested in building your own, check to see if your university has a surplus store. You can get all of your basics there (though I probably wouldn't get a HD there) for extremely cheap. My original monitor just went out, so I went there and got a 17" monitor for $25. It's works great.

Den54
05-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Any imput on Campaq computers?

NorFlaFin
05-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Can you buy a PC thru your employer?

I price the components on my Dell Optilix(sp)minchassis at Tigerdirect.com. Realisticly not any cheaper Heck, for $100-$200 ($100-$@200) somebody else screws it together. Not to mention zero hassle of waiting on rebates.

Dubfire
05-14-2006, 10:26 AM
I have a Power Mac G5 with a Double processor that runs at 2.7 GHZ... but they are really expensive, as a matter of fact almost all macs are sort of expensive (unless you go mini) but they are so damn good, I mean once you go mac, you never go back....

:yes:

I have a Power Mac Dual 1.25ghz and love it!!

OSX is pure bliss. Yeah they are expensive but you get what you pay for.

Timmy54
05-14-2006, 10:34 AM
dell has a 1/3 off deal going on online. check it out!!!