PDA

View Full Version : Will video break the Internet?

BAMAPHIN 22
05-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Every day, it seems, a new service pops up offering to send you video over the Internet. "Desperate Housewives," Stephen Colbert heckling the president, clips of bad dancers at wedding parties: It's all there.

You may be up for it, but is the Internet?

The answer from the major Internet service providers, the telephone and cable companies, is "no." Small clips are fine, but TV-quality and especially high-definition programming could make the Internet choke.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12746808/

AquaInferno
05-15-2006, 09:38 AM
I read that, and I don't really think so. If shows were offered as .zip downloads for several episodes people would download and watch offline, kinda how the torrents work. People are constantly running torrents and those haven't clogged the net. It's all about how smart these companies are, if they insist on streaming the video then yea I could see the internet getting clogged up.

dQbell
05-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Interesting topic here. I read an online article a while back that talked about how the US is behind in planning and implementing broadband capabilities. "Super Broadband" was the terminology they talked of. It's in places like Japan (a place we have traditionally trailed as far as technology goes).

Of course, demand will always play a major role in the success of TV/Movies over the internet. It's not a matter of can the internet handle it. The interenet is only as strong as the servers/connections being offered. FinHeaven is a good example of this. Remember how the forums would slow down when hot topics of news or games were going on? Since then, I believe they have modififed their servers to meet the demand of "hits" this site was receiving.

Either way, I believe the content and the methods in which we obtain it will change dramaticly in the next ten years. Just as my first PC had a 2GB hard drive and now my 3 year old laptop has 40GBs, technology will change.

It is our destiniy.

ChrisKo
05-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Just as my first PC had a 2GB hard drive and now my 3 year old laptop has 40GBs, technology will change.

It is our destiniy.

2GB on your first computer????? OMG, I feel old. I started with 360k Floppy diskettes. I remember my first hard drive was a 20mb hard card (yes, no IDE, it was mounted to a card) and thought I'd never use that much space.

EDIT: wait, your older than me....guess you got into computers later than I did.

dQbell
05-15-2006, 01:30 PM
2GB on your first computer????? OMG, I feel old. I started with 360k Floppy diskettes. I remember my first hard drive was a 20mb hard card (yes, no IDE, it was mounted to a card) and thought I'd never use that much space.

EDIT: wait, your older than me....guess you got into computers later than I did.

I got my first PC in 98' (that excludes the Commodore 64 I had growing up). So, I kinda did get into the market a bit late. It's funny though. I remember growing up and my mother always being concerned about using it for "something constructive." Ha ha. Seems it always came back down to gaming, no?

Superself
05-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Umm no. How do you break the internet with video?

Compression gets better every few months. mpeg 4 is really good....where a 6 gig 2hour movie can now get compressed to about 680 megs.

Also you have to remember that not everyone has broadband access. A lot of people are still using dial up. I doubt that many of them will actually download a lot big movie files...even if they do, the bandwidth they use up will be very small due to the limitation of their service.