PDA

View Full Version : Another workout question

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 01:44 PM
I am taking MRI NO2 Platinum http://www.getno2.com/ for the first time, i did today. That is not my question however

My question is my workout regime. For example i do say 70lbs 10x, 75 7-8x, 80 5-6x, and then 80 or 85 or so 2-3x. Is this the correct way to do it?

Also my question is type of workouts, maybe you can give me some good ones. Mine are

Bicept: Dumbell Curls hands vertical, dumbell curls hands horizontal, bar curl, knee concentration, and everyother time high and low curls with a bar

Chest: Bench, incline bench, dumbell bench, dumbell incline bench, flies

Tricept: Tricept extension, behind the head with 2 hands, and on a machine i do 2 types of pulldowns one with a rope and one with a straight bar whcih is like the oppsoite of a curl.

Shoulder- a machine its liek flapping your wings, dumbell military press, military press, one where you pull ur arms straigh up and down like infront of u, adn a bar where you pull it up to ur chin

Back- Machine pulldown behind head, infrotn of head(these are a mixture of everything sortof), One where i pull down to my chest, a back machine, and lawnmower pulls.

IF anyone knows of any additonal ones, i would appreciate it

GRAPEAPE
05-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Do you plan on having little skinny chicken legs? You really need to do an entire body workout.
Squats, Lunges, Extensions, Curls

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Do you plan on having little skinny chicken legs? You really need to do an entire body workout.
Squats, Lunges, Extensions, Curls

well i mean i do those, but the place i workout at has a machine for Calves, and thighs and all those. I have been workout out by myself though and i dont do the squats and lunges or w/e b/c the place i go to is a fitness center and like 95% of the people are like 70+

Nappy Roots
05-15-2006, 01:59 PM

you do 2 flats and 2 inclines, but no decline? whats your thinkin on this.

What exactly are you going for? strength or shape?

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 02:05 PM
you do 2 flats and 2 inclines, but no decline? whats your thinkin on this.

What exactly are you going for? strength or shape?

again the place i go doesnt have decline. Im going for um both, but more wantin to get big

Nappy Roots
05-15-2006, 02:07 PM
again the place i go doesnt have decline. Im going for um both, but more wantin to get big

:confused:

how does a gym not have decline, that makes little to no sense.

IMO though, if you wanna get big and shapped, Do Incline before you do flat.

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 02:08 PM

ok ill give that a try. but again its more of a fitness center like cardio for old people to stay inshape

GRAPEAPE
05-15-2006, 02:30 PM
You can do lunges holding dumbells at your side instead of using the bar.

Spray Mucus
05-15-2006, 02:49 PM
My question is my workout regime. For example i do say 70lbs 10x, 75 7-8x, 80 5-6x, and then 80 or 85 or so 2-3x. Is this the correct way to do it?

your reps really don't matter much as long as you stay between 5-12 reps per set. If you do less than 5 your trainig for strength not size. If you do more than 12 it's more of a endurance builder.

You can mix the reps up however you want, and mix up weekly if you like.

Also my question is type of workouts, maybe you can give me some good ones. Mine are

Bicept: Dumbell Curls hands vertical, dumbell curls hands horizontal, bar curl, knee concentration, and everyother time high and low curls with a bar

Tricept: Tricept extension, behind the head with 2 hands, and on a machine i do 2 types of pulldowns one with a rope and one with a straight bar whcih is like the oppsoite of a curl.

Shoulder- a machine its liek flapping your wings, dumbell military press, military press, one where you pull ur arms straigh up and down like infront of u, adn a bar where you pull it up to ur chin

Back- Machine pulldown behind head, infrotn of head(these are a mixture of everything sortof), One where i pull down to my chest, a back machine, and lawnmower pulls.

you need a good mix of Compound and isolation excersizes. Compounds such as Dips and Presses, hit the main muscle while isolated excersises like flys hit the smaller muscles between the bones.

also you should be warry of over training your smaller muscles. small muscles like biceps and triceps should only be trained for no more than 8 sets each session.

larger muscles like chest and quads should go no more than 10 sets.

Generally muscles recover in a 72 hour span, so instead of doing the full 10 sets of chect in 1 session a week, split it up and do 5 sets in 2 session in that week.

it's import that your workouts don't go longer than 1 hour, because it becomes counter productive. You run out of steam thus cheating that muscle you work after the one hour mark. Not to mention your glocogene levels are now running on empty.

here's an example of a good split

Monday

-Chest-
Bench, 3 sets 5,7,9 reps
DBell flys, 2 sets, 10,12 reps

-Lats-
Wide pull ups, 3 sets, 2 sets 1 rep below failure, 1 set to failure

-Middle back-
Bent D-bell rows, 3 sets, 6,8,10 reps

-outside delts-
cable flys, 3 sets, 8,10,12 reps

-traps-
Front shrugs off smith rack, 3 sets, 8,10,12 reps

Tuesday

-Quades-
Squats, 4 sets, 6,8,10,12

Lunges, 3 sets, 8,10,12

-Hamms-
Leg curls, 4 sets, 8,8,10,12

-calves-
Raises, 4 sets, 10,10,10,10

-lower back-
straight leg dead lifts, 3 sets, 8,10,10

-Biceps-
Pull ups (palms facing you, concentrate on bi's not back), 4 sets, all four 1 rep short of failure

incline D-bell curls, 3 sets, 8,8,10

-Wednesday-

rest

-Thursday-

-Chest-

weighted or non weighted DIPS, depending on strength, 3 sets, 1 rep short of failure

Cable flys, 2 sets, 8,12 reps

-serratus-
cable pull down, 3 sets, 10,10,12

-Upper back-
Wide T-bar, 3 sets, 6,8,10 reps

-Traps-
Behind back shrugs off of smith rack, 3 sets, 8,10,12 reps

-4 arms-
front curls, 2 sets, 10,12
reverse curls, 2 sets, 10,12

-Abs-

Upper abs, 3 sets
Side obliques, 2 sets

-Friday-
rest

-Saturday-

-Shoulders-

Military press (hits all delt heads), 4 sets, 5,7,7,9

bent cable pull back (rear delts), 3 sets, 8,10,12

-Triceps-

Close bench press (remeber this is for triceps, you should feel it very litle in the chest), 4 sets, 7,7,8,9

cross face D-bell extensions (on flat bench), 3 sets, 8,10,12

-Biceps-

Concentration curls, 3 sets, 8,10,10

1 handed cable curls (high tempo), 2 sets, to failure

-Abs-

Lower abs, 3 sets

-Sunday-
rest

and last but not least, make sure your nutrition is in check as well as your sleep. the excersize is probably only 20% of your success.

if you like I can help in the nutriton/supplement department as well if you like.

Agent51
05-15-2006, 03:37 PM
You can do lunges holding dumbells at your side instead of using the bar.

ANd they will be MUCH easier that way, in terms of keeping the balance. I don;t really see how doing lunges with a bar lets you use proper form?

Motion
05-15-2006, 04:07 PM
I am taking MRI NO2 Platinum http://www.getno2.com/ for the first time, i did today. That is not my question however

What does your spilt look like? How many days do you workout? What exercises do you do on what day?

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 10:27 PM
What does your spilt look like? How many days do you workout? What exercises do you do on what day?

its gonna be about 4 days a week. Saturday and Sunday i work all day and then during the week i work at nights but i can do 4 times a week, seomthgin like mondya, tuesday, wednedsay friday or something but 4 times from monday-friday.

Also, what are lunges??

I usually do like chest & legs & abs, Shoulders & triceps, Biceps & back, i guess i should split it up for 4 workouts since i will be owrking out 4 times a week.

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 10:29 PM
also you should be warry of over training your smaller muscles. small muscles like biceps and triceps should only be trained for no more than 8 sets each session.

larger muscles like chest and quads should go no more than 10 sets. .

THats it???

8 sets isn't anything thats liek 2-2 1/2 different workouts

10 sets for chest ain't much since like normally people would do decline, incline and flat and then that is all they shoudl do for chest that day? that doesn't seem right

what are the major and minor muslces, i would guess minor would be tri and bi's and major woudl be shoudlers, back and chest??

tucker
05-15-2006, 10:29 PM
so i guess you didnt listen to any of the advice that was given

plus you just wasted your money

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 10:47 PM
so i guess you didnt listen to any of the advice that was given

plus you just wasted your money

how did i not listen to any of hte advice?? and how did i waste my money??

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Spray Marcus how do you work side obliques and what is serratus?

tucker
05-15-2006, 10:55 PM
b/c this is your third weight lifting thread and when we gave you advice on products and you pick NO2? LOL...and we have pretty much gave a perfect game plan to wieght lifting in two other threads on what to eat, how to eat, how to lift, etc. and you keep making these threads..and 8 sets is just fine for chest..just do lower reps..again all this hase been said before

MillerTime
05-15-2006, 10:57 PM
i do 6 sets for my biceps and 8 for my chest each time, so yea what he said was right.

I got a question too. Right now my schedule is like this

Mon: Chest
Tues: Back
Wed: Biceps/triceps
Thurs: Legs
Friday: Shoudlers/abs
Sat: Chest
Sunday: Back
Mon: Biceps/ triceps

and I keep repeating that, working out everyday. is that a good schedule?

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 11:00 PM
b/c this is your third weight lifting thread and when we gave you advice on products and you pick NO2? LOL...and we have pretty much gave a perfect game plan to wieght lifting in two other threads on what to eat, how to eat, how to lift, etc. and you keep making these threads..and 8 sets is just fine for chest..just do lower reps..again all this hase been said before

ok so i didn't pick the product, this wans't about the product, i can make my own choice, i was just looking for some opinions.

And who is to say i am not listening to your eating habits?

In the other thread i never asked about certain workouts, which is what this one is about, i made this trhead to find out some certain workouts that i dont do that some of you might know of.

tucker
05-15-2006, 11:01 PM
if you recover quick enough and are not sore when you do that same muscle again, then it should be ok..also are you seeing results from that schedule? try and do a push/pull routine...ex: chest/bi's, back/tris, shoulders/abs, legs..and i think its good to take 2 days off so i take sat and sundays off

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 11:03 PM
if you recover quick enough and are not sore when you do that same muscle again, then it should be ok..also are you seeing results from that schedule? try and do a push/pull routine...ex: chest/bi's, back/tris, shoulders/abs, legs..and i think its good to take 2 days off so i take sat and sundays off

See thank you

What i want to figure out now is whether i should do what you are sayin which is sorta what i was doing where you do whole groups together or what spray was sayin where you spread them out

tucker
05-15-2006, 11:03 PM
ok so i didn't pick the product, this wans't about the product, i can make my own choice, i was just looking for some opinions.

And who is to say i am not listening to your eating habits?

In the other thread i never asked about certain workouts, which is what this one is about, i made this trhead to find out some certain workouts that i dont do that some of you might know of.even if you didnt ask, wouldnt it have been smart to read through the ones that have already answered these questions..and if they werent answered then, then post in that thread? plus i'm just trying to tell you that NO2 is a waste of money...if you wanted an NO2 product, you could have just gotten Nitrix

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 11:06 PM
even if you didnt ask, wouldnt it have been smart to read through the ones that have already answered these questions..and if they werent answered then, then post in that thread? plus i'm just trying to tell you that NO2 is a waste of money...if you wanted an NO2 product, you could have just gotten Nitrix

I got this NO2 because my friend which i talked aobut int he other thread used this and said it worked for him and he was buying another bottle so i went with him becuase i couldn't decide form all the other ones that you guys suggested.

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 11:07 PM
even if you didnt ask, wouldnt it have been smart to read through the ones that have already answered these questions..and if they werent answered then, then post in that thread? plus i'm just trying to tell you that NO2 is a waste of money...if you wanted an NO2 product, you could have just gotten Nitrix

again what i was looking for wasn't in the other thread, i wanted certain workouts primarily tricep workouts that i didnt do, i didn't ask about that in theother thread

tucker
05-15-2006, 11:09 PM
See thank you

What i want to figure out now is whether i should do what you are sayin which is sorta what i was doing where you do whole groups together or what spray was sayin where you spread them outits a pick your poison situation..at the moment i do neither, i do a power, rep range, shock training

UCFinfan86
05-15-2006, 11:12 PM
its a pick your poison situation..at the moment i do neither, i do a power, rep range, shock training

if you wouldn't mind how does that go? Im just tryin to gain a bunch of different methods

tucker
05-15-2006, 11:19 PM
http://ironmagazine.com/article65.html

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/showthread.php?t=31408

Motion
05-16-2006, 08:48 AM
THats it???

8 sets isn't anything thats liek 2-2 1/2 different workouts

10 sets for chest ain't much since like normally people would do decline, incline and flat and then that is all they shoudl do for chest that day? that doesn't seem right

what are the major and minor muslces, i would guess minor would be tri and bi's and major woudl be shoudlers, back and chest??

YES, thats it. Overtraining is a very easy thing to do. More is not always better. Especially when it comes to weightlifting. Many people train each body section only once a week and get great results.

If your just starting out, focus on compound movements, using multiple muscles, such as Squat, Deadlift, Pullups,etc....

saves
05-16-2006, 02:05 PM

I know many very large individuals that don't even bother with decline. Some say it decrease your overall bench. I don't know if thats true or not, but I don't see why of all the things he said you made a fuss about his lack of decline.

Motion
05-16-2006, 02:18 PM
I know many very large individuals that don't even bother with decline. Some say it decrease your overall bench. I don't know if thats true or not, but I don't see why of all the things he said you made a fuss about his lack of decline.
I agree, Out of the 3 (Incline, Flat, Decline) Decline is BY FAR the least effective when it come to building muscle and adding strength. Don't get me wrong, it has its place but definitely not before the other two. There are far more serious issues at hand in this particular situation. :lol:

Motion
05-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Probably should have asked this question LONG before you asked about all the advanced supplement questions. Always good to build a natural base before you get involved with the muscle building supplements.

Scrap
05-16-2006, 03:09 PM
What are your goals ? Do you want to be a bodybuilder, a powerlifter, or just "get in good shape" ?

UCFinfan86
05-16-2006, 05:47 PM
What are your goals ? Do you want to be a bodybuilder, a powerlifter, or just "get in good shape" ?

get bigger and stronger

Motion
05-17-2006, 10:39 AM
http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

read it, be it, live it...

follow this max ot training program...you wont be sorry

Highly recommend this to anyone just starting or even an experienced lifter. Great program.

Spray Mucus
05-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Spray Marcus how do you work side obliques and what is serratus?

sorry, I wasn't here yesterday, I would have loved to be part of this convo.

Everything about the 8-10 set per muscle has already been answered and now to adress this question.

side Obliques (go to the botom of the page)
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Spine.html#anchor168454
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Obliques/CBSideBend.html

Serratus is your rib cage, those fingure looking muscles right under your pecs.
http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/SerratusAnterior.html

Spray Mucus
05-17-2006, 11:17 AM
i do 6 sets for my biceps and 8 for my chest each time, so yea what he said was right.

Depends on how your body is responding to this workout. How long do you lift for each session? so you only do 8 sets a day?

I would never write something like this up for myself, only because rest is important to growth.

asnswer my question in italic and we can go from there.

Motion
05-17-2006, 11:32 AM

Missed this one til Spray Mucus quoted it, and I agree 100% with him. This is not a good plan. Rest is extremely important to any workout plan, as that is when your muscle actaully grows. IMO, 4 days a week is ideal, 5 tops. The plan I'm on right now is only 3 days and I'm seeing great results.

You may want to group similar functioning muscle groups, i.e. Chest and Triceps, Back and Biceps, Chest and Shoulders, etc....

Good excerpt from the MAX-OT program regarding rest......

Train each muscle group once every 5 to 7 days

Here we go from "immediate" between set muscle recovery (STR) to "intermediate" recovery (ITR) - the recovery between training sessions of the same muscle group. Example: The time between one leg workout until your next leg workout.

This is very, very important and one of the major components responsible for facilitating the muscle growth process. Recovery. How many times have you heard this word? Do you really understand what it means and what impact it has on muscle growth? I can answer that with one word - everything. Complete recovery of each muscle group after a Max-OT training session before the same muscle group is subjected to overload again is of equal importance to the overall results as the actual training itself. Recuperation is everything.

There are many things you can do to enhance recovery. Nutritional advances have made this a "no-brainer" and almost foolproof process. We will get into that in greater detail later. Right now we are primarily concerned with the "time" between workouts to allow for full muscle recovery. Most training programs have you training way too often. This habit is to hard break. Building muscle is an "excess-endeavor". You always want more. This being a major motivation, it's against normal thought to - do less to get more.

The muscle growth process does not occur in the gym. Let me repeat, muscle growth does not occur in the gym. Muscle growth occurs during the recovery period - the critical time between workouts of the same muscle groups. As a result of overload, muscle must adapt to compensate for future overload.
Pretty much applies to any workout program.

tucker
05-17-2006, 03:40 PM
if you recover quick enough and are not sore when you do that same muscle again, then it should be ok..also are you seeing results from that schedule? try and do a push/pull routine...ex: chest/bi's, back/tris, shoulders/abs, legs..and i think its good to take 2 days off so i take sat and sundays off imo