PDA

View Full Version : Just joined a gym

SuavePhin
05-15-2006, 07:08 PM
I just signed up for a 99 day trial at Golds, any of our resident buff fin fans have a good recommendation or two, like good warm ups, ect ect. my goal is to take off some of the stomach before it gets huge (i have a fat family genepool lol) and improve my pecs, biceps, and calf muscles, any tips/suggestions would be appreciated :D

Caps
05-15-2006, 07:27 PM
I just signed up for a 99 day trial at Golds, any of our resident buff fin fans have a good recommendation or two, like good warm ups, ect ect. my goal is to take off some of the stomach before it gets huge (i have a fat family genepool lol) and improve my pecs, biceps, and calf muscles, any tips/suggestions would be appreciated :D

Buy "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" by Arnold Schwarzenegger if you're serious about making exercise a part of your lifestyle. That book has everything you'll ever need to know about working out.

SkapePhin
05-15-2006, 07:29 PM
Askmen.com's Virtual Personal Trainer is pretty cool.

saves
05-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Buy "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" by Arnold Schwarzenegger if you're serious about making exercise a part of your lifestyle. That book has everything you'll ever need to know about working out.

Read that cover to cover last summer. Very informative. I actually used a workout from the book all last summer and had good results.
It was
Monday Thursday Chest/back
Tuesday Friday Arms/Shoulders
Wednesday Saturday Legs

about 3-4 exercies per muscle, sets of 4

I lost about 10 pounds over the course of the summer and got my bench up to around 250 while weighing 170. Not too bad for about an hour a day. I didn't really do any cardio per se, but I played alot of sports and worked outside most of the day.

I'm using that same workout now, but I think I am going to switch to a one muscle group once a week schedule sometime in the next month.

tylerdolphin
05-15-2006, 08:14 PM
Check out "Body for Life"
Nice book. Great results.

Phins28
05-15-2006, 08:27 PM
If you want to lose weight cardio(running, walking,etc..) it's a must, 30-45 minutes 3-5 per week. This is my Weightlifting Workout Routine.

Monday - Chest/Triceps
Tuesday - Legs
Wednesday - off
Thursday - Shoulders
Friday - Back/Biceps
Saturday - off
Sunday - off

Scrap
05-15-2006, 09:40 PM
Real quickly....
( I don't have much time to post)

Weight training, and cardio.

Weight training ......resistance training gives you the muscle which burns calories just by having it. Result=Increased metabolism.

Cardio.....Not so fast that you get out of breathe. Too intense, and you'll be burning the wrong calories.

Food......Eat 4-6 meals per day. Divide your target number of calories up into those meals. Slightly more calories in the meal just before your most active time of the day.Try to stay with low glycemic index foods. High glycemic index foods cause an insulin response which flushes the sugars out of your blood stream, and quickly stores it as fat. www.mendosa.com has a good list of foods, and their glycemic indexes. Oh, and fiber is your friend.

Patience, and consistency are probably the 2 best things you can have. Also, don't go in there and expect super fast results....Rome wasn't built in a day.

I could right you a book on this stuff....if I had time. Maybe later. See ya.

Caps
05-15-2006, 09:47 PM
Read that cover to cover last summer. Very informative. I actually used a workout from the book all last summer and had good results.
It was
Monday Thursday Chest/back
Tuesday Friday Arms/Shoulders
Wednesday Saturday Legs

about 3-4 exercies per muscle, sets of 4

I lost about 10 pounds over the course of the summer and got my bench up to around 250 while weighing 170. Not too bad for about an hour a day. I didn't really do any cardio per se, but I played alot of sports and worked outside most of the day.

I'm using that same workout now, but I think I am going to switch to a one muscle group once a week schedule sometime in the next month.

Yeah the book is awesome. I follow it all the time and it's listing of all kinds of different exercises really comes in handy when I start to get bored with my workout. It's really like a weightlifting bible, no other sources are really neccessary if you have it.

dominizzo
05-15-2006, 09:53 PM
if u neeed help on training pmm me i love training naturally and taking health shakes ive been training for 8 yrs

SuavePhin
05-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the imput, tomorrow is the first day wish me luck!:cooldude: :lifter:

Roman529
05-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Walking and cardio is a good way to start.

Slappy8800
05-15-2006, 10:19 PM
just stick ur finger down ur throat.

dont listen to ur sister chris that doesnt work

HysterikiLL
05-15-2006, 10:21 PM

My favorite chapter is "Groping or fondling: The art of the 10 minute co-ed workout".

tucker
05-15-2006, 10:28 PM
http://www.ast-ss.com/max-ot/max-ot_intro.asp

read it, be it, live it...

follow this max ot training program...you wont be sorry

Roman529
05-15-2006, 10:29 PM

No Girlie men. :lol:

t2thejz
05-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Real quickly....

Cardio.....Not so fast that you get out of breathe. Too intense, and you'll be burning the wrong calories.

I dont understand the whole wrong calories thing. I always figured running was a great excersize for the legs, and wouldnt slow down any other muscles from getting bigger

tucker
05-15-2006, 10:44 PM
i'm a supporter of high intensity cardio..it burns more calories and burns fat while not buring muscle

Scrap
05-16-2006, 06:53 AM
I dont understand the whole wrong calories thing. I always figured running was a great excersize for the legs, and wouldnt slow down any other muscles from getting biggerAt the right intensity level, your body will be more apt to use fats for calorie burning. At the wrong intensity, your body will be forced to use some proteins.

Motion
05-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Real quickly....
( I don't have much time to post)

Weight training, and cardio.

Weight training ......resistance training gives you the muscle which burns calories just by having it. Result=Increased metabolism.

Food......Eat 4-6 meals per day. Divide your target number of calories up into those meals. Slightly more calories in the meal just before your most active time of the day.Try to stay with low glycemic index foods. High glycemic index foods cause an insulin response which flushes the sugars out of your blood stream, and quickly stores it as fat. www.mendosa.com (http://www.mendosa.com) has a good list of foods, and their glycemic indexes. Oh, and fiber is your friend.

Patience, and consistency are probably the 2 best things you can have. Also, don't go in there and expect super fast results....Rome wasn't built in a day.

I could right you a book on this stuff....if I had time. Maybe later. See ya.

Good post

Motion
05-16-2006, 09:06 AM
I dont understand the whole wrong calories thing. I always figured running was a great excersize for the legs, and wouldnt slow down any other muscles from getting bigger
Good for the legs, bad for other muscle groups. If you want to burn fat and not muscle you should stay in a target heart rate range off about 70% of full intensity.

I always do my cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Incline treadmill at about 3 mph for 30-45 minutes.

Motion
05-16-2006, 09:08 AM

MAX-OT is GREAT, definitely one of my favorite routines. I mix that in with the Ironman HIT program and any of Chad Waterbury's programs regularly.

Scrap
05-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Good post
Thanks. I love working out. I just wish I had a training partner right about now. There aren't any spotters at home. I'll admit, I've been kind of slack lately. The only thing I've been doing for the past 2 months is benching, and a few sets of curls here and there. Oh, and riding my bike a little.

Motion
05-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks. I love working out. I just wish I had a training partner right about now. There aren't any spotters at home. I'll admit, I've been kind of slack lately. The only thing I've been doing for the past 2 months is benching, and a few sets of curls here and there. Oh, and riding my bike a little.

Yeah I hear ya. A good lifting partner does wonders. I do most of my lifting at home because of that fact, so hard to find someone thats as serious as I am about it.

Scrap
05-16-2006, 03:22 PM
I have an olympic bench, a curl bar, and 330 pounds of weight. (including the 45 pound bar)

I have two people who come and go as workout partners. Neither one lasts long before having a good excuse.

SuavePhin
05-16-2006, 06:18 PM
first day done......sore.....hungry........must watch Heat/Floppers playoff game tonight

Motion
05-17-2006, 10:38 AM

Highly recommend this to anyone just starting or even an experienced lifter. Great program.

Spray Mucus
05-17-2006, 11:05 AM
What is your work out plan look like?

meaning do you do weights and Cardio? Weights one day, cardio next?

also, if you like, I can write you up a meal plan, because the weight traing portion has been covered. I also indorse Max-OT!

if you want me to write up a meal plan, I'll need to know your height and weight.

Motion
11-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Any updates Suave?

greatwade
11-02-2006, 04:19 PM
What is your work out plan look like?

meaning do you do weights and Cardio? Weights one day, cardio next?

also, if you like, I can write you up a meal plan, because the weight traing portion has been covered. I also indorse Max-OT!

if you want me to write up a meal plan, I'll need to know your height and weight.

I'm 6'4" and about 185lbs depending on my outfit that day. I like walks in the park and full body massages. I eat whatever and enjoy drugs and alcohol. Will you write me something? Meal plan, short story or poem would be super.

I'd like to know if it's okay to do cardio, weights and a vigirous self gratification regiment all in the same day, or should one alternate days??

:hi5:thanks in advance, Mr. Swole!

Spray Mucus
11-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Any updates Suave?

he took eating 6 times a day to seriously.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/11/3034f28f65c31ea3dcdb63772d7f1f6811-1.jpg

Spray Mucus
11-02-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm 6'4" and about 185lbs depending on my outfit that day. I like walks in the park and full body massages. I eat whatever and enjoy drugs and alcohol. Will you write me something? Meal plan, short story or poem would be super.

I'd like to know if it's okay to do cardio, weights and a vigirous self gratification regiment all in the same day, or should one alternate days??

:hi5:thanks in advance, Mr. Swole!

drink 8 warm glasses of shut the hell up a day and you'll be diesel my friend.. DIESEL!

Also one should never play tennis, not because it's good excersize... but it's gay.

Motion
11-02-2006, 04:23 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2006/11/3034f28f65c31ea3dcdb63772d7f1f6811-1.jpg

Happens to the best of us. :lol:

SuavePhin
11-02-2006, 04:27 PM

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/bandaidmed/3034f28f65c31ea3dcdb63772d7f1f6811.jpg

:lol: man i forgot i made this thread, i re-upped for the full year membership, so far so good, dropped about 30 lbs and lost a few pant sizes, almost lost all of the tummy gut, next i'll probably work on some arm/chest areas.

Motion
11-02-2006, 04:28 PM
:lol: man i forgot i made this thread, i re-upped for the full year membership, so far so good, dropped about 30 lbs and lost a few pant sizes, almost lost all of the tummy gut, next i'll probably work on some arm/chest areas.

:clap: Props for sticking with it bro. Good job!