PDA

View Full Version : hear my train a coming

Walking25
05-14-2006, 12:32 AM
acoustic jimi hendrix vid
http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=1793 (http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=1793)

this is from the jimi hendrix movie

TJamesW_phinfan
05-14-2006, 10:17 AM
That was a side I had not seen of him before. I love the sound of acoustic guitar by itself or with vocals be it blues, jazz, folk, rock, country, or classical. Thanks for posting that. :)

On a side note... I don't recall ever seeing a movie specifically on Hendrix. I am looking forward to this if they stay to his story and don't over hollywood it.

FLOUNDER
05-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Jimi Hendrix = Greatest Guitarist Ever!

I cant wait for the movie to come out

Walking25
05-14-2006, 04:55 PM
Jimi Hendrix (Deluxe Edition) (1973)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009E3234/ref=pd_lpo_k2a_1_img/103-5363666-8906241?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
If any artist deserved a hagiography it was Jimi Hendrix, and Joe Boyd's 1973 "authorized" tribute adequately sanctifies the legend. Perversely for a documentary, it achieves this simply through well-chosen concert footage rather than through the insights of the various talking heads. Pete Townshend, Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Lou Reed, and Germaine Greer are all wheeled out to wax lyrical about their days with Jimi, but nothing is more eloquent than watching and listening to him play. From "Hey Joe" in grainy black and white on the Ready Steady Go TV show, classic footage of Monterey, Woodstock (yes, "The Star-Spangled Banner"), and the Isle of Wight festivals to an acoustic 12- string rendition of "Hear My Train a' Comin'," Hendrix the musician speaks for himself.
But if Hendrix the musician shines through, this is not the most insightful profile of Hendrix the man. The circumstances surrounding his death, for example, are hardly touched upon (girlfriend at the time Monika Dannemann gets only a few seconds of screen time). Interview footage with Hendrix himself plus some occasionally rambling and incoherent comments from such intimates as his father, army buddies, ex-girlfriends (including Linda Keith, who "discovered" him in New York and brought him to England), and fellow musicians all take second place to the music itself. The most sensible quote comes from Little Richard, who proves once and for all that he's utterly bonkers when he says of Jimi's music: "At times he made my big toes shoot up into my boot." --Mark Walker, Amazon.co.uk

Product Description
The long-awaited Deluxe Edition of the 1973 theatrical documentary Jimi Hendrix is loaded with extras and completely remastered and remixed to provide exceptional sound and picture quality This is the biography of Jimi Hendrix, the world famous guitarist who died much too young. Featuring the guitar wizard on stage and behind the scenes, classic concert footage is interspersed with interviews with friends and prominent musicians giving first-hand recollections, including Pete Townshend, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Little Richard, Lou Reed, Buddy Miles and more. Includes songs "Hey Joe," "Rock me baby," "Like a rolling stone," "A Star Spangled Banner" from Woodstock `69 and many more, from his beginnings to his Monterey, Woodstock and Isle of Wight performances DVD Features:
Featurette:From the Ukulele to the Strat RT 63:00 min (Over 60 minutes of additional interviews) Remembering Hendrix through interviews with family and friends Including Father Al Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Drummer Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox, Girlfriend Fayne Pridgeon, Buddy Miles, Linda Keith (she discovered Jimi in NY), Pete Townshend, Jimi's Producer/Engineer Eddie Kramer, "H" Parker, Jimi's Road Manager Eric Barrett and Gerry Stickels Touring Manager
Interviews:Candid interviews from well-known Rock & Roll icons like Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend and Buddy Miles.

TJamesW_phinfan
05-14-2006, 05:08 PM
Cool I'll have to check that out. :)

FLOUNDER
05-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Aren't the making a new movie about him though?

d-day
05-14-2006, 08:36 PM
it's a great dvd for all hendrix fans especially listening to the interview with the twins who kept refering to his passing as the alpha jerk

FinaciousOne
05-14-2006, 10:43 PM
Thanks for sharing that clip. I'd never seen it before.
Did ya'll notice that the first take he attempted to play without a pick, but used one on the second take. He joked that he was scared. I had to smile. Those who play know that using distortion and sustain helps cover less than perfect play whereas an acoustic all by itself can be unforgiving and puts you out there like you're naked. Especially using a 12 string which requires significantly more finger pressure and has a wider fretboard. Watching his right hand for me showed his humanity and vulnerabilities. Notice how his ring finger and fourth finger on his right hand (fretboard) move together and support each other without independence. In today's world that is considered a weakness, but on electric back then with his aggressive hammer-on technique it is unnoticed. Even without technical perfection, he played so expressively.
I love his music because it takes me back to a special time in my life.