PDA

View Full Version : Greece's Orthodox Church: 'Da Vinci Code' False

Celtkin
05-14-2006, 08:11 PM
You know you've struck a note when two major religions (Catholic and Greek Orthodox) go out of their way to procaim a work of fiction as a work of fiction.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,195411,00.html

:lol:

Metal Panda
05-14-2006, 08:19 PM
That always makes me laugh, too.

Celtkin
05-14-2006, 09:32 PM
That always makes me laugh, too.
It makes me wonder why they spend so much effort. What are they afraid of?

It's like trying to prove that Cher has had plastic surgery.

tucker
05-14-2006, 09:37 PM
well they just earned another 10 million in sales

SkapePhin
05-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Well, the controversial bits are actually based on historical research, so they arent trying to debunk fiction really, they are trying to debunk research.

Metal Panda
05-14-2006, 09:39 PM
The book never presented itself as non-fiction, however.

SkapePhin
05-14-2006, 09:46 PM
The book never presented itself as non-fiction, however.

Its not.. Its fiction that uses real-life material (Research and Theory). All good fiction does that. But the Church isnt trying to debunk that some art professor went around gathering clues to discover

SPOILER BELOW:

Jesus' long lost great great great (x's 100's of generations) grand daughter

They are trying to debunk the claim that the Knights Templar (A Real Organization) was guarding the truth of the Holy Grail, that the cup of Christ is Mary Magdalene, as the bearer of his blood child and not some wine glass he drank out of.

SPOILER END.

Celtkin
05-15-2006, 07:09 AM
The author is on the record saying that the book is fiction and is published by Doubleday Fiction.

Things have gotten so bad that Wikipedia has locked the Da Vinci code page with the following warning:

As a result of recent vandalism, editing of this page by new or unregistered users is currently disabled. Changes can be discussed on the talk page, or you may request unprotection

Any Christian who believes in the historical distortion put forth in the Da Vinci Code stopped paying attention in church a long time ago and it may be too late now for the church to convince them otherwise.

All I can say is that you know you have a great work of fiction when you have to beat the 'believers' off with a club

The Rev
05-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Any Christian who believes in the historical distortion put forth in the Da Vinci Code stopped paying attention in church a long time ago and it may be too late now for the church to convince them otherwise.

Amen, Brother. Well said! :wink:

SkapePhin
05-15-2006, 07:43 AM
The author is on the record saying that the book is fiction and is published by Doubleday Fiction.

Things have gotten so bad that Wikipedia has locked the Da Vinci code page with the following warning:

All I can say is that you know you have a great work of fiction when you have to beat the 'believers' off with a club

This is the work where all of the controversial content came from.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440136482/sr=8-1/qid=1147693648/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4672628-7360640?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Its not a fiction novel, but rather, a book that details theory.. Of course, this book is not unequivocal fact, but it is a proposed theory of historical events based on historical research. So no, the points of contention from the Da Vinci Code are not pure fiction, but rather, historical theory.

Celtkin
05-15-2006, 07:58 AM
This is the work where all of the controversial content came from.. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440136482/sr=8-1/qid=1147693648/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4672628-7360640?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Its not a fiction novel, but rather, a book that details theory.. Of course, this book is not unequivocal fact, but it is a proposed theory of historical events based on historical research. So no, the points of contention from the Da Vinci Code are not pure fiction, but rather, historical theory.

Isn't that the book that the UK court say that Brown did not plagerize? I'm not sure I agree with the court's decision in that case but I get your point.

It doesn't change my opinion that if the author, the publisher and even the actors in the movie, all say the book is a work of fiction, we should probably take them at their word.

SkapePhin
05-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Isn't that the book that the UK court say that Brown did not plagerize? I'm not sure I agree with the court's decision in that case but I get your point.

It doesn't change my opinion that if the author, the publisher and even the actors in the movie, all say the book is a work of fiction, we should probably take them at their word.

He didnt plageurize the book because he CITED them. They had absolutely no case.

Now, Saving Private Ryan is a work of fiction, correct? Yet its based on real events.. Same here, only not of the same magnitude.. Its based off of a historical theory, which many would deem to be a conspiracy theory, but a real life theory, based on historical events, nontheless..

steeda
05-15-2006, 10:20 AM
Doesn't the movie come out pretty soon? I am not much of a book reader, but I'll sit down for a few hours and watch the flick.

Motion
05-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Doesn't the movie come out pretty soon? I am not much of a book reader, but I'll sit down for a few hours and watch the flick.

This Friday, May 19th.

Roman529
05-15-2006, 05:44 PM
The story itself hasn't been proven to be false, it is just that Dan Brown made a lot of assumptions that were "reaches." The Priory of Scion, the Knights Templar, Opus Dei, Rosslyn Chapel, and many of the places/people and organizations are or were real...he just hasn't proven his main premise that Mary Magdalene was the wife of Christ and that she had a child whose descendants are alive today.....it is a great story though. Can't wait to see the movie, and that albino guy!!! :wink:

Maynard the Hammer
05-15-2006, 06:28 PM
i loved the first 1/3 of the book, but after that, i thought it was pretty crappy

i wouldnt expect the church to say that they have seen the light and endorse the movie. i think the greek orthodox church is from the eastern roman empire.