PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Help Advice Needed

Tone_E
05-13-2006, 04:46 PM
I currently play competitive indoor soccer and arena ball hockey, and wish to increase my running speed.

I am already one of the fastest in both leagues, but wish to become faster. I have a thin build, and as a result my acceleration is adequate, but my top end speed is my best feature.

I wish to increase both accelleration, and top end speed, with a little more emphasis on the accelleration.

Are there any specific exercises that I can do to focus on this goal?

dolfan72734me
05-13-2006, 05:14 PM
I currently play competitive indoor soccer and arena ball hockey, and wish to increase my running speed.

I am already one of the fastest in both leagues, but wish to become faster. I have a thin build, and as a result my acceleration is adequate, but my top end speed is my best feature.

I wish to increase both accelleration, and top end speed, with a little more emphasis on the accelleration.

Are there any specific exercises that I can do to focus on this goal?
What is your training like now? Bungee ropes, parachutes, jump sole shoes...those are a few training aids.

Agent51
05-13-2006, 05:28 PM
What is your training like now? Bungee ropes, parachutes, jump sole shoes...those are a few training aids.

Yea, those are awesome training aids for speed and accelration. Also, weighted sleds. Even just wearing a weight belt and some ankle weights can help, but any of the bigger stuff (sleds, parachutes, the shoes, etc) will give you bigger results.

Tone_E
05-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks, I will def try ask my gym if they have those exercises. Doubt I will be able to find a parachute though. :wink:

Anyways, I have no set routine as of now, but have been doing some research on which one to use. I naturally want to build up as much mass on my upper body as possible, but not the same can be said about my lower body. I do understand that it should be proportional, but would rather focus on exercises that would allow me to run quicker.

Do general leg exercises such as presses and squats increase my accelleration just be increasing my muscle mass in my upper legs? And do I need to do specific exercises designed to refine the specialized muscles to increase my running speed?

Agent51
05-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks, I will def try ask my gym if they have those exercises. Doubt I will be able to find a parachute though. :wink:

Anyways, I have no set routine as of now, but have been doing some research on which one to use. I naturally want to build up as much mass on my upper body as possible, but not the same can be said about my lower body. I do understand that it should be proportional, but would rather focus on exercises that would allow me to run quicker.

Do general leg exercises such as presses and squats increase my accelleration just be increasing my muscle mass in my upper legs? And do I need to do specific exercises designed to refine the specialized muscles to increase my running speed?

I've never seen a direct correlation betwen squats and such increasing speed, but that doesn't mean it doesn't. The thing with weights and cutes is that you are working with resistance so when you learn proper form WITH the resistance, and then take that away, you now acheive greater speed with less effort. It's the same concept as baseball players taking practice swings with donuts (weights) on their bats right before they are up. They don't do it to build mass, they use them to add resistance, so when they remove them they achieve greater bat speed with less effort, it's that whole "muscle memory" thing.

icephinfan
05-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Running on the sand barefoot..soft sand will increase your speed and stamina.

Agent51
05-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Also, if your gyms doesn't have any of that equipment (as I doubt many small to mid-sized gyms will) then you can go oldschool and just run with a sandbag, or even a normel iron/lead weight (not dumbells, but the weights you put on the bars) clutch to your chest. It's a lot harder because you don't have your arms to use to swing like when normally running, but it is resistance. Also, a lot of gyms, even smaller ones, have weight belts with a chain on them that you can put through weights, so the weight is hanging between your legs. You're technically supposed to use those for doing dips but you CAN run with them, although it's pretty pointless because you run like you crappy your pants, haha, you can't use your normal running motion (the weights will smash your legs). Actually that is pretty pointless, but it's fun to get friends and all put them on and have races, haha. My friend out here runs the gym on the Navy base so when they close at 9 thats when we all workout, cuz we have the GIANT Navy gym (and I mean friggin HUGE) all to ourselves.

Agent51
05-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Running on the sand barefoot..soft sand will increase your speed and stamina.

Also in the water, like ankle to mid-shin deep. I do that for my cardio, and the sand also helps with the stabalizing muscles in your feet and lower legs, which transfer over to surfing VERY well as you have a better feel for your board when those tiny muscles are developed. However, this is all a moot point if he doesn't live near the ocean or a lake with a sandy beach, lol.

dolfan72734me
05-13-2006, 05:47 PM
http://www.athleticquickness.com/page.asp?page_id=15

dolfan72734me
05-13-2006, 05:52 PM
http://www.jumpusa.com/advjump.htm

Tone_E
05-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Wow. Clear concise answers from all of you. Thanks guys, gonna try and do as many of those as I can, and see what works best for me.

tucker
05-13-2006, 09:23 PM
do longer steps in your runs for quickness and smaller steps for acceleration

actually i may have it backwards..i'll get back to this tomorrow

sugarcane
05-14-2006, 09:21 AM
Arnie Kander,read up on this guy. :)

FinaciousOne
05-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Remember to stretch and maintain your range of motion. Many guys who start adding resistance lose flexability because they don't give it enough attention.

Tone_E
05-14-2006, 04:37 PM
Thanks to all of you.