PDA

View Full Version : XBox Live Help

Agent51
05-13-2006, 05:25 PM
OK, I have yet to set up any of my XBox live crap for the 360 (hell, I've barely touched the system), and I have a question as some of the descriptions on the XBL site are confusing, or not clear.

My first question:

The XBL site says

"Note: Silver level requires Xbox 360 storage device and broadband connection. Xbox Live Marketplace downloads may require an additional fee."

I have a few questions. One, the HD counts as a storage device right, or do they mean you need a memory card too? I'm sure this is a stupid question, the HD is obviously a storage device, but I'm just covering all bases here. Two, it says XBL marketplace DLs may require an additional fee, does this mean with the Silver one you have to PAY to DL the Demos, or are those free?

Also, it say Gold is the only one with multiplayer online gamomg, but then it says both Gold and Silver can play MMO games? So how is it that you can play MMOs with both, but all other games you can only play with Gold?

Another question pertaining to the MMO thing, since Test Drive Unlimited is basically a racing MMO, and being described by the developers as such, does that mean I will still be able to play it online if I just stick with Silver and don't buy Gold?

Sorry for all the potential stupid or common sense questions, lol, but I hardly EVER online game, and I've never once used XBL, with the original XBox OR the 360, so I'm clueless. I'm asking now because I've got free time ALL day Sunday and I wanna finally DL the Test Drive Unlimted and MotoGP demos, which means I obviously have to setup my Live stuff, so I wanna know if I just stick with silver if I will have to pay for the demos, and also if I will be able to play TDU when it is released since it is an MMO. If I don;t have to pay for demos and I can play MMOs like TDU, then I don't need silver because the only game I will ever even think of playing online is Test Drive, which allegedly is free, lol.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help.

VanDolPhan
05-13-2006, 07:31 PM
OK, I have yet to set up any of my XBox live crap for the 360 (hell, I've barely touched the system), and I have a question as some of the descriptions on the XBL site are confusing, or not clear.

My first question:

The XBL site says

"Note: Silver level requires Xbox 360 storage device and broadband connection. Xbox Live Marketplace downloads may require an additional fee."

I have a few questions. One, the HD counts as a storage device right, or do they mean you need a memory card too? I'm sure this is a stupid question, the HD is obviously a storage device, but I'm just covering all bases here. Two, it says XBL marketplace DLs may require an additional fee, does this mean with the Silver one you have to PAY to DL the Demos, or are those free?

Also, it say Gold is the only one with multiplayer online gamomg, but then it says both Gold and Silver can play MMO games? So how is it that you can play MMOs with both, but all other games you can only play with Gold?

Another question pertaining to the MMO thing, since Test Drive Unlimited is basically a racing MMO, and being described by the developers as such, does that mean I will still be able to play it online if I just stick with Silver and don't buy Gold?

Sorry for all the potential stupid or common sense questions, lol, but I hardly EVER online game, and I've never once used XBL, with the original XBox OR the 360, so I'm clueless. I'm asking now because I've got free time ALL day Sunday and I wanna finally DL the Test Drive Unlimted and MotoGP demos, which means I obviously have to setup my Live stuff, so I wanna know if I just stick with silver if I will have to pay for the demos, and also if I will be able to play TDU when it is released since it is an MMO. If I don;t have to pay for demos and I can play MMOs like TDU, then I don't need silver because the only game I will ever even think of playing online is Test Drive, which allegedly is free, lol.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help.

God no wonder your always championing the PS. Your missing out on what makes the Xbox take that huge leap.

Yes the harddrive is the storage device they are talking about. Demo's are free. The pay content comes from stuff like downloadable packs for games such as PGR3 and Oblivion, Arcade games and various skins etc

MMO is short for MMORPG games. I'm assuming this is what they are talking about here as MMORPG games such as FF online have their own fee seperate from xbox live's fee (just like PC). So no you'll need gold for Test Drive Unlimited online.

Just a word of warning you may need a router as a lot of cable/dsl connections (like mine) would require you to phone them up everytime you switched between PC and your console.

Agent51
05-13-2006, 09:38 PM
God no wonder your always championing the PS. Your missing out on what makes the Xbox take that huge leap.

Yes the harddrive is the storage device they are talking about. Demo's are free. The pay content comes from stuff like downloadable packs for games such as PGR3 and Oblivion, Arcade games and various skins etc

MMO is short for MMORPG games. I'm assuming this is what they are talking about here as MMORPG games such as FF online have their own fee seperate from xbox live's fee (just like PC). So no you'll need gold for Test Drive Unlimited online.

Just a word of warning you may need a router as a lot of cable/dsl connections (like mine) would require you to phone them up everytime you switched between PC and your console.

Well, I've never once praised the online play of the PS2/3, lol, so that is kind of a moot point. I just never play online games, aside form some random NCAA or Madden here and there. I have only been "championing" the PS3 lately because everyone else is bashing it and it's annoying. I do prefer Sony, because I like their system/game lineup much more, but I also like the XBox/360, and own both.

Alright, I was thinking tha HD counted as the storage device, and that demos were free, but the wording on the XBL site made me question it, thank you.

I know what MMOs are, and, while it isn't "role playing" in the traditional Final Fantasy/Warcraft sense, if you read the Test Drive reviews they are talking about it as a "racing MMO" since the whole big selling point of their game is the living, breathing online world. You can make crews (like in games like Warcraft) and freely roam collecting things and racing/performing tasks at will (like the free roam in other games, with the choice of missions/objectives whenever you choose), you can buy and sell items from other users, like cars and such (like in games like Warcraft), and you can go into places like restaurants and bars and such to "chat" with other users to set up races, sell cars, and making "crews". Since the developers (and all the review sites) are classifying this as an MMO, that is why I wanted to know if I could play it with Silver, assuming it is released as an official MMO. So my question I guess would be, say Test Drive gets officially classified as a MMO, I will be able to play it with silver then, right?

I've got my whole house wired up, lol, so that won't be a problem. I have a whole wired network setup from before, which cables going to every room for my laptops. I am currently using a wireless network, but everything is still run to all the rooms to make wired connections too, so I won't have any problems connected through wires now, and then wirelessly whenever an adapter comes out for the 360 (is there already one out?).

I'm not clueless to online gaming, or computers and networking, I just have never used XBL so I was curious about the 2 different subscriptions, as the website words the descriptions kind of confusingly.

One last question. WIth the demos, can you play THOSE online with SIlver, or do you need Gold to play online with those too? My guess is you need gold, but again, just wanna make sure.

Thanks for your answers man, I appreciate it :D

xDOLPHINSx
05-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Yes there is an adapter out for the 360. I think its like $100 for the one they put out.

Not quite sure whether you can play online demo's with silver, its worth a try though. If anything it will cost credits, it won't just automatically charge you. Thats my best guess anyway.

Deus Ex Dolphin
05-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Gold pretty much lets you play all games online, and all the downloads and such. Silver lets you download the game demos, trailers, etc, and play online on "free weekends" or like this week of E3, when it was/is free all week long.

I'm sure there will be plenty of "free weekends" ahead, as MS knows that is the big appeal of Xbox Live. My friend got a free month of gold service with the purchase of his 360, so that might be standard now. I've had gold since 2002, and got to beta test Xbox Live a bit too. That was a sweet time online since we knew we were the "chosen few" and 99% of the gamers then where cool to chat with and eager to compare experiences. Now the ratio of punk kids is pretty high, so you need a good friends list to avoid them.

Anyway, just figure out what Gamertag you want, plug in the 360 and you are probably good to go. You might need to input some DNS numbers or such, but often it's all plug-and-play. If the ethernet cables are handy, I'd use them instead of investing in a wireless adapter.

Don't be too worried about the Xbox Live Marketplace, as it can be confusing to navigate at times, I'm still finding new stuff and I'm supposed to be a vet at this. :D

Downloads on game demos can be huge, huge files, and take over an hour at times. They are supposed to speed it up in the future, but it's a bit lame at this point. I usually start a download then surf the web on the PC and get back to it later. Everything will be clearly marked as "free" or list the cost, so no worries there.

Agent51
05-14-2006, 08:41 AM
Gold pretty much lets you play all games online, and all the downloads and such. Silver lets you download the game demos, trailers, etc, and play online on "free weekends" or like this week of E3, when it was/is free all week long.

I'm sure there will be plenty of "free weekends" ahead, as MS knows that is the big appeal of Xbox Live. My friend got a free month of gold service with the purchase of his 360, so that might be standard now. I've had gold since 2002, and got to beta test Xbox Live a bit too. That was a sweet time online since we knew we were the "chosen few" and 99% of the gamers then where cool to chat with and eager to compare experiences. Now the ratio of punk kids is pretty high, so you need a good friends list to avoid them.

Anyway, just figure out what Gamertag you want, plug in the 360 and you are probably good to go. You might need to input some DNS numbers or such, but often it's all plug-and-play. If the ethernet cables are handy, I'd use them instead of investing in a wireless adapter.

Don't be too worried about the Xbox Live Marketplace, as it can be confusing to navigate at times, I'm still finding new stuff and I'm supposed to be a vet at this. :D

Downloads on game demos can be huge, huge files, and take over an hour at times. They are supposed to speed it up in the future, but it's a bit lame at this point. I usually start a download then surf the web on the PC and get back to it later. Everything will be clearly marked as "free" or list the cost, so no worries there.

Awesome, thanks dude.

Yea I was just going to plug it in anyway, there's really no need to go wireless with it since it will be in the same place at all times, and there is already an ethernet cable there.