PDA

View Full Version : Worst Sports Franchise Ever?

Roman529
05-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Who do you guys think is the worst franchise ever?

Rocky Raccoon
05-13-2006, 03:57 PM
I would have to say the Atlanta Hawks

AirFishOne
05-13-2006, 03:58 PM
the New York Jets :D

on a serious note, mayb the New Orleans Saints

Rocky Raccoon
05-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Roman there is no way the Boston Bruins should be on that list...they have one of the best histories in all of sports. The Devil Rays are still too young a franchise also.

byroan
05-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Before I saw the poll the Saints were my choice, they still are. :chuckle:

ganooch
05-13-2006, 04:07 PM
the chicago/st. louis/arizona cardinals
hands down.
maybe this year they can turn things around

Metal Panda
05-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Saints. Only one playoff win in team history.

Roman529
05-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Roman there is no way the Boston Bruins should be on that list...they have one of the best histories in all of sports. The Devil Rays are still too young a franchise also.

I don't ever remember the Bruins being good....and I go back at least 30+ years, not to mention the WORST transactions ever....look at all the great players they have gotten rid of. I rest my case. :wink:

ganooch
05-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I don't ever remember the Bruins being good....and I go back at least 30+ years, not to mention the WORST transactions ever....look at all the great players they have gotten rid of. I rest my case. :wink:
last cup was 1972

Rocky Raccoon
05-13-2006, 04:18 PM

10 retired numbers
5 Stanley Cups (9 appearences in the Stanley Cup finals)
62 playoff appearences in 82 seasons of existencefrom the NHL playoff thread.

looks like a pretty good team history to me :wink:

Metal Panda
05-13-2006, 04:22 PM
from the NHL playoff thread.

:sidelol: A franchise that won 5 Stanley Cups is on "worst franchise ever" list.

What next, the Golden State Warriors on a "best franchises in history" thread?

ganooch
05-13-2006, 04:23 PM
no way bruins should be on that list

like2god
05-13-2006, 04:25 PM
I am very tempted to say the Buffalo Bills.....very tempted :D . But my vote goes to the Expos/Nationals. Just think about how good they could have been if they were able to keep their players instead of having a fire sale at every trade deadline.

They would have had:

Pedro martinez
Randy Johnson
Vlad Guerrero
Larry Walker
Bartolo Colon
Moises Alou
Vinny Castilla
Ted Lilly
Jeff Fassero
Cliff Floyd
Brad Fullmer
Andres Galarraga
Marquis Grissom
Carl Pavano
Ugueth Urbina
Javier Vazquez
Jose Vidro
John Wetteland

They could have been a very good team, but they were run into the ground. Not to mention they averaged something like 3000 fans at home games. Just awful.

Perfect23
05-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Hate to say this but the Devil-Rays.

Metal Panda
05-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Hate to say this but the Devil-Rays.

nah. they're too new.

Perfect23
05-13-2006, 04:29 PM
nah. they're too new.

Yeah the D-Backs are too new and they have a world series title.

and why aint the cubs on this list.

Metal Panda
05-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Yeah the D-Backs are too new and they have a world series title.

and why aint the cubs on this list.

yea, but most "newer" franchises aren't expected to win championships in the early years of their existence. Many of the other teams on this list have far longer periods of futility.

The Cubs don't belong on the list. Long world series slump or not, the team did win two World Series and appeared in 8 more. Since this thread is titled "Worst Sports Franchise Ever" and not "worst sports franchise in recent history", plus the fact that the team has been in the playoffs recently, the Cubs belong nowhere near this list.

Roman529
05-13-2006, 04:35 PM
from the NHL playoff thread.

I forgot all about the Chicago Blackhawks. :smackhead The Chicago Cubs have not been great either, but they have been competitive and have had great players and fan support, just have not won the World Series since 1908. :D

Roman529
05-13-2006, 04:36 PM
:sidelol: A franchise that won 5 Stanley Cups is on "worst franchise ever" list.

What next, the Golden State Warriors on a "best franchises in history" thread?

You hush. :lol:

Roman529
05-13-2006, 04:39 PM
I am very tempted to say the Buffalo Bills.....very tempted :D . But my vote goes to the Expos/Nationals. Just think about how good they could have been if they were able to keep their players instead of having a fire sale at every trade deadline.

They would have had:

Pedro martinez
Randy Johnson
Vlad Guerrero
Larry Walker
Bartolo Colon
Moises Alou
Vinny Castilla
Ted Lilly
Jeff Fassero
Cliff Floyd
Brad Fullmer
Andres Galarraga
Marquis Grissom
Carl Pavano
Ugueth Urbina
Javier Vazquez
Jose Vidro
John Wetteland

They could have been a very good team, but they were run into the ground. Not to mention they averaged something like 3000 fans at home games. Just awful.

Don't forget Gary Carter and The Hawk (Andre Dawson)...I'm Old School.

NaboCane
05-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Devils Rays, just for the name. Anytime you're so ****ing lame that you can't even think of one of the 300,000 species of animals - not to mention the millions of things - to name your team, and you have to invent a whole new species for it, you suck.

The Bengals have at least seen the big show, they've been bad recently but not always.

The Washington Senators had Camilo Pasqual, the second-greatest Cuban pitcher of all time, so they get a pass.

The Cardinals, Saints and Lions would have to rank pretty high on the list too...each of them exemplifies futility.

Metal Panda
05-13-2006, 04:42 PM
I forgot all about the Chicago Blackhawks. :smackhead The Chicago Cubs have not been great either, but they have been competitive and have had great players and fan support, just have not won the World Series since 1908. :D

yea, the Cubs are the winningest team in baseball history in the regular season and have an all-time record of 9835-9286.

That and the fact that they won many National League championships before the world series existed and I can't believe they were suggested for this list :)

King Nate
05-13-2006, 04:44 PM
The Devil Rays should not be on that list! :fire:

Roman529
05-13-2006, 04:48 PM
yea, the Cubs are the winningest team in baseball history in the regular season and have an all-time record of 9835-9286.

That and the fact that they won many National League championships before the world series existed and I can't believe they were suggested for this list :)

Also Rob, The Golden State Warriors had a great team in the mid-1970's with Rick Barry, Keith Wilkes (Jammal Wilkes). They won the NBA championship I believe in 1975? That was right about when I started to watch the NBA. They had great teams when they were the Philadelphia Warriors as well. My Phillies have the most losses ever by any sports franchise...but I think they have been around since the 1880's, and they won the WS in 1980.

Metal Panda
05-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Also Rob, The Golden State Warriors had a great team in the mid-1970's with Rick Barry, Keith Wilkes (Jammal Wilkes). They won the NBA championship I believe in 1975? That was right about when I started to watch the NBA. They had great teams when they were the Philadelphia Warriors as well. My Phillies have the most losses ever by any sports franchise...but I think they have been around since the 1880's, and they won the WS in 1980.

Oh I know about that, I just don't consider them one of the greatest of all time, which is why I thought it would be funny if they were on that list.

It's hard to define "worst" I suppose. My vision of worst is no championships (which usually precludes any of the 'original' franchises in any sport), and long droughts without playoffs/winning seasons.

FinFan72
05-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Saints. Only one playoff win in team history.

chicago/st. louis/arizona cardinals

First NFL Game Played October 10, 1920
Total Playoff Appearances 6
1947, 1948, 1974, 1975, 1982, 1998
I think that can be considered bad but i am not for sure how many of those appearances were wins

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/CardChilogo2-1.gif

Metal Panda
05-13-2006, 04:58 PM
chicago/st. louis/arizona cardinals

First NFL Game Played October 10, 1920
Total Playoff Appearances 6
1947, 1948, 1974, 1975, 1982, 1998
I think that can be considered bad but i am not for sure how many of those appearances were wins

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/azchi/CardChilogo2.gif

I almost picked them. even if they won all of those, that's still awful.

FinFan72
05-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Devils Rays, just for the name. Anytime you're so ****ing lame that you can't even think of one of the 300,000 species of animals - not to mention the millions of things - to name your team, and you have to invent a whole new species for it, you suck.

The Bengals have at least seen the big show, they've been bad recently but not always.

The Washington Senators had Camilo Pasqual, the second-greatest Cuban pitcher of all time, so they get a pass.

The Cardinals, Saints and Lions would have to rank pretty high on the list too...each of them exemplifies futility.
Dont forget walter johnson

FinFan72
05-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh I know about that, I just don't consider them one of the greatest of all time, which is why I thought it would be funny if they were on that list.

It's hard to define "worst" I suppose. My vision of worst is no championships (which usually precludes any of the 'original' franchises in any sport), and long droughts without playoffs/winning seasons.
:yes:

unifiedtheory
05-13-2006, 09:29 PM
The WORST organization in team sports history does not have:
26 players, coaches or managers in the hockey hall of fame (I consider a true Bruin someone who was with the team for at least 5 years, otherwise that number is MUCH higher).
10 retired numbers
5 Stanley Cups (9 appearences in the Stanley Cup finals)
62 playoff appearences in 82 seasons of existence
The greatest player to ever play the sport also was a Bruin.You go back 30+ years and don't remember the Bruins ever being good?

In the last 30 years the Bruins have:
Made the playoffs 27 times
Won their division 11 times
Had over 100 points 12 times
Gone to the Finals twice.Not a great 30 years but, better then a lot of franchises can talk about.

WORST transactions?
Allison and Eloranta for Stumpel and Glen Murray. Advantage Bruins, big time.
Esposito for Jean Ratelle and Brad Park. Advantage Bruins.
Craig Janney for Adam Oates. Laughable.
Barry Pederson for Cam Neely and a first round pick (Glen Wesley). One of the best trades in team sports history.
Pete Peeters for Brad McCrimmon. Peeters won a Vezina.Hindsight is always available when you are talking about trades. Every team makes bad trades...and they make good ones. I am not going to talk about this year because, Mike O'Connell ran the team into the ground. Hell, if you look at the players he let walk in the last 18 months and what he got in return I'll rank my Bruins as the worst run team in all of sports.

That is RECENT history though and this poll is ALL TIME.

I can not look at myself in the mirror and defend how the Bruins have been run for the last 10 years but to put them in a poll of "worst organizations in team sports history" ranks near the top of one of the most uneducated statements I've ever heard.

Right NOW they are the 2nd worst run team in pro sports (the Blackhawks are worst) but, all time, they are a flagship NHL franchise being ruined by disinterested ownership and horrific management. Historically they are NOT an all time crappy franchise...not even close.

My hope is one day Jermey Jacobs will die and someone will run the team the way it should be run.

Nappy Roots
05-13-2006, 09:43 PM
um, its awful that the Rays are even on this poll. and the fact that 4 people voted for it....

umm...wow.

ih8brady
05-13-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm tempted to say cardinals but they have really laid the grounds for a turnaround in the next 2-3 years this offseason. Therefore the worst franchise is the only team more pathetic than the Arizona Cardinals, the New Orleans Saints who still have a godawful team(Brees will be old and rusty by the time their young talent---what little they have---gets good, if ever).

Alex44
05-13-2006, 10:22 PM
um, its awful that the Rays are even on this poll. and the fact that 4 people voted for it....

umm...wow.

Well they have had enough time to at least field a decent team......I didnt vote for them but I can see why they are there

It would be another thing if the Texans were there, that would be wrong

King Nate
05-13-2006, 10:39 PM

umm...wow.

:yeahthat:

dominizzo
05-13-2006, 10:58 PM
bruins n saints

unifiedtheory
05-13-2006, 11:26 PM
bruins n saints

And I know who you voted for....you need a history lesson.

I'm gonna get myself banned if I keep debating this with you.

bullseyeguy
05-13-2006, 11:33 PM
Cardinals, hands down...
I can atleast think of a Saints Hall of Fame player, Cardinals????

unifiedtheory
05-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Cardinals, hands down...
I can atleast think of a Saints Hall of Fame player, Cardinals????

Dan Dierdorf.

bullseyeguy
05-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Dan Dierdorf.Ok, you got me there, but anyone else...I mean he was good , but their only known Hall of Famer is an O Lineman...

GreenMonster
05-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Anyone that votes for the Bruins can't call themselves a hockey fan..

The Hawks should get more love, expect for a brief period with Nique, they have been total garbage most every year..

dominizzo
05-14-2006, 12:08 AM
Dan Dierdorf.

dude i just them the bruins

ih8brady
05-14-2006, 12:22 AM
I don't think the Bengals deserve to be called the worst franchise. Granted they were bottom feeders for a decade but they're back to respectability(playoffs even) and they did make it to the dance in 89. A lot more than the Aints and Cardinals histories.

Metal Panda
05-14-2006, 12:51 AM
Well they have had enough time to at least field a decent team......I didnt vote for them but I can see why they are there

It would be another thing if the Texans were there, that would be wrong

I don't consider 9 years of losing to be a "legacy of losing" like some of the other franchises on this list. Devil Rays being on this list is a joke, since there are so many other franchises who have been suffering a lot longer.

Metal Panda
05-14-2006, 12:52 AM
And I know who you voted for....you need a history lesson.

I'm gonna get myself banned if I keep debating this with you.

hell I think even had they only won one Cup, that'd preclude them from the list.

dominizzo, how in the hell can you vote for the Bruins? I'm no hockey fan at all, but 5 championships=good. if anything that might qualify them for the other thread (best franchises ever)

Metal Panda
05-14-2006, 12:54 AM

umm...wow.

I don't get it either. The team hasn't even existed a decade...plus it isn't exactly large market or in an area that is really anything more than fairweather about baseball.

could they have done better by now? perhaps. One of the worst franchises EVER? Hell no.

HysterikiLL
05-14-2006, 01:09 AM
New England Patriots

Majpain
05-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Minnestoa sports besides the Twins.

Quelonio
05-14-2006, 01:33 AM
I voted for the Cardinals... But I would think it would be a good idea to put the Chicago Hockey franchise (The blackhawks i think) they just seem to suck...

Majpain
05-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Also the Knicks

NMNB
05-14-2006, 03:28 AM
Bruins have a great history. I'd be more tempted to vote Knicks, lol.

Metal Panda
05-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Also the Knicks

nah, dude, the Knicks have a couple of NBA titles. Just because they stink now doesn't put them in the annals of bad franchise history.

mor911
05-14-2006, 01:16 PM
1. New York Jets
2. Buffalo Bills
3. New England Patriots

Me biased? No way!

Muck
05-14-2006, 01:25 PM
I'd love to say the Knicks and the Jets.

Oh what the hell....

KNICKS AND JETS!!

King Felix
05-14-2006, 03:03 PM
tampa def should be on there

Metal Panda
05-14-2006, 03:56 PM
of all-time? I'm still having trouble fathoming how a team that isn't even ten years old yet all of a sudden qualifies for one of the worst franchises "of all time".

if you go back into the far reaches of sports history, you'll find much worse.

Coral Reefer
05-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Where's the Detroit Lions?

They have to be on the list for consideration.

Cardinals, Expos and Clippers take the top three with an honorable mention to the Lions.

Bengals and Bruins should'nt be on that list especially the Bengals.

They've been to 2 Super Bowls No?

Funny to see Devil Ray fans getting their panties in a wad.
They belong on the list more than the 2 franchises above but I can see the argument for why they should'nt be on it..... somewhat.

Ronnie Bass
05-14-2006, 06:50 PM
I forgot all about the Chicago Blackhawks. :smackhead

Yup, I voted for other and the Black Hawks is the other, Wirtz is JUST killing that once proud franchise.

Kobe
05-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Saints hands down.

Dol-Fan Dupree
05-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Detroit Lions

ih8brady
05-14-2006, 08:55 PM
tampa def should be on there

funny because the Mariners have a longer streak of not getting a pennant(1977-now), so technically they have a richer history of mediocrity. :shakeno:

Metal Panda
05-14-2006, 09:09 PM
funny because the Mariners have a longer streak of not getting a pennant(1977-now), so technically they have a richer history of mediocrity. :shakeno:

I don't agree with tampa bay being on here either, but how the hell do you compare Seattle? They've at least won their division before and been to the playoffs :)

King Nate
05-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Well if we're putting Tampa on there might as well put the Houston Texans on there...:rolleyes:

Wait at least ten more years and then if they still haven't won anything, I'll agree that they should be in consideration for this list.

maddendude
05-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Out of the big 3 sports, I can think of 2 really bad teams, Royals and Texans. The royals just flat out suck. They miss opportunities, their farm sucks, they're owner doesn't wanna spend anything on them, they hired one of the worst coaches, just everything about them sucks.

The Texnas r too young to judge yet. They've made some big mistakes in their short history. Like trading away a 2nd round pick for buchanon, skipping bush!, signing dominick davis to a fat contract. But theres alot of positives about this team, so they dont contend for Worst Ever.

The saints have just been screwed by Deuce every year. This year they'll be good with Brees and Bush, and deuce healthy. Same with the cards, they've sucked but this year is different. They got big name James, and Leinart.

The nationals have some good players...Patterson, Soriano, Nick Johnson. Other than they suck though, lol. They can definatly contend for worst ever.

Lastly...the Devil Rays DONT suck! They have much young talent, and one of the best farms in baseball. Cantu, Lugo, Gomes, Wig, Huff, Crawford = good enough offense. BUt their pitchign sucks...all they have is Kazmir. A 22 year old ace means ur rotation sucks.

Who the heck voted for the bengals!

So yea, I dunno much about the royals' history...but now they are going completely in the wrong direction. They're easily the worst sports team out of the big 3 sports right now. Thats my 2 cents.

NaboCane
05-15-2006, 01:21 AM

Sodo Mojo, baby!