PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Cobain Voted Greatest Hero In Rock 'N Roll

Rocky Raccoon
05-13-2006, 03:00 PM
:shakeno: quite possibly the worst top 10 list I've ever seen.

http://q1043.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=104649&article=481349

like2god
05-13-2006, 03:07 PM
That was a bad list

In_Flames
05-13-2006, 03:19 PM
:monkeyr:THAT LIST (http://q1043.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=104649&article=481349) :monkeyl:

Samphin
05-13-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't see how the Gallagher brothers make it ahead of the likes of Hendrix, Page, Plant, Morrison, McCartney, Lennon, Starr, Harrison, Richards, Tyler, Ozborne, Zombie, Reznor, etc. you get my point.

I think Cobain belongs in the top 10 of all time, but I don't know about number 1. Heck, Elvis should be on there too.

ganooch
05-13-2006, 03:27 PM
who the hell voted? that list is horrendous!!!!!!!!!!!

Buddwalk
05-13-2006, 03:28 PM
how is he a hero? The guy single handily killed what was left of rock, and let the door open for rap to take over. I dont agree with the list or that kurt cobain was the single greatest rocker ever...but thats just my opinion :wink: :wink: :wink:

ganooch
05-13-2006, 03:37 PM
how is he a hero? The guy single handily killed what was left of rock, and let the door open for rap to take over. I dont agree with the list or that kurt cobain was the single greatest rocker ever...but thats just my opinion :wink: :wink: :wink:
sweet hendrix sig!!!!!!!

Buddwalk
05-13-2006, 03:39 PM
sweet hendrix sig!!!!!!!

thx...What hendrix did for music was amazing not to mention that he played guitar as if it were one of his own limbs.

Shula Come Back!
05-13-2006, 03:41 PM
I agree!!!! That's a f*cking horrible list! I love Kurt but I'm so sick of hearing about Pete Doherty....They're just trying to make a new rocker turned junkie turned hero out of him....At least Kurt Cobain was a talented songwriter and fronted a great band!!! Pete Doherty sucks!!!!!!

Rocky Raccoon
05-13-2006, 03:47 PM
my top 10...in NO ORDER

John Lennon
Jimi Hendrix
Elvis
Bob Dylan
Jim Morrison
Paul McCartney
Jimmy Page
Mick Jagger
Roger Waters
Freddy Mercury

Rocky Raccoon
05-13-2006, 03:48 PM
I agree!!!! That's a f*cking horrible list! I love Kurt but I'm so sick of hearing about Pete Doherty....They're just trying to make a new rocker turned junkie turned hero out of him....At least Kurt Cobain was a talented songwriter and fronted a great band!!! Pete Doherty sucks!!!!!!

who is Pete Doherty anyway?

AirFishOne
05-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Nirvana is SO OVERATED it isnt funny!!!

im sick and tired of hearing that silly power cord over and over and over etc....

while I respect Cobain as a songwriter, one of the best, he is overgloried out the @$$

just wonderin since most u guys no more than me, would James Hetfeild be apart of that list?

Agent51
05-13-2006, 03:56 PM

I don't even think Cobain belongs anywhere NEAR that list, let alone first. His music (notice I said MUSIC, as in instruments, NOT lyrics) was very uninspired. People bash punk music for being "nothing more than 3-power-chords", well, what the hell makes nirvana so good, that's all they were too. Dave Grohl wasn't even a that good of a drummer in that band (save a few cool fills here and there), not "amazing" like everyone says. The whole band, ESPECIALLY Kurt, was overrated. Every single song was pretty much about the same thing too, just worded differently, so you can't even call his writing "genius". The only reason he even made the list is because he fit the stereotypical "depressed/demons inside suicidal rocker who's life ended in tragedy" cliche. :shakeno:

like2god
05-13-2006, 03:56 PM
would James Hetfeild be apart of that list?
No, Metallica is good but he hasn't really distinguished himself outside of Metallica, they are seen as a band.

What about David Lee Roth?

Van Halen sucks without him!

AirFishOne
05-13-2006, 03:58 PM
No

fair enough :D

AirFishOne
05-13-2006, 04:01 PM
No, Metallica is good but he hasn't really distinguished himself outside of Metallica, they are seen as a band.

What about David Lee Roth?

Van Halen sucks without him!

true bout Van Halen, and I agree about Metallica, they arnt the kind of band who would be on a list like that list was trying to do, they are very "closterphobic" as a band imo

Rocky Raccoon
05-13-2006, 04:02 PM
David Lee Roth would defiantely be top 25

Roman529
05-13-2006, 04:07 PM
What a crappy list. I guess you cannot expect much from British fans....I am surprised Elton John and the Spice Girls were not on it. Kurt Cobain should not be on the list. Here is mine:

1. Elvis Presley
2. Chuck Berry
3. Buddy Holly
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. John Lennon
6. Paul McCartney
7. Roger Daltrey
8. Bon Scott
9. Freddie Mercury
10. Jimmy Page

SkapePhin
05-13-2006, 04:54 PM
I think Cobain gets too much praise and too much vitriol. I think he was an important rock artist, and his blending of genres and infusion of melody into modern electric rock helped shape the landscape of the early 90s. I still listen to some Nirvana tunes, and Nirvana's acoustic renditions on Unplugged proved they did have artistry and talent. Kurt's emotional and stripped down vocal stylings were excellent imo.

Plus, he was a huge Beatles and Pixies fan. :D

SkapePhin
05-13-2006, 04:54 PM
What a crappy list. I guess you cannot expect much from British fans....I am surprised Elton John and the Spice Girls were not on it. Kurt Cobain should not be on the list. Here is mine:

1. Elvis Presley
2. Chuck Berry
3. Buddy Holly
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. John Lennon
6. Paul McCartney
7. Roger Daltrey
8. Bon Scott
9. Freddie Mercury
10. Jimmy Page

Elvis? All he did was rip off old R&B acts and shake his hips...

Buddwalk
05-13-2006, 05:05 PM

wow man take a day off whatever you do work/just stay on finheaven and listen to some old elvis tapes. Yes he didnt write all his music but to say he ripped of r&B acts is completely outrageous. shake his hips, dude is was the craze in the 50s that was the macarana before there even was a macarana. Also not to mention he had one of the greatest voices of all time, never cracked. He was also a 1 man show

Not a big elvis fan but you cant diss him

Dolphin1184
05-13-2006, 05:38 PM

:shakeno:

FinsNYanksFan13
05-13-2006, 05:59 PM
It's funny Cobain was mentioned on this website. I was just looking up old Nirvana stuff on the internet the other day and there was like 20 sites dedicated to the conspiracy that he was murdered and didn't kill himself. Very interesting stuff, I don't know if it's coicidence or truth but it was still very interesting!

d-day
05-13-2006, 06:44 PM
wow man take a day off whatever you do work/just stay on finheaven and listen to some old elvis tapes. Yes he didnt write all his music but to say he ripped of r&B acts is completely outrageous. shake his hips, dude is was the craze in the 50s that was the macarana before there even was a macarana. Also not to mention he had one of the greatest voices of all time, never cracked. He was also a 1 man show

like him or not, i think elvis had the best voice of all times - great tone, unbelievable control, uncanny phrasing, incredible vibrato, so much personality in his singing, especially when he first broke out

HysterikiLL
05-13-2006, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't call him a hero but Cobain was an inspiration to a lot of people. Way to spit on his grave everybody. :up:

SkapePhin
05-13-2006, 07:23 PM

I actually enjoy Elvis, but he certainly was no innovator..

HysterikiLL
05-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Pete Doherty number 2? Hell, he's banging Kate Moss, he should be number one based solely on that fact! :lol:

Buddwalk
05-13-2006, 07:39 PM
like him or not, i think elvis had the best voice of all times - great tone, unbelievable control, uncanny phrasing, incredible vibrato, so much personality in his singing, especially when he first broke out

:yes: I think the greatest voice was freddy mercury but elvis is definitely high on my list

HysterikiLL
05-13-2006, 07:50 PM
:yes: I think the greatest voice was freddy mercury but elvis is definitely high on my list

freddy mercury :yes:

Roman529
05-13-2006, 09:52 PM

I like Elvis's movies too....especially the ones with Ann-Margret...she was so hot back in the 60's.

CirclingWagons
05-14-2006, 03:39 AM
my top 10...in NO ORDER

John Lennon
Jimi Hendrix
Elvis
Bob Dylan
Jim Morrison
Paul McCartney
Jimmy Page
Mick Jagger
Roger Waters
Freddy Mercury
Good list, although i'd probably have Jerry Garcia in their...but I'm biased

FLOUNDER
05-14-2006, 03:34 PM
I dislike Nirvanna's music!

Hendrix is probply one of the greatest guitarist, what he did on some of his songs, i couldnt even comprehend it was so amaizing for example: all along the watch tower, purple haze

Buddwalk
05-14-2006, 04:32 PM

Hendrix is probply one of the greatest guitarist, what he did on some of his songs, i couldnt even comprehend it was so amaizing for example: all along the watch tower, purple haze

:yeahthat:

Celtkin
05-14-2006, 04:34 PM
It was a typo. The author thought Hero was the root word of Heroin

Gonzo
05-14-2006, 05:04 PM
What in the hell is NME? The music version of Highlights?

JPhinfan86
05-15-2006, 04:28 AM
Well guys, when viewing that list it is very important that you keep in mind the fact that only Brits voted for that list. The same people responsible for the atrosity that is Monty Python....that is not humor. :shakeno:

JPhinfan86
05-15-2006, 04:30 AM

Hendrix is so good he set a standard with Voodoo Chile that ONLY one man was able to ascend to: Stevie Ray Vaughan. Everyone else that tried to play Jimbo's masterpiece failed miserably. :rocker: SRV - Soul 2 Soul!!!

Buddwalk
05-15-2006, 04:36 AM
Hendrix is so good he set a standard with Voodoo Chile that ONLY one man was able to ascend to: Stevie Ray Vaughan. Everyone else that tried to play Jimbo's masterpiece failed miserably. :rocker: SRV - Soul 2 Soul!!!

I made an attempt at voodoo child :wink: :wink: :wink:

But agreed jimi was amazing....one of my favorites indeed :yes:

@@@
05-15-2006, 05:02 AM
NME is a music mag here in the uk (it flat out sucks by the way) which is prob why clowns like Pete Doherty get in. Great points on Nirvana Agent51

EDIT: i'm pretty sure this joke of a publication also had Never mind as the greatest album of all time :shakeno:

dol_fan_81
05-15-2006, 05:17 AM
4:Liam Gallagher
7: Noel Gallagher

ALRIGHT! i know the US isn't as keen on Oasis as we are. but i am a big fan of them and i'm glad to see them there. but i do understand some peoples fustration about the list and Cobain being No.1, what kind of hero kills himself? its the cowardly thing to do IMO

SkapePhin
05-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Well guys, when viewing that list it is very important that you keep in mind the fact that only Brits voted for that list. The same people responsible for the atrosity that is Monty Python....that is not humor. :shakeno:

You have blasphemed the great Monty Python!!!?!? :fire:

Rocky Raccoon
05-15-2006, 11:55 AM
ALRIGHT! i know the US isn't as keen on Oasis as we are. but i am a big fan of them and i'm glad to see them there. but i do understand some peoples fustration about the list and Cobain being No.1, what kind of hero kills himself? its the cowardly thing to do IMO
the fact that they are on the list...but their idols, John Lennon and Paul McCartney aren't, speaks volumes of the stench coming from the voting.

GRAPEAPE
05-15-2006, 12:21 PM
It was a typo. The author thought Hero was the root word of Heroin :sidelol:

Dolphin1184
05-15-2006, 12:39 PM

Yes it is. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a hilarious movie.

Gonzo
05-15-2006, 12:58 PM

That may be the first time I have ever seen that. I guess everyone has their opinions, but I am now curious as to what you call funny.

GRAPEAPE
05-15-2006, 01:01 PM
That may be the first time I have ever seen that. I guess everyone has their opinions, but I am now curious as to what you call funny.Friends:D

Gonzo
05-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Friends:D
:lol: I usually start walking away from a conversation when someone mentions something like, "Do you remember the time when Monica..."

I'd rather be doin' the mattie. :hi5:

GRAPEAPE
05-15-2006, 01:10 PM
:lol: I usually start walking away from a conversation when someone mentions something like, "Do you remember the time when Monica..."

I'd rather be doin' the mattie. :hi5:Friends, and Seinfeld were 2 of the dumbest comedys ever IMO. Slapstick humor at it's worst. Give me the School of funny walks, or Spam, or Lumberjacks anyday over that crap!

Rocky Raccoon
05-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Friends, and Seinfeld were 2 of the dumbest comedys ever IMO. Slapstick humor at it's worst. Give me the School of funny walks, or Spam, or Lumberjacks anyday over that crap!

Seinfeld was hilarious

GRAPEAPE
05-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Seinfeld was hilariousSorry I just couldn't watch it.

Rocky Raccoon
05-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Sorry I just couldn't watch it.

you better be sorry!

Gonzo
05-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Friends, and Seinfeld were 2 of the dumbest comedys ever IMO. Slapstick humor at it's worst. Give me the School of funny walks, or Spam, or Lumberjacks anyday over that crap!

I have to disagree with you on Seinfeld 100%, but I can understand how some people wouldn't like it. However, Monty Python, Fawlty Tower, etc. are classics. :yes:

Threadjack complete.

Shula Come Back!
05-17-2006, 06:11 PM
who is Pete Doherty anyway?

Peter Doherty was the lead singer of an english band called the libertines. They made a couple of albums and that's it. See what I mean?? The kid's a bum...he was dating Kate Moss though....although she is a junky too!