PDA

View Full Version : Joggers in Davie watch them gators

Spray Mucus
05-15-2006, 06:07 PM
This is like the 4th gator attack in FL in like a couple of months right?

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0513alligator0513.html

NaboCane
05-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Not to be mean or anything...OK I'll be mean.

You have to be some kind of lame to be a runner and not be able to get away from a gator.

Spray Mucus
05-15-2006, 06:24 PM

You have to be some kind of lame to be a runner and not be able to get away from a gator.

excuse my ignorance on this one but, arn't gators pretty quick when they strike?

NaboCane
05-15-2006, 06:32 PM
excuse my ignorance on this one but, arn't gators pretty quick when they strike?

:lol: Sure they are, but...dude, you can see them coming a mile away! It's not like they're stealthy little guys...

I was an avid bass fisherman when I lived there, and I had my share of encounters, including one close one. But I'll tell you, even now with replaced knees, there's no way I can't outrun a gator on land.

And you never, never dangle your legs near the surface of a Florida canal. There are like 500 million deadly species of everything imaginable in Florida, and they all dream of killing you every night.

Maynard the Hammer
05-15-2006, 06:37 PM
what an awful way to die

cnc66
05-15-2006, 06:59 PM

she was seen dangling her legs in the water before she was killed

Nabo, a gator can outrun a human for short distances, they can lunge a few feet up on land and will stand up on a tree trunk, back legs on the ground front legs grabbing the trunk to chase someone(me) up a tree. In the water they can come up out of the water nearly half their length, which means they can come in the boat with you.

TJamesW_phinfan
05-15-2006, 07:31 PM
They can move very fast in short bursts and if she was near underbrush that could hide the gator it could nail her pretty fast. Or it may have just grabbed her when she was sitting near the canal. They can be stealthy in the right environment by moving very slow and quiet then attack with an amazing burst.

There was a show on one of the science channels about a woman who was working in a yard that bordered a lake and one got her on shore then dragged her to the water. It happened in the Sanibel Island area.

NaboCane
05-15-2006, 07:33 PM
she was seen dangling her legs in the water before she was killed

Nabo, a gator can outrun a human for short distances, they can lunge a few feet up on land and will stand up on a tree trunk, back legs on the ground front legs grabbing the trunk to chase someone(me) up a tree. In the water they can come up out of the water nearly half their length, which means they can come in the boat with you.

I was fishing muttons on a bank in Black Point a few years ago with a buddy. I'm a pretty relaxed fisherman, but I stay aware of my surroundings; I grew up there, and I know how quick a water moccasin can sneak up on you.

I didn't see the gator, but I saw the water move...real subtle, but I caught it. At first I thought it might be a snake, but it wasn't on the surface...I told my bud to get away from the bank, and it seemed like right then the gator came up out onto the bank. We both dropped our rods and ran back to his truck about 50 feet back, the gator after us the whole time...but I can tell you, he never even got close.

We got up in the bed of the truck and the lizard stuck around for a bit, but he eventually left. We waited until we were sure he was in the water before going back for our rods - this time well-armed.

Majpain
05-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Gators can run pretty fast.There have been cases of them out running people.Hard to believe yes but its true.Also the Gator could have snuck up.

Maynard the Hammer
05-15-2006, 07:41 PM
I was fishing muttons on a bank in Black Point a few years ago with a buddy. I'm a pretty relaxed fisherman, but I stay aware of my surroundings; I grew up there, and I know how quick a water moccasin can sneak up on you.

I didn't see the gator, but I saw the water move...real subtle, but I caught it. At first I thought it might be a snake, but it wasn't on the surface...I told my bud to get away from the bank, and it seemed like right then the gator came up out onto the bank. We both dropped our rods and ran back to his truck about 50 feet back, the gator after us the whole time...but I can tell you, he never even got close.

We got up in the bed of the truck and the lizard stuck around for a bit, but he eventually left. We waited until we were sure he was in the water before going back for our rods - this time well-armed.maybe the gator had a bum knee

cnc, you got chased up a tree? thats insane

SkapePhin
05-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Thats sad.. RIP

Anyway, Ive heard of a worse animal death. These 2 kids were canoeing on the on one of the Amazon tributaries when they saw a jaguar swimming some distance away.. So these genius kids decided to go check it out. When they got close, one kid decided to smack it in the head with paddle, so the jaguar dove underwater briefly, lunged up, and ripped the kid in half. The other kid was spared. Dont screw with swimming jaguars.

Rocky Raccoon
05-15-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't care where I live...my head will forever be on a swivel now. That scares me...if only they were like the Gators football team, they don't beat anyone :rolleyes:

GRAPEAPE
05-15-2006, 09:04 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/warningalliga9xb-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=)

cnc66
05-15-2006, 09:38 PM

We got up in the bed of the truck and the lizard stuck around for a bit, but he eventually left. We waited until we were sure he was in the water before going back for our rods - this time well-armed.

Sure it was a gator? there croc at Black Point, although they are reputed to be shy. They took a fifeteen and twelve footer out of Arch Creek in 1892.

Maynard, not once but twice. I worked on a survey crew for water management, SWFWMD. We worked the deep dark Green Swamp trying to recover the original section and quarter corners. I was the rod man and was setting up my tripod when a she gator about 8-9 feet came out of friggen nowhere huffed up hissing and coming for me. Good for me was the sweet gums that were close, bad was the gator had a cutoff advantage, I made it but only because I was moving. I used every available item for climbing traction including the broomstick thick poison ivy vines. That gator came up that trunk four feet after my feet and if I hadn't squirrelled around the tree some she might've won.

The eye man saw me running and cautiously came my way until we could holler back and forth. After I told him what was up...the gator was all hissing and chomping her jaws under the tree still, not very far away, I never took my eyes off her, Chuck hollers back to the truck, to our party chief "Marty's treed by a gator see what he brought for lunch he won't need it," and he left. She had a nest we were unaware of very nearby and we had to abandon that leg until she was done.

I had to go get my gear, I wasn't coming out of the swamp without my gear. This time I beat her by a mile.

NaboCane
05-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Sure it was a gator? there croc at Black Point, although they are reputed to be shy. They took a fifeteen and twelve footer out of Arch Creek in 1892.

Maynard, not once but twice. I worked on a survey crew for water management, SWFWMD. We worked the deep dark Green Swamp trying to recover the original section and quarter corners. I was the rod man and was setting up my tripod when a she gator about 8-9 feet came out of friggen nowhere huffed up hissing and coming for me. Good for me was the sweet gums that were close, bad was the gator had a cutoff advantage, I made it but only because I was moving. I used every available item for climbing traction including the broomstick thick poison ivy vines. That gator came up that trunk four feet after my feet and if I hadn't squirrelled around the tree some she might've won.

The eye man saw me running and cautiously came my way until we could holler back and forth. After I told him what was up...the gator was all hissing and chomping her jaws under the tree still, not very far away, I never took my eyes off her, Chuck hollers back to the truck, to our party chief "Marty's treed by a gator see what he brought for lunch he won't need it," and he left. She had a nest we were unaware of very nearby and we had to abandon that leg until she was done.

I had to go get my gear, I wasn't coming out of the swamp without my gear. This time I beat her by a mile.

Nah, I know it was a gator by the way I didn't crap my pants. :lol: Gators usually don't come after you, croc is something I don't wanna mess with.

Your encounter was of the third kind Marty.

Mike13
05-15-2006, 10:03 PM
I have never been attacked by an alligator(although I have had some nightmares that I have.)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/05/warningalliga9xb-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=)

That is the reason why there have been attacks recently, the gators are moving though canals and into lakes looking for another gator to ****.

tucker
05-15-2006, 10:19 PM
maybe people shouldnt run around lakes?

and i heard they found an arm in one of the alligators

TerryTate
05-16-2006, 05:56 AM
Gators when still in even the smallest bit of brush also aren't noticeable since they are so idle. If you are caught in a bad position, you may be screwed no matter what.

Noodle Arm
05-16-2006, 09:34 AM
Of course some of the local news stations (coughchannel7cough) are hyping this up to scare people. In fact, animal catchers are getting tons of calls now for gators as small as 2 feet. One idiot says he wants to kill all the gators so we can be safe :shakeno:

Motion
05-16-2006, 09:40 AM
Must have been Seminole fans :lol:

No seriously, thats crazy.