PDA

View Full Version : Hometown Legends or Ghosts

SCall13
05-13-2006, 06:18 PM
I thought it would be cool to hear about other people's hometown legends or ghost stories. Seems every state has it's own share of legends that are passed down from generation to generation. Here is one from North Carolina. There are several variations of this.

Brown Mountain Lights
As mountains go, low-lying Brown Mountain in Burke County is not impressive. Yet it is one of the most famous mountains in North Carolina. On certain evenings soon after dark, when observed from the eminence of Linville or Wiseman's Gap, small but brilliant lights can be seen on it, bobbing up and down for a minute or so, then disappearing, then reappearing in another place until finally they are gone. They were first seen about 1850 long before the day of trains and electricity and automobiles.

One legend tells of a girl who lived on the mountain with her father. Every night her sweetheart came from the village to see her, tramping through a forest of snakes and vicious animals. On the evening when he was to take her away to be married, she lighted a pine torch and went out to welcome him. He never came. But from then on, at sunset, she raised her flaming torch and darted from here to there on the mountain, hoping to come upon him. After her death the light of her torch still could be seen on stormy nights.

Another legend concerns a wicked man named Jim, whose sweet-tempered young wife Belinda was to have a child. Jim was courting Susie and began to speak harsh words and be cruel to Belinda. One day neighbors noticed that they had not seen Belinda for some while. Jim said she had gone to visit her kinfolk, but the neighbors were suspicious when they discovered bloodstains on the floor of the mountain cabin. Their suspicions were further heightened when an indigent stranger drove away with Jim's horse and wagon. They believed the stranger had helped Jim kill and bury Belinda, and Jim was paying him off in this way. Soon afterward the lights appeared, bobbing up and down, seemingly to guide searchers looking for Belinda. Finally, under a pile of stones in a deep ravine they found the skulls of a woman and a baby. Jim left the county and was never heard of again, but the lights stayed on, reminding evildoers that their crimes will be revealed.

Apart from the legends, scientists have provided many explanations for the mysterious Brown Mountain Lights, none of them satisfactory.

Buddwalk
05-13-2006, 06:21 PM
nope...but my grandparents live on 6669 sleepyhollow road

In_Flames
05-13-2006, 06:22 PM
in Virginia we seem to have alot of Civil War battlefield related Hauntings and whatnot...

Buddwalk
05-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Oh yeah forgot I live about a half an hour away from gettysburg :yes:

In_Flames
05-13-2006, 06:40 PM
oh I forgot, we also have this old folklore Vampire story which supposively took place in a local cemetary...if interested here is some info, been there several times myself... The Richmond Vampire (http://www.virginiaghosts.com/vampire_update.htm)

dolfan72734me
05-13-2006, 06:40 PM
I thought it would be cool to hear about other people's hometown legends or ghost stories. Seems every state has it's own share of legends that are passed down from generation to generation. Here is one from North Carolina. There are several variations of this.

Brown Mountain Lights
As mountains go, low-lying Brown Mountain in Burke County is not impressive. Yet it is one of the most famous mountains in North Carolina. On certain evenings soon after dark, when observed from the eminence of Linville or Wiseman's Gap, small but brilliant lights can be seen on it, bobbing up and down for a minute or so, then disappearing, then reappearing in another place until finally they are gone. They were first seen about 1850 long before the day of trains and electricity and automobiles.

One legend tells of a girl who lived on the mountain with her father. Every night her sweetheart came from the village to see her, tramping through a forest of snakes and vicious animals. On the evening when he was to take her away to be married, she lighted a pine torch and went out to welcome him. He never came. But from then on, at sunset, she raised her flaming torch and darted from here to there on the mountain, hoping to come upon him. After her death the light of her torch still could be seen on stormy nights.

Another legend concerns a wicked man named Jim, whose sweet-tempered young wife Belinda was to have a child. Jim was courting Susie and began to speak harsh words and be cruel to Belinda. One day neighbors noticed that they had not seen Belinda for some while. Jim said she had gone to visit her kinfolk, but the neighbors were suspicious when they discovered bloodstains on the floor of the mountain cabin. Their suspicions were further heightened when an indigent stranger drove away with Jim's horse and wagon. They believed the stranger had helped Jim kill and bury Belinda, and Jim was paying him off in this way. Soon afterward the lights appeared, bobbing up and down, seemingly to guide searchers looking for Belinda. Finally, under a pile of stones in a deep ravine they found the skulls of a woman and a baby. Jim left the county and was never heard of again, but the lights stayed on, reminding evildoers that their crimes will be revealed.

Apart from the legends, scientists have provided many explanations for the mysterious Brown Mountain Lights, none of them satisfactory.
I was just reading about the lights. I wish something interesting happened around here.

like2god
05-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Our neighborhood was built on an old battle field and cemetary site. The graves were removed and laid to rest about a mile away, but everyone still thinks that some of the people remain. We moved to this house in October and a few strange things have happened. Now I'm not saying that it was a ghost, there could be another explaination, but it has been a little strange. The kids have seen clouds of black smoke and strange lights on their walls. One of the twins woke up during the middle of the night screaming that he saw a man outside his bedroom door. I was the only one home and I was in the shower, I heard someone pounding on the bathroom door. I said "just a minute" several times but it didn't stop until I opened the door. When the family came home I asked if they were knocking on the door and they all thought that I was crazy. Doors close (usually the bathroom door) and lights turn on and off. I have never seen anything other than blurry spots/round lights in our pictures. I do however have a picture that was taken on Christmas of this year that has a face in the fireplace and a few of the lights. That was weird.

We have had some weird things like that happen before in our family. My grandfather owned a two family house and his tenant saw balls of light and smoke in her daughters bedroom. She also woke up at night with the feeling of having a hood or mask over her head and she couldn't see or move. Her daughter said that she saw a red witch in her bedroom and refused to sleep there after that.

When she moved my cousin moved in. When my grandfather had cancer he had to go to Buffalo for treatments, which is over 150 miles away. One of the times when he was in Buffalo she went into her kitchen and saw him (his upper torso) standing there looking at her.

My niece had an imaginary friend named Dominic that she always used to talk to. One day my sister and I were painting her bedroom, and as we were ripping down the old wallpaper we saw the words Dominic 1948 writen on the wall. That freaked me out, it was one of the few times where I was actually scared.

My Aunt Carol saw my grandmother twice after she died. One time it was late at night and after watching a movie my uncle and my two cousins were sleeping on the sofa in the living room, my aunt was still awake. She said she saw my grandmother walk down the stairs, walk infront of the TV and into the kitchen. She thought it was late and she was seeing things until my cousin Jennifer (who was 6 or 7 at the time) jumped up and ran into the kitchen. My aunt asked her where she was going and my cousin said "to see Grandma".

My Uncle Ernie said that he had several out of body experiences when he was younger. He said he could relax enough to the point that he could make his consciousness leave his body. He wasn't 100% sure if it was just a mental exercise or if he really did leave his body. But he was 100% sure he wasn't dreaming.

My brother also lived in a house where his clothes in his bedroom would be thrown on the floor. He would walk out of his bedroom (clean bedroom mind you) and close the door, then he would count to 10 and open the door and his stuff would be all over. I never personally saw it but my bro has never ever lied to me. He ended up selling his house, and because of some bizarre New York law, had to tell the person who bought it that it was haunted. He ended up losing a couple of thousand dollars just so he could get rid of it. He was really really pissed off.

I am not sure how to explain it, some of the things can be explain away I'm sure. And I'm sure some of you will think i am crazy for believing this stuff, but what can I do, it happened.

Agent51
05-13-2006, 10:24 PM
There is WAY to much stuff to write about my homtown of Newport, RI. TONS and TONS of hauntings and ghost stories. SO many that they have ghost tours and books have been written, the most famous being:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0965258920/102-5208356-0651345?v=glance&n=283155

Just Google Newport, Rhode Island Hauntings (or some varitation) and you will come up with a bunch of results, there are just so many great stories I wouldn't be able to pick just one and tell it, I'd end up hijacking the thread and writing a mini-book, lol, and my posts are always too long as it is. :lol:

As far as out here in Hawai'i, I really haven't looked into it, which is surprising since I love exploring and reading about haunted and spooky things. I'm sure there are a bunch just surrounding Pear Harbor and all that, nevermind all of the ancient Hawai'ian legends. I do know of the Mount Kilauea "curse" where supposedly if you take any of the lava rocks from the volcano and off the island with you you get REALLY bad luck. I've even seen a TV special about it, where people have taken a lava rock as a souveneir and they go home and tons of bad stuff happens to them, so they mail the rock back to the park service asking them to place it back on the volcano and as soon as they mail it back their bad luck ends. THAT is kind of odd.

dolfan72734me
05-13-2006, 10:43 PM
I was just reading about the lights. I wish something interesting happened around here.
Oh wait, I forgot. We have the Leprechaun :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nda_OSWeyn8&search=leprechaun
http://www.wpmi.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=BA041869-2CE7-4879-B0C3-6BDEE14609D6

ChrisKo
05-15-2006, 11:45 AM
The Famous Ghost Tracks in San Antonio.....there's many other ghost legends in SA too.
http://paranormal.about.com/library/weekly/aa031201a.htm

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/TX-GunterHotel.html
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/TX-MengerHotel.html

GRAPEAPE
05-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Here in E-ville is supposedly the most haunted library in the US, The SciFi channel ghost hunter people did a show about it. I have never been there.

Roman529
05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
There is supposed to be a haunted train that runs into the mountains from a small town called Manitou Springs near here....you supposedly can hear the train whistle sometimes at night. Manitou Springs is named after a "Manitou" which I believe is some type of an Indian ghost spirit which the Ute Indians believe in.